PDA

View Full Version : 'Being White in Philly' Feature Piece Sparks Outrage

AuH20
03-18-2013, 12:15 PM
Oh knoes!!

http://www.phillymag.com/articles/white-philly/

Mayor asks for investigation:
http://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/2013/03/15/controversial-article-published-in-local-magazine-has-mayor-nutter-asking-for-investigation/

juleswin
03-18-2013, 12:18 PM
Oh no, another racially instigating article on RPF. Which side is going to be outraged by this? whites, blacks asians, jews?

Going to take out my popcorn and watch

AuH20
03-18-2013, 12:36 PM
Mayor Nutter: 1st Amendment doesn't protect controversial article:

http://www.vdare.com/posts/nutter-1st-amendment-doesnt-protect-being-white-in-philly

While I fully recognize that constitutional protections afforded the press are intended to protect the media from censorship by the government, the First Amendment, like other constitutional rights, is not an unfettered right, and notwithstanding the First Amendment, a publisher has a duty to the public to exercise its role in a responsible way. I ask the Commission to evaluate whether the "speech" employed in this essay is not the reckless equivalent of "shouting 'fire!' in a crowded theater," its prejudiced, fact-challenged generalizations an incitement to extreme reaction.

What a joke!

jkr
03-18-2013, 12:48 PM
THEN its a privilege not a RIGHT...

fkn morons

AuH20
03-18-2013, 12:54 PM
THEN its a privilege not a RIGHT...

fkn morons

The protected class monster rears it's ugly head yet again. The world would be a better place if we were all honest with each other.

Deborah K
03-18-2013, 12:56 PM
The protected class monster rears it's ugly head yet again. The world would be a better place if we were all honest with each other.

Some people are just too sensitive and special. We MUST protect their feelings.

Anti Federalist
03-18-2013, 01:01 PM
Confusion, misread intentions, bruised feelings—everyone has not only a race story, but a thousand examples of trying to sort through our uneasiness on levels large and trivial. I do, too. My rowhouse in Mount Airy is on a mostly African-American block; it’s middle-class and friendly—in fact, it’s the friendliest street my family has ever lived on, with block parties and a spirit of watching out for each other. Whether a neighbor is black or white seems to be of no consequence whatsoever.

Yet there’s a dance I do when I go to the Wawa on Germantown Avenue. I find myself being overly polite. Each time I hold the door a little too long for a person of color, I laugh at myself, both for being so self-consciously courteous and for knowing that I’m measuring the thank-you’s. A friend who walks to his car parked on Front Street downtown early each morning has a similar running joke with himself. As he walks, my friend says hello and makes eye contact with whoever crosses his path. If the person is white, he’s bestowing a tiny bump of friendliness. If the person is black, it’s friendliness and a bit more: He’s doing something positive for race relations.

Ugh, more white guilt and wallowing around in racially constructed political confusion, worrying about this that or the other thing.

And a Doomberg wannabe, as mayor, claiming that, in the land of the free, this article should not have 1st Amendment protections.

I am, quite frankly, tired of hearing about it.

Ending police/prosecutor abuse, ending the drug war, ending wealth redistribution to states, cities and individuals, eliminating insane monetary/tax and business regulations, promoting strong families/self reliance and eliminating anti self defense laws would be the very best, most positive changes to affect the black community in half a century.

Basically everything that "conservatives" and "limited government" folks like us have been screaming about for so long.

And of course, according to the government and SPLC we're racists and terrorists.

SMFH at all of this...

phill4paul
03-18-2013, 01:02 PM
the First Amendment, like other constitutional rights, is not an unfettered right

"Second amendment not unlimited."

I'm starting to see the trend.

Deborah K
03-18-2013, 01:03 PM
The comment section is rather interesting.....

Anti Federalist
03-18-2013, 01:03 PM
the First Amendment, like other constitutional rights, is not an unfettered right

Second amendment not unlimited. I'm starting to see the trend.

Silence Mundane.

Anti Federalist
03-18-2013, 01:05 PM
I ask the Commission to evaluate whether the "speech" employed in this essay is not the reckless equivalent of "shouting 'fire!' in a crowded theater," its prejudiced, fact-challenged generalizations an incitement to extreme reaction

Why would this provoke an "extreme reaction"?

This was so insulting to white folks that they are going to take to the streets and riot?

No?

Oh, I see...

AuH20
03-18-2013, 01:06 PM

I thought this was the most controversial part of the article. Non-Americans criticizing inner city blacks:

Early on, during my walks around northern Fairmount, I’m surprised by a couple of things. One is the international flavor. On a warm Sunday in October, I buttonhole a woman I’ll call Anna, a tall, slim, dark-haired beauty from Moscow getting out of her BMW on an alley just south of Girard College. Anna goes to a local law school, works downtown at a law firm, and proceeds to let me have it when we start talking about race in her neighborhood.

