PDA

View Full Version : URGENT - Internet Sales Tax Vote On Wednesday!!! (3/19/13)

Matt Collins
03-18-2013, 09:47 PM
Urgent e-mail just sent out!

http://www.chooseliberty.org/images/Header-3.jpg
Dear Liberty Activist,

I’ve just learned that senators supporting the so-called “Marketplace Fairness Act” are planning to force a full Senate vote on Internet taxes this Wednesday by attaching it to the Senate’s budget resolution.

This misguided proposal, despite being masked in “conservative-sounding” talking points, sets the stage for government at all levels to snatch another helping of your money via the Internet and opens the door for even more federal regulations.

More accurately described as the National Internet Tax Mandate, this legislation allows states to tax businesses without any “physical presence” in their state, ignoring the standard established by the Supreme Court in Quill v. North Dakota.

It flips the original intent of the Commerce Clause on its head by subjecting businesses to burdensome out-of-state taxes and represents the worst sort of taxation without representation.

And big-spending governors just can’t wait to get their hands on what essentially amounts to new bailout money through the federal government forcing more taxes on their citizens.

The last thing our country needs right now is more government and more special interests grabbing at our wallets.

Those who support lower taxes and smaller government must stand united in opposition to turning small Internet retailers into tax collectors for the states.

Please contact Senators Lamar Alexander at 202-224-4944 and Bob Corker at 202-224-3344 right away and demand a “NO” vote on all attempts to pass or endorse S. 336, the so-called “Marketplace Fairness Act.”

This vote is of vital importance, and one senator could make all the difference.

Even if the budget resolution itself is defeated, if the Senate passes this amendment, supporters of the National Internet Tax Mandate will have momentum to fast-track their legislation as a standalone bill.

The U.S. Senate is under massive pressure from big corporations and D.C. lobbyists to get this tax bill passed.

It’s up to you and me to raise our voices and stop their plan, and one vote could make all the difference.

Please make your call right away and urge Senators Lamar Alexander and Bob Corker to hold the line.

In Liberty,
http://www.chooseliberty.org/images/tate-signature.gif
John Tate
President

P.S. On Wednesday, supporters of the National Internet Tax Mandate bill plan on forcing a Senate vote on their scheme by attaching it to the Senate’s budget resolution.

Please contact Senators Lamar Alexander at 202-224-4944 and Bob Corker at 202-224-3344 right away and demand a “NO” vote on all attempts to pass or endorse S. 336, the so-called “Marketplace Fairness Act.”

After you’ve contacted your senators, please chip in $10 or $15 to help Campaign for Liberty (http://paracom.paramountcommunication.com/ct/11888685:14921628963:m:1:170731130:D478096C63C4D64 5BDA04BDCB9661248:r) continue to reach more Americans on this vital issue!

Noob
03-19-2013, 03:11 AM
Oppose the Marketplace Fairness Act

https://secure.freedomworks.org/site/Advocacy?cmd=display&page=UserAction&id=798

Tinnuhana
03-19-2013, 05:19 AM
Hey Matt, toady is Tuesday the 19th. So is the vote on Wednesday the 20th?

juleswin
03-19-2013, 05:35 AM
I don't get it, I still pay sales tax every time I buy something off the internet. So is this going to be an extra tax on top of the state sales tax?

Matt Collins
03-19-2013, 07:46 AM
I don't get it, I still pay sales tax every time I buy something off the internet. So is this going to be an extra tax on top of the state sales tax?
You only pay tax if the business you are buying in has a physical presence in the state you are shipping to. So if you live in Texas and order something from Minnesota, you pay no state sales tax. I mean legally you are supposed to, but there is no way for the state governments to enforce it due to the early 90's court ruling. This bill would overturn that and force every Internet store to collect online sales tax for every state. Talk about a confusing mess...

Todd
03-20-2013, 09:32 AM
bump

kahless
03-20-2013, 10:18 AM
This is a small business killer. As a small business owner the record keeping for the different sales tax for each county in your state is difficult enough. Now imagine having to deal with the sales tax laws in all 50 states. Of course each state will have varying taxes depending on the county and city, more paperwork and more chances to miss one of them resulting in fines.

Companies and organizations to boycott (from supporters of Market Place Fairness Act)
http://www.marketplacefairness.org/support/

Scumbag co-sponsors House and Senate:

H.R. 684: Marketplace Fairness Act of 2013

Introduced:
Feb 14, 2013 (113th Congress, 2013–2015)
Sponsor:
Rep. Steve Womack [R-AR3]

