PDA

View Full Version : Md. House panel approves gas tax measure _ with a more gradual phase-in for beginning year

tangent4ronpaul
03-19-2013, 02:19 AM
MOM's (Martin O'Malley - the governor and what behind the gun control bill in this state - OH, and he want's to run for prez in '16... he has a 6 person security detail at all times... says a lot!) plan would have increased the gas tax by 30 cents in a couple of months. Every gas station I've been in has a petition against this and they are getting LOTS of signatures!

It also reminds me of the privatization and going for profit of our local energy company a few years ago. They said that our energy costs would double, but they would ease it in over 5 years to "reduce the pain"... :rolleyes"

Md. House panel approves gas tax measure _ with a more gradual phase-in for beginning years
http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/house-panel-approves-gas-tax-measure-_-with-a-more-gradual-phase-in-for-beginning-years/2013/03/18/532657da-9012-11e2-9173-7f87cda73b49_story.html

ANNAPOLIS, Md. — A House panel voted 15-4 on Monday for a gas tax measure to raise hundreds of millions of dollars per year, but with some changes to the plan initially submitted by Gov. Martin O’Malley.

Supporters say the measure will raise roughly the same amount of money as O’Malley’s plan after six years — about $830 million annually once new bonding capacity is added to the mix.

The bill approved by the House Ways and Means Committee would apply a 1 percent sales tax at the wholesale level on July 1, instead of 2 percent under O’Malley’s plan. The sales tax would increase to 2 percent on Jan. 1, 2015, under the House changes That’s compared to a 4 percent increase in July 2014 under O’Malley’s bill.

A 1 percent increase in the sales tax would add about 3.3 cents more to the price of a gallon of gas in July. The bill retains a mechanism to link the gas tax to inflation, which would add to the cost — an estimated half penny to make the total nearly 4 cents.

The governor’s plan to cut 5 cents from the state’s 23.5-cents-per-gallon excise tax would be eliminated, with supporters saying that part of O’Malley’s plan presented complexities for funding formulas.

“I think it has the benefit of simplicity, and it has the benefit, I think, of phasing in a little more gently in the opening years,” said Delegate Kumar Barve, D-Montgomery County.

The House panel’s changes also affect what would happen to a provision of the bill, if Congress fails to enact legislation to allow states to collect a sales tax on Internet sales. Under O’Malley’s proposal, the state would have been able to increase the sales tax another 2 percentage points from 4 percent to 6 percent, if Congress fails to enact the Internet sales tax measure by 2015. Under the changes made by the House, the 3 percent sales tax would jump to 4 percent in January 2016 and 5 percent in July 2016.

Supporters say Maryland hasn’t raised the state’s 23.5-cents-per-gallon-gas tax since 1992. They say Maryland needs to keep its transportation network competitive with neighboring Virginia, which approved a transportation revenue package this year.

“If we do not pass this bill we will not be economically competitive with Virginia,” said Delegate Eric Luedtke, D-Montgomery. “It won’t happen.”

Opponents say the state has mismanaged transportation money in recent years to fill other budget holes.

“I just think that we’re making our constituents now pay for poor management over the last several years,” Delegate Ron George, R-Anne Arundel, said. I do want to get there. I don’t think that this is now the time to do it.”

=======
Someones comment:

So if I understand this correctly. the 23.5 cents per gallon tax will be reduced by 5 cents to 18.5.

NOPE!

The governor’s plan to cut 5 cents from the state’s 23.5-cents-per-gallon excise tax would be eliminated, with supporters saying that part of O’Malley’s plan presented complexities for funding formulas.

Then we will add a sales tax back to the cost which increases each year. Will we be charging whis new tax on the price per gallon with the 18.5 CPG excise tax included or to the cost before the excise tax??? I'm confident the new tax will include the 18.5 CPG. So the State will be taxing a tax.

[That's how I'm reading it...]

If other states (or the feds) follow this lead, will there be ANY effort by the Gov't to pass any legislation or regulations that will help ease the cost of fuel?? The more gas cost the more revenue for the Gov't.

Also, from the article,....

“If we do not pass this bill we will not be economically competitive with Virginia,” said Delegate Eric Luedtke, D-Montgomery. “It won’t happen.”

Opponents say the state has mismanaged transportation money in recent years to fill other budget holes.

“I just think that we’re making our constituents now pay for poor management over the last several years,” Delegate Ron George, R-Anne Arundel, said. I do want to get there. I don’t think that this is now the time to do it.”

How is taking more money from the population, most of which is outside the Baltimore to PG county beltway and people who live in the rural areas have to drive to work, making MD more competetive with VA???. And if the moey for transportation has been mismanaged, how is giving them more money going to improve anything???? Just more money to waste on pet projects. Thank goodness at least one person in Annapolis (Ron George) seems to have some common sense.

-t