PDA

View Full Version : UT - Woman reports burglary, cops show up and shoot her dog.

Anti Federalist
03-16-2013, 10:21 AM
Homeowner Reports Burglary, Police Shoot Her Dog

March 15, 2013

http://reason.com/24-7/2013/03/15/homeowner-reports-burglary-police-shoot

The most recent case occurred late Friday night when Michelle Merila called police to her home at 597 7th Street, reporting a burglary in progress.

When police arrived they didn’t find a suspect but instead found Merila out front with her two bulldogs and a German shepherd named “Jesse.”

“The officer indicated the two dogs on the porch did not indicate they were going to attack but the other dog, he actually gave voice commands to and told it to get back on the porch,” said Ogden Deputy Director John Harvey. “The dog turned around, went a few steps then turned back to him and ultimately attacked and the officer defended himself.”

Merila tells a different story.

“The cop was standing there and he says ‘get your dog or I’m gonna shoot her’ and and as I’m walking up ‘boom, boom’ he shot the dog, didn’t have any reason, the dog wasn’t going after him anymore, she had stopped,” Merila said.

phill4paul
03-16-2013, 10:25 AM
“The cop was standing there and he says ‘get your dog or I’m gonna shoot her’ and and as I’m walking up ‘boom, boom’ he shot the dog, didn’t have any reason, the dog wasn’t going after him anymore, she had stopped,” Merila said.

Didn't need any. But, "officer safety" will be enough reason if you make a case of it, mundane.

Dr.3D
03-16-2013, 10:28 AM
Didn't need any. But, "officer safety" will be enough reason if you make a case of it, mundane.
I have to wonder how safe the officer will be, when the dog owner finally loses their temper shoots back.

Anti Federalist
03-16-2013, 10:29 AM

Well stated comrade.

I was going to post this story when it first was reported, but the system I was using would not load the web page.

phill4paul
03-16-2013, 10:36 AM
I have to wonder how safe the officer will be, when the dog owner finally loses their temper shoots back.

Kinda like them sticking their head in through a doorway without a warrant.

belian78
03-16-2013, 12:13 PM
As an owner of a pit mix, anyone firing on my dog will have return fire.

presence
03-16-2013, 12:21 PM

Black Lab Down? I go Black Hawk Down.

FSP-Rebel
03-16-2013, 12:23 PM
If I had a dog, I wouldn't be willing to die for it. Instead, how about caging the dog when the police are around. Quite frankly, if these American boobs have no idea how the police can be and mostly not your friend, then they benefit negatively for their ignorance.

Dr.3D
03-16-2013, 12:26 PM
If I had a dog, I wouldn't be willing to die for it. Instead, how about caging the dog when the police are around. Quite frankly, if these American boobs have no idea how the police can be and mostly not your friend, then they benefit negatively for their ignorance.
Yeah, just have the cops call us and tell us when they are going to be around so we can get our dogs out of the way.

Sure, this woman called the cops and should have hidden her dogs before they showed up.

MoneyWhereMyMouthIs2
03-16-2013, 12:26 PM

I don't think it will be a temper loss situation. Dogs are family to many people. Cops might think they can walk up in peoples' yards firing willy nilly, but they're gonna find the wrong yard before long. With the sheer volume of this shit, I'm shocked they haven't already.

Now... it could be that these pussies evaluate their risks before firing on dogs. Is the dog alone? Is the owner a little old lady? A girl? Or is the owner sporting a military haircut with a bulge on his waistband?

phill4paul
03-16-2013, 12:27 PM

You wouldn't be willing to die to protect your property? If you owned a herd of goats, and made a living off cheese, and cops got it in their heads to just shoot would you, then, be willing to die?

MoneyWhereMyMouthIs2
03-16-2013, 12:28 PM

If someone has the balls to shoot your dog in front of you, it's reasonable to assume you're next. So you might not be willing to die for the dog, but you are likely facing a deadly threat at that point, and the threat is coming from someone who just showed you they'll use their firearm.

