http://i372.photobucket.com/albums/oo161/sunblush/cpacvote004_zps2b17c0ba.jpg
With 25%
To Rubio's 23%

ronpaulfollower999
03-16-2013, 03:38 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3GwjfUFyY6M

Brett85
03-16-2013, 03:39 PM
I was surprised that Rubio was that close to Rand. The straw poll showed that 52% of voters were ages 18-25 and about 70% were voters 18-30. That means that a lot of those voters voted for Rubio or voted for another candidate.

jkr
03-16-2013, 03:40 PM
RANDSLIDE!

FSP-Rebel
03-16-2013, 03:41 PM
I was surprised that Rubio was that close to Rand. The straw poll showed that 52% of voters were ages 18-25 and about 70% were voters 18-30. That means that a lot of those voters voted for Rubio or voted for another candidate.
At least there's a notable shift in attitudes on foreign policy and civil liberties.

itshappening
03-16-2013, 03:44 PM

A lot of these young College Republicans loved Romney. They tend to be from wealthy and establishment families. That explains Rubio's vote. Rand got a lot of the libertarian vote, along with Ron who should never have been on the ballot... nearly a third of all votes.

FriedChicken
03-16-2013, 03:47 PM
At least there's a notable shift in attitudes on foreign policy and civil liberties.

To me thats actually the highlight.
I'm glad Rand won, but he's still gonna have to share the headline with Rubio and ... really ... they're just say that his filibuster is to blame and he just peaked at the right time (honestly probably why he did actually).

But the conservative wing of the party moving our direction is a bigger victory than we've ever had before - even with Ron winning in the past. If things keep in this direction we'll be picking up major momentum in 2016 and Rand might even be able to change more than we expected if he does become the president.

FSP-Rebel
03-16-2013, 03:48 PM
//

FriedChicken
03-16-2013, 03:51 PM
Just as a talking point ...
If people say it was essentially a tie between Paul and Rubio than, using the same logic, it was essentially a tie between Santorum and [Ron] Paul as well.

Also, I haven't seen the actual vote counts ...
Who wins if you put Santorum and Rubio on one team and the Pauls on the other? Just curious.

rubioneocon
03-16-2013, 03:56 PM
With Rubio Right on his heals

if some kids don't know yet about the dangers of the neo-conservatives and the military industrial complex . . .
then we just have more education to do . . . one by one . . . step by step

LibertyEagle
03-16-2013, 03:56 PM
Cruz just said they need to repeal the NDAA and explained why. :)

MelissaWV
03-16-2013, 03:57 PM
A lot of these young College Republicans loved Romney. They tend to be from wealthy and establishment families. That explains Rubio's vote. Rand got a lot of the libertarian vote, along with Ron who should never have been on the ballot... nearly a third of all votes.

Where are you getting information that Ron was actually on the ballot?

Slutter McGee
03-16-2013, 04:00 PM
Someone wrote this in another thread. Not their exact words, not my idea, but a good point.

It being close probably helps us even more. People will be more likely to talk about it rather than write it off.

Slutter McGee

itshappening
03-16-2013, 04:00 PM
From someone in the other thread who said Ron got 6%, i've not confirmed it of course

Brett85
03-16-2013, 04:01 PM

I don't see Ron anywhere on the ballot.

http://conservative.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/CPAC-Straw-Poll-2013-Results-1.pdf

Mr.NoSmile
03-16-2013, 04:02 PM
Now the question is- how do we push this without it seeming confronational? Without us coming off as Paulites or Paulbots or libertarians as opposed Republicans? This coupled with the filibuster and both Rand and Ron Paul's ideals being pushed at this year's CPAC show the winds are changing. We could indeed jump on this to foster alliances or relationships with those who are either unsure or still in the tank for Rubio.

itshappening
03-16-2013, 04:02 PM
Someone posted BS information then. Ban them.

Anyway, a lot of Rubio's voters are former Romney voters. Romney won the straw poll 4 times.

They're the College Republicans from wealthy families who got the fat contracts when Bush was in office.

Brett85
03-16-2013, 04:04 PM
Why was Cruz on the ballot? Has he hinted at running for President?

July
Cruz: We need to audit the fed.

Cshelton21
They allowed write in candidates, but none of them got more than 1%.

FrankRep
03-16-2013, 04:05 PM
Now the question is- how do we push this without it seeming confronational? Without us coming off as Paulites or Paulbots or libertarians as opposed Republicans? This coupled with the filibuster and both Rand and Ron Paul's ideals being pushed at this year's CPAC show the winds are changing. We could indeed jump on this to foster alliances or relationships with those who are either unsure or still in the tank for Rubio.
Speak like Rand Paul. Learn the conservative language.

MelissaWV
Ron was not on the ballot, but they allowed write-ins. This was explained in the other thread. This is why duplicate threads suck.

Write-ins, per the video, included Richard Nixon and Judge Nap. I will go ahead and guess they included some people who wrote in Ron Paul because they just don't like Rand enough to bother, though that makes me wonder why on earth they even showed up at CPAC?

itshappening
Cruz is repeating all Rand's platform...

ronpaulfollower999
03-16-2013, 04:06 PM

He'll be a great asset in 2015/16.

Kilrain
03-16-2013, 04:06 PM

Play up Rubio in a way that sounds positive, but really shines the light on Rand?

Like: "Look at the CPAC results. Rubio did really well. He almost beat Rand Paul, that dude will be hard to beat in 2016."

Crude, but you get the idea. Not saying it's a good idea, just a suggestion.

LibertyEagle
03-16-2013, 04:07 PM
"Stand with Israel", says Cruz, but end aid to those countries that hate us.

Sorry, but I'm for ending ALL foreign aid, Senator.

July
03-16-2013, 04:07 PM

Indeed, he's hitting all his talking points....

LibertyEagle
03-16-2013, 04:08 PM
Speak like Rand Paul. Learn the conservative language.

Yup. That's how we do it.

People should also listen to Cruz's speeches. Paleocons eat that stuff up.

rubioneocon
03-16-2013, 04:08 PM
http://i372.photobucket.com/albums/oo161/sunblush/cpacvote004_zps2b17c0ba.jpg

LibertyEagle
03-16-2013, 04:09 PM
Indeed, he's hitting all his talking points....

Well, except when it comes to aid to Israel. To be fair, he didn't say to continue aid to Israel, but it sure seemed like he inferred it.

itshappening
03-16-2013, 04:09 PM
Is Ted Cruz an establishment sleeper who they've got speaking like Rand Paul? I'm still a little weary of him.

TaftFan
03-16-2013, 04:10 PM
Well, except when it comes to aid to Israel. To be fair, he didn't say to continue aid to Israel, but it sure seemed like he inferred it.

He said "stand with Israel".

AuH20
03-16-2013, 04:11 PM
Is Ted Cruz an establishment sleeper who they've got speaking like Rand Paul? I'm still a little weary of him.

Cruz read all the same liberty-oriented literature that Paul did as a teenager and college student.