“I’ve been here for two years, I’m almost done,” she says. “Blacks use skin color as an excuse. Discrimination is an excuse, instead of moving forward. … It’s a shame—you pay taxes, they’re not doing anything except sitting on porches smoking pot … Why do you support them when they won’t work, just make babies and smoking pot? I walk to work in Center City, black guys make compliments, ‘Hey beautiful. Hey sweetie.’ White people look but don’t make comments. … ”

That’s the other surprise: If you’re not an American, the absence of a historical filter results in a raw view focused strictly on the here and now. I meet a contractor from Maine named Adrian, who brought his Panamanian wife to live here, at 19th and Girard, where she saw fighting and drug deals and general bad behavior at the edge of Brewerytown. It all had her co-nvinced there is a “moral poverty” among inner-city blacks.

Petar
03-18-2013, 01:07 PM
The comments after this article are actually a lot more interesting than your average race-baiting story..

juleswin
03-18-2013, 01:10 PM
"Second amendment not unlimited."

I'm starting to see the trend.

And do you blame them when most of us have conceded that argument. You cannot shout fire in a crowded theatre, you cannot have a full auto gun etc etc. My question is why? I am tempted to buy a small theatre, fill it with my friends and then shout fire to see what happens. Yes the owner of the theatre can make rules that nobody can shout fire in a crowded theatre when there are no fires but why is it any of the congress business?

phill4paul
03-18-2013, 01:11 PM
Silence Mundane.

But, but...I-I-I meant to say that I am well pleased that our glorious fathers are explaining the true meaning of the c-c-constitution. Of, course, I-I meant that we should be thankful for inter-inter-interpretations that a-are above someone such as my-myself.......

http://houseten.files.wordpress.com/2012/02/begging-dog.gif

Anti Federalist
03-18-2013, 01:12 PM
And do you blame them when most of us have conceded that argument. You cannot shout fire in a crowded theatre, you cannot have a full auto gun etc etc. My question is why? I am tempted to buy a small theater and fill it with my friends and shout fire. Yes the owner of the theatre can make rules that nobody can shout fire in a crowded theatre when there are no fires but why is it any of the congress business?

It's not and speak for yourself.

Alcohol, tobacco, firearms and explosives should be the name of convenience store, not a FedCoat agency.

phill4paul
03-18-2013, 01:14 PM
Shouldn't someone be going after Biden for his first amendment protected statement that they engage in an unlawful act?

AuH20
03-18-2013, 01:16 PM
My favorite comment from a black woman setting some some of the racists straight:

Read my post. You confuse People in dark skin with N&*^%s. FYI, I have dark skin. You would call it Black. And n^&%$*s hate, hate, hate me. I went to college, married, gave birth to one child, do not smoke weed all day and make babies. So, it is not a White thing. N^&*%$s like no one but themselves.

And for the record, I know plenty of white N^&%$#s. It isn't a black phenomenon. By no means.

Antischism
03-18-2013, 01:26 PM
Some interesting comments on that article, there.

"American cities with an appreciable size population of blacks all have but a matter of time before death knocks at the door. This is not racism but truth."

"Who care if you are labeled a racist? For 50 years we have bent over backward to help 13% of our population that does not seem to be able to enter the civilized world. At some point, we have to say enough."

"You state the obvious, but few can admit to it. Where are the great accomplishments of Africans? There are few, because instead of advancing, moving out, and evolving they were satisfied with swingin from trees and eating bananas."

"Leftists aren't white except in appearance only. On the inside, they are anything but white."

"Every sense the slaves were freed, they have been trying as hard as possible to become slaves once again."

"Well the black man is at least trying to think of something, even if it's imposable. Blacks know how to commit crime they're professionals at that, and of course receiving free government assistance.."

"Sadly, blacks who actually contributed to the growth of civilization are sneered at by their own kind, because many of them could not carry a football, dunk a basketball or play music.
Democrats love their trained simians."

"Why is the Ni&&er mayor grandstanding? To get the black vote and support. Go sit down on this one Koon-Nutter and be happy your people have been integrated into OUR society. Do not forget you ni&&ers begged to be integrated into OUR society..."

"Yes they are good entertainers, so tell me did Chuck Berry land on the moon?
My dog entertains me when we play fetch. but he never invented the airplane.
Black accomplishments? I am not sure Aids or STDs count."

"None of the black people you mentioned actually came from an african society. The only reason they excelled is because they were able to grab onto the coattails of the white society they lived in, not to mention that several of those people you mentioned were of mixed race."

"We should have never turned on the lights in Darkest Africa ."

"80% of our problems are caused by 13% of our citizens. This has been that way for over 100 years. No other "minority" has ever caused as much trouble. As to contribution, it is minimal to non-existant."

"western civilization was the greatest achievement of whites and now that all is crumbling because of the growth of lower races who have no hope of developing beyond the level of simian."

"BULL, life did not start in AFRICA, God created the races, and Blacks were created black, and whites white. One was dumb with the abilities to live in mud huts and eat each other, which continues today, and other smart, with the ability to invent a way to build a home, city, nation and industry, the other a spear, lip plate, nose bone, and Rastafarian hair. I'll never buy the Africa first theory, which it is just an opinion of some gilt ridden white intellect."

