PDA

View Full Version : Ohio judge calls speed cameras a "scam"

aGameOfThrones
03-19-2013, 04:58 PM
Elmwood Village, Ohio photo enforcement signThere's only one thing better than fighting the man, and that's watching the man fight himself. A Hamilton County, Ohio judge has ruled against an ordinance that allowed the village of Elmwood Place to install speed cameras. The town of just 2,000 people has already seen the cameras generate some $1.5 million in fines since they were installed last July, and USA Today reports Judge Robert Ruehlman believes "Elwood place is engaged in nothing more than a high-tech game of Three-card Monty," adding, "It is a scam the motorist cannot win."

http://www.autoblog.com/2013/03/16/ohio-judge-calls-speed-cameras-a-scam-earns-spot-on-our-chris/

KrokHead
03-19-2013, 05:51 PM
Whenever I see those things I like "fuck!" Those swearjars are filling up fast.

Fivezeroes
03-19-2013, 05:52 PM
They are scams, because you'll never beat the ticket. Once you get caught it's an instant $50 fine.

paulbot24
03-19-2013, 06:09 PM
Our city tried photo radar. They had the jurisdiction to issue tickets based on the photo information, but they lacked the jurisdiction to actually force the collection of the fine, which was usually about $100. Solution: just throw the citation away when it came in the mail and it went away. Then our voters voted against the cameras upon realizing red-light running and vehicular deaths were rising because of the cameras, although they didn't actually take them down. You'll notice they might pull the plug on something from time to time, but they never remove anything off of the grid once it is there. Now we're told they are used to compile traffic statistics and detour control and yadda yadda. They'll be back.

thoughtomator
03-19-2013, 06:10 PM
My reaction to the only photo enforcement ticket I've ever gotten: never doing business in that town again.

Barrex
03-19-2013, 06:51 PM
In my town they put garbage bags on them every now and then.... civilians not the police.... There was a time when postmen couldnt deliver other mail because he was so busy delivering tickets....

Also there was a rumor that someone hacked cameras and made them issue tickets to any car that was moving at any speed.... that was interesting time to be a police officer in charge of tickets, mayor etc...

Anti Federalist
03-19-2013, 08:31 PM
In my town they put garbage bags on them every now and then.... civilians not the police.... There was a time when postmen couldnt deliver other mail because he was so busy delivering tickets....

Also there was a rumor that someone hacked cameras and made them issue tickets to any car that was moving at any speed.... that was interesting time to be a police officer in charge of tickets, mayor etc...

You live in Croatia, where the people still retain a shadow of what it is to be a free person.

You'll not see any of these cameras getting burned, shot, torn down or vandalized like they should be.

Not in the Land of Compliance.

Working Poor
03-19-2013, 09:14 PM
You live in Croatia, where the people still retain a shadow of what it is to be a free person.

You'll not see any of these cameras getting burned, shot, torn down or vandalized like they should be.

Not in the Land of Compliance.

have you shot any of them out?

Anti Federalist
03-19-2013, 11:29 PM

No ma'am...that would be illegal.

Barrex
03-20-2013, 07:59 AM

No ma'am...that would be illegal.

Were any cameras shot in your area that you didnt have to do anything with?
:D lol

jbauer
03-20-2013, 09:24 AM
My reaction to the only photo enforcement ticket I've ever gotten: never doing business in that town again.

Yup got one in Cedar Rapids Iowa. The lowered the damn speedlimit just for the cammera. Whats worse is I wasn't driving but I got the ticket. I however, will go out of my way to not do buisness with Cedar Rapids IA anymore.