PDA

View Full Version : Durbin: Rights are not absolute.

No Free Beer
03-16-2013, 07:37 AM
Did anyone see this during the Ted Cruz-Feinstein exchange?

acptulsa
03-16-2013, 07:53 AM
Democrats really are more susceptible than Republicans. We really should be able to discredit the hell out of the Democratic Party. We've got two more years of Obama's complete disdain for the principles he ran on in 2008 to destroy their weak claims to credibility. And this inter-election season is the very time to punch the message home.

No Free Beer
03-16-2013, 08:03 AM
Democrats really are more susceptible than Republicans. We really should be able to discredit the hell out of the Democratic Party. We've got two more years of Obama's complete disdain for the principles he ran on in 2008 to destroy their weak claims to credibility. And this inter-election season is the very time to punch the message home.

The sad thing is that the progressives I talk to actually agree with this statement by bringing up: You can't yell fire in a theater!

belian78
03-16-2013, 09:25 AM
No, really you can yell fire in a theater. However, you will get charges brought against you. There is no magical force stopping you from uttering the word in a specific place, so the right is absolute, but others have a right to bring charges and lawsuits against you. I can't stand purposeful ignorance.

Christian Liberty
03-16-2013, 08:15 PM
Its not like I REALLY care about this issue, or really expect the libertarian position to be taken on this, but in the interest of logical consistency... the government has no right to ban screaming fire in a crowded theater. There is no explicit victim. The only possible victim is the theater owner, who can ban such actions on his property, much how (Although much more dangerous) using a cell phone during a movie is not a crime but still isn't allowed in a theater.