TaftFan
03-16-2013, 04:11 PM

He beat the establishment person, Dewhurst.

itshappening
03-16-2013, 04:12 PM
Even though he's speaking like Rand Ted wouldn't make a good presidential candidate. Rand's folksy style is more appealing. He's good for the base but that's about it. I doubt he would win much outside TX.

itshappening
03-16-2013, 04:14 PM
He beat the establishment person, Dewhurst.

You underestimate the establishment. They usually have both in their pocket. Rubio beat the establishment Crist but he then went to DC and hired every neocon he could think of and started being a hawk. Ted was solictor general and worked for Bush so be cautious.

LibertyEagle
03-16-2013, 04:14 PM
He said "stand with Israel".

Yeah and what does that mean, specifically?

LibertyEagle
03-16-2013, 04:15 PM

I am too. But, I like a lot that he is saying. But, we shall see.

compromise
03-16-2013, 04:17 PM
Cruz is a patriot. I doubt an "establishment sleeper" would go to the Senate floor and spend 1 hour 40 minutes speaking during Rand Paul's filibuster.

Brett85
03-16-2013, 04:18 PM

I'm sure he doesn't support cutting off aid to Israel. You have to understand how controversial that is, particularly in the Republican Party. I think Rand is the only politician in Washington DC who supports ending all foreign aid, including to Israel.

itshappening
Ted is also a Harvard grad and champion debater. He's incredibly smart. The elite harvest a lot of recruits from Harvard including the current occupant of the White House.

It would not surprise me if they did have him speaking like Rand to steal some of his thunder. These people study everything Rand says and does and sends in someone to sound like him. It's not so far fetched.

Brett85
All of the articles I've read so far basically say, "these kind of straw polls are generally meaningless."

Mr.NoSmile
03-16-2013, 04:19 PM
Play up Rubio in a way that sounds positive, but really shines the light on Rand?

Like: "Look at the CPAC results. Rubio did really well. He almost beat Rand Paul, that dude will be hard to beat in 2016."

Crude, but you get the idea. Not saying it's a good idea, just a suggestion.

So basically don't play down Rubio, don't come off as giving glowing support, but don't come off as a Paulite? Starting to grasp the concept of "Now you're speaking my language."

itshappening
03-16-2013, 04:19 PM
Cruz is a patriot. I doubt an "establishment sleeper" would go to the Senate floor and spend 1 hour 40 minutes speaking during Rand Paul's filibuster.

He would if he was on a "mission" to duplicate him and steal his thunder and votes.

compromise
03-16-2013, 04:20 PM
He would if he was on a "mission" to duplicate him and steal his thunder and votes.

Where do you even get these ridiculous conspiracies from?

TokenLibertarianGuy
03-16-2013, 04:22 PM

Infowars

AuH20
03-16-2013, 04:23 PM

But this isn't a Dick Durbin situation in that he switched from republican to democrat overnight. Cruz gave speeches back in high school about Mises and Hayek. His thesis was written on the 9th and 10th amendments.

itshappening
03-16-2013, 04:24 PM

You really think they just let anyone go to the US senate?

Ted was an appointed solicitor general in TX and worked for the Bush campaign.

So it would not surprise me if he's been told to speak like Rand in order to duplicate him and that's how he's being handled unless I see evidence to the contrary. You underestimate the establishment.

Remember Bush used to sound good when he said no nation building and he had a great record as TX governor. He was bought off though and when he was in the White House was nothing like the TX governor he was.

AuH20
03-16-2013, 04:28 PM

So it would not surprise me if he's been told to speak like Rand in order to duplicate him and that's how he's being handled unless I see evidence to the contrary. You underestimate the establishment.

Remember Bush used to sound good when he said no nation building and he had a great record as TX governor. He was bought off though and when he was in the White House was nothing like the TX governor he was.

If this was true, Dewhurst would have abstained from running for the vacant Senate seat.

puppetmaster
03-16-2013, 04:29 PM
Nothing in politics is an accident

itshappening
03-16-2013, 04:30 PM
If this was true, Dewhurst would have abstained from running for the vacant Senate seat.

Same deal in FL where the House Speaker Rubio went up against the Governor Crist. Both bought off.

The establishment are very smart.

itshappening
03-16-2013, 04:34 PM
They never just let someone run unopposed for a senate seat. There's always 2-3 candidates in the mix to provide the illusion of a choice.

All the US Senators except Rand who broke the Matrix due to his name and background and somehow Lee because of a coup at a nominating convention are bought off. It's hard to accept Ted is any different unless he proves otherwise.

He was appointed solicitor general and always had his eye on higher office otherwise he would have been making millions doing something else with Harvard degree's

compromise
03-16-2013, 04:36 PM

Hmmm...what about Amash..he donated $500 to McCain in '08..he secretly co-chaired Arab Americans for Romney...maybe the establishment are using him to duplicate Ron in the house. That's how he's being handled unless I see evidence to the contrary.

Do you seriously believe everyone who does not have "evidence to the contrary" is being handled by the establishment? Are you really that paranoid?

itshappening
03-16-2013, 04:38 PM
Hmmm...what about Amash...he donated $500 to McCain in '08..he secretly co-chaired Arab Americans for Romney...maybe the establishment are using him to duplicate Ron in the house. That's how he's being handled unless I see evidence to the contrary.

Do you seriously believe everyone who does not have "evidence to the contrary" is being handled by the establishment? Are you really that paranoid?

Amash is a congressman which is less of a headache for the establishment. They have hundreds of those so can afford to let one who isn't completely bought off through. There's about 5 who aren't!

The senate is the big prize though and with 2 exceptions they're all bought off and it's no accident they're there.

economics102
03-16-2013, 04:40 PM
Yes, I can see it now:

Establishment: "Ted, we want you go to the Senate and help Rand Paul. Be one of his strongest allies, help him accomplish anti-establishment things he couldn't accomplish without the help of his friends."

Ted Cruz: Ok!

Look, I'm not saying a little healthy skepticism isn't a wise policy, and I don't doubt that some of our allies will turn out to snakes, but you have to be willing to give people a chance and judge them by their actions, not just who they know.

If not Cruz, then what, we have one ally, Mike Lee, in the Senate? The guy who Harry Reid used to babysit?

<sits back and watches as debate shifts to whether babysitting qualifies as establishment corruption>

itshappening
03-16-2013, 04:42 PM
Quit thinking Ted is a selfless public servant with his Harvard degree's. He's not.

Like all the Senators - apart from 2 - it's no accident he's there unless he proves otherwise. He's plotted this for 10 years. He could have been making millions in the private sector but decided to be a solictor general appointed by Gov. Perry who is a Bush acolyte.

Give me a break...

DC is a racket and all the politicians with a handful of exceptions out of 535 are bought off.

jkob
03-16-2013, 04:43 PM
You guys are too paranoid. Cruz is an 'establishment plant' so he could take 4% of the vote at a post election year CPAC? The guy is an great ally of Rand in the senate, not perfect by any means but an ally none the less. Just because someone isn't Ron Paul-incarnate doesn't mean they're part of a massive conspiracy against us.

