PDA

View Full Version : [Video] Rand Paul on CNN w/ Wolf Blitzer 3/19/13

jct74
03-19-2013, 02:29 PM
Where does @SenRandPaul stand on a pathway to citizenship for illegal immigrants? He'll clarify in @CNNSitRoom 5PM ET (our new start time)

https://twitter.com/wolfblitzer/status/314102916778700800

update:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kHN4f8qHXfk

jct74
03-19-2013, 02:59 PM
bump

jct74
03-19-2013, 03:00 PM
on now

jct74
03-19-2013, 03:01 PM
Rand Paul has major fundraiser in Iowa coming up, according to Blitzer

edit: the fundraiser is for the Iowa GOP I guess, Rand Paul will be the headliner

jct74
03-19-2013, 03:03 PM
doing an extended intro segment now

whoisjohngalt
03-19-2013, 03:24 PM
tube?

Brett85
03-19-2013, 03:26 PM
Itshappening will really like what Rand said about the abortion issue. He basically said that the bill he introduced was simply meant to get a discussion going about when life begins, and it wouldn't make any sense to pass a law like this until there's more agreement that life begins at conception. He seemed like he was trying to make himself look more moderate for the CNN audience. I didn't really like the way he was talking, but others probably will.

whoisjohngalt
03-19-2013, 03:27 PM
Rand Paul has major fundraiser in Iowa coming up, according to Blitzer

edit: the fundraiser is for the Iowa GOP I guess, Rand Paul will be the headliner

AJ Spiker announced this earlier. It's not until May 10th. Plenty of time to make the news and have as many people talking about Rand as possible.

itshappening
03-19-2013, 04:28 PM
Itshappening will really like what Rand said about the abortion issue. He basically said that the bill he introduced was simply meant to get a discussion going about when life begins, and it wouldn't make any sense to pass a law like this until there's more agreement that life begins at conception. He seemed like he was trying to make himself look more moderate for the CNN audience. I didn't really like the way he was talking, but others probably will.

Sounds promising and a good way of dealing with questions about it.

Brett85
03-19-2013, 04:41 PM
http://thehill.com/blogs/ballot-box/presidential-races/289121-paul-thousands-of-exceptions-to-ban-on-abortion

supermario21
03-19-2013, 04:44 PM
I like how it seems that Rand is trying to actually foster substantive debate in a number of areas, foreign policy, immigration, etc. All without using the same code words which, like he said, often serve to torpedo any real debate.

Canderson
03-19-2013, 04:44 PM
tube? ill give +rep

Brett85
03-19-2013, 04:47 PM
He rhetoric on abortion was pretty weak, which some people here will like. But it's concerning to me and I hope it doesn't alienate pro life social conservatives.

georgiaboy
03-19-2013, 04:51 PM
He rhetoric on abortion was pretty weak, which some people here will like. But it's concerning to me and I hope it doesn't alienate pro life social conservatives.

Uhm, what was the bill he sponsored again? He's playing this perfectly.

Brett85
03-19-2013, 04:53 PM
Uhm, what was the bill he sponsored again? He's playing this perfectly.

I agree with the bill, but it seemed like he was disowning his own bill in the interview. What's the point of sponsoring the bill if you're not going to stand by it?

Canderson
03-19-2013, 04:57 PM

I am not an evangelical but I lean pro-life, but the plain political fact is identifying as evangelical does more political damage than good. "In 2007, the Institute for Jewish and Community Research, in a survey of 1,300 college professors, found that 3 percent held “unfavorable feelings” toward Jews, 22 percent toward Muslims and 53 percent toward evangelical Christians." http://www.nytimes.com/2012/12/16/opinion/sunday/the-decline-of-evangelical-america.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

supermario21
03-19-2013, 04:58 PM
Rand essentially said, from what I saw of the transcript, that as a doctor you look at each case differently. I'm assuming he stands for exceptions when the life of the mother is at risk. Don't know much else.

Canderson
03-19-2013, 04:59 PM
I just noticed the sample was of college professors, but the whole article comes to a similar point. Rand talks about the danger of the rep. party becoming a regional party, I think evangelicalism is a huge part of that, and I think he does too. I expect him to swing hard against it ala Goldwater should he get the nomination

georgiaboy
03-19-2013, 05:09 PM
I agree with the bill, but it seemed like he was disowning his own bill in the interview. What's the point of sponsoring the bill if you're not going to stand by it?

He did stand by it. The bill stated his position, and now the floor is open for debate. He will be on the side of the debate in support of the bill.

His statement on "makes no sense to pass a bill if we don't have agreement" is a throwaway line that's just genius.

He's basically saying, "here's my position for debate; I understand many may not agree, but let's talk it over".

