PDA

View Full Version : how do you contain a nuclear north korea?

ronaldo23
03-20-2013, 11:34 AM
since liberals/neocons always argue that the danger is north korea selling nuclear arms to terrorist groups or the highest bidder? In the event of a third party nuclear attack from a group that has likely acquired weapons from NK (but that we don't know for sure), how does the US respond to that attack?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/03/19/north-korea-nuclear-sale-fears_n_2906750.html

FSP-Rebel
03-20-2013, 11:41 AM
DPRK just wants the US out of SK and to stop doing offensive military drills with them 4 times a year.

kcchiefs6465
03-20-2013, 11:46 AM
http://i.imgur.com/68VPH0F.jpg?1

They look pretty contained already.

ronaldo23
03-20-2013, 11:48 AM
http://i.imgur.com/68VPH0F.jpg?1

They look pretty contained already.

true, millions die from starvation each year, they have labor camps, no electricity and yet the political elite seems to not care less about any of this. Kim Jong Il used to import 1000 dollar shark fin soup to eat every night and drink thousand dollar bottles of cognac

But why wouldn't north korea sell nuclear weapons to terrorist groups to the highest bidder? It seems even if the US got out, why wouldn't they do that? Especially since it seems the military is running the show now.

kcchiefs6465
03-20-2013, 11:51 AM
As to your question of selling to terrorists North Korea has what.. a couple of nuclear warheads? They aren't going to sell one to anybody. It took them too long to get what they have. Terrorists don't have a delivery vehicle even if they did acquire one. Same with Iran.

ETA: North Korea is estimated to have 12-27 nuclear weapons equivalents (ISIS mid-range estimate)

I didn't think it was that many but even so, they aren't going to sell one to anybody.

TokenLibertarianGuy
03-20-2013, 11:56 AM
If North Korea detonated the nuclear bomb they have at the Empire State Building, people in Central Park would be unaffected.

ronaldo23
03-20-2013, 11:57 AM
As to your question of selling to terrorists North Korea has what.. a couple of nuclear warheads? They aren't going to sell one to anybody. It took them too long to get what they have. Terrorists don't have a delivery vehicle even if they did acquire one. Same with Iran.

ETA: North Korea is estimated to have 12-27 nuclear weapons equivalents (ISIS mid-range estimate)

I didn't think it was that many but even so, they aren't going to sell one to anybody.

how are you so sure of this?

kcchiefs6465
03-20-2013, 12:01 PM
true, millions die from starvation each year, they have labor camps, no electricity and yet the political elite seems to not care less about any of this. Kim Jong Il used to import 1000 dollar shark fin soup to eat every night and drink thousand dollar bottles of cognac

The political elite don't care about our labor camps either. I'd imagine North Korea's are worse but still. How do you think the license plate was made for your car? There is a thread recently created about the private prison lobbying efforts. The prisoners make what, 12 cents an hour? [IIRC] Slavery [rather, indentured servitude] is alive and well in the states.

We have many problems here that need action. North Koreans will overcome the tyranny of Kim Jong Un eventually. Our sanctions aren't really helping with that effort either. Rather, many people in North Korea still view Kim Jong Un favorably because of them. We are encouraging nationalism and strengthening the regime we are opposed to. It is a failed policy all the way around.

North Korea talks tough but it's really rather cute. Especially when you watch the short propaganda films that I, with no animation experience whatsoever, could top, in just a few days.

kcchiefs6465
03-20-2013, 12:04 PM
how are you so sure of this?
It took them too long to acquire them. They need them as a deterrent against our want to use of force.

They have a couple dozen, we have 1,550. Should they think it wise to use one or to sell one that is used against us, Pyongyang will be turned to glass before all of the survivors are pulled from the rubble. Kim Jong Un does not have a death wish and I'd imagine he enjoys his life of $1,000 shark fin soup and good cognac. He's an oppressive leader sure, but is no threat whatsoever to us.

kcchiefs6465
03-20-2013, 12:06 PM
If North Korea detonated the nuclear bomb they have at the Empire State Building, people in Central Park would be unaffected.
Yes. And then all of North Korea would be dark at night.

shane77m
03-20-2013, 12:22 PM
Ending sanctions might help. Spread some love to the people over there. Seems like there is something in some book about heaping coals of fire....

shane77m
03-20-2013, 06:00 PM
http://uberhumor.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/everything-is-true-2.jpg

paulbot24
03-20-2013, 06:18 PM
I think the question our leaders are asking might be at the root of the "lights over North Korea" scary situation. "How do you obtain a North Korean central bank?"