"Since the dawn of history the knee-grow has owned the continent of Africa - rich beyond the dream of poet's fancy, crunching acres of diamonds beneath his bare black feet. Yet he never picked one up from the dust until a white man showed to him its glittering light. His land swarmed with powerful and docile animals, yet he never dreamed a harness, cart, or sled. A hunter by necessity, he never made an axe, spear, or arrowhead worth preserving beyond the moment of its use. He lived as an ox, content to graze for an hour. In a land of stone and timber he never sawed a foot of lumber, carved a block, or built a house save of broken sticks and mud. With league on league of ocean strand and miles of inland seas, for four thousand years he watched their surface ripple under the wind, heard the thunder of the surf on his beach, the howl of the storm over his head, gazed on the dim blue horizon calling him to worlds that lie beyond, and yet he never dreamed a sail."

What strikes me is that most of these posters bash "libtards" or are self-proclaimed conservatives. I wonder where the stereotype that conservatives are racist is derived from... God, it's embarrassing to read through some of this.

I wish people would quit focusing on RACE and look at the real issues instead. I guess latching onto race is the easy way out. IT'S THE NEGRO'S FAULT, 'MERICA WOULD BE GREAT IF NOT FOR DEM BLACKS. It happens on both sides, and it's equally stupid all of the time.

talkingpointes
03-18-2013, 01:28 PM
worthless thread with a very divisive issue. This thread will work to diffuse prejudice.

AuH20
03-18-2013, 01:31 PM

"American cities with an appreciable size population of blacks all have but a matter of time before death knocks at the door. This is not racism but truth."

"Who care if you are labeled a racist? For 50 years we have bent over backward to help 13% of our population that does not seem to be able to enter the civilized world. At some point, we have to say enough."

"You state the obvious, but few can admit to it. Where are the great accomplishments of Africans? There are few, because instead of advancing, moving out, and evolving they were satisfied with swingin from trees and eating bananas."

"Leftists aren't white except in appearance only. On the inside, they are anything but white."

"Every sense the slaves were freed, they have been trying as hard as possible to become slaves once again."

"Well the black man is at least trying to think of something, even if it's imposable. Blacks know how to commit crime they're professionals at that, and of course receiving free government assistance.."

"Sadly, blacks who actually contributed to the growth of civilization are sneered at by their own kind, because many of them could not carry a football, dunk a basketball or play music.

"Why is the Ni&&er mayor grandstanding? To get the black vote and support. Go sit down on this one Koon-Nutter and be happy your people have been integrated into OUR society. Do not forget you ni&&ers begged to be integrated into OUR society..."

"None of the black people you mentioned actually came from an african society. The only reason they excelled is because they were able to grab onto the coattails of the white society they lived in, not to mention that several of those people you mentioned were of mixed race."

"80% of our problems are caused by 13% of our citizens. This has been that way for over 100 years. No other "minority" has ever caused as much trouble. As to contribution, it is minimal to non-existant."

"western civilization was the greatest achievement of whites and now that all is crumbling because of the growth of lower races who have no hope of developing beyond the level of simian."

"BULL, life did not start in AFRICA, God created the races, and Blacks were created black, and whites white. One was dumb with the abilities to live in mud huts and eat each other, which continues today, and other smart, with the ability to invent a way to build a home, city, nation and industry, the other a spear, lip plate, nose bone, and Rastafarian hair. I'll never buy the Africa first theory, which it is just an opinion of some gilt ridden white intellect."

"Since the dawn of history the knee-grow has owned the continent of Africa - rich beyond the dream of poet's fancy, crunching acres of diamonds beneath his bare black feet. Yet he never picked one up from the dust until a white man showed to him its glittering light. His land swarmed with powerful and docile animals, yet he never dreamed a harness, cart, or sled. A hunter by necessity, he never made an axe, spear, or arrowhead worth preserving beyond the moment of its use. He lived as an ox, content to graze for an hour. In a land of stone and timber he never sawed a foot of lumber, carved a block, or built a house save of broken sticks and mud. With league on league of ocean strand and miles of inland seas, for four thousand years he watched their surface ripple under the wind, heard the thunder of the surf on his beach, the howl of the storm over his head, gazed on the dim blue horizon calling him to worlds that lie beyond, and yet he never dreamed a sail."[/I]

What strikes me is that most of these posters bash "libtards" or are self-proclaimed conservatives. I wonder where the stereotype that conservatives are racist is derived from... God, it's embarrassing to read through some of this.

I wish people would quit focusing on RACE and look at the real issues instead. I guess latching onto race is the easy way out. IT'S THE NEGRO'S FAULT, 'MERICA WOULD BE GREAT IF NOT FOR DEM BLACKS. It happens on both sides, and it's equally stupid all of the time.

Aryan groups get drawn to these types of articles like a moth to flame. It's fairly obvious by the rhetoric.

