PDA

View Full Version : UK Bloggers Could Face Libel Fines Unless Registered As Press

DamianTV
03-19-2013, 02:05 PM
http://yro.slashdot.org/story/13/03/19/1514212/uk-bloggers-could-face-libel-fines-unless-registered-as-press

"The Guardian warns that Bloggers in the U.K. could face costly fines for libel with exemplary damages imposed if they do not sign up with a new press regulator under legislation (Clause 21A — Awards of exemplary damages) recommended by The Leveson Inquiry into press behavior and ethics. Kirsty Hughes, the chief executive of Index on Censorship, said this a 'sad day' for British democracy. 'This will undoubtedly have a chilling effect on everyday people's web use.' Exemplary damages, imposed by a court to penalize publishers who remain outside regulation, could run into hundreds of thousands of pounds, easily enough to close down smaller publishers such as Private Eye and local newspapers. Harry Cole, who contributes to the Guido Fawkes blog says he does not want to join a regulator, he hopes his blog will remain as irreverent and rude as ever, and continue to hold public officials to account; its servers are located in the U.S. Members of Parliament voted on Clause 21A late last night, it passed 530 to 13."

Ah the Right to Free Speech in other countries only occurs when their Govts give them PERMISSION to have that Right, which means they can say literally anything they want as long as what they say is in complete and total support of ever bigger Govts illusion of Freedom. Boy, I'm sure glad this will never happen here in the Land of the Free. Er, wait...

"None are more enslaved than those who falsely believe they are Free."

Fivezeroes
03-19-2013, 02:10 PM
You let that internet bill pass and all of us will begin to lose the right to do what we're doing now.

ZENemy
03-19-2013, 02:48 PM
Sweet, a look into the Future for muuurica

Spikender
03-19-2013, 02:50 PM
Register everything.

Regulate everyone.

Leave no person unmolested by the great tendrils of the State.

Talk about a hit to Free Speech; this should be opposed, opposed, opposed. What citizen of the UK could actually support this? I understand politicians wanting it, but I don't see how your average Joe could support this.

Then again, I've been surprised time and time again by the cooperative nature of the oppressed.

DamianTV
03-19-2013, 04:23 PM
Register everything.

Regulate everyone.

Leave no person unmolested by the great tendrils of the State.

Talk about a hit to Free Speech; this should be opposed, opposed, opposed. What citizen of the UK could actually support this? I understand politicians wanting it, but I don't see how your average Joe could support this.

Then again, I've been surprised time and time again by the cooperative nature of the oppressed.

As if the Politicians in the UK (or anywhere) do anything demanded by the people they are supposed to represent?

Spikender
03-19-2013, 04:29 PM
As if the Politicians in the UK (or anywhere) do anything demanded by the people they are supposed to represent?

Of course they don't, because the majority aren't paying attention or actually agree. I guarantee you if every single person in a country got together, the government couldn't do anything it wanted to without going through the people first.

Of course, that doesn't ever happen because the government and media of every single country on this planet keeps everyone divided and against each other while they gain more and more power.

Czolgosz
03-19-2013, 05:01 PM
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-fY72dya5Syw/T0gfPF5ssaI/AAAAAAAADGk/s6AnLGtdsl8/s1600/simpsons_nelson_haha2.jpg

LibForestPaul
03-19-2013, 05:28 PM
Of course they don't, because the majority aren't paying attention or actually agree. I guarantee you if every single person in a country got together, the government couldn't do anything it wanted to without going through the people first.

Of course, that doesn't ever happen because the government and media of every single country on this planet keeps everyone divided and against each other while they gain more and more power.

Hitler was a nobody. It took a nation of millions to bring his infamy to bear.