I don't believe Cruz can even run for president as he was born in Canada.

radiofriendly
03-16-2013, 04:43 PM
Raw footage of audience reaction of Straw Poll vote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6Hho3Xidz4
More info: www.iroots.org

AuH20
03-16-2013, 04:44 PM
Same deal in FL where the House Speaker Rubio went up against the Governor Crist. Both bought off.

The establishment are very smart.

#1 Rubio never embraced the grassroots and #2 he was never the extreme longshot that Cruz was. At one time, Cruz was below 10% overall against Dewhurst.

PatriotOne
03-16-2013, 04:44 PM

I am also a bit leery. I like what he says but his past credentials makes me keep one eye open. And this is exactly the type of thing the Bush faction, et al, would do.

AuH20
03-16-2013, 04:46 PM
Quit thinking Ted is a selfless public servant with his Harvard degree's. He's not.

Like all the Senators - apart from 2 - it's no accident he's there unless he proves otherwise. He's plotted this for 10 years. He could have been making millions in the private sector but decided to be a solictor general appointed by Gov. Perry who is a Bush acolyte.

Give me a break...

DC is a racket and all the politicians with a handful of exceptions out of 535 are bought off.

So Ted Cruz is supposed to live on cat food because the Bush Administration is in charge at the time and later when Perry is running Texas??? "You know what? I'm going to put my legal career on hold for 8 years!!!" Yes, politics is a cesspool but the web you're spinning is highly unlikely.

supermario21
03-16-2013, 04:47 PM
Ted Cruz worked for Bush but don't forget, as he said in his filibuster he fought the Bush administration and beat them on Agenda 21 or whatever his NWO he wanted.

PatriotOne
03-16-2013, 04:47 PM
You guys are too paranoid. Cruz is an 'establishment plant' so he could take 4% of the vote at a post election year CPAC? The guy is an great ally of Rand in the senate, not perfect by any means but an ally none the less. Just because someone isn't Ron Paul-incarnate doesn't mean they're part of a massive conspiracy against us.

I don't believe Cruz can even run for president as he was born in Canada.

That's just being politically naive at this point. I am very much hoping Cruz is a real ally but there's a few red flags worthy of keeping our eyes on him also.

compromise
03-16-2013, 04:49 PM

Maybe he's just smart. I'm sure there's a fair few Ron Paul supporters at Harvard.

itshappening
03-16-2013, 04:49 PM
Rubio is 5% in the polls, so what? Both were boosted by talk radio and a conservative 'backlash'.

The establishment tend to own the "other guy" too in Senate races. It's an old trick. Go through the senators and see for yourself. It's not easy to break into it and I consider 2 to be not bought off... Rand and Lee. Rand had a unique set of circumstances that we will never see again and Lee engineered a coup at a nominating convention.

Ted decided to be a public servant for 10 years because he's always got his eye on higher office. He could have made millions in the public sector.

DC is a racket and the politicians are there for themselves and their friends not for you or any 'cause'

PatriotOne
03-16-2013, 04:50 PM
So Ted Cruz is supposed to live on cat food because the Bush Administration is in charge at the time and later when Perry is running Texas??? "You know what? I'm going to put my legal career on hold for 8 years!!!" Yes, politics is a cesspool but the web you're spinning is highly unlikely.

Not unlikely at all. They saw which way the wind was blowing during Ron's first run. A sleeper is exactly the type of thing they would do.

supermario21
03-16-2013, 04:51 PM
The warhawks on twitter here we go...not that we care but somehow they all have between 20 and 30 thousand followers.

Kevin Eder ‏@keder
Good Lord. Rand Paul atop the CPAC straw poll. #headdesk

Kevin Eder ‏@keder
Somewhere, Chuck Hagel is having a glass of champagne over the CPAC straw poll results.

Kevin Eder ‏@keder
Don't dismiss these straw poll results as a bunch of libertarian cranks or an aberration. Not this time. Rand is for real.

Kevin Eder ‏@keder
And when I say "Rand Paul is for real," I'm not endorsing. Merely warning.

Jack Morizzi ‏@jmorizzi
Well, like father like son i guess. His dad was really succesful in the presidential primaries too. #CPAC #RandPaul

Jack Morizzi ‏@jmorizzi
Thing with Rand Paul: he appeals to a small part of GOP and thats great. But cant appeal to moderate Americans.

Jack Morizzi ‏@jmorizzi
I wonder if CPAC attendees thanked Rand for his vote on Hagel.

Jack Morizzi ‏@jmorizzi
Personally, I am more of a Rubio,Cruz,Ryan,Love,Martinez and maybe Christie kinda guy. I just really dont trust Paul with FP.

Ken Gardner ‏@kesgardner
Why do I love Ted Cruz, but am so wary of Rand Paul? Simple. Defense, national security, foreign policy, and counterterrorism issues.

V3n
Santorum came in 3rd.. pretty distant third, but that's disgusting. :(

rubioneocon
US citizen Cuban-American Ted Cruz can not be commander-in-chief because he was born on foreign soil . . .
and the United States Supreme Court has several cases backing up that definition of natural born.

AuH20
03-16-2013, 04:53 PM
Not unlikely at all. They saw which way the wind was blowing during Ron's first run. A sleeper is exactly the type of thing they would do.

Cruz was at woeful 2% when he entered the Texas Primary. Not soon after Gov. Rick Perry and nearly the entire GOP establishment backed Dewhurst. Dewhurst was the annointed one.

itshappening
03-16-2013, 04:56 PM
Cruz was at woeful 2% when he entered the Texas Primary. Not soon after Gov. Rick Perry and nearly the entire GOP establishment backed Dewhurst. Dewhurst was the annointed one.

So was Charlie Crist. Crist even had the NRSC backing him but Rubio still decided to "run". How nice of him.

supermario21
03-16-2013, 04:57 PM
I'll throw in another thing related to the narrow margin. Rand didn't exactly throw out red meat like Rubio. He laid out a plan, much of it being against traditional Republican orthodoxy. Rubio fired up the crowd with the same old nonsense about American exceptionalism.

TokenLibertarianGuy
03-16-2013, 04:58 PM
Complete blackout of the poll on foxnews.com

PatriotOne
03-16-2013, 04:58 PM

I'll take a look at that but like someone mentioned earlier, both candidates being backed by "them" would not be unusual.

AuH20
03-16-2013, 04:59 PM
So was Charlie Crist. Crist even had the NRSC backing him but Rubio still decided to "run". How nice of him.

Rubio is not even in Cruz's sphere. Rubio was a handpicked Aspen Institute grad who was Rep. Johnnie Byrd's understudy. Rubio publicly disavowed the Tea Party during the Florida Primary. They are virtually incompatible aside from their general ethnicity.

itshappening
03-16-2013, 05:00 PM
I'll take a look at that but like someone mentioned earlier, both candidates being backed by "them" would not be unusual.

