PDA

View Full Version : Homegrown Terrorism Prevention Act of 2007 passed by House, in Senate

CurtisLow
11-24-2007, 01:43 AM
YOUR URGENT ACTION IS NEEDED!

On Oct. 23 HR 1955 the ?Violent Radicalization and Homegrown Terrorism Prevention Act of 2007? was passed by Congress. This bill is an amendment to the Homeland Security Act of 2002, and was rushed through Congress due to the fires in California. This bill is blatantly unconstitutional and is worded so vaguely that it could easily be used to target any group or individual who has a dissenting view from that of the government. Not only that, but groups can be targeted if the established committee determines that they may in the future commit a violent act, essentially making ?thought crimes? a reality.

When you couple this with the remarks made by CNN?s Glenn Beck (see video here: http://www.lewrockwell.com/blog/lewrw/archives/016852.html)

You can see how easily this bill could be used to target any group, including Ron Paul supporters, and label them as terrorists.

WE MUST NOT LET THIS BILL BECOME LAW!!!

The bill is now being reviewed by the Senate Committee of Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs before going to the Senate floor for vote. Let?s bombard the committee members as well as our state Senators with letters, phone calls, and emails and let them know that this is unacceptable.
To view the bill in its entirety visit: http://thomas.loc.gov/
And type in either HR 1955 or S 1959.

Here is the list of the members of the reviewing Committee and their phone numbers: Joseph I. Lieberman, Chairman (ID) (CT)
(202) 224-4041
Carl Levin (MI)
(202) 224-6221
Daniel K. Akaka (HI)
(202) 224-6361
Thomas R. Carper (DE)
(202) 224-2441
Mark L. Pryor (AR)
(202) 224-2353
Mary L. Landrieu (LA)
(202) 224-5824
Barack Obama (IL)
(202) 224-2854
Claire McCaskill (MO)
(202) 224-6154
Jon Tester (MT)
(202) 224-2644
Republicans:
Susan M. Collins, Ranking Member (ME)
(202) 224-2523
Ted Stevens (AK)
(202) 224-3004
Geroge V. Voinovich (OH)
(202) 224-3353
Norm Coleman (MN)
(202) 224-5641
Tom Coburn (OK)
(202) 224-5754
Pete V. Domenici (NM)
(202) 224-6621
John Warner (VA)
(202) 224-2023
John E. Sununu (NH)
(202) 224-2841

To get contact information of any Senator go to: http://www.senate.gov/general/contact_information/senators_cfm.cfm

I am also enclosing a sample letter that a member of our meetup group wrote so all you have to do is copy and paste. For more ideas you can also visit the Daily Paul http://dailypaul.com/ website, as this post has now been added as a permanent link on the homepage.

Please take the time to do this. This issue not only affects the freedom of every American, but could also affect this campaign specifically. Let?s let them know that we are paying attention and we will not be silent as our freedoms are stripped from us.

Dear Senator ________,

As you know, "Congress shall make no law . . . abridging the freedom of speech" (Amendment I to the U.S. Constitution). Yet, the House of Representatives has passed HR 1955, which states:
The term `violent radicalization' means the process of adopting or promoting an extremist belief system for the purpose of facilitating ideologically based violence to advance political, religious, or social change.
(HR 1955, emphasis mine)
While violent thoughts, speech, and writings may be anathema, they are clearly protected under United States law. In *Yates v United States*, the court wrote that "advocacy of forcible overthrow of the government" was *protected speech* under the First Amendment.
The court further expanded the protection of the First Amendment in *Texas**v Johnson *, when it noted that "if there is a bedrock principle underlying the First Amendment, it is that government may not prohibit the expression of an idea simply because society finds the idea offensive or disagreeable."
Though its supporters may argue that HR 1955 solely addresses speech meant to directly incite violence (which would not protected under *Schenck v. United States*), this is an inapplicable argument, because HR 1955 oversteps the boundaries of prohibiting insightful speech and instead prohibits "the adopting . . . a belief system." It is impractical, impossible, and unconstitutional to determine if "an extreme belief system" is explicitly "for the purpose of facilitating . . . violence" and it is further impossible to determine what belief system someone has adopted.