KingNothing
03-18-2013, 01:31 PM
What was offensive about the Being White in Philly article? Keep in mind, I'm a person who has been called a "Marxist" for suggesting other posters here harbor racist opinions.

KingNothing
03-18-2013, 01:34 PM

"Since the dawn of history the knee-grow has owned the continent of Africa - rich beyond the dream of poet's fancy, crunching acres of diamonds beneath his bare black feet. Yet he never picked one up from the dust until a white man showed to him its glittering light. His land swarmed with powerful and docile animals, yet he never dreamed a harness, cart, or sled. A hunter by necessity, he never made an axe, spear, or arrowhead worth preserving beyond the moment of its use. He lived as an ox, content to graze for an hour. In a land of stone and timber he never sawed a foot of lumber, carved a block, or built a house save of broken sticks and mud. With league on league of ocean strand and miles of inland seas, for four thousand years he watched their surface ripple under the wind, heard the thunder of the surf on his beach, the howl of the storm over his head, gazed on the dim blue horizon calling him to worlds that lie beyond, and yet he never dreamed a sail."

Emphasis added. It really is embarrassing.

juleswin
03-18-2013, 01:37 PM

Love this quote the best. This is exactly what Africans do everyday, except they fling our feces at each other and then eat the bananas. This is usually how most of these posts end. I will keep saying this, if you want to see a change in Africa, kick the UN, the US and most EU out. The last thing they want is for Africa to develop that is why they keep fighting war, supporting dictators and keep squashing any movement for change.

Hopefully when the western govts are gone, they can build all the coal fired power plants they want, cut down as many forest area for development as they want and by god use all the DDT they can buy to kill those persky mosquitoes.

abacabb
03-18-2013, 01:39 PM
“Blacks use skin color as an excuse. Discrimination is an excuse, instead of moving forward. … It’s a shame—you pay taxes, they’re not doing anything except sitting on porches smoking pot … Why do you support them when they won’t work, just make babies and smoking pot? I walk to work in Center City, black guys make compliments, ‘Hey beautiful. Hey sweetie.’ White people look but don’t make comments. … ”
http://www.phillymag.com/articles/white-philly/2/

http://i3.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/000/196/194/Snowy_Owl_Nyctea_scandiaca_006-by_John_White-m.jpg

KingNothing
03-18-2013, 01:42 PM
Love this quote the best. This is exactly what Africans do everyday, except they fling our feces at each other and then eat the bananas. This is usually how most of these posts end. I will keep saying this, if you want to see a change in Africa, kick the UN, the US and most EU out. The last thing they want is for Africa to develop that is why they keep fighting war, supporting dictators and keep squashing any movement for change.

Hopefully when the western govts are gone, they can build all the coal fired power plants they want, cut down as many forest area for development as they want and by god use all the DDT they can buy to kill those persky mosquitoes.

The banning of DDT is one of the most elitist, racist, things western countries have done in recent memory.

AuH20
03-18-2013, 01:44 PM
Another moron who cannot differentiate between SYMPTOMS and the core problem, which is unchallenged, centralized power:

proudclod229
03-18-2013, 01:54 PM
It seems to be a objective, well-written piece. The first ammendment doesn't apply for what reason Mr. Nutter?

"But this is how I see it: We need to bridge the conversational divide so that there are no longer two private dialogues in Philadelphia—white people talking to whites, and black people to blacks—but a city in which it is okay to speak openly about race. That feels like a lot to ask, a leap of faith for everyone. It also seems like the only place to go, the necessary next step.

Meanwhile, when I drive through North Philly to visit my son, I continue to feel both profoundly sad and a blind desire to escape.

Though I wonder: Am I allowed to say even that?"

If the man is even "investigated" for what he wrote, there's something seriously wrong with the state of things...I'm pretty sure everyone here could agree to that.

Nothing that he wrote was incendiary--not even a little bit.

BlackTerrel
03-18-2013, 07:45 PM
Oh knoes!!

http://www.phillymag.com/articles/white-philly/

Mayor asks for investigation:
http://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/2013/03/15/controversial-article-published-in-local-magazine-has-mayor-nutter-asking-for-investigation/

Damn there is a hell of a lot of whining in that article by Robert Huber. Although he keeps everyone else name anonymous so how do we even know what is true and what isn't?

“Oh,” he says, smiling, “I went home one night from the bar and two guys smashed my face into the cement steps of my house”—that’s what messed up his glasses. “A few days later I got my wallet back in the mail—they had thrown it in somebody’s mailbox.”

He acknowledges that his assailants were black. “Not that that matters,” he says.

Except to this guy it obviously does matter that they are black? And why? And what exactly should be done about it do you think?

That’s the other surprise: If you’re not an American, the absence of a historical filter results in a raw view focused strictly on the here and now. I meet a contractor from Maine named Adrian, who brought his Panamanian wife to live here, at 19th and Girard, where she saw fighting and drug deals and general bad behavior at the edge of Brewerytown. It all had her co-nvinced there is a “moral poverty” among inner-city blacks.

