PDA

View Full Version : RedState: Only 3 Conservative Reps Opposed Both Spending Bills

Jeremy
03-16-2013, 08:07 AM
"The House GOP Gets an F this Week for Cutting Spending! Only 3 Conservative Representatives Opposed Both Spending Bills (Amash, Massie, and Bridenstine)."

http://www.redstate.com/spoasteph97/2013/03/15/the-house-gop-gets-an-f-this-week-for-cutting-spending/

Sola_Fide
03-16-2013, 08:41 AM
Thank you Thomas! Mr. NO!

Kotin
03-16-2013, 08:46 AM
Thomas Massie and Justin Amash are so good.. love those guys!

TokenLibertarianGuy
03-16-2013, 08:57 AM
Bentivolio has been such a disappointment.

compromise
03-16-2013, 09:08 AM
Bentivolio has been such a disappointment.

These were tough votes. It's not like he's the only legislator regarded to be a fiscal conservative who voted the wrong way on these. Mick Mulvaney, Trey Gowdy, Jeff Duncan, Jimmy Duncan, Tom McClintock, Raul Labrador, Tim Huelskamp, Dana Rohrabacher, David Schweikert, etc, all generally thought of us our allies in the House joined him. I don't know why everyone likes to pick on Bentivolio in particular.

Spoa
03-16-2013, 09:12 AM
Thank you for posting my write-up! I agree that these votes were tough ones and I don't think anyone who voted for them should be blasted.

I just want conservatives to know that there were conservative reasons for opposing these bills. :)

Next week's vote on the CR will be really telling on who are true conservatives and who aren't. But thanks to the three heroes of the week: Reps. Amash, Massie, and Bridenstine!

Spoa
03-16-2013, 09:13 AM
Please tweet/facebook/spread the news my write-up to let all conservatives know what happened this week. I don't want conservatives thinking that good leaders like Amash, Massie, Bridenstine, etc are somehow liberals for voting against these "nice-sounding" bills.

Sola_Fide
03-16-2013, 09:14 AM
Tell me about Bridenstine.

Uriah
03-16-2013, 09:23 AM
These were tough votes. It's not like he's the only legislator regarded to be a fiscal conservative who voted the wrong way on these. Mick Mulvaney, Trey Gowdy, Jeff Duncan, Jimmy Duncan, Tom McClintock, Raul Labrador, Tim Huelskamp, Dana Rohrabacher, David Schweikert, etc, all generally thought of us our allies in the House joined him. I don't know why everyone likes to pick on Bentivolio in particular.

Because many supported him in one way or another with time, money, or skills. Many were led to believe he was the next Ron Paul. Whether that was intentional or 'ignorant bliss' is being debated.

belian78
03-16-2013, 09:27 AM
Those must not be too big of movers and shakers as I've been on these boards from the inception and have never heard of a one of em.

itshappening
03-16-2013, 09:46 AM
Birdenstine has been on Mark Levin twice (since i monitor that show). He was an air force pilot and he beat an incumbent Republican. He's terrific.

No idea on his foreign policy view though and whether he believes in spending big money on the Pentagon and cutting it everywhere else.

talkingpointes
03-16-2013, 09:47 AM

Dude those ARE YOUR ALLIES!

Spoa
03-16-2013, 09:53 AM

Thank you. I agree that these were tough votes. Jimmy Duncan was a strong leader against the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan. Tom McClintock and Raul Labrador fought against the NDAA and David Schweikert opposed the Patriot Act. Schweikert and Huelskamp were kicked off committees for voting against leadership. And the rest of them are strong fiscal conservatives, many of them are Amash's closest allies in the House. For anybody here to say that they are not our allies, that is purism (which I am against).

I have always said: If you are with me 80% of the time, I look at you as an 80% ally...NOT a 20% enemy!

Spoa
03-16-2013, 09:54 AM
Birdenstine has been on Mark Levin twice (since i monitor that show). He was an air force pilot and he beat an incumbent Republican. He's terrific.

No idea on his foreign policy view though and whether he believes in spending big money on the Pentagon and cutting it everywhere else.

Thomas Massie called Bridenstine one of his closest friends in the interview that he did with Freedomworks a little while back.

Uriah
03-17-2013, 09:10 AM
Those must not be too big of movers and shakers as I've been on these boards from the inception and have never heard of a one of em.

Most of those names have been mentioned a bunch on these forums...

Slutter McGee
03-17-2013, 11:00 AM
Thomas Massie called Bridenstine one of his closest friends in the interview that he did with Freedomworks a little while back.

Not a libertarian. Just a genuine conservative honest guy who doesn't take crap from no one. That is what I have basically been told by a certain person in government.

Slutter McGee

acptulsa
03-17-2013, 12:09 PM
Not a libertarian. Just a genuine conservative honest guy who doesn't take crap from no one. That is what I have basically been told by a certain person in government.

Slutter McGee

Not a libertarian? Well, no, except (as this proves) he's a better libertarian than a lot of libertarians.

He beat the corporate tool Jim Sullivan in a Republican primary in a red state by, essentially, showing a real interest in serving We, the People. If I remember correctly, itshappening, he's not former Air Force, but a former Navy fighter pilot who served in Iraq. As you might expect with such a background, he doesn't see himself as a non-interventionist. That said, you mention to him that Israel's enemies get (in aggregate) more of our foreign aid than Israel does and he concedes that Israel might be better off if we eliminate all of it. Just don't ask him to cut Israel's aid first.

He actually had a focus group-style meeting between winning the election and taking office--when it could serve no purpose but to help him understand the concerns of his constituents--and the room was mostly filled with activist Republicans (otherwise known as libertarians). Many of our ideas were obviously new to him. Obviously, we planted seeds in his fertile mind which are growing into a nice harvest. He expressed some doubts that the Fed does more harm with its interventions than good, but listened with what was obviously an open mind, and grasped the issue as only an intelligent being can do. He obviously represents us, not the corporations, and shows considerable willingness to forsake the lobbyists and depend upon us to reelect him in spite of the threat of corporate money being used in the future to unseat him. And why not? Sullivan defended his seat with plenty of corporate money, and he primaried the snot out of him anyway.

When I left that meeting, I thought him a promising work in progress. But even though he made it clear to all of us that he will bend to no one's will without solid reasons, he is showing that he's a quick study, and that he has a good b.s. detector--and knows how to use it. I think he's one of the best of the bunch, and right out of the box. Now I know how it must have felt to live in Victoria Falls all those years, and know that your representative is one of the few voices of sanity in Washington.

No, he doesn't define himself as a libertarian. And he might not be a libertarian, at least not on certain issues, at least not yet. He's just a representative of a city that has been screwed by Washington for decades, and was built by pioneers, and which would rather die self-reliant than live as slaves. And he knows his mandate is to represent us, not the corporations, because Sullivan represented the corporations, and that's why Bridenstine sought the job and why he got the job. Just an honest man bound and determined to properly represent a city largely made up of paleoconservatives, and with backbone enough to refuse to take crap from anyone.

I like him. More every day. And if he keeps up the good work, in a year and a half you'll find me doing everything I can think of to get him reelected--or to get him to run for Coburn's seat, as the case may be.

twomp
03-17-2013, 01:20 PM

Because he was considered a "liberty" candidate and even had his own sub-forum here at one time. Many of us even donated to him. So we get to hold his feet to the fire, did any of the other people you named have their own sub-forums here?