There is simply no good way to reliably determine the intent of someones speech until their intentions become actions. There is no way at all to determine the purpose of someones adopted system of beliefs. HR 1955 and the commission it would create would encourage law-enforcement agencies around the nation to engage in domestic preemptive strikes based on nothing more than assumptions, lies, and flawed intelligence. We do not need to make thoughts and beliefs a crime in order to combat terrorism. Such laws would only drive terrorists further underground, making attacks more likely and America less safe.

We cannot subject our minds to searches for weapons that do not exist. I implore you to vote your oath, uphold the Constitution of the United States of America, and never let HR 1955 become law.
Sincerely,

or write your own.

tnvoter
11-24-2007, 01:58 AM
bump

syborius
11-24-2007, 03:19 AM
This garbage must be struck down.

Orwell is turning over in his grave right now.

CurtisLow
11-24-2007, 12:11 PM
http://img215.imageshack.us/img215/8687/bumpea5.gif Very important!

terlinguatx
11-24-2007, 12:19 PM

CurtisLow
11-24-2007, 06:51 PM
http://img215.imageshack.us/img215/8687/bumpea5.gif Very important!

bump... Please do your part and write, call or email your state politicians.

ty

ronpaulfollower999
11-24-2007, 06:53 PM
Isnt this the Patriot Act?

American
11-24-2007, 06:54 PM
Isnt this the Patriot Act?

No, this is completely different.

fedup100
11-24-2007, 06:57 PM
All of us must use our might with our telephones and melt the (^% phone lines. This crap must stop now. Am I the only one that is noticing that both the parties are working in concert with the Whitehouse to destroy the country before the election?

Trust me the MSM and the Beck comments were not just a coincidence. The powers that be are coming after those of us who are bucking the system.

torchbearer
11-24-2007, 07:15 PM
bump

ForLibertyFight
11-24-2007, 07:19 PM
bump

Pharoah
11-24-2007, 07:29 PM
It looks like act will be used almost immediately to attack the alternative media:

On Tuesday, November 6, 2007, a House Homeland Security Subcommittee had a hearing on "Terrorism and the Internet".* The hearing featured presentations from several groups, including Mark Weitzman of the Simon Wiesenthal Center. The hearing was chaired by Democratic Rep. Jane Harman, and ranking Republican, Rep. Dave Reichert.

Toward the end of the hearing, Weitzman rolls out a PowerPoint presentation that presents a few 9/11 truth sites sandwiched in between websites that offer training in terrorist tactics, and a website that glorified the attack of 9/11. Among the websites presented under the heading "Internet: Incubator of 9/11 Conpiracies and Disinformation", are Architects and Engineers for 9/11 Truth...

torchbearer
11-24-2007, 07:41 PM
At what point do people wake the eff up?

Kap
11-24-2007, 08:04 PM
With Liberman being the Chairman of that committee I think we're screwed.

ItsTime
11-24-2007, 08:06 PM
John E. Sununu (NH)
(202) 224-2841

Is a sell out.

paulitics
11-24-2007, 08:13 PM
At what point do people wake the eff up?

when they are on the bus, saying wtf just happened to ME.

terlinguatx
11-24-2007, 08:35 PM

James R
11-24-2007, 08:42 PM
What parts are unconstitutional? Please point me to the text that is the most offensive.

Mark Rushmore
11-24-2007, 09:08 PM
What parts are unconstitutional? Please point me to the text that is the most offensive.

What's most offensive isn't what is explicit but the context of the entire piece.
http://www.govtrack.us/congress/billtext.xpd?bill=h110-1955

It's no longer about acting violent, now it's about *thinking* about acting violent. They've shifted the power of the state from a realm of action to the realm of thought.

(A) The research is going to be into how people communicate and get the information that they then go on to form opinions with (Sec. 899D)

(B) The aim is to prevent 'violent radicalization of homegrown terrorism' or some similar catchphrase (all Sections pretty much restate this goal one way or another)

The only way you get from A to B is by having the Federal government interfere in that information transfer.

The details of how the information may be 'shaped' isn't spelled out here. Will certain information be made illegal? Are dissenting blogs to be outlawed? Will the government leave information legal but aggressively work behind the scenes to intimidate communications services into doing the policing and censoring for them (think about the recent interactions between telephone companies and the government)?