American whites I talk to in Fairmount have a decidedly different take. Our racial history, as horrible and daunting as it is, has created a certain tolerance of how things operate in the neighborhood, an acceptance of an edgy status quo.

By the way that's the exact argument I have made repeatedly on RPF. Race relations in this country are getting better not worse. And for the most part they are better here than any other place on earth.

BlackTerrel
03-18-2013, 07:46 PM

The comment section on most "controversial topics" usually attracts the worse of the worse. It's not indicative of attitudes of any population except for the people who decide to fill out the comment section.

BlackTerrel
03-18-2013, 07:47 PM
Why would this provoke an "extreme reaction"?

This was so insulting to white folks that they are going to take to the streets and riot?

No?

Oh, I see...

Where are you going with this?

BlackTerrel
03-18-2013, 07:49 PM
My favorite comment from a black woman setting some some of the racists straight:

And for the record, I know plenty of white N^&%$#s. It isn't a black phenomenon. By no means.

Really? So you would call a white or an Asian or a black person that word? Really?

AuH20
03-18-2013, 07:54 PM
Really? So you would call a white or an Asian or a black person that word? Really?

Yes, it's more a state of mind as opposed to a racial slur specially tailored for haters of blacks. Chris Rock said it best.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3PJF0YE-x4

awake
03-18-2013, 08:02 PM
To become what you claim to be fighting against ... No matter how racist or sexist the "minorities" and their "policies" become toward non minorities, the labels simply don't stick to them at all. Its almost magical.

Anti Federalist
03-18-2013, 08:10 PM
Where are you going with this?

Nowhere really.

Just asking the mayor who was going to have this "extreme reaction" and why.

ETA - A reaction so extreme that it warrants, apparently, the overturning of the 1st Amendment.

I'm not expecting an answer from hizzoner...maybe you have one.

VoluntaryAmerican
03-18-2013, 09:06 PM
I thought it was a pretty good article.

All the writer was trying to do, i think, is be honest about his feelings and the feelings of his white neighbors about race and the cities problems. Nothing seemed racist about that to me, he just wants an open dialogue.

The most disturbing thing in the article was when he said the graduation rate in the city is 50%!!! Holy crap. Now that is nuts.

AuH20
03-18-2013, 09:08 PM

All the writer was trying to do, i think, is be honest about his feelings and the feelings of his white neighbors about race and the cities problems. Nothing seemed racist about that to me, he just wants an open dialogue.

The most disturbing thing in the article was when he said the graduation rate in the city is 50%!!! Holy crap. Now that is nuts.

Ironically enough, it was it Eric Holder who asked for an open dialogue on issues of race.

BlackTerrel
03-18-2013, 09:20 PM
Yes, it's more a state of mind as opposed to a racial slur specially tailored for haters of blacks. Chris Rock said it best.

Really? So you call black people the n word? And that's not racist?

If you're going to quote Chris Rock then I think this is more appropriate for the OP.

Racism everywhere. Who’s the maddest people? White people.
No, you watch the TV, watch 60 Minutes. You see white people pissed off, man.
Man, the white man thinks he’s losing the country.
You watch the news: “We’re losing everything. We’re fucking losing. Affirmative action and illegal aliens… and we’re fucking losing the country.”
Losing? Shut the fuck up. White people ain’t losing shit.
If y’all losing, who’s winning? It ain’t us.
Shit, there ain’t a white man in this room that would change places with me.
None of you would change places with me. And I’m rich!
That’s how good it is to be white.
There’s a white, one-legged busboy in here right now… that won’t change places with my black ass.
He’s going, “Nah, man, I don’t wanna switch. I wanna ride this white thing out. See where it takes me.”
That’s right, ’cause when you white, the sky’s the limit.
When you black, the limit’s the sky!

Origanalist
03-18-2013, 09:20 PM

They call me White Chocolate

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_CgmnmoZn-Z8/SvbdeQPdkTI/AAAAAAAAAzw/Ju9AGbNmJOg/s1600/Barney_Frank_the_Man_Pimp_by_Conservatism.jpg

BlackTerrel
03-18-2013, 09:21 PM

I'm actually 100% for honest dialog on race. Talking about stuff is good. Keeping it underground isn't.

This isn't that. This is one guy whining and making up a bunch of people (who wanted to remain anonymous). Man up and put a name to it.

AuH20
03-18-2013, 09:24 PM

If you're going to quote Chris Rock then I think this is more appropriate for the OP.

You watch the news: “We’re losing everything. We’re fucking losing. Affirmative action and illegal aliens… and we’re fucking losing the country.”
There’s a white, one-legged busboy in here right now… that won’t change places with my black ass.
He’s going, “Nah, man, I don’t wanna switch. I wanna ride this white thing out. See where it takes me.”

I don't utilize the N word thanks to the historical baggage associated with it, but conversely, I condone the use by others when the shoe fits. There are black people and then there are.............. Even black people are aware of the problem. It's the 2000 pound elephant in the room. In the countryside, we have white meth heads, who are routinely referred to as "White Trash." I never see anyone complain when so-called "White Trash" are continually belittled and mocked.