It's not unusual and it's pretty standard. Takes a lot of money to win a Senate race. Ted knew all the right people in TX as he was Solicitor general for 8 years? He's been plotting this for a while. They're not bothered about him going to the Senate. In fact, they probably laughed about it pretty hard and apologized to the Lt Gov.

Now they've got him sounding like Rand.

Also, isn't his wife some banker? He could afford to be the solicitor general on a pittance instead of making money as a commercial lawyer. His wife will get richer now Ted is a senator.

Brett85
03-16-2013, 05:00 PM
It's interesting that there was stronger support for pro civil liberties positions in the poll than for a less interventionist foreign policy. I thought the civil liberties questions were phrased in a way that would hurt the pro civil liberties position, but there was still a lot more support for civil liberties than for the position that our allies should pay for more of their own defense. Apparently it's easier for Republicans to support civil liberties than for them to support less involvement overseas.

AuH20
03-16-2013, 05:02 PM

Dewhurst would have gotten the heads up from "above" to not spend $25 million of his own personal fortune, if this was "planned." That's all. Dewhurst spend tons of cash.

PatriotOne
03-16-2013, 05:05 PM
It's not unusual and it's pretty standard. Takes a lot of money to win a Senate race. Ted knew all the right people in TX as he was Solicitor general for 8 years? He's been plotting this for a while. They're not bothered about him going to the Senate. In fact, they probably laughed about it pretty hard and apologized to the Lt Gov.

Now they've got him sounding like Rand.

Also, isn't his wife some banker? He could afford to be the solicitor general on a pittance instead of making money as a commercial lawyer. His wife will get richer now Ted is a senator.

This is enough of a reason to give Cruz an anal probing if he plans on being close to Rand.

Cruz's wife is currently head of the southwest region in the investment management division of Goldman, Sachs & Co. and previously worked in the White House for Condoleezza Rice and in New York as an investment banker.

itshappening
03-16-2013, 05:06 PM
Ding Ding. Goldmans and Condi Rice connection.

It's worse than I thought.

They've been planning Cruz's career for a while and notice now they've got George P. Bush lined up in Texas.

Clever fuckers!

AuH20
03-16-2013, 05:06 PM
This is enough of a reason to give Cruz an anal probing if he plans on being close to Rand.

Cruz's wife is currently head of the southwest region in the investment management division of Goldman, Sachs & Co. and previously worked in the White House for Condoleezza Rice and in New York as an investment banker.

My father works for J.P. Morgan Chase. Should I kill him while he's sleeping?

itshappening
03-16-2013, 05:07 PM
Dewhurst would have gotten the heads up from "above" to not spend $25 million of his own personal fortune, if this was "planned." That's all. Dewhurst spend tons of cash.

Dewhurst will get paid back. Don't worry about him.

Texas politics is a dirty as it comes.

PatriotOne
03-16-2013, 05:12 PM

If they back both people they don't care how much they spend of their personal fortunes. How much did Romney spend of his own $ in the 2008 run? 11m or so?

itshappening
03-16-2013, 05:12 PM

If you decided to run for Senate he might bankroll you... and when you win, sit back and wait for those juicy amendments you get into bills and deals you do on his firms behalf.

It's a wonderful scam.

PatriotOne
03-16-2013, 05:13 PM

How high up the ladder is he?

PatriotOne
03-16-2013, 05:14 PM
I'm not ready to make that leap quite yet but Cruz needs an anal probing non-the-less :cool:.
Ding Ding. Goldmans and Condi Rice connection.

It's worse than I thought.

They've been planning Cruz's career for a while and notice now they've got George P. Bush lined up in Texas.

Clever fuckers!

speciallyblend
03-16-2013, 05:16 PM

hmmmmm? , good stuff there, funny material!

IndianaPolitico
03-16-2013, 05:19 PM

Wait, he asks should I kill him while he's sleeping, and you respond how high up the ladder is he?
:confused: ;)

TokenLibertarianGuy
03-16-2013, 05:19 PM

I used to work for Monsanto's legal department.

Liberty74
03-16-2013, 05:20 PM

I wouldn't go that far. We all know these straw polls are about who gets up off their asses and attend. It doesn't mean the attitudes within the Republican structure as we see it are "shifting." Fox News and neocon talk radio still exists. Put another way, 75% didn't vote for Rand. Remember, Ron won several times himself yet got blasted by all top dogs within that structure in 2012 primary/caucus.

AuH20
03-16-2013, 05:20 PM

He has access to the vaults downtown. I'll leave it at that. Aside from that, his politics fall in line with Rand Paul. Not everyone is a villain who works for these companies.

itshappening
03-16-2013, 05:22 PM
A lot of the College Republican crowd are Bush lovers and Romneyites.

They adored Mittens.

The libertarian forces are significant though and that's who gave Rand the victory. Keeps him in the news and helps the narrative. That's a positive.

TaftFan
03-16-2013, 05:22 PM
He has access to the vaults downtown. I'll leave it at that. Aside from that, his politics fall in line with Rand Paul. Not everyone is a villain who works for these companies.

Some people like making money.

itshappening
03-16-2013, 05:24 PM

JPM got a $12bn bailout and probably make a lot of money borrowing from the Fed at 0% or selling their bonds.

That scam would end under Rand Paul and your dad might not have a job.

They would have to do something productive and useful.

AuH20
03-16-2013, 05:26 PM
JPM got a $12bn bailout and probably make a lot of money borrowing from the Fed at 0% or selling their bonds.

That scam would end under Rand Paul and your dad might not have a job.

They would have to do something productive and useful.

He's not in finance. He's a facilities manager.

itshappening
03-16-2013, 05:27 PM
Well that's ok.. He would probably survive their impending bankruptcy but the firm would be gutted nonetheless.

PatriotOne
03-16-2013, 05:34 PM

I never said they were but if you think Cruz's ties to Goldman Sach's and Bush are being paranoid I have to call you naive. Cruz needs a really good vetting as to his past activities.

V3n
03-16-2013, 05:34 PM
It's fun to celebrate this victory.. but don't lose sight of the enemy.. Remember 2011 when FOX outright lied and manipulated the video?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khPpnEXuEIE

They're going to spin this as a Rubio win..

AuH20
03-16-2013, 05:40 PM
I never said they were but if you think Cruz's ties to Goldman Sach's and Bush are being paranoid I have to call you naive. Cruz needs a really good vetting as to his past activities.

Trust but verify. Cruz could have taken the Rubio path if he had wanted but didn't. I think that says alot about him. He could have joined the gang of 8 to craft highly objectionable legislation. He could have ignored Rand Paul.

supermario21
03-16-2013, 05:46 PM
David "Axis of Evil" Frum chimes in...

davidfrum ‏@davidfrum
As CPAC goes, so goes the New Hampshire straw poll. http://2012newhampshireprimary.com/ron-paul-wins-latest-hampshire-primary-straw-poll/ …

davidfrum ‏@davidfrum
If the voters refuse ham-and-eggs, it's because they want double ham and double eggs.

