PDA

View Full Version : Teenage girls charged with online threats against Ohio rape victim

tangent4ronpaul
03-19-2013, 01:05 AM
http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/03/19/us-usa-crime-ohio-idUSBRE92I01M20130319

Two teenage girls were arrested in Ohio on Monday and accused of using social media to threaten the young victim in a high-profile rape trial that concluded this past weekend, state Attorney General Mike DeWine said.

A 16-year-old girl is charged with aggravated menacing after using Twitter to threaten the life of the victim, DeWine said in a statement. A 15-year-old girl is charged with one count of menacing after making a threat on Facebook, he said.

The charges came a day after a juvenile court judge found Steubenville High School football players Trent Mays, 17, and Ma'lik Richmond, 16, delinquent in the August 12 sexual assault of a 16-year-old girl at a party while she was in a drunken stupor.

"Let me be clear," DeWine said on Monday in a statement. "Threatening a teenage rape victim will not be tolerated. If anyone makes a threat verbally or via the Internet, we will take it seriously, we will find you, and we will arrest you," he added.

WTRF, a local media outlet, reported that the two girls would appear before a juvenile court judge in Steubenville on Tuesday. Calls to DeWine's office seeking confirmation of the hearing were not returned on Monday.

A judge ordered Richmond held in a juvenile detention facility for at least one year and Mays for at least two years. The juvenile system could hold them until age 21. Both were required to register as juvenile sex offenders.

At a news conference on Sunday, DeWine said that he would seek a grand jury investigation into whether others should be charged in failing to report or stop the rape. Investigators interviewed 27 partygoers, but said that 16 others refused to cooperate.

tod evans
03-19-2013, 04:38 AM
Lippin' off online now gets a person charged with menacing...:eek:

mrsat_98
03-19-2013, 05:18 AM

mj will get you 25 years in Louisiana. http://www.nola.com/opinions/index.ssf/2013/03/no_more_life_for_marijuana_dis.html

juleswin
03-19-2013, 05:37 AM
Yet another reason why kids should stay off twitter and facebook.

Spikender
03-19-2013, 05:55 AM
Yet another reason why everyone should stay off twitter and facebook.

I agree.

RonPaulFanInGA
03-19-2013, 06:05 AM
Yet, the "victim" never will be charged with underage drinking.

youngbuck
03-19-2013, 10:11 AM

Yea, lol, that's what I was thinking. People sure do take farcebook seriously nowadays.

abacabb
03-19-2013, 10:14 AM
We have a weak society. If you act like a jerk, like me, and people call you one, you can't be throwing people in jail over it.

angelatc
03-19-2013, 10:17 AM

I don't actually agree with it, but threatening to kill somebody has always been illegal in America. (Maybe not always, but you know what I mean...)

Anti Federalist
03-19-2013, 10:55 AM
I agree.

I see what you did, and I concur.

Fivezeroes
03-19-2013, 11:30 AM

Threatening to kill her is just a little bit worse than her consuming alcohol at 16. There's also a such thing as statute of limitations, which I'm quite sure has passed. No one can say that I didn't tell you guys in my thread, that making online threats is now considered a class 5 felony. People thought I was bsing when I told them that.

RonPaulFanInGA
03-19-2013, 11:37 AM
There's also a such thing as statute of limitations, which I'm quite sure has passed.

Statute of Limitations are usually years and years. This event took place months ago, in August 2012.

Fivezeroes
03-19-2013, 11:39 AM
Statute of Limitations are usually years and years. This event took place months ago, in August 2012.

Years and years for violent crimes, not misdemeanors.

angelatc
03-19-2013, 11:43 AM

Amazing that the so-called Libertarians think that she should be charged for under-aged drinking. We've spent years and years philisophically insisting that there should be no drinking age. This is just the crowd that thinks she deserved to get raped trying to punish her. Because apparently being violently assaulted isn't punishment enough, or something.

Fivezeroes
03-19-2013, 11:45 AM
Amazing that the so-called Libertarians think that she should be charged for under-aged drinking. We've spent years and years philisophically insisting that there should be no drinking age. This is just the crowd that thinks she deserved to get raped trying to punish her. Because apparently being violently assaulted isn't punishment enough, or something.

My thoughts exactly, isn't rape punishment enough?

phill4paul
03-19-2013, 11:48 AM

Ohio law Officer Awesome...

(1) Except as provided in division (A)(2) or (3) of this section or as otherwise provided in this section, a prosecution shall be barred unless it is commenced within the following periods after an offense is committed:

(a) For a felony, six years;

(b) For a misdemeanor other than a minor misdemeanor, two years;

(c) For a minor misdemeanor, six months.

The boys were arrested within 10 days after the incident. Therefore, she could have been charged also based on the same witness testimony and video used to charge the boys. Had they chosen to. Arbitrary law enforcement is arbitrary.

Fivezeroes
03-19-2013, 11:51 AM
Ohio law Officer Awesome...

(1) Except as provided in division (A)(2) or (3) of this section or as otherwise provided in this section, a prosecution shall be barred unless it is commenced within the following periods after an offense is committed:

(a) For a felony, six years;

(b) For a misdemeanor other than a minor misdemeanor, two years;

(c) For a minor misdemeanor, six months.