Of course one might say, "Well the devil is in the details - and so far there are no details, hence no devil!"

But a commission set up to study the process of policing thought certainly seems like something worth stopping.

Brad Zink
11-24-2007, 09:36 PM
This is very important. People in the government and the media are starting to call dissenters "terrorists," which means that the so-called "War on Terror" is really a war against free-thinking people both at home and abroad.

torchbearer
11-24-2007, 09:42 PM
This is very important. People in the government and the media are starting to call dissenters "terrorists," which means that the so-called "War on Terror" is really a war against free-thinking people both at home and abroad.

Better wake everyone up or we are up shit creek without a paddle.

pcosmar
11-24-2007, 09:59 PM

The parts that touch in any way on
Freedom of speech
Freedom of association
The right to assemble
Redress of grievances

Pretty much the WHOLE THING.

Give me liberty
11-24-2007, 10:51 PM
i think i posted about this bill in of my threads which nobody seemed to care :/

Midnight77
11-24-2007, 10:53 PM
What's the Government going to do? Put us all in prison?

Brad Zink
11-24-2007, 11:15 PM
What's the Government going to do? Put us all in prison?

They don't need to put everyone in prison in order to intimidate people. The fact of the matter is that this bill and the litany of un-American legislation of this government is dangerous.

We need to be vigilant about protecting our constitutional rights.

RonPaulStreetTeam
11-24-2007, 11:16 PM
would be nice if we had a choice.

ronpaulfan
11-24-2007, 11:20 PM
This is possibly the most important thread ever posted to ronpaulforums.

Kap
11-24-2007, 11:26 PM
yikes... don't lose hope though. continue to spread the word about this sinister bill.

Liberman is the author of the Kyl-Liberman bill which basically spells out sanctions and attacking Iran unilaterally. He's by far one of the worst warhawks in Congress.

Oh he'll LOVE passing this bill. He could care less if we turn into Nazi Germany, just as long as those crazy Iranians don't get ahold of a nuke.

It's so damm crazy when everyone laughed at the "tinfoil wearing hat crowd" and now to see they might have been right all along. This country is well on the way to becoming a fascist police state, much faster than I had thought. I was hoping we had until 2008 to see these laws being presented.

No one in Congress is even doing ANYTHING about this!

I've also noticed that Ron Paul hasn't present during these vote passages. I'm wondering if they are purposely trying to avoid him knowning this or protesting like he did during the Patriot Act. It would be free publicity for him and he'd convince voters what we're losing right now.

MikeStanart
11-25-2007, 12:04 AM
This is scary.....maybe I should change my User-name.

Or maybe Stick it to em, Like John Hancock?

Austin
11-25-2007, 01:05 AM
Bump, this is important guys..

Was the good doctor there to vote against this act?

MikeStanart
11-25-2007, 01:06 AM
Bump, this is important guys..

Was the good doctor there to vote against this act?

It was 404 - 6 ....

lol.

drdesignz
11-25-2007, 01:06 AM
Today's empires, tomorrow's ashes.

Austin
11-25-2007, 01:12 AM
It was 404 - 6 ....

lol.

Yeah, but was he one of the 6? I heard that he wasn't there to vote.

james1844
11-25-2007, 01:57 AM
Hi All,

For what its worth, I've just spent the better part of the last two days cataloging many incidences of domestic terrorism for a database I'm working on at the University of Maryland.

Domestic terror is a SERIOUS issue. Groups like the Earth Liberation Front, Animal Liberation Front, the Aryan Republican Army, The Order, the Weathermen, the Black Liberation Army, Omega 7, the FMLN, the KKK, the Sword the Arm and the Hand of the Lord, the various militia groups, The Symbionese Liberation Army, the Black Liberation Army, some of the extreme anti-abortion types, Posse Comitatus, Alpha 66, the Unabomber have all engaged in acts of extreme violence.

Some of their crimes include arson, homicide, bank robbery, weapons offenses, mass murder, assault, theft, burglary, explosives, harrassment...you name it, the chances are good that domestic terrorists have been involved at one point in time.