Amodei, Mark [R-NV2]
Barletta, Lou [R-PA11]
Capuano, Michael [D-MA7]
Chu, Judy [D-CA27]
Cohen, Steve [D-TN9]
Conaway, Michael [R-TX11]
Conyers, John [D-MI13]
Crawford, Eric “Rick” [R-AR1]
Crenshaw, Ander [R-FL4]
DelBene, Suzan [D-WA1]
Dent, Charles [R-PA15]
Deutch, Theodore [D-FL21]
Diaz-Balart, Mario [R-FL25]
Ellison, Keith [D-MN5]
Ellmers, Renee [R-NC2]
Gibson, Christopher [R-NY19]
Griffin, Tim [R-AR2]
Grimm, Michael [R-NY11]
Johnson, Henry “Hank” [D-GA4]
Langevin, James “Jim” [D-RI2]
Larson, John [D-CT1]
McCollum, Betty [D-MN4]
Noem, Kristi [R-SD0]
Norton, Eleanor [D-DC0]
Pingree, Chellie [D-ME1]
Poe, Ted [R-TX2]
Ross, Dennis [R-FL15]
Sánchez, Linda [D-CA38]
Schock, Aaron [R-IL18]
Schwartz, Allyson [D-PA13]
Scott, Austin [R-GA8]
Speier, Jackie [D-CA14]
Stivers, Steve [R-OH15]
Tsongas, Niki [D-MA3]
Welch, Peter [D-VT0]
Young, Todd [R-IN9]
Duncan, John “Jimmy” [R-TN2]
Quigley, Mike [D-IL5]
Sanchez, Loretta [D-CA46]
Grijalva, Raúl [D-AZ3]
Schakowsky, Janice “Jan” [D-IL9]
Bachus, Spencer [R-AL6]
Griffith, Morgan [R-VA9]
Horsford, Steven [D-NV4]
Larsen, Rick [D-WA2]
Rigell, Scott [R-VA2]
Smith, Adam [D-WA9]

S. 336: Marketplace Fairness Act of 2013
Introduced:
Feb 14, 2013 (113th Congress, 2013–2015)
Sponsor:
Sen. Michael Enzi [R-WY]

Alexander, Lamar [R-TN]
Blunt, Roy [R-MO]
Boozman, John [R-AR]
Cardin, Benjamin [D-MD]
Corker, Bob [R-TN]
Durbin, Richard [D-IL]
Feinstein, Dianne [D-CA]
Franken, Alan “Al” [D-MN]
Harkin, Thomas “Tom” [D-IA]
Heitkamp, Heidi [D-ND]
Johnson, Tim [D-SD]
Klobuchar, Amy [D-MN]
Landrieu, Mary [D-LA]
Levin, Carl [D-MI]
Manchin, Joe [D-WV]
Pryor, Mark [D-AR]
Reed, John “Jack” [D-RI]
Rockefeller, John “Jay” [D-WV]
Whitehouse, Sheldon [D-RI]
Cowan, William “Mo” [D-MA]
King, Angus [I-ME]
Warren, Elizabeth [D-MA]
Collins, Susan [R-ME]
Carper, Thomas [D-DE]
Hirono, Mazie [D-HI]
Graham, Lindsey [R-SC]

kahless
03-20-2013, 10:56 AM
Jim DeMint: No Internet Taxation Without Representation
Subjecting online retailers to 10,000 local tax jurisdictions is a terrible idea.
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10000872396390444226904577559414267708728.html

The burden on Internet entrepreneurs could be staggering. There are already nearly 10,000 state, local and municipal tax jurisdictions to navigate nationwide. -- Jim Demint

skyorbit
03-20-2013, 06:32 PM
So did this nonsense pass?

tsai3904
03-20-2013, 06:34 PM
So did this nonsense pass?

They didn't vote on it today and it hasn't been scheduled for a vote yet.

Matt Collins
03-20-2013, 06:42 PM
Insider sources are telling me tomorrow.

Keith and stuff
03-20-2013, 06:42 PM
This is a small business killer. As a small business owner the record keeping for the different sales tax for each county in your state is difficult enough. Now imagine having to deal with the sales tax laws in all 50 states. Of course each state will have varying taxes depending on the county and city, more paperwork and more chances to miss one of them resulting in fines.

My guess is that companies will come out with programs to handle that for the small businesses. Yes, prices will rise, profits will suffer or some combination but I doubt many of the individual small businesses are going to even try to figure it out themselves.

Anti Federalist
03-20-2013, 07:29 PM
Another "do si do" in the Compliance Two Step.

All businesses, large and small, need to start following the lead of the gun makers, and just shut up shop and leave high tax, high compliance locations.

Noob
04-18-2013, 02:43 PM
No National Internet Tax Petition

http://www.chooseliberty.org/internet_tax.aspx

Noob
05-02-2013, 08:36 AM
bump

Matt Collins
05-02-2013, 08:45 AM
Now it's looking like May 6

Keith and stuff
05-02-2013, 03:08 PM
At Senator Kelly Ayotte's town hall today, she said the vote will be on Monday. Since she is leading the opposition against it, she is likely to know when the vote is scheduled. Senator Ayotte said that she has tried hard to stop it, using a variety of procedures. But, she thinks the tax increasers have the votes to pass it in the Senate. She encouraged people to contact their Reps. My Rep has come out against it. I'm not sure about the other Reps.

Matt Collins
05-02-2013, 03:15 PM
At Senator Kelly Ayotte's town hall today, she said the vote will be on Monday. Since she is leading the opposition against it, she is likely to know when the vote is scheduled. Senator Ayotte said that she has tried hard to stop it, using a variety of procedures. But, she thinks the tax increasers have the votes to pass it in the Senate. She encouraged people to contact their Reps. My Rep has come out against it. I'm not sure about the other Reps.

Yes, correct, the vote will now be THIS Monday May 6th