It's actually a lot like his filibuster. He's looking for areas to discuss first principles; this is a great one.

torchbearer
03-19-2013, 05:17 PM
He did stand by it. The bill stated his position, and now the floor is open for debate. He will be on the side of the debate in support of the bill.

His statement on "makes no sense to pass a bill if we don't have agreement" is a throwaway line that's just genius.

He's basically saying, "here's my position for debate; I understand many may not agree, but let's talk it over".

It's actually a lot like his filibuster. He's looking for areas to discuss first principles; this is a great one.

Rand is a smarter cookie than I thought... and I already thought he was clever.

VoluntaryAmerican
03-19-2013, 07:31 PM
TUBE?

PatriotOne
03-19-2013, 07:42 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U4yzj2rSCIk

Brett85
03-19-2013, 07:44 PM

What did he mean when he referred to "thousands of exceptions?"

anaconda
03-19-2013, 07:55 PM
Slick comment at the end giving props to Latin-American culture and positive contribution to America. Specifically identifying "language" seemed a bit off the wall however.

It has bothered me that Republicans have been talking about "how to appeal to minorities" because it must sound, to the ears of minorities, much like the untrustworthy establishment GOP people that talk about "how to appeal to the Ron Paul supporters." We are concerned that, once they get our vote, they will kick us to the curb. If I were a minority, I would have the same deep mistrust of the GOP. But to hear a young Turk like Rand, who is now seen in a leadership role, talking how awesome other cultures are and how we need them (and to do so with sincerity) is an approach whose time has come. Rand continues to amaze me.

supermario21
03-19-2013, 07:55 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=9eMJSKHJH5Y

Here is Rand on abortion.

Brett85
03-19-2013, 07:58 PM
The Blaze is talking about Rand's answer as well:

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2013/03/19/cnn-asked-rand-paul-about-abortion-exceptions-this-is-how-he-answered/

Canderson
03-19-2013, 08:10 PM
I thinking coming out hard against 'English as the Official Language' is good, call it a government regulation and it will confuse the Sean Hannitys of the world into conceding without making a media circus out of it

robert68
03-19-2013, 08:20 PM

Slutter McGee
03-19-2013, 09:32 PM
oh thank God he did not give in to that abortion issue. He essentially said...I believe life starts at conception, but this shit is complicated and I realize that.

Perfect answer. Didn't give the media a whole bunch of shit to fling at him hoping that it sticks.

Slutter McGee

jct74
03-19-2013, 09:55 PM
//

Brett85
03-19-2013, 09:56 PM
The thing is that I don't really see what good it does for Rand to sound more "moderate" on this issue in these interviews, because there's already an audio recording of him saying that this bill will "outlaw abortion once and for all." That recording could be used against him in commercials in a general election regardless of how much he tries to walk back his position.

Slutter McGee
03-19-2013, 10:05 PM
The thing is that I don't really see what good it does for Rand to sound more "moderate" on this issue in these interviews, because there's already an audio recording of him saying that this bill will "outlaw abortion once and for all." That recording could be used against him in commercials in a general election regardless of how much he tries to walk back his position.

He is on CNN. speak to your audience.

Slutter McGee

jct74
03-19-2013, 11:01 PM
here's a much better quality tube

J_White
03-19-2013, 11:26 PM
Rand sounds good, makes broad statements thus making it hard to push him into corners.
keep it up, i am seeing a ray of light again !

economics102
03-20-2013, 12:13 AM
I know this might be taken as an insult, but Rand is an amazing politician. "Silver-tongued" doesn't quite do justice the way he waltzed through that landmine-filled interview.

And listen, I'm not speaking from experience because I don't know any evangelicals in real life, but I think Republicans are making a huge mistake in clinging to this no-exceptions "even in the case of rape" view of abortion. Personally, I'm pro-choice and it's the one issue Ron Paul was never able to sway me on. But I don't think making sure young women who are raped are forced to carry through a pregnancy is what keeps evangelicals and social conservatives up at night. I think that's a "fringe case" that they'd rather just pretend doesn't exist, and while they don't want to say "yes, it's ok to murder the fetus in that case," I don't think they get any satisfaction out of loudly declaring that rape victims should have to suffer 9 months of unwanted maternal labor as a "punishment" for being so unlucky as to get raped.

Having said that, they will never succeed in this endeavor. Liberals are NOT going to tolerate the outlawing of pre-viable (or whatever the timeframe is) abortions. And I don't blame them. If conservatives ever get close to passing something like this, they will get annihilated in the election following their effforts and the Democrats will mobilize like you've never seen before.

Sola_Fide
03-20-2013, 12:14 AM
I liked Rand's discussion at the end there about abortion, but I wish he would have talked about federalism as a solution to the problem.

T.hill
03-20-2013, 01:20 AM
I liked Rand's discussion at the end there about abortion, but I wish he would have talked about federalism as a solution to the problem.