I'm a paul supporter, but the domestic terrorism is real. We should not, based on our firm belief in small government, reject reasonable legislation out of hand. Whats more, we should also recognize that the federal government is probably best suited to addressing domestic terrorism. Many activities of domestic terrorists - the ELF and Aryan Republican Army come to mind - frequenty cross borders. While many of Paul's supporters tend not to like the FBI, they are really the best guys for dealing with these sorts of groups. I frankly wish the FBI would more focused on domestic terrorism - these guys should be put away ASAP.

Best,

James

RP4ME
11-25-2007, 02:50 AM
Hi All,

For what its worth, I've just spent the better part of the last two days cataloging many incidences of domestic terrorism for a database I'm working on at the University of Maryland.

Domestic terror is a SERIOUS issue. Groups like the Earth Liberation Front, Animal Liberation Front, the Aryan Republican Army, The Order, the Weathermen, the Black Liberation Army, Omega 7, the FMLN, the KKK, the Sword the Arm and the Hand of the Lord, the various militia groups, The Symbionese Liberation Army, the Black Liberation Army, some of the extreme anti-abortion types, Posse Comitatus, Alpha 66, the Unabomber have all engaged in acts of extreme violence.

Some of their crimes include arson, homicide, bank robbery, weapons offenses, mass murder, assault, theft, burglary, explosives, harrassment...you name it, the chances are good that domestic terrorists have been involved at one point in time.

I'm a paul supporter, but the domestic terrorism is real. We should not, based on our firm belief in small government, reject reasonable legislation out of hand. Whats more, we should also recognize that the federal government is probably best suited to addressing domestic terrorism. Many activities of domestic terrorists - the ELF and Aryan Republican Army come to mind - frequenty cross borders. While many of Paul's supporters tend not to like the FBI, they are really the best guys for dealing with these sorts of groups. I frankly wish the FBI would more focused on domestic terrorism - these guys should be put away ASAP.

Best,

James

Agreed that any real threta of terrorism shoudl eb dealt with lawfully that is with warrants form judges not self written ones based on suspicion....READ the BILL - its is not reasonable as it defines a terrrosit as any group promoting an ideology contray to the govt....define govt ideology...ist awfully vague and that is dangerous....I dont thhink anyone here thinks terrorism isnt a real threat.

Brad Zink
11-25-2007, 09:53 AM
You have a better chance of being struck by lightning than getting attacked by a terrorist.

Our constitutional rights were enshrined in order to restrain the government, and that is what we are fighting for. Glenn Beck has called Ron Paul supporters a domestic threat, which shows that the Establishment is more interested in sqashing dissent rather than protecting anyone.

runderwo
11-25-2007, 10:26 AM
I'm a paul supporter, but the domestic terrorism is real. We should not, based on our firm belief in small government, reject reasonable legislation out of hand.

You have clearly only read the title of this bill, and not the contents. In Washington, to do so would be a grievous error. The bill is not reasonable nor does it limit itself to criminalizing people who materially violate the rights of others.

garrettwombat
11-25-2007, 11:27 AM
has everyone done this??? i am going to bump this everyday until everyone has written and called these people...

michaelwise
11-25-2007, 07:29 PM
This bill is ludicrous. It Must be stopped.

aperetti
11-25-2007, 08:15 PM
bump

paulitics
11-25-2007, 08:15 PM
Hi All,

Best,

James

The people slipping in their shower and cracking their head open threat is REAL. I would bet more deadly than isolated homegrown terrrorists too. Lets not put any cameras in people's bathrooms though, ok. Freedom will never be perfect, nothing is. With it comes responsibility.

It sounds like quite a contradiction to be remotly sympathetic of this, and be an RP supporter. I mean this is the stuff RP is trying to save us from, right? This ranks up there with the military comissions act, if not worse, as far as a malicious attack on our liberty. A very black and white issue. Terrorism has always existed, and for thousands of years, people have fallen for this ploy, and ended up enslaved to their master who promised them security. Oh but this time its different, right? Our govt has really shown themseves to be trustworthy angels, and competent to boot. They were so good at it, that they failed to stop a plane from hitting them literrrally in the ass. How about this, do a real independent study of 911, 1993 WTC bombing, and Timothy Mcveigh bombing, and spend real $$ and time, not less than Bill Clinton's affairs with a cigar. Close the borders, go after Osama, and gain some credibilty before looking so eager to take more freedoms away. I'm calling BS, and so should you James. Study history.

xao
11-25-2007, 08:22 PM
All the jewish zionists will pass that sucker right through.