TokenLibertarianGuy
03-16-2013, 05:51 PM
I'm celebrating this win with a bunch of freshly baked oatmeal cookies and glass of milk :) I might even make it a chocolate milk if I feel naughty later tonight hehe ;)

Christopholes11
03-16-2013, 06:06 PM
Congrats to Rand. Hopefully this is a good sign for the liberty movement, and a sign the Republican Party will distance itself from neo-cons moving forward.

Bastiat's The Law
03-16-2013, 06:22 PM
He'll be a great asset in 2015/16.
Yes he will. Paul supporters that backed him were planning ahead.

Bastiat's The Law
03-16-2013, 06:28 PM
Amash is a congressman which is less of a headache for the establishment. They have hundreds of those so can afford to let one who isn't completely bought off through. There's about 5 who aren't!

The senate is the big prize though and with 2 exceptions they're all bought off and it's no accident they're there.
You're digging a sinkhole of crazy now.

itshappening
03-16-2013, 06:30 PM
No, i'm not. The senate is horrible. They're all bought off with 2 exceptions. Unless Cruz or any other newcomer can prove otherwise.

The House has about 5 people in it who won't vote for big spending and bailouts when push comes to shove. That's out of 435.

The whole Senate votes for spending and bailouts every week.

Total scam.

itshappening
03-16-2013, 06:37 PM
Bearing in mind the House has about 5 actual principled people in it, they really could care less about Amash or Ron Paul. They have enough votes to crush them. Amash got thrown off the Budget committee for being rogue and is therefore safely isolated. The committee can safely ram through big spending budgets no problems now that's dealt with.

Do you know how hard it is to get to the House? Most of them are big insiders. They're not there to represent you, they're there for the lobbyists and their friends who fund their campaigns and their DC cocktail party lifestyle.

The Senate is even worse. They vote for spending, bailouts and war non stop. Only Rand opposes foreign aid to Israel and war resolutions against Iran. Mike Lee isn't completely bought off because he managed to engineer a win at a nominating convention in a state that is safe Republican but even he will succumb if he wants to progress into leadership. The rest are corrupt insiders.

Bastiat's The Law
03-16-2013, 06:39 PM
Originally Posted by itshappening View Post
Tom Woods has a degree from Harvard.

TaftFan
03-16-2013, 06:43 PM
Edwin Vieira Jr. has 4 degrees from Harvard, lol.

LatinsforPaul
03-16-2013, 06:43 PM

Agree. Just like not everyone who works for the Federal Government (i.e. TSA, Homeland Security) is a villain and or a traitor to their country.

alucard13mmfmj
03-16-2013, 06:44 PM
seems theres lot of haters on media sites that say Rand won.. Seems a large portion of people will never learn and re-elect the same doucebag politicians that will fleece this country dry.

itshappening
03-16-2013, 06:45 PM

So why hasn't Ted wrote 10 books and become a celebrated author? Why did he spend 8 long years grinding it out as a solicitor general? Because his career path is planned and his wife is a rich banker so he could afford to. She'll get even richer now with a senator as a husband and will be able to attend some flashy parties with the president.

Makes me laugh that people think they do this for you or the 'conservative cause'. They don't.

TaftFan
03-16-2013, 06:52 PM
So why hasn't Ted wrote 10 books and become a celebrated author? Why did he spend 8 long years grinding it out as a solicitor general? Because his career path is planned and his wife is a rich banker so he could afford to. She'll get even richer now with a senator as a husband and will be able to attend some flashy parties with the president.

Makes me laugh that people think they do this for you or the 'conservative cause'. They don't.

You are really a simpleton.

You see, not everybody follows the career path you want them to. Or anybody else for that matter.

Some might prefer being a book writer. Others, who get degree in LAW, might want to become as accomplished as a solicitor general of a state rather than an assistant district attorney of small town USA. And what do you know, it led Cruz, somebody passionate about politics, to become a U.S. Senator.

Some banking conspiracies are best left for Occupy Wall Street and youtube videos, and out of the liberty movement.

You see the world in conspiracy. Just as you said the Fair Tax is a conspiracy to create a VAT combined with an income tax.

Problem is, these are just imaginary situations bouncing around in your head.

itshappening
03-16-2013, 06:56 PM
You are really a simpleton.

You see, not everybody follows the career path you want them to. Or anybody else for that matter.

Some might prefer being a book writer. Others, who get degree in LAW, might want to become as accomplished as a solicitor general of a state rather than an assistant district attorney of small town USA. And what do you know, it led Cruz, somebody passionate about politics, to become a U.S. Senator.

Some banking conspiracies are best left for Occupy Wall Street and youtube videos, and out of the liberty movement.

Someone like Ted Cruz who could make millions in the private sector just doesn't dedicate himself to become a solicitor general or work for the Bush campaign. He obviously plotted this for a while and used his appointed position as a stepping stone. Who appointed him? Gov. Perry who would have vetted him heavily before appointing him to that position like all the appointed positions in corrupt Texas politics. His wife is a rich banker with ties to Condi Rice so he could afford to do exactly what he's done rather than make his millions.

Now he's in the US Senate and sounds just like Rand Paul.

If you can't buy off Rand Paul send someone who sounds just like him and hype the crap out of him to steal his thunder.

If you dont think this is what they're doing - or could be doing - you're very naive.

TaftFan
03-16-2013, 06:59 PM
Someone like Ted Cruz who could make millions in the private sector just doesn't dedicate himself to become a solicitor general or work for the Bush campaign. He obviously plotted this for a while and used his appointed position as a stepping stone. Who appointed him? Gov. Perry who would have vetted him heavily before appointing him to that position like all the appointed positions in corrupt Texas politics. His wife is a rich banker with ties to Condi Rice so he could afford to do exactly what he's done rather than make his millions.

Now he's in the US Senate and sounds just like Rand Paul.

If you can't buy off Rand Paul send someone who sounds just like him and hype the crap out of him to steal his thunder.

If you dont think this is what they're doing - or could be doing - you're very naive.

And Perry and Bush hate each other.

And Perry ran with Dewhurst.

Reality doesn't have to fit your narrative. But I can't stop you from dealing in hypothetical I guess.

rockandrollsouls
03-16-2013, 07:00 PM
And you have this immense insider information based on...what now?

No doubt, there are insiders that push for their buddies. However, a lot of these people in the house are simply idiots that either a) say what the people want to hear b) don't truly understand the Constitution or their role or c) Are well intentioned but just go about it the wrong way by promoting damaging policies or ideas detrimental to freedom or the Constitution.

For example, there are plenty of democrats in the house that truly believe they are helping people by trying to put stricter restrictions on firearms. They really do believe they are helping people, even though we know they aren't for a number of reasons (at the same time they are undermining the constitution.) Most of the time, it's not purposeful.

Anyway, moral of the story is you need to get off your high horse and quit acting like you know how it really is in the house. You don't. I know a few elected officials. They are incredibly nice and well intentioned individuals, though we differ in our political viewpoints and approaches.