Yeah, he should of. I think he is trying to clarify his own personal beliefs relative to the conversation of debate on his life at conception act, but ultimately I think he will come back to the federalist argument. I really liked what he was saying though in this interview.

Brett85
03-20-2013, 06:41 AM
I know this might be taken as an insult, but Rand is an amazing politician. "Silver-tongued" doesn't quite do justice the way he waltzed through that landmine-filled interview.

And listen, I'm not speaking from experience because I don't know any evangelicals in real life, but I think Republicans are making a huge mistake in clinging to this no-exceptions "even in the case of rape" view of abortion. Personally, I'm pro-choice and it's the one issue Ron Paul was never able to sway me on. But I don't think making sure young women who are raped are forced to carry through a pregnancy is what keeps evangelicals and social conservatives up at night. I think that's a "fringe case" that they'd rather just pretend doesn't exist, and while they don't want to say "yes, it's ok to murder the fetus in that case," I don't think they get any satisfaction out of loudly declaring that rape victims should have to suffer 9 months of unwanted maternal labor as a "punishment" for being so unlucky as to get raped.

Having said that, they will never succeed in this endeavor. Liberals are NOT going to tolerate the outlawing of pre-viable (or whatever the timeframe is) abortions. And I don't blame them. If conservatives ever get close to passing something like this, they will get annihilated in the election following their effforts and the Democrats will mobilize like you've never seen before.

Rand has said that a woman who gets raped should be allowed to use the Morning After Pill and get an estrogen shot. That would solve the problem without having to get an abortion.

Brett85
03-20-2013, 06:58 AM
Think Progress thinks that Rand was making a pro choice argument.

http://thinkprogress.org/health/2013/03/19/1746261/oops-rand-paul-makes-case-against-the-pro-life-agenda/

Working Poor
03-20-2013, 07:02 AM
Does anyone here really think abortion will be banned? I really don't think it is possible there are just too many women who think it is a right and too many men who don't want to take responsibility. If he comes across too strong on this issue if he runs and wins the nomination people will vote against him on this issue alone. Even if he would come out strong against the wars including the drug war. Women want the right to kill their child terrible as it is it is a fact.

Brett85
03-20-2013, 07:08 AM
Does anyone here really think abortion will be banned? I really don't think it is possible there are just too many women who think it is a right and too many men who don't want to take responsibility. If he comes across too strong on this issue if he runs and wins the nomination people will vote against him on this issue alone. Even if he would come out strong against the wars including the drug war. Women want the right to kill their child terrible as it is it is a fact.

And if he doesn't come out strong against abortion he won't win the GOP primary, particularly when he's already taken a more libertarian position on issues like marriage and drugs. He can't be seen as a social liberal across the board. When I watched his interview with Wolf Blitzer he made it sound like he was already running in a general election campaign for President.

itshappening
03-20-2013, 07:12 AM

Hannity and now Wolf, he's definitely getting a serious vetting by the press but he's well up to the job.

itshappening
03-20-2013, 07:13 AM
And if he doesn't come out strong against abortion he won't win the GOP primary, particularly when he's already taken a more libertarian position on issues like marriage and drugs. He can't be seen as a social liberal across the board. When I watched his interview with Wolf Blitzer he made it sound like he was already running in a general election campaign for President.

He will probably sound more strongly against it at events in Iowa than on CNN.

Jon311
03-20-2013, 07:20 AM
Hannity and now Wolf, he's definitely getting a serious vetting by the press but he's well up to the job.

Wolf really, really wanted Rand to start some more beef with McCain. But Rand wouldn't have any of that.

robert68
03-20-2013, 08:13 AM

Many “pro-lifers” have either no awareness of, or any regard, for the fact that the abortion “debate” has been going on for 40 years, since the Roe vs. Wade decision. The “pro-life” cause has had political success over the years, especially with Presidents Reagan, Bush Senior, and Junior, all being “pro-life”. That political success however didn’t and hasn’t resulted in reducing the legal availability of abortions by much if any.

Furthermore, most “pro-lifers” are pro mass murder when in comes to the lives of non-Americans, so “pro-life” political success requires making a deal with pro mass murder “pro-lifers”.

Brett85
03-20-2013, 08:51 AM
Furthermore, most “pro-lifers” are pro mass murder when in comes to the lives of non-Americans, so “pro-life” political success requires making a deal with pro mass murder “pro-lifers”.

Well, then maybe the anti abortion rights position would be more popular if pro lifers supported a pro life foreign policy. Rand Paul wants to go in that direction, so maybe he would get more support for his position against abortion rights.

Brett85
03-20-2013, 08:52 AM
The left is already accusing him of flip flopping on the abortion issue.

http://www.theatlanticwire.com/politics/2013/03/rand-paul-isnt-100-pro-life-any-more/63324/