AFTFNJ
11-25-2007, 08:23 PM
Dne. I think they can be Zionist without being Jewish no?

torchbearer
11-25-2007, 08:26 PM
Better wake everyone up or we are up shit creek without a paddle.

//

paulitics
11-25-2007, 08:26 PM

yes, many christian zionists who are frothing for "WW4".

T206
11-25-2007, 08:27 PM
Groups like the Earth Liberation Front, Animal Liberation Front, the Aryan Republican Army, The Order, the Weathermen, the Black Liberation Army, Omega 7, the FMLN, the KKK, the Sword the Arm and the Hand of the Lord, the various militia groups, The Symbionese Liberation Army, the Black Liberation Army, some of the extreme anti-abortion types, Posse Comitatus, Alpha 66, the Unabomber...

I think this string of text just caused some server somewhere in DC to start screeching and flashing dozens of strobe lights, while also triggering the cell phones and pagers of just about every agent still on payroll...I bet the number of registered/online users here spikes to all time highs. :)

CurtisLow
11-26-2007, 12:21 AM
http://img255.imageshack.us/img255/8858/flashinglight3zh4.gif Write a letter!

PathIveMade
11-26-2007, 12:26 AM
One of my Senators respond below.... the other didn't even bother. Typical I'm sure.

Thank you for expressing your concerns about H.R.1955 and S.1959, the Violent Radicalization and Homegrown Terrorism Prevention Act.

H.R.1955 and S.1959 amend the Homeland Security Act of 2002 to add provisions concerning the prevention of terrorism by those born, raised, or based and operating primarily in the United States.

The bill would direct the Department of Homeland Security to establish a grant program to help prevent homegrown terrorism and the use of extremist belief systems to facilitate ideologically-based violence. It would also establish a university-based Center of Excellence for the Study of Radicalization and Homegrown Terrorism in the United States and conduct a survey of methodologies implemented by foreign nations to prevent radicalization and homegrown terrorism.

In addition, the bill explicitly states that the Department of Homeland Security's efforts to prevent ideologically based violence and homegrown terrorism may not violate the constitutional rights, civil rights, or civil liberties of any American citizens or lawful permanent residents.

H.R.1955 passed in the House of Representatives by a vote of 404 to 6. Should S.1959 reach the Senate floor, I will keep your views in mind. Thank you again for contacting me.

Sincerely,
Sherrod Brown

Give me liberty
11-26-2007, 12:38 AM
This bill is ludicrous. It Must be stopped.

agreed

xao
11-26-2007, 02:44 AM

No. Zionism is rooted from the original talmud. It has a hatred for anything european, blue eyed, blonde, fair hair, etc. It's been going on for thousands of years. Since The Sumerians(blonde, blue eyed aryan rooted people) wen't into egypt. They fought and warred with the semites. All this stuff goes back thousands of years.

Now they(modern day khazars like, perle, wolfowitz, bernenke, wurmser, feith, kissinger, irving kristol, greenspan, tenet, etc etc. ) USE their pawns(congress) through the aipac lobby in DC. If you want to go farther back, look at khazars like Lord Rothchild, max warburg, jp morgan, johnson, wilson, FDR(the new deal) etc.
All mixed khazars.

There are other pawns, like in the church, televangelists. Hagee, robertson, etc.

This is why religion is a huge problem. It can be distorted and used against people and that will NEVER change. Sure there are good jews and good christians but many are blind and follow an insane neo-marxist doctrine.

sharedvoice
11-26-2007, 02:50 AM
H.R. 1955: Violent Radicalization and Homegrown Terrorism Prevention Act of 2007

This bill passed in the House of Representatives by roll call vote. The vote was held under a suspension of the rules to cut debate short and pass the bill, needing a two-thirds majority. The totals were 404 Ayes, 6 Nays, 22 Present/Not Voting.

No Vote TX-14 Paul, Ronald [R]

This bill has not passed the Senate... better get busy.

nadamsieee
11-26-2007, 08:09 AM
Georgia:

Johnny Isakson: 202-224-3643
Saxby Chambliss: 202-224-3521

Sematary
11-26-2007, 08:23 AM
I contacted my rep. (that would be the loser lieberman).
Keep the pressure on.