DC cocktail party my ass. Even if you're a scrub it's no easy job. Even crooked, evil Obama looks 20 years older after he took office.

Bearing in mind the House has about 5 actual principled people in it, they really could care less about Amash or Ron Paul. They have enough votes to crush them. Amash got thrown off the Budget committee for being rogue and is therefore safely isolated. The committee can safely ram through big spending budgets no problems now that's dealt with.

Do you know how hard it is to get to the House? Most of them are big insiders. They're not there to represent you, they're there for the lobbyists and their friends who fund their campaigns and their DC cocktail party lifestyle.

The Senate is even worse. They vote for spending, bailouts and war non stop. Only Rand opposes foreign aid to Israel and war resolutions against Iran. Mike Lee isn't completely bought off because he managed to engineer a win at a nominating convention in a state that is safe Republican but even he will succumb if he wants to progress into leadership. The rest are corrupt insiders.

itshappening
03-16-2013, 07:00 PM
And Perry and Bush hate each other.

And Perry ran with Dewhurst.

Reality doesn't have to fit your narrative. But I can't stop you from dealing in hypothetical I guess.

That's all for show. They're buddies and share many of the same donors. He was his Lt. Gov for years and took over from him!

rockandrollsouls
03-16-2013, 07:06 PM
I've never heard a neocon speak with such knowledge of the Constitution as Cruz does. Understanding liberty, freedom, and our supreme law is not something you can fake. I hear it in his voice. Plus, I support Rand and Ron's judgment.

But then again, the bulk of people here were flaming me when Rand was playing politics and I told you all he was just being smart and setting himself up by delivering the message in a way people could understand. I was hearing things like Rand's not like his father, he sold out, etc etc. Looks like most of those people ate their words, and they'll eat their words with Ted Cruz as well.

Trust but verify. Cruz could have taken the Rubio path if he had wanted but didn't. I think that says alot about him. He could have joined the gang of 8 to craft highly objectionable legislation. He could have ignored Rand Paul.

itshappening
03-16-2013, 07:08 PM
I've never heard a neocon speak with such knowledge of the Constitution as Cruz does. Understanding liberty, freedom, and our supreme law is not something you can fake. I hear it in his voice. Plus, I support Rand and Ron's judgment.

But then again, the bulk of people here were flaming me when Rand was playing politics and I told you all he was just being smart and setting himself up by delivering the message in a way people could understand. I was hearing things like Rand's not like his father, he sold out, etc etc. Looks like most of those people ate their words, and they'll eat their words with Ted Cruz as well.

Cruz sounds good but so did Bush in 99. People have short memories.

Bush even spent 8 years compiling the best conservative record as a governor in the nation but when he got to the White House it was a different, sorry story.

eleganz
03-16-2013, 07:12 PM
Ted Cruz is a damn good wing-man. He dedicated a huge portion of his CPAC keynote to praising Rand.

rockandrollsouls
03-16-2013, 07:12 PM
Wrong. Not only has Rand wooed nearly everyone in the establishment, including the talking heads in the mainstream media, there's already word of Rubio's climbing star falling back to earth.

This is the reason we lost time and time again with Ron (not discrediting everything he did for this movement, however.) You seem to have the preconceived notion that liberty and holding to the Constitution is unpopular, regardless of who delivers the message, and that the messenger is bound to be discredited.

Wrong.

Ron made so many enemies because he had a different approach than Rand. Ron, like it or not, preached. He talked down as if he was the standard bearer telling you how it was supposed to be. Rand delivers the message in a way even morons can understand. It's the difference, and it's why Rand is already gaining far more popularity than Ron in such a short period of time.

It's called politics for a reason. Even the panel at CPAC reminded everyone that Rand was able to wow everyone on his Israel trip without giving an INCH on principle. That, my friends, is how it's done. He's got a formula, he's got Ted Cruz and other senators in on it, and he's going to ride it all the way to the White House.

Now, for another prediction all of you will probably "boo" and then agree with me on, again, once it happens; you're going to see at least one other liberty minded individual run along side Rand for the nomination, if only to further push his narrative, drop out, and throw his weight and support behind him to push the others out of the race.

Everything Rand's doing, the coalition's he's building, is carefully calculated and incredibly deliberate. So shame on all the naysayers, especially those that doubted Rand, myself, and others for standing with him when he was first elected.

It's fun to celebrate this victory.. but don't lose sight of the enemy.. Remember 2011 when FOX outright lied and manipulated the video?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khPpnEXuEIE

They're going to spin this as a Rubio win..

fr33
03-16-2013, 07:14 PM

Bush even spent 8 years compiling the best conservative record as a governor in the nation but when he got to the White House it was a different, sorry story.

I'm right there with you in being a skeptic about Cruz but since his rhetoric lately has improved, why don't we wait and see what type of voting record he racks up...

rockandrollsouls
03-16-2013, 07:15 PM
You're clearly not old enough or you haven't been around long enough to compare both speakers. Show me one Bush speech where he related any of his talking points to the Constitution or its amendments. YOU CAN'T. That's the difference.

Bush was the guy who said the things people wanted to hear. It was easy to see through him. At least I did. You can TELL Cruz has a thorough understanding of the Constitution. Did you not watch him speak OFF THE CUFF with Rand? When did you ever see Bush speak with such knowledge?

You CAN'T fake understanding. That's why Cruz can speak to you without teleprompters, coaches, and an advising team...

itshappening
03-16-2013, 07:16 PM
Ted Cruz is a damn good wing-man. He dedicated a huge portion of his CPAC keynote to praising Rand.

Yeah I hope i'm wrong but we'll see.

The good news is Rand has 2 years on him and if Cruz gets any ideas he has to beat us in Iowa/NH, it's virtually unheard of to build a national campaign in such a short period and yes I know Obama did it but in the GOP it's harder.

itshappening
03-16-2013, 07:18 PM
You're clearly not old enough or you haven't been around long enough to compare both speakers. Show me one Bush speech where he related any of his talking points to the Constitution or its amendments. YOU CAN'T. That's the difference.

Bush was the guy who said the things people wanted to hear. It was easy to see through him. At least I did. You can TELL Cruz has a thorough understanding of the Constitution. Did you not watch him speak OFF THE CUFF with Rand? When did you ever see Bush speak with such knowledge?

You CAN'T fake understanding. That's why Cruz can speak to you without teleprompters, coaches, and an advising team...

Cruz is extremely smart and is a constitutional lawyer so i'd expect him to be able to talk about the constitution for hours and hours. It's in vogue and he'll keep talking about it. Doesn't mean he'll follow it when push comes to shove or when he's the deciding vote to bail out his wifes bank.

rockandrollsouls
03-16-2013, 07:23 PM
And Obama lectured on Constitutional Law but there's a stark difference on the individual that understands how and why the founders framed it the way they did and the other that doesn't understand the document at all...