Anti Federalist
03-18-2013, 09:27 PM
We are both losing the country.

And we sit here and get at each others throats, while the people we are losing it to, who don't give a flying rat's ass about black OR white America are laughing their sick fucking asses off.

BlackTerrel
03-18-2013, 09:29 PM
I don't utilize the N word thanks to the historical baggage associated with it, but conversely, I condone the use by others when the shoe fits. There are black people and then there are.............. Even black people are aware of the problem. It's the 2000 pound elephant in the room. In the countryside, we have white meth heads, who are routinely referred to as "White Trash." I never see anyone complain when so-called "White Trash" are continually belittled and mocked.

You really don't think there is a difference between "White Trash" and the N word in the American context?

And why would you then condone calling whites and Asians the N word? Would you call Asians and blacks white trash then?

kcchiefs6465
03-18-2013, 09:30 PM

And we sit here and get at each others throats, while the people we are losing it to, who don't give a flying rat's ass about black OR white America are laughing their sick fucking asses off.
Exactly. And some people are so damned concerned about race they really do not care.

Goddamn, do any of you think those 'chains' [which you already wear, I'd add] feel any different to the next person?

BlackTerrel
03-18-2013, 09:31 PM

Except we aren't. We aren't at each others throats. People in this country of all races get along just fine.

Even the article in the OP agreed that racial relations are much better in this country than others.

KingNothing
03-18-2013, 09:33 PM
I call black people "white trash," white people "******s," spics "gooks" and Jews "pollacks.".

I like to keep my collectivist bigotry edgy and fresh.

EDIT: ****** is a banned word here. Damn ******s ******ing up the board.

EDIT 2: A word without context mean nothing, regardless of the power people choose to give a word.

AuH20
03-18-2013, 09:34 PM
You really don't think there is a difference between "White Trash" and the N word in the American context?

And why would you then condone calling whites and Asians the N word? Would you call Asians and blacks white trash then?

It means the same thing, if you remove the historical connotation. Let's have an adult conversation here, and ignore the nonsense that takes place in the media. I'm telling you that the N word is a mentality far more applicable to society at large. This isn't any inherent racism on my part. This is the reality of things. Black people are not N^&*((s, which many foolish racists believe. Poor, ignorant, dysfunctional...... We have many lost souls in this country and it's far from a black thing (only 13% nationally).

kcchiefs6465
03-18-2013, 09:36 PM

Just say '******'... I think we are all adults here. Nothing is more silly than, "the 'N' word." We know what you're referring to, you know what you're referring to. Go to an urban area and 'nigga' is more common than 'dude.'

ETA: I forgot you can't... :o

AuH20
03-18-2013, 09:39 PM
And another thing, why is an education and allegedly "acting white" considered a betrayal to the black race in the inner city??????? I cannot understand this mentality. I think you can still retain your cultural foundations and at the same time, enlighten yourself, without selling out to the white devil. To beat the white devil, you would think you would want to learn his ways.

BlackTerrel
03-18-2013, 09:43 PM
It means the same thing, if you remove the historical connotation.

Except you can't do that. You can't just remove the historical connotation and hundreds of years of history. The world doesn't work that way.

Let's have an adult conversation here, and ignore the nonsense that takes place in the media. I'm telling you that the N word is a mentality far more applicable to society at large. This isn't any inherent racism on my part. This is the reality of things. Black people are not N^&*((s, which many foolish racists believe. Poor, ignorant, dysfunctional...... We have many lost souls in this country and it's far from a black thing (only 13% nationally).

I don't really want to keep arguing here because I actually think we're 99% in agreement here.

Just I'll add that there's a million other words you can use to describe that behavior other than one which has a ton of historical baggage. Seems an inappropriate and offensive word to use when you don't have to.

BlackTerrel
03-18-2013, 09:45 PM
Just say '******'... I think we are all adults here. Nothing is more silly than, "the 'N' word." We know what you're referring to

I should say stars instead of the N word? Just kidding I see what happened.

you know what you're referring to. Go to an urban area and 'nigga' is more common than 'dude.'

Yes it is. But it is a difference in how people interact with their friends and how adults debate in an open forum. I wouldn't use that word in a job setting or civilized debate though I may use it among good friends.

AuH20
03-18-2013, 09:46 PM
Except you can't do that. You can't just remove the historical connotation and hundreds of years of history. The world doesn't work that way.

I'm glad we have the comfort of this forum to discuss these controversial issues. The word is certainly toxic audibly for good reason, but when some blacks use it to describe the more downtrodden of their flock, I must regretfully agree. I'm sorry if I come across as an insensitive prick, since that was not my intention.

BlackTerrel
03-18-2013, 09:47 PM
And another thing, why is an education and allegedly "acting white" considered a betrayal to the black race in the inner city??????? I cannot understand this mentality. I think you can still retain your cultural foundations and at the same time, enlighten yourself, without selling out to the white devil. To beat the white devil, you would think you would want to learn his ways.