Ncturnal
11-26-2007, 10:29 AM
Georgia:

Johnny Isakson: 202-224-3643
Saxby Chambliss: 202-224-3521

Called and emailed both today.

Mauiboy86
11-26-2007, 10:45 AM
Bump

kotetu
11-26-2007, 11:14 AM
This link has a contact form that will send a complaint directly to your representative.

http://www.capwiz.com/jbs/issues/alert/?alertid=10528846

ConstitutionGal
11-26-2007, 11:34 AM
This is more incrementalism. When Congress started passing 'hate crimes' laws that sought to determine guilt based on thoughts and/or feelings, many of us called and wrote letters and tried to tell others that this was simply the beginning of such legislation. We were scoffed at. Now, things are starting to accelerate and people have finally stopped scoffing. However, once the camel's nose is allowed under the tent, it is much harder to push him completely back out. The FBI has been 'teaching' local law enforcement for years now that Christians, gun owners, home-schoolers and people who quote the Constitution are 'home-grown terrorists'. Now, it's just making it into the mainstream more and it is going much easier because the way has already been paved. The word for today is 'incrementalism' and we have been seeing it in action for several decades now. Remember, incrementalism is how best to boil a frog.....the heat is being turned up and not enough people are paying attention because they refuse to see where these pieces of legislation are heading. Sadly, most will continue to sleep until they, themselves, are being taken away in the dead of night.

CurtisLow
11-26-2007, 03:29 PM
Bump

runderwo
11-26-2007, 04:07 PM
When Congress started passing 'hate crimes' laws that sought to determine guilt based on thoughts and/or feelings

Please provide an example, because I believe you're wrong. The federal anti-discrimination hate crimes statutes are sentencing guidelines ONLY.

lucius
11-26-2007, 04:12 PM
Just contacted my senators, urging all friends and family to do the same as well by email.

Thanks for the prompt,

-l

Recovering Socialist
11-26-2007, 04:20 PM
Haven't the Neo-Cons been preaching a believe system for the purpose of facilitating ideological based violence to advance political change in Iraq?

Lets lock up all the Neo-cons.....perhaps Iraq should adopt this law and we can send all the neo-cons there. :)

MrCoffee
11-26-2007, 04:27 PM
You can read what Representatives had to say on this here (http://www.govtrack.us/congress/record.xpd?id=110-h20071023-31&bill=h110-1955)

edit: full text here (http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/D?c110:4:./temp/~c110guGEXl::)

romeshomey
11-27-2007, 07:30 PM
Here is a response from Senator Sharrod Brown (D) OHIO

Thank you for expressing your concerns about H.R.1955 and S.1959, the Violent Radicalization and Homegrown Terrorism Prevention Act.

H.R.1955 and S.1959 amend the Homeland Security Act of 2002 to add provisions concerning the prevention of terrorism by those born, raised, or based and operating primarily in the United States.

The bill would direct the Department of Homeland Security to establish a grant program to help prevent homegrown terrorism and the use of extremist belief systems to facilitate ideologically-based violence. It would also establish a university-based Center of Excellence for the Study of Radicalization and Homegrown Terrorism in the United States and conduct a survey of methodologies implemented by foreign nations to prevent radicalization and homegrown terrorism.

In addition, the bill explicitly states that the Department of Homeland Security's efforts to prevent ideologically based violence and homegrown terrorism may not violate the constitutional rights, civil rights, or civil liberties of any American citizens or lawful permanent residents.

H.R.1955 passed in the House of Representatives by a vote of 404 to 6. Should S.1959 reach the Senate floor, I will keep your views in mind. Thank you again for contacting me.

Sincerely,
Sherrod Brown

torchbearer
11-27-2007, 08:05 PM
Their heads will roll when i get to washington d.c.
they will be tried for treason at the end of my accusatory finger.

romeshomey
11-27-2007, 10:15 PM
Haven't the Neo-Cons been preaching a believe system for the purpose of facilitating ideological based violence to advance political change in Iraq?

Lets lock up all the Neo-cons.....perhaps Iraq should adopt this law and we can send all the neo-cons there. :)

That was exactly my thought when I first read the Bill. Bunch of hypocrites in Washington.

