PDA

View Full Version : Is Rand Paul the Next Robert Taft?

Brett85
03-18-2013, 08:17 AM
http://www.salon.com/2013/03/18/the_mainstreaming_of_rand_paul/

itshappening
03-18-2013, 08:22 AM
This is an interesting article... will they screw Rand like Taft at the convention if he wins Iowa, SC, NH etc?

I don't think they could get away with it in the modern day and throw it to someone else.

I find it interesting that Salon and generally progressive sites are paying attention to Rand and are reporting on him objectively in a way they would never do for any other Republican. They obviously see him differently and appreciate his civil liberties and drug policy stance in the face of the authoritarian Obama. This will also mean they will rip his economic and social policies soon enough and increase scrutiny but it's good for opening up some progressive eyes that he has their attention.

LatinsforPaul
03-18-2013, 08:42 AM
If the GOP had nominated Robert Taft, instead of Dwight Eisenhower, we probably would not have the Iran problems we have today.

itshappening
03-18-2013, 08:55 AM
I think the case needs to be made to leading progressive "thinkers" and writers (as opposed to the hacks and propagandists) that they should support $2 trillion worth of government rather than $3.8 trillion. Rand has used that line before and I think it could be argued effectively.

If progressives really care about Medicare, Medicaid and Social Security then they ought to reject the wasteful expansion of government in order to fund those welfare programs... although I dont think they can ever be funded and are going to implode eventually there are ways that can prolong their life through "reform" and then committing to funding them by rejecting wasteful spending elsewhere.

The Dept. of Education is not progressive. It does not own or run any schools which are left to states and counties it is nothing but a Federal bureaucracy that does indeed need to be eliminated (along with many others). I dont see how this argument can be countered as it's factually true and progressives who care about the Great Society welfare programs should reject and come out against the special interest driven expansion of bureaucracy and the Federal government.

Similarly as Rand said in his speech there is nothing progressive about these obscene loan guarantee's to special interest (Obama donors) to build solar panels so you can see where he's going with this. He is trying to make the case to them to reject the vast bureaucracy and focus on "saving" and "preserving" the welfare programs.

I think there is going to be serious buyers remorse about Obamacare when it hits in 2014 and young people either have to stump up $6,000/year for medical insurance or opt out and take the IRS "fine". Businesses will also be reducing hours where they can get away with it to under 30 in order to circumvent the mandate so if progressives claim to speak to service sector employees (waiters, bartenders etc) how can they support a policy that is going to seriously destroy their employment prospects and force them to work less hours and make less money which means they will struggle with rent and bills ?

This is just nonsense and as Rand said in his speech while expansion and "universal" coverage is a well intentioned goal there is no such thing as a free lunch. You cannot have something for nothing and Obamacare is going to be seriously destructive with all its rules, regulations, mandates and fines. Obamacare will be exposed for what it is: written by the insurance companies to make them billions and screw the lower and middle class.

Remember, these people won't have to vote for Obama ever again so I think they're going to start reassessing him in the years ahead and may come to some startling conclusions.

supermario21
03-18-2013, 08:56 AM
If the GOP had nominated Robert Taft, instead of Dwight Eisenhower, we probably would not have the Iran problems we have today.

"All The Shah's Men" is a great book to read about how we were manipulated by the British and really messed things up in the Middle East. When Ron Paul mentioned this story in one of the 08 debates, I instantly was converted to Paul's foreign policy views and how everything really made sense.

Napolitanic Wars
03-18-2013, 01:43 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_-HDuxV7T4