PDA

View Full Version : Rand Paul Endorses Path to Citizenship (CBS News)

Constitutional Paulicy
03-19-2013, 09:29 AM
Rand Paul Endorses Path to Citizenship
March 19, 2013, 10:57 AM

WASHINGTON -- Republican Sen. Rand Paul of Kentucky is endorsing a pathway to citizenship for the nation's 11 million illegal immigrants, a significant move for a favorite of tea party Republicans who are sometimes hostile to such an approach.

In a speech to be delivered Tuesday morning to the U.S. Hispanic Chamber of Commerce, the potential 2016 presidential candidate declares, "If you wish to live and work in America, then we will find a place for you." A copy of the speech was obtained in advance by The Associated Press.

more here.. http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-250_162-57575070/rand-paul-endorses-path-to-citizenship/

tennman
03-19-2013, 09:30 AM
It's interesting what he actually said versus what the media is saying he said. First of all, he said he would support none of this without a secure border. And what he said would basically be having illegals apply for citizenship legally.

I wonder what the response from his supporters, traditional conservatives and neocons will be. I wonder if this will hurt him. The reports are being blown out of proportion so I hope people read what he actually said.

rubioneocon
03-19-2013, 09:44 AM
Rand goes from acknowledging this all as defacto amnesty . . . to . . .

It's interesting what he actually said versus what the media is saying he said. First of all, he said he would support none of this without a secure border. And what he said would basically be having illegals apply for citizenship legally.

I wonder what the response from his supporters, traditional conservatives and neocons will be. I wonder if this will hurt him. The reports are being blown out of proportion so I hope people read what he actually said.

This is what the media did to RP in 2012 . . . with the free trade term isolationist

Ron Paul never called himself an isolationist . . . in June 2007 when all the meetup groups were forming in Iowa and everywhere . . . spontaneously . . . RP was explaining on WHO Des Moines the meaning of isolationist.

We will have to youtube everything Rand says to do damage control when it is something he never said

Lightweis
03-19-2013, 09:49 AM
why not just have open borders

itshappening
03-19-2013, 09:54 AM

Whoever is briefing the press and the AP last night and releasing excerpts of the speech (they work for Rand...) is pushing this to them and wanting it to be reported that way. They just dont come up with it on their own.

The AP narrative gets fed into every newsroom in the country.

Most journalists are lazy and will not listen to the speech and just copy/paste whatever AP sends them and AP were briefed by Rand's staff last night and given exceprts of the speech.

supermario21
03-19-2013, 09:56 AM
See the big immigration thread. Apparently the AP has gotten this stuff incredibly wrong.

itshappening
03-19-2013, 09:58 AM
See the big immigration thread. Apparently the AP has gotten this stuff incredibly wrong.

They would have been briefed by Rand's staff last night and given the excerpts. Rand's staff wanted it reported this way.

The fact that he didn't say "citizenship" means he's being a bit ambiguous and trying to play both sides.

FSP-Rebel
03-19-2013, 09:59 AM
I'd hope by now that the anarchists would realize that this man is running in a republican primary and his base is grassroots conservatives and libertarians, not voluntarists. If we lose the conservatives then forget about it.

tennman
03-19-2013, 10:05 AM
I'd hope by now that the anarchists would realize that this man is running in a republican primary and his base is grassroots conservatives and libertarians, not voluntarists. If we lose the conservatives then forget about it.

Good point. I'd rather get 95% of my issues (like lowering or eliminating income taxes, no Obamacare, fewer regulations, etc) than get 0% by another Obama liberal being elected.

Lightweis
03-19-2013, 10:07 AM

Ok good point!

TomtheTinker
03-19-2013, 10:08 AM

Would be Great. If we didn't have to provide food, healthcare, education, shelter, cell phones ect. To every person that Crosses the border.

RonPaulFanInGA
03-19-2013, 10:10 AM

Because with the welfare state, we'd be on the hook for God-only-knows how much when the country is quickly crapflooded with millions of poor Hispanic immigrants.

Can you imagine the added cost to state and local taxpayers for schools, prisons and hospitals?

Also remember the non-monetary costs: the cost to your freedoms when they inevitably vote for statist Democrats.

angelatc
03-19-2013, 10:21 AM

Yes, this is not what I would have hoped to hear from him.

liveandletlive
03-19-2013, 12:55 PM
we are gonna have to live with the fact that Rand is a flop flopper

its a bitter pill to swallow folks

matt0611
03-19-2013, 02:00 PM

Cause of teh welfare.

Duh.

supermario21
03-19-2013, 02:05 PM
Because of our already expansive welfare state, there is no truly libertarian solution. Rand's is probably as libertarian as you can go with avoiding ID and E-Verify. Since the gang of 8 seems to be fixated on the possibility of biometric SS cards, I wouldn't be surprised if this goes nowhere (at least Rand's idea). The fact he does have something on record though will help him.

V3n
03-19-2013, 02:15 PM
Rand Paul via Facebook:

Lots of misreporting out there. Erick Erickson notes: "I have read the entirety of Rand Paul’s speech. I have spoken directly to the Senator. No where in his speech does he use the word 'citizenship...' Rand Paul is not calling for citizenship... Feel free to disagree with Senator Paul if you must. Just don’t claim he’s pursuing a path to citizenship he never even mentioned."

With link to: http://www.redstate.com/2013/03/19/erica-werner-of-the-associated-press-reads-more-into-rand-pauls-speech-than-is-there/

Christian Liberty
03-19-2013, 02:21 PM

Most voluntarists don't vote anyway... its sad actually...

I don't care so much about this issue, I'm OK with him "Compromising" here. Its the war and civil liberties issues (Anti-Patiort Act, Anti-TSA, Anti-NDAA, Anti-War on Terror,, Anti-Drug War, or at least Anti-Federal Drug War) that I will really be holding his feet to the fire on. I accept a few compromises but I don't like it and I will continue to remind the libertarian movement that he isn't Ron Paul when they try to pretend like he is.

Good point. I'd rather get 95% of my issues (like lowering or eliminating income taxes, no Obamacare, fewer regulations, etc) than get 0% by another Obama liberal being elected.

Yeah, or an establishment GOP candidate for that matter...

Rudeman
03-19-2013, 02:30 PM
I don't think this will hurt Rand in the long run, it'll piss off some people now but the odds of his plan being adopted (the Dems won't accept any plan that doesn't include a pathway to citizenship) and him voting in favor for whatever they do agree on is unlikely.

Lightweis
03-20-2013, 07:06 AM
I really am starting to like illegal aliens. They are good libertarians that don't give a damn what the federal government laws say

Brett85
03-20-2013, 07:48 AM
I don't think this will hurt Rand in the long run, it'll piss off some people now but the odds of his plan being adopted (the Dems won't accept any plan that doesn't include a pathway to citizenship) and him voting in favor for whatever they do agree on is unlikely.

Yeah, I don't think Rand will vote for any plan that includes a mandatory E-Verify program since he said that he's opposed to it.

AngryCanadian
03-20-2013, 09:12 AM
You should see how the NeoCons who love the Trump are attacking Rand on this.