Cruz is extremely smart and is a constitutional lawyer so i'd expect him to be able to talk about the constitution for hours and hours. It's in vogue and he'll keep talking about it. Doesn't mean he'll follow it when push comes to shove or when he's the deciding vote to bail out his wifes bank.

itshappening
03-16-2013, 07:25 PM
And Obama lectured on Constitutional Law but there's a stark difference on the individual that understands how and why the founders framed it the way they did and the other that doesn't understand the document at all...

Yeah, Obama sounded great on civil liberties too and now look at him. He also plotted his career carefully.

What a politician does and says are often different things. I've seen it dozens of times. Don't get taken in.

Rand is much more trustworthy since he was an MD and had no idea he was going to be a senator. It was a set of events you will not see repeated often, if at all.

Cruz is trying to paint himself as an imitation of Rand but we know from his background he was always headed for the Senate either after KBH or Cornyn had gone or ran for governor or whatever.

rockandrollsouls
03-16-2013, 07:41 PM
No, he didn't sound great on civil liberties. But that may be what distinguishes the sheep from those that can see through the liars. I could tell whenever Obama spoke he was full of shit. I guess you, not so much?

Yeah, Obama sounded great on civil liberties too and now look at him. He also plotted his career carefully.

What a politician does and says are often different things. I've seen it dozens of times. Don't get taken in.

Rand is much more trustworthy since he was an MD and had no idea he was going to be a senator. It was a set of events you will not see repeated often, if at all.

Cruz is trying to paint himself as an imitation of Rand but we know from his background he was always headed for the Senate either after KBH or Cornyn had gone or ran for governor or whatever.

PatriotOne
03-16-2013, 07:42 PM
Anyone monitoring Fox News tonight? I saw the ticker tape running on Huckabee's show. Said something like:

Rand Paul narrowly wins CPAC straw poll. A mainly symbolic poll. Rubio was narrowly defeated and has signaled his desire to run for President in 2016.

Something like that.

itshappening
03-16-2013, 08:08 PM
No, he didn't sound great on civil liberties. But that may be what distinguishes the sheep from those that can see through the liars. I could tell whenever Obama spoke he was full of shit. I guess you, not so much?

Politicians are generally full of shit. Cruz speaks well but lets not kid ourselves he's been planning this for a while. So therefore treat with caution.

itshappening
03-16-2013, 08:09 PM
I see in Texas they're putting George P. Bush on the career path. He has to actually run for his office unlike Ted. A minor inconvenience though.

Maybe he's after Cornyn's seat. I don't believe he wants to be Land Commissioner forever.

See how these things are plotted? Of course, he's a selfless public servant....

LibertyEagle
03-16-2013, 08:14 PM
I'm sure he doesn't support cutting off aid to Israel. You have to understand how controversial that is, particularly in the Republican Party. I think Rand is the only politician in Washington DC who supports ending all foreign aid, including to Israel.

I do understand it, but I also think he could at least keep his mouth shut about "standing with Israel", or make it clear that that is his stance on a personal level. Where in the Constitution does it say that our tax dollars should be used to fund another country and to fight its wars? If Senator Cruz wants to empty out his bank account and send it all to Israel, or to even go over there and ride one of their missiles, he is free to do so. But, he does not have the right as a Senator to further bankrupt our country's treasure by funding a foreign country with our tax dollars, nor endanger our national defense by entwining our country's affairs with another.

Brett85
03-16-2013, 08:14 PM
The bottom line is that Cruz is someone who we're going to agree with almost 100% of the time on domestic issues, but only agree with about 50% of the time on foreign policy issues. Some foreign policy issues we can agree with him on like cutting foreign aid, getting out of Afghanistan, opposing the United Nations. But, I think he's still pretty hawkish on Iran and not really an opponent of preemptive war. He seems to basically be a carbon copy of Mike Lee.

LibertyEagle
03-16-2013, 08:16 PM
The bottom line is that Cruz is someone who we're going to agree with almost 100% of the time on domestic issues, but only agree with about 50% of the time on foreign policy issues. Some foreign policy issues we can agree with him on like cutting foreign aid, getting out of Afghanistan, opposing the United Nations. But, I think he's still pretty hawkish on Iran and not really an opponent of preemptive war. He seems to basically be a carbon copy of Mike Lee.

That is my concern. But, when I call his office (he is my Senator), they tell me that he is not for a preemptive war on Iran, nor was he for attacking Libya.

I do agree that we aren't going to agree with him on everything and that is ok with me.

Brett85
03-16-2013, 08:17 PM
I do understand it, but I also think he could at least keep his mouth shut about "standing with Israel", or make it clear that that is his stance on a personal level. Where in the Constitution does it say that our tax dollars should be used to fund another country and to fight its wars? If Senator Cruz wants to empty out his bank account and send it all to Israel, or to even go over there and ride one of their missiles, he is free to do so. But, he does not have the right to further bankrupt our country by funding a foreign country, nor endanger our national defense by entwining our country's affairs with another.

I agree with you, but I'm just saying that I'm not expecting Cruz to be a clone of Ron Paul who shares all of Ron's positions. Even Rand has kind of walked back his original comments on ending all foreign aid, saying now that we should only phase out foreign aid to Israel over time after ending foreign aid to all of the other countries first.

Brett85
03-16-2013, 08:17 PM
That is my concern. But, when I call his office (he is my Senator), they tell me that he is not for a preemptive war on Iran.

That's interesting. I hope they're telling the truth.

LibertyEagle
03-16-2013, 08:19 PM
I agree with you, but I'm just saying that I'm not expecting Cruz to be a clone of Ron Paul who shares all of Ron's positions. Even Rand has kind of walked back his original comments on ending all foreign aid, saying now that we should only phase out foreign aid to Israel over time after ending foreign aid to all of the other countries first.

Nah, not really. He tried the head-on approach and failed, so now he is running around them. Both will end up in the same place.

itshappening
03-16-2013, 08:19 PM

Rand has not walked it back, he's making it sound more acceptable.

He told them in Israel that their foreign aid will end because America is broke.

Cruz went to Israel and kissed their butt.

Big difference...

LibertyEagle
03-16-2013, 08:22 PM
That's interesting. I hope they're telling the truth.

I think that is what they believe. Time will tell about Cruz. I don't trust him though. But, then again, I don't trust much of anyone. What I trust are principles and ideals. The strategy to achieve them may vary among individuals and I accept that. But, I will never take my eye off the prize.

Brett85
03-16-2013, 08:25 PM
I think that is what they believe. Time will tell about Cruz. I don't trust him though. But, then again, I don't trust much of anyone. What I trust are principles and ideals. The strategy to achieve them may vary among individuals and I accept that. But, I will never take my eye off the prize.

Hopefully Rand will convince Cruz to come in his direction on foreign policy issues like he did with Demint.

Jordan Liberty
03-16-2013, 08:38 PM
I know it's just a straw poll but those results trouble me. What those people see in Rubio is beyond me.

Brett85
03-16-2013, 08:43 PM
I know it's just a straw poll but those results trouble me. What those people see in Rubio is beyond me.

