PDA

View Full Version : 2 NYPD officers who shot teen had faced lawsuits

aGameOfThrones
03-17-2013, 06:00 AM
NEW YORK (AP) — Two police officers who killed a 16-year-old boy on a New York City street have been sued for alleged civil rights violations related to other encounters with the public, the Daily News reported Saturday.

The city has paid $215,000 to settle three lawsuits against Sgt. Mourad Mourad and two against officer Jovaniel Cordova, the newspaper reported (http://nydn.us/XHjdZx ).

The officers were in Brooklyn's East Flatbush section March 9 when they tried to stop and question 16-year-old Kimani Gray on the street. Police say the officers, who were not wearing uniforms, shot the teen after he pulled a gun.

Gray's killing prompted a week of protest marches in Brooklyn, including some incidents that turned violent, with people ransacking a market and throwing items at police officers and police vehicles.

The civil rights lawsuits against Mourad and Cordova were filed by people who claimed they were illegally stopped and roughed up under the police department's stop-and-frisk program, where officers confront people they suspect might be carrying weapons.

A lawyer for the city's law department said the settlements did not indicate the officers were out of line. The two officers generally police dangerous high crime areas.

"None of these civil claims were tried, and the officers were not found to have engaged in any wrongdoing," said city lawyer Muriel Goode-Trufant. "The decision to settle should not be held against them."

http://news.yahoo.com/2-nypd-officers-shot-teen-had-faced-lawsuits-170856545.html

tod evans
03-17-2013, 06:52 AM
Translation;

Hey ignorant reader, the city just gives out free money to those who claim unfounded police brutality..

Our cops are the paragon of friendliness and respectability, see no "judgments" made..

kcchiefs6465
03-17-2013, 11:51 AM
The civil rights lawsuits against Mourad and Cordova were filed by people who claimed they were illegally stopped and roughed up under the police department's stop-and-frisk program, where officers confront people they suspect might be carrying weapons.

I'm sure the people there are tired of being stopped, frisked, harrassed, beaten, tased, robbed, unlawfully detained, and generally treated like shit by their so-called protecters. Someone getting shot is just the final straw. I highly doubt this was the first kid shot to death by police in the area. Did any of you guys see the footage of the kid ran over by the cop car? A residential road in the projects and a cop car, reportedly with no headlights on, hits the teen. Crushed this kid's skull. [literally] Did that cop get in trouble? I really don't know, seeing that no one even talked about it or has heard about it. I would doubt it though. I would also doubt the people of that neighborhood forgot about it.

I figured as much.