The boys were arrested within 10 days after the incident. Therefore, she could have been charged also based on the same witness testimony and video used to charge the boys. Had they chosen to. Arbitrary law enforcement is arbitrary.

Yea, she could have been, but after being raped what sense would that have made? People here are trying to get them to press charges well after the statute of limitations expired.

Christian Liberty
03-19-2013, 11:51 AM

I'm not sure that that's a clear cut libertarian thing. The libertarian view is that you have no right to stop an adult from hurting themselves. Not sure that applies to a minor. I mean, drinking in moderation isn't so horrible and should probably be a parental decision but if you sell crack to a minor (Note the "To a minor" part of this") you should be punished for that.

angelatc
03-19-2013, 11:53 AM
My thoughts exactly, isn't rape punishment enough?

Not in their world, because they honestly believe she asked for it and therefore likely enjoyed it on some level. I think the problem here is that they are literally mentally ill. I can't imagine dehumanizing someone to that level, but somehow they're convinced - absolutely, thoroughly entirely convinced - that the only problem here was that someone convinced her to file charges.

angelatc
03-19-2013, 11:56 AM
I'm not sure that that's a clear cut libertarian thing. The libertarian view is that you have no right to stop an adult from hurting themselves. Not sure that applies to a minor. I mean, drinking in moderation isn't so horrible and should probably be a parental decision but if you sell crack to a minor (Note the "To a minor" part of this") you should be punished for that.

It's the parental responsibility. The full-court idiots don't even believe that parents have the right to lor over minors in any fashion, but on the grand scale, I thought the consensus was that government has no business meddling in the market, or protecting people from themselves. Children belong to the parents, not the village.

I can honestly say that I wish I had been allowed to drink socially as a teen, because perhaps I wouldn't have gone batshit crazy with it when I turned 18.

Fivezeroes
03-19-2013, 11:58 AM
It's the parental responsibility. The full-court idiots don't even believe that parents have the right to lor over minors in any fashion, but on the grand scale, I thought the consensus was that government has no business meddling in the market, or protecting people from themselves. Children belong to the parents, not the village.

I can honestly say that I wish I had been allowed to drink socially as a teen, because perhaps I wouldn't have gone batshit crazy with it when I turned 18.

I just did it when I was 12 and busy skipping school. Ahh, the good old days of being young and dumb.

mike6623
03-20-2013, 07:14 AM

No, threatening murder does.

mike6623
03-20-2013, 07:15 AM

Are you fucking serious? Were the boys?

mike6623
03-20-2013, 07:17 AM

Finally something I agree with, these posts are making me angry. No one knows what they are talking about. I pray for more daughters being raped, so everyone can say it was her responsibility to take care of her body.

Fivezeroes
03-20-2013, 07:18 AM
Are you fucking serious? Were the boys?

You didn't hear? apparently the girl who was raped was drunk flirting with the jocks. So it's her fault she was raped.

mike6623
03-20-2013, 07:20 AM
You didn't hear? apparently the girl who was raped was drunk flirting with the jocks. So it's her fault she was raped.

Yea I heard. I don't care if she did, that doesn't mean that once she is too drunk to walk you can go ramming shit up her twat. And texts show one of the guys saying he fucked her and that she looked dead.

Fivezeroes
03-20-2013, 07:24 AM
Yea I heard. I don't care if she did, that doesn't mean that once she is too drunk to walk you can go ramming shit up her twat. And texts show one of the guys saying he fucked her and that she looked dead.

Finally, someone who gets it. Yes, I found it quite disgusting how some of the people up here were saying she deserved to be raped.

mike6623
03-20-2013, 07:29 AM
Finally, someone who gets it. Yes, I found it quite disgusting how some of the people up here were saying she deserved to be raped.

I know, I saw that picture before it came out. My little cousin who is in High school had it sent by someone. Apparently it was everywhere, as well as a video that magically disappeared, even though once a video Is posted online....it is pretty much there....somewhere, forever. All of those guys were laughing and making fun about fucking her, or whatever while she looked dead. I am just floored that the coach was never called to testify and that they were not charged as adults. I also cannot believe the toughest sentence was 2 years. The one year kid will be out in august with time served. Like I said in another post, I was arrested when I was having serious drug issues, years ago, and was given 18 months and 5 years of probation for first offense drug possession, and I didn't even have drugs physically on me.

Nirvikalpa
03-20-2013, 08:33 AM
Finally something I agree with, these posts are making me angry. No one knows what they are talking about. I pray for more daughters being raped, so everyone can say it was her responsibility to take care of her body.

I personally wouldn't wish for any more women to get raped...
Even in other threads you were stating to men that you wish their daughters would get raped... yet you are defending this girl's innocence, why not defend the innocence of the girls you are hoping would get raped?

Backwards thinking. No one should be raped. Ever.

brushfire
03-20-2013, 09:07 AM
Backwards thinking. No one should be raped. Ever.

I may be crude, and have an unpopular take, but I'm fine with the thought of the convicted getting visited by others "of their kind" in the night.
Maybe the "sisters" can give these guys some perspective...

tod evans
03-20-2013, 05:34 PM
I may be crude, and have an unpopular take, but I'm fine with the thought of the convicted getting visited by others "of their kind" in the night.
Maybe the "sisters" can give these guys some perspective...

The "convicted" could very well be you...:eek:

Unless you have some ties to the "Just-Us" department...