CurtisLow
11-28-2007, 12:38 PM
Z-Bump

sedele
11-28-2007, 01:53 PM
http://www.cemphotos.com/tx/tx-hawley/BUMP_Orelia.jpg

Bossobass
11-28-2007, 02:42 PM
They push it through by stating that no constitutional rights, civil rights or civil liberties of American citizens will be violated, but the USA Patriot Act and Homeland Security Act have already erased many of those rights once you are suspected of terrorism.

The Act fails to properly define the terms 'Violent Radicalism' and 'Homegrown Terrorism'. The Act calls for think tank type exploration of ways to 'prevent' these loosely defined acts, including input from foreign nations.

No protection from illegal search and seizure.
No Writ of Habeas Corpus.
No protection against torture.
No right to an attorney.
No protection against seizure of assets.
No privacy at the library.
No privacy at the book store.
No privacy on your computer.
No privacy in your safety deposit box.

Congress has received two Justice Department Inspector General reports that identify dozens of cases in which department employees, as well as officers of the Drug Enforcement Administration and the Immigration and Naturalization Service, have been accused of serious civil liberties violations involving enforcement of the PATRIOT Act. The July document reported that the Inspector General's office had received 34 complaints that it considered credible in the six-month period that ended on June 15, 2003.

"[t]his report shows that we have only begun to scratch the surface with respect to the Justice Department's disregard of constitutional rights and civil liberties. … I commend the Inspector General for having the courage and independence to highlight the degree to which the administration's war on terror has misfired and harmed innocent victims with no ties to terror whatsoever.

Growing public concern about the impact of the PATRIOT Act prompted Congressman Bernie Sanders (I-VT) to introduce legislation in February 2003 to counter some of the most egregious provisions of the law. At the time, pundits never expected him to add more than a few additional names to the first 24 co-sponsors. By mid-August 2003, however, Sanders had garnered more than 130 sponsors - Democrats and Republicans, liberals and conservatives alike - in support of his "Freedom to Read Protection Act," H.R. 1157, a bill that would exempt libraries and bookstores from section 215 and would require a higher standard of proof than mere suspicion for search warrants presented at libraries and bookstores. When considering co-sponsoring the Sanders bill, Don Young (R-AK) told a group of reporters in May that "the Patriot Act was not really thought out. I'm very concerned that, in our desire for security and our enthusiasm for pursuing supposedly terrorists, that sometimes we might be on the verge of giving up the freedoms which we're trying to protect.

"Sneak and peek" searches allow the government to search homes secretly, confiscate property, and monitor computers, without notifying the subjects of the search, or only informing them later that a warrant had been issued.

Will this new act allow your arrest for reading a blog, a book or simply attending a bible study at your corner church? No one can say, IMO.

I could go on and on, but hopefully anyone can see that the Fed Gov't is certainly not to be trusted in making a statement that this law won't violate our Constitutional rights.

It appears to me to be a way to prevent any organization of American citizens from ever reaching a point of being able to pose a serious opposition to Fed Gov't abuses. It actually appears to me to be nothing more than that.

Bosso

granny miller
11-28-2007, 03:22 PM
Called my worthless Congressman :mad: 2 weeks ago about this.
$100 bucks he'll do nothing.

CurtisLow
11-28-2007, 05:10 PM
Dear Mr. _ _ _ _ _

Thank you for taking the time to contact me regarding H.R. 1955, the Violent Radicalization and Homegrown Terrorism Prevention Act of 2007. I appreciate hearing from all Pennsylvanians about the issues that matter most to them.

H.R. 1955 was introduced in the House of Representatives on April 19, 2007 and was agreed to on October 23, 2007. The bill was received in the Senate and referred to the Senate Committee on Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs, of which I am not a member. Please be assured that should this bill come before the full Senate, I will have your views in mind. (right I'm sure you will!)

Again, thank you for sharing your thoughts with me. Please do not hesitate to contact me in the future about this or any other matter of importance to you.

If you have access to the Internet, I encourage you to frequently visit my web site, http://casey.senate.gov. In the months ahead, I will continue to develop the site in order to allow you to stay up-to-date on my work in Washington. If you wish to e-mail me, you can do so on the web site.