Henry Rogue
03-16-2013, 12:46 PM
If I had a dog, I wouldn't be willing to die for it. Instead, how about caging the dog when the police are around. Quite frankly, if these American boobs have no idea how the police can be and mostly not your friend, then they benefit negatively for their ignorance.They are ignorant, because they don't read Ron Paul Forums. I didn't know cops were shooting dogs for entertainment, before I found RPF. MSM has failed to notify the masses.

Anti Federalist
03-16-2013, 12:54 PM
They are ignorant, because they don't read Ron Paul Forums. I didn't know cops were shooting dogs for entertainment, before I found RPF. MSM has failed to notify the masses.

Not entertainment, Mundane, "Officer Safety".

belian78
03-16-2013, 01:05 PM
Well I can't speak for anyone else, but I would not be one to call the cops to my property for any reason. So if they come onto my property, without me knowing, there's no reason for my dog to be kenneled. Anyone else that would be welcome to come on my property, would already be known to my dog and be completely safe in doing so.

Lucille
03-16-2013, 04:13 PM
Ogden Police are now investigating whether that shooting was justified but the department’s internal review board exonerated an officer who shot Dan Marocchi’s German Shephard “Max” last week.

“When you have police investigating police, give me a break, cmon, what’s gonna happen?,” said Marocchi.

She knows how it works. It's played out over and over and over again.

Police officers are not required to carry tasers. That’s optional and requires training. Meanwhile, the state’s Fraternal Order of Police says there is no statewide law or policy instructing police on how to deal with pets. It’s a case-by-case basis and depends on whether the officer perceives a threat.

Training is hard. So is setting a policy mandating that police stop killing family pets as their first response.

Police say the best way to avoid conflict with a dog is to secure your animal in another room before answering the door and talking with investigators.

New Rules: If you know the cops are coming over, hide the dogs, or they'll likely end up dead. In addition, if there's a knock on the door, hide the dogs, because it might be a cop and they'll likely end up dead.

bolil
03-16-2013, 04:19 PM
They are ignorant, because they don't read Ron Paul Forums. I didn't know cops were shooting dogs for entertainment, before I found RPF. MSM has failed to notify the masses.

this.

kcchiefs6465
03-16-2013, 04:38 PM
Well I can't speak for anyone else, but I would not be one to call the cops to my property for any reason. So if they come onto my property, without me knowing, there's no reason for my dog to be kenneled. Anyone else that would be welcome to come on my property, would already be known to my dog and be completely safe in doing so.
Which is precisely when a lot of these dog shootings happen. Cops show up to the wrong house etc.

tod evans
03-16-2013, 05:27 PM

For most normal members of society a dog is a member of the family.

DamianTV
03-16-2013, 06:27 PM
Do NOT Talk To Cops.

They are NOT there to protect you, or your dogs.

TheTexan
03-16-2013, 06:36 PM
I'm just waiting for a "Woman calls 911 to report a cop shot her dog, then cops arrive and shoot her other dog"

KCIndy
03-16-2013, 07:06 PM
“The officer indicated the two dogs on the porch did not indicate they were going to attack but the other dog, he actually gave voice commands to and told it to get back on the porch,” said Ogden Deputy Director John Harvey.

Gaah!! I think Mr. Harvey just won the 'Tortured Sentence of the Year' Award.

Anti Federalist
03-16-2013, 07:24 PM
I'm just waiting for a "Woman calls 911 to report a cop shot her dog, then cops arrive and shoot her other dog"

Oh god...

Occam's Banana
03-16-2013, 09:23 PM
Gaah!! I think Mr. Harvey just won the 'Tortured Sentence of the Year' Award.

Here's last year's winner (in the "cop shoots dog" category):

"And so the officer unfortunately in a matter of seconds, you don't have time to determine whether or not this animal was coming to play with you, but it's my understanding that the animal was not coming up purring or that the animal was coming snarling towards them and the officer did not have an opportunity to gage the friendliness of the animal."

(And here's my attempt to parse Rhodes' verbiage: http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?389052-SC-Cop-shoots-family-dog-for-well-no-reason-really&p=4634274&viewfull=1#post4634274 )

presence
03-21-2013, 08:15 PM
http://marylandshooter.com/ar15/Funny/ani_belly-bump.gif