PDA

View Full Version : WA state representative argues bicycles pollute more than cars

aGameOfThrones
03-19-2013, 05:28 PM
Isn't bicycling supposed to reduce carbon emissions and free up traffic jam congestion? Well, it's actually making matters worse, argues a state representative from Washington. "You would be giving off more CO2 if you are riding a bike than driving in a car," claims Ed Orcutt (R – Kalama, WA).

The state rep reportedly explained the situation in a letter to a constituent. Said constituent had questioned the wisdom of a new Washington bike tax that the legislature is considering as part of a large transportation package. According to Orcutt, a cyclist "has an increased heart rate and respiration. That means that the act of riding a bike results in greater emissions of carbon dioxide from the rider."

For any bike riding activists already annoyed with Orcutt, he goes even further: Orcutt argues people who ride bikes do not pay for the roads when they ride. So, they're getting a free ride and polluting the atmosphere while doing it.

http://green.autoblog.com/2013/03/08/wa-state-representative-argues-bikes-pollute-more-than-cars-bac/

dannno
03-19-2013, 06:09 PM
Uhhh,,,,.... Uhmmmmm... Wait..... Wtf??

Ok, so if you ride a bike four miles to work you need more nutrition than if you drive. That nutrition comes from somewhere, it requires energy to produce and transport. That creates pollution. Would need a scientific study before determining that it is worse for the environment than a car, mile for mile..

Bern
03-19-2013, 06:14 PM
Haha. There's something polluting the atmosphere all right, but it isn't my respiration.

seapilot
03-19-2013, 06:46 PM
Just when I thought politicians could not get any more stupid they go and raise the bar again.

brushfire
03-19-2013, 07:08 PM
I was thinking that maybe he was going to talk about how some cyclists contribute to congestion, when there's no bike lane. The increased congestion causes cars to operate inefficiently, emitting more co2 while they idle/stop/go. Nope - wayyy off. Idiot is comparing a human respiration to an internal combustion engine.

MisfitToy
03-19-2013, 07:24 PM
bloomberg has some competition.

BAllen
03-19-2013, 08:45 PM
It's called incentive, you dumb-ass! Cycling with no road tax is an incentive to use less fuel, which reduces pollution emission from cars. Leave it to a stupid politician NOT to see that.

acptulsa
03-20-2013, 07:49 AM
A ~200 lb. combination of human and bicycle doing fifteen miles an hour puts out more carbon dioxide exhaling half the time than a two liter engine burining fossil fuels all the time and moving a two thousand pound box at thirty per? I suppose it puts out as much carbon monoxide and partially burned hydrocarbons (real pollutants that not even trees like)? A driver who isn't breathing hard puts out zero carbon dioxide, or did he factor that in? And I suppose humans eventually pollute the ground more than a used-up catalytic converter?

And ~200 lbs. on two wheels causes as much wear and tear on the roads as 2000 lbs. on four wheels?

Somebody just pegged my Fail-O-Meter.