Yeah, I really thought Rand would win in a blowout when 52% of the poll's participants were 18-25.

itshappening
03-16-2013, 08:43 PM

These people adored Mittens and loved Bush. A lot of them did anyway.

They tend to be wealthy young Republicans at Ivy league colleges and from families who benefited from the contracts Bush was handing out when he was in office.

So it's no surprise to me.

Rubio is offering them a continuation of the scams and Rand is a threat to it.

Sayzak
03-16-2013, 08:59 PM
Just as a talking point ...
If people say it was essentially a tie between Paul and Rubio than, using the same logic, it was essentially a tie between Santorum and [Ron] Paul as well.

Also, I haven't seen the actual vote counts ...
Who wins if you put Santorum and Rubio on one team and the Pauls on the other? Just curious.

Depends on who owns the website / poll.

rockandrollsouls
03-16-2013, 09:03 PM
Rand has said, numerous times, we should "stand with Israel" as well. I would wager the only reason both of them say that is to disarm the neocons and zionists. If you say you stand with Israel, how can they say you don't? And both have stated their "support of Israel" involves letting Israel make it's own decisions. All semantics.

georgiaboy
03-17-2013, 07:13 AM
What an incredible milestone this is. Hooray for the day. The tide is absolutely, unequivocally, turning. We will have our smaller government. We will have our liberty, peace, and prosperity, in my lifetime.

rp08orbust
03-17-2013, 07:22 AM
Where are people finding references to 6% for RON Paul?

speciallyblend
03-17-2013, 07:28 AM
Where are people finding references to 6% for RON Paul?

the same folks that voted for romney thinking ron paul was the vp, they are confusing paul ryan for ron paul literally!

Tunink
03-17-2013, 07:31 AM
Yeah, I really thought Rand would win in a blowout when 52% of the poll's participants were 18-25.

Why so they can run to the MSM and claim the same thing they did with Ron? A victory like this is excellent and gives the poll a little more credibility IMO.

FriedChicken
03-17-2013, 07:55 AM
Depends on who owns the website / poll.

By the way - what I said was completely false. I looked over the results ... I had been told that Ron Paul got 6% ... he didn't. Paul Ryan did.

FriedChicken
03-17-2013, 08:01 AM
Why so they can run to the MSM and claim the same thing they did with Ron? A victory like this is excellent and gives the poll a little more credibility IMO.

Thats a pretty good point.

The issue question results were very encouraging that the party is now heading in the right direction as well. And regardless of what Rubio REALLY is, he REPRESENTS the "new GOP" and is considered almost the same as Rand. Unlike with Ron ... (where any non-supporter were apposed to him and had him as their last choice) Rand Paul is probably most of these people's second choice if it looks like Rubio won't win/run.

The over all talking point from the pundits on the CPAC will be that the "new GOP" has arrived.

... wow, I can't believe we did it. We all new a "New GOP" was coming - but I'm glad they've accepted that they'll have to follow our lead - I was worried it would all be based on appeal to Hispanics and women (I don't have a problem with either group btw) instead of Liberty in general.

FriedChicken
03-17-2013, 08:03 AM
This also shows that liberty is popular with the youth - not just people who might be branded as "one candidate republicans" (Ron Paul supporters).

It was obvious that the youth supported liberty and freedom ... I think Rand will communicate that position better than Rubio.

Slutter McGee
03-17-2013, 10:28 AM
Politicians are generally full of shit. Cruz speaks well but lets not kid ourselves he's been planning this for a while. So therefore treat with caution.

I don't see it bud. Cruz's name recognition was damn near zero here in Texas. Had it not been for the teaparty he wouldn't have had a chance. Maybe he had been planning it, but he wasn't on the typical career politician path here in Texas.

That said, you may end up being right. Just too early to tell. He has earned my trust for now. Doesn't mean I wont remove that trust.

Slutter McGee

itshappening
03-17-2013, 10:51 AM
I don't see it bud. Cruz's name recognition was damn near zero here in Texas. Had it not been for the teaparty he wouldn't have had a chance. Maybe he had been planning it, but he wasn't on the typical career politician path here in Texas.

That said, you may end up being right. Just too early to tell. He has earned my trust for now. Doesn't mean I wont remove that trust.

Slutter McGee

People with Harvard degree's don't become solicitor general's of their state and grind it out for a relative pittance over 8 years. He always had an eye on higher office whether it was KBH, Cornyn or running for governor or something.

Just like George P. Bush doesn't want to really be a Land Commissioner but he knows he has to wait his turn, use it as a stepping stone and then wait for an opportunity to run for something better.

These people can make millions in the private sector. They're not selfless public servants by any stretch of the imagination.

thoughtomator
03-17-2013, 10:56 AM
These people can make millions in the private sector. They're not selfless public servants by any stretch of the imagination.

You might be surprised at how the net worth of public officials magically skyrockets when they take office.

itshappening
03-17-2013, 11:01 AM
You might be surprised at how the net worth of public officials magically skyrockets when they take office.

His wife is already a rich banker. That's how he was able to spend the last 8 years in public office. Otherwise he would have been doing something else and making a comfortable living.

I am sure Goldman's can rely on Ted and his influence to help them out (like they need it!).

itshappening
03-17-2013, 11:08 AM
I honestly think Cruz kept his options open and wanted to probably be a judge or a senator. I don't believe he wanted to argue cases at the Supreme Court the rest of his life. That's pretty boring. As for the Senate he knew KBH or Cornyn would retire eventually and lets face it Dewhurst is not a very inspiring candidate so he always had a shot even though it looked bleak at the outset. He was pretty well connected and was able to land endorsements and raise millions. Not many people are capable of doing that and it was no random act. It didn't happen by chance. He didn't just say "i want to run for the Senate so i'm going to raise $10 million". This was plotted carefully and he probably knew he had a chance.

J_White
03-18-2013, 01:09 AM
Edit: added video starting at Rand's Win
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=MVgL5bVcFl4#t=720s

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=MVgL5bVcFl4#t=720s

With 25%
To Rubio's 23%

its depressing to see 23% votes go to another fluffy establishment candidate.
when will the GOP learn their lesson ? two Presidential election defeats are not enough ? they are willing to try another fake conservative candidate ?!

Pisces
03-18-2013, 02:21 AM
People with Harvard degree's don't become solicitor general's of their state and grind it out for a relative pittance over 8 years. He always had an eye on higher office whether it was KBH, Cornyn or running for governor or something.

Just like George P. Bush doesn't want to really be a Land Commissioner but he knows he has to wait his turn, use it as a stepping stone and then wait for an opportunity to run for something better.

Cruz did work in the private sector after his stint as solicitor general. He was head of the appellate division of a large law firm. He must have been bored with it because his first idea was to run for attorney general. However, the current attorney general decided not to step down so he gave that up.

You really have a lot to learn about Texas politics. Perry didn't hire Cruz, Greg Abbott, the attorney general, did. His belief in the Constitution comes across as very heartfelt. As for the Israel love, I'm guessing it is religious in nature. His father is a Baptist preacher. Baptists in Texas are very pro-Israel.