This I actually agree with you 100% on and have said it on this board, to my own community in person, at my mom's church and amongst friends on facebook. You have no idea how much I agree on this one.

I HATE that being smart and doing well financially is considered a bad thing in parts of the black community.

I am 100% for open dialog like this. I just don't think that's what the original article was doing - it was playing victim.

AuH20
03-18-2013, 09:50 PM
This I actually agree with you 100% on and have said it on this board, to my own community in person, at my mom's church and amongst friends on facebook. You have no idea how much I agree on this one.

I HATE that being smart and doing well financially is considered a bad thing in parts of the black community.

I am 100% for open dialog like this. I just don't think that's what the original article was doing - it was playing victim.

There were some anecdotes that were abit rough, but the overall arc wasn't bad.

BlackTerrel
I'm glad we have the comfort of this forum to discuss these controversial issues. The word is certainly toxic audibly for good reason, but when some blacks use it to describe the more downtrodden of their flock, I must regretfully agree. I'm sorry if I come across as an insensitive prick, since that was not my intention.

No you don't at all. You come across as open and level headed.

I'm sorry if I come off as an asshole. I just get emphatic on things. Which comes across worse online than in real life. I am very rarely mad when reading these forums - just expressing my views strongly.

Anyway enough touchy feely ish.

KingNothing
"The N Word is just white people getting away with saying ******." - Louis CK, being awesome as always

BlackTerrel
03-18-2013, 09:52 PM
There were some anecdotes that were abit rough, but the overall arc wasn't bad.

My issue with articles like that is that he avoids saying anything overtly racist to give himself cover but he certainly writes in a way that he wants his audience to react in a racist way. And likely with anger.

The danger can be a little steeper. One afternoon, at Krupa’s Tavern at 27th and Brown, a guy named Bob tells me about working in the mailroom at Rolling Stone magazine years ago and shows me an anthology of Beat-era writers he’s reading. I can’t resist asking him about his wire-rim glasses, which are way down on his nose and twisted at an absurd angle—there’s no way he can see out of them.

“Oh,” he says, smiling, “I went home one night from the bar and two guys smashed my face into the cement steps of my house”—that’s what messed up his glasses. “A few days later I got my wallet back in the mail—they had thrown it in somebody’s mailbox.”

He acknowledges that his assailants were black. “Not that that matters,” he says.

It doesn't matter. People get attacked all the time. But the writer clearly wants people to think that it does matter. Why else is he writing about it?

AuH20
03-18-2013, 09:56 PM
My issue with articles like that is that he avoids saying anything overtly racist to give himself cover but he certainly writes in a way that he wants his audience to react in a racist way. And likely with anger.

The danger can be a little steeper. One afternoon, at Krupa’s Tavern at 27th and Brown, a guy named Bob tells me about working in the mailroom at Rolling Stone magazine years ago and shows me an anthology of Beat-era writers he’s reading. I can’t resist asking him about his wire-rim glasses, which are way down on his nose and twisted at an absurd angle—there’s no way he can see out of them.

It doesn't matter. People get attacked all the time. But the writer clearly wants people to think that it does matter. Why else is he writing about it?

I think that particular passage was used to describe how sheepish white people are, when confronted with the issue of race, especially in such a highly polarized environment like Philadelphia. I noticed that in some of the cities (think Cleveland as well) with a profound history of racial conflict, whites tread very carefully in black areas and vice versa (think Yusuf Hawkins in Howard Beach.) For example, Cleveland is very segregated and the Cuyahoga river almost acts like a boundary of sorts.

KingNothing
03-18-2013, 09:58 PM

But it is still a valid point. I understand that news reports only list an assailant's race when it is relevant to a story and I COMPLETELY agree with that standard, but it often feels like there is some fear in white media members to ever admit that there are black criminals and that sometimes they target white people.

Whether that is real or not, it is definitely something that people think, and the statement you quoted feels like a reaction to it.

BlackTerrel
03-18-2013, 09:58 PM
I think that particular passage was used to describe how sheepish white people are when confronted with the issue of race, especially in such a highly polarized environment like Philadelphia.

Why sheepish? The guy was beaten up by two black assholes. Those two guys who beat him up are assholes and thugs and should be prosecuted and thrown in jail. Same as if the assailants were white or Asian or Hispanic.

Not sure where this has a wider racial component to it.

KingNothing
03-18-2013, 10:01 PM
I think that particular passage was used to describe how sheepish white people are when confronted with the issue of race, especially in such a highly polarized environment like Philadelphia. I noticed that in some of the cities (think Cleveland as well) with a profound history of racial conflict, whites tread very carefully in black areas and vice versa.

Exactly. And I have a theory that the white people who are so sheepish are struggling internally with racist feelings that they know are wrong and want to surpress. So they act that way, and hope accidental racism never slips out of their mouths.

AuH20
03-18-2013, 10:08 PM
Exactly. And I have a theory that the white people who are so sheepish are struggling internally with racist feelings that they know are wrong and want to surpress. So they act that way, and hope accidental racism never slips out of their mouths.