Sincerely,
Bob Casey
United States Senator

Lois
11-28-2007, 05:37 PM
Is there a link to this?

I guess that's my biggest pet peeve on here or any board -- PLEASE ALWAYS PROVIDE A LINK !!!

amakris
11-28-2007, 05:38 PM
Guys, I hate the definition too but you should be pissed about a new university center being created and not the vague definition of terrorism. The definition only applies to the bill itself and the research focus. Yes, "force" and "coerce" are vague. But they apply to what the "Center" would study and not what criteria apply to locking people up. And before you disagree with me, show me the actual text in the bill that says that. It doesn't.

PATRIOT Act? Military Commissions Act? Get pissed. This bill? Get pissed about money being spent on a "Center", not about personal freedoms eroded. (To the extent that personal freedom can be separated from economic freedom).

amakris
11-28-2007, 05:39 PM
Is there a link to this?

I guess that's my biggest pet peeve on here or any board -- PLEASE ALWAYS PROVIDE A LINK !!!

http://www.govtrack.us/congress/bill.xpd?bill=h110-1955

http://www.govtrack.us/congress/bill.xpd?bill=s110-1959

torchbearer
11-28-2007, 05:44 PM
(To the extent that personal freedom can be separated from economic freedom).

They can't be seperated, they are the same thing. Ron has said such in his own speeches.
Search through the 150 videos I have on my youtube channel... you'll see Ron explain why the notion of personal and economic freedom as separate is bogus.

amakris
11-28-2007, 06:01 PM
They can't be seperated, they are the same thing. Ron has said such in his own speeches.
Search through the 150 videos I have on my youtube channel... you'll see Ron explain why the notion of personal and economic freedom as separate is bogus.

Understood, this is why I made the qualification. The restriction on freedom in this bill is the restriction on "free time" that could be spent in lieu of paying the taxes to support the creation of this center. That's the argument that you refer to. I agree. Capitalism and Freedom (Friedman) is a great book.

However, it's a mischaracterization to say this bill defines criteria for locking people up. That text isn't in the bill. I can't quote you something that doesn't exist.

romeshomey
11-28-2007, 10:26 PM
Dear Mr. _ _ _ _ _

Thank you for taking the time to contact me regarding H.R. 1955, the Violent Radicalization and Homegrown Terrorism Prevention Act of 2007. I appreciate hearing from all Pennsylvanians about the issues that matter most to them.

H.R. 1955 was introduced in the House of Representatives on April 19, 2007 and was agreed to on October 23, 2007. The bill was received in the Senate and referred to the Senate Committee on Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs, of which I am not a member. Please be assured that should this bill come before the full Senate, I will have your views in mind. (right I'm sure you will!)

Again, thank you for sharing your thoughts with me. Please do not hesitate to contact me in the future about this or any other matter of importance to you.

If you have access to the Internet, I encourage you to frequently visit my web site, http://casey.senate.gov. In the months ahead, I will continue to develop the site in order to allow you to stay up-to-date on my work in Washington. If you wish to e-mail me, you can do so on the web site.

Sincerely,
Bob Casey
United States Senator

Ummm, something if fishy when your Pennsylvania senator sends you the same exact email as my Ohio senator.

See my senators response a page or so back... Geesh...

WTF?????

CurtisLow
12-02-2007, 04:17 PM
Here's a link and good discussion on "Homegrown Terrorism Prevention Act"

http://eric-albert.newsvine.com/_news/2007/12/01/1135184-the-homegrown-terrorism-prevention-act-a-tutorial-in-orwellian-newspeak

CurtisLow
12-03-2007, 09:47 PM
z-Bump

Vendico
12-03-2007, 10:23 PM
http://digg.com/world_news/S_1959_May_prohibit_free_spech_exercise_of_religio n_and_the_right_to

h ttp://digg.com/world_news/S_1959_May_prohibit_free_spech_exercise_of_religio n_and_the_right_to

http://digg.com/world_news/Homegrown_Terrorism_Prevention_Act_of_2007_Interne t_a_tool_of_terror

h ttp://digg.com/world_news/Homegrown_Terrorism_Prevention_Act_of_2007_Interne t_a_tool_of_terror

Vendico
12-04-2007, 09:14 AM
bump