There could be some truth to that. Thanks to such horrible experiences, they may have written all black people off, so to speak. It's a shame because there are some people who have given up on black people, thanks to bad experiences in the inner city. Speaking from experience, I've had both good and bad experiences in urban areas, but the black folks living in the southern states were delightful human beings.

oyarde
03-18-2013, 10:10 PM
Oh no, another racially instigating article on RPF. Which side is going to be outraged by this? whites, blacks asians, jews?

Going to take out my popcorn and watch

If you are a fiscal conservative in that city and actually a taxpayer, you should leave.No matter what flavor or color .You will just be supporting the massive Socialist/Commie/Dem/Welfare base.

Anti Federalist
03-18-2013, 10:47 PM
Except we aren't. We aren't at each others throats. People in this country of all races get along just fine.

Even the article in the OP agreed that racial relations are much better in this country than others.

So then WTF is the (black) mayor running around saying that the paper should have self censored itself, should never have published this piece and he is concerned about an "extreme reaction".

Valli6
03-18-2013, 11:01 PM
Mayor Nutter is aware that there are some black youths in Philidelphia that reinforce racial sterotypes by seeking out white persons just to beat them up. Why the sudden oversensitivity?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YtnXE3dGYvM

BlackTerrel
03-18-2013, 11:57 PM
So then WTF is the (black) mayor running around saying that the paper should have self censored itself, should never have published this piece

They should have. Papers have a responsibility not to post irresponsible journalism. They should have self censored. That's his opinion and he's not going to legislate anything against them is he? If he is then I'd oppose that obviously. All of on this forum would. As would the vast majority of Americans.

and he is concerned about an "extreme reaction".

Well I disagree there. The same people who were racist before this article are still racist and vice versa. Not much changes because of one damn article. It just allows them to crawl out from their usual hiding spot for a few minutes.

There won't be an extreme reaction. He is wrong. I agree.

Anti Federalist
03-19-2013, 12:13 AM
They should have. Papers have a responsibility not to post irresponsible journalism. They should have self censored. That's his opinion and he's not going to legislate anything against them is he? If he is then I'd oppose that obviously. All of on this forum would. As would the vast majority of Americans.

How is it "irresponsible"?

It was the writer's opinion as well, nothing more.

You may not like it, or you may disagree, but the only way it would be "irresponsible" is if you DO agree with Nutter and it WOULD cause some "extreme reaction" (like a stampede toward the exits from shouting "fire" in a crowded room, to use a very worn cliche').

Notwithstanding, usually, when the locals get recalcitrant and refuse to comply with the local Gauleiter's edicts, they tend to do just that, run and get laws passed to accomplish the goal.

See: Mike Doomberg in NYC.

People don't give a shit about rights and liberty and freedom, they care about jobs, money, wielding petty power, airing petty grievances and what's entertaining.

Nutter could propose a local ordinance be passed that would ban the publication of "inflammatory hate speech" and the people of Philadelphia would line up in favor of it, by large majorities.

Well I disagree there. The same people who were racist before this article are still racist and vice versa. Not much changes because of one damn article. It just allows them to crawl out from their usual hiding spot for a few minutes.

There won't be an extreme reaction. He is wrong. I agree.

Well, that's good to know

BlackTerrel
03-21-2013, 11:37 PM
How is it "irresponsible"?

It was the writer's opinion as well, nothing more.

You may not like it, or you may disagree, but the only way it would be "irresponsible" is if you DO agree with Nutter and it WOULD cause some "extreme reaction" (like a stampede toward the exits from shouting "fire" in a crowded room, to use a very worn cliche').

I don't think that's the case. It would be irresponsible for the paper to publish a piece praising pedophiles wouldn't you agree?

But I don't think such a piece would lead to an extreme reaction either. It wouldn't create any new pedophiles or cause any real harm. But I do think it would be irresponsible.

Notwithstanding, usually, when the locals get recalcitrant and refuse to comply with the local Gauleiter's edicts, they tend to do just that, run and get laws passed to accomplish the goal.

OK I did have to look up recalcitrant and Gauleiter on google so you win this one. Nothing I can say.

See: Mike Doomberg in NYC.

For the record I think these NYC laws are retarded.

People don't give a shit about rights and liberty and freedom, they care about jobs, money, wielding petty power, airing petty grievances and what's entertaining.

I don't think that's true. Depends how you define liberty and freedom and depends which people you're talking about.

Nutter could propose a local ordinance be passed that would ban the publication of "inflammatory hate speech" and the people of Philadelphia would line up in favor of it, by large majorities.

Do you have any polls to back that up? I haven't looked into it but I would be shocked if that were the case.

I think most everyone I know across the political spectrum would oppose censoring unpopular views. Even those as bad as the Westboro Baptists.

oyarde
03-22-2013, 12:57 AM
I would not live in Philly if I was any color.

BlackTerrel
03-22-2013, 07:40 PM
I would not live in Philly if I was any color.

You're missing out. Philly is a great city.