PDA

View Full Version : Rand Paul, Rock Star: Libertarians Run the Show at CPAC

jct74
03-15-2013, 06:41 PM
Rand Paul, Rock Star: Libertarians Run the Show at CPAC

by Michael Moynihan
Mar 15, 2013 5:51 PM EDT

The GOP’s libertarian and socially conservative wings are eyeing each other warily, writes Michael Moynihan.

http://cdn.thedailybeast.com/content/dailybeast/articles/2013/03/15/rand-paul-rock-star-libertarians-run-the-show-at-cpac/_jcr_content/body/inlineimage.img.503.jpg/1363392938380.cached.jpg

In 1998, Stephen Glass’s career as a journalist began unraveling with a ripping yarn, entirely fabricated as it turned out, about the Conservative Political Action Conference (CPAC). Glass, writing in The New Republic, claimed to have followed a group of young righties—including the clichéd “meaty” Midwestern quarterback, and a “freckled boy from Iowa”—as they smoked pot, engaged in lascivious sexual behavior, and drank like an army of Hunter Thompsons in pleated pants. “This is the face of young conservatism in 1997,” he wrote. “Pissed off and pissed; dejected, depressed, drunk and dumb.”

In 2013, Glass’s story, had it been real, would have scandalized nobody. It’s rather common to find college-age attendees at CPAC offering full-throated support for either the decriminalization or legalization of marijuana (lots of sly smirks when asked, but no one would admit to smoking pot, except for some of those rock-ribbed libertarian attendees). And despite the focus on the exclusion of the gay conservative group GOProud, I had a difficult time finding young conservatives who believed gay Republicans should be excluded from the conference.

Indeed, the libertarian crowd has been increasingly vocal at Obama-era CPACs—Ron Paul has routinely won the annual straw poll—but this year, the Rand Paul Brigades look something like an occupying force. Everywhere one turns, there are “Stand with Rand” signs, stickers, and t-shirts (a volunteer told me he had handed out a thousand shirts in just over two hours). In the rush to see the Kentucky senator’s speech, one Paul supporter thrust a “A Stand with Rand” placard into a young conservative’s hands. He resisted, offering a sheepish apology: “Sorry, I’m not a libertarian.” The sign hustler also apologized: “Oh, sorry, it’s just that so many people here are.”

read more:
http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2013/03/15/rand-paul-rock-star-libertarians-run-the-show-at-cpac.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=19_GAMwbmi0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=19_GAMwbmi0

jtstellar
03-15-2013, 06:53 PM
who's this adhd-looking freak

anaconda
03-15-2013, 06:55 PM
LOL I loved the characterization "Ideological ornithologists Sens. John McCain and Lindsey Graham"

anaconda
03-15-2013, 06:58 PM
Frothy quoted the Buddha in CPAC speech. Wonders never cease.

Sola_Fide
03-15-2013, 07:06 PM
That video was horrible. The exact WRONG way to bring religious conservatives to liberty is to make the argument about the "social acceptance" of homosexuality and drugs.

The way you bring religious conservatives to liberty is to teach them the difference between religious faith and statism. You teach them that social conservatism does not imply statism. You separate legislation from personal faith. The one thing you DO NOT do is say that they must change their values in order to support freedom for everyone.

If the Reason-types behind Rand are pushing this, this could hurt him in the end.

Patrick Henry
03-15-2013, 07:34 PM
I agree.
That video was horrible. The exact WRONG way to bring religious conservatives to liberty is to make the argument about the "social acceptance" of homosexuality and drugs.

The way you bring religious conservatives to liberty is to teach them the difference between religious faith and statism. You teach them that social conservatism does not imply statism. You separate legislation from personal faith. The one thing you DO NOT do is say that they must change their values in order to support freedom for everyone.

If the Reason-types behind Rand are pushing this, this could hurt him in the end.

TheTyke
03-15-2013, 07:39 PM
I agree too.

NorfolkPCSolutions
03-15-2013, 07:53 PM
Frothy quoted the Buddha in CPAC speech. Wonders never cease.

As retarded as the statement, "Frothy quoted the Buddha..." is, it still refers to something more intelligent than Herman chatting up Pokemon in a national political debate. I don't know what Frothy said, and I don't want to know - I don't fucking care - Frothy can go fornicate himself with an oversized phallic device. The kind that requires garage space to store and at least 500 gallons of water to clean up afterwards.

He's into that kind of thing. Dudes, I mean. And kink.

anaconda
03-15-2013, 08:02 PM
As retarded as the statement, "Frothy quoted the Buddha..." is,

Well, I do actually hope that Rick may achieve enlightenment.

Tinnuhana
03-15-2013, 08:11 PM
Someone should ask Santorum what he thinks of the new pope.
And, when you said he quoted the Buddha, my first thought was, "Aqua"?

sailingaway
03-15-2013, 08:59 PM

Yeah

FriedChicken
03-15-2013, 10:51 PM

You got that very very right.
I'm what a lot would consider to be a social conservative in my personal life based on my convictions/my faith. However - I recognize that people have the freedom to carry out whatever lifestyle they choose as long as it doesn't harm an innocent ... and by harm I mean physically.

I also recognize, and have had some luck communicating this to others I know, that people are more likely to be reached/convicted/converted if Christians reach out with love and humility and NOT with authoritarian laws that force them to live in a way not of their choosing.
Seeing Christians as a bully will not help the church.

So yeah, you're very accurate in your assessment. We [social conservatives] don't have to learn to just "accept things" (change our morals) - but we can allow people to have the freedom to participate in things we disapprove of. That is the right thing to do and as such it is easier to swallow.

Many on this forum I don't think understand this and do not believe that the "religious right" could ever fit into the liberty movement.

thoughtomator
03-15-2013, 10:54 PM
I think the religious right can fit in just fine with the liberty movement, once they understand how fiercely we are fighting to protect their religious liberty - and that we're doing a hell of a lot better at it than their previous champions.

FriedChicken
03-15-2013, 11:45 PM
I think the religious right can fit in just fine with the liberty movement, once they understand how fiercely we are fighting to protect their religious liberty - and that we're doing a hell of a lot better at it than their previous champions.

I don't know if you quite understand that the most important thing to any "religious" (I hate the term religious) group is growing their kingdom/family/church/etc.
Religious liberty takes a back seat to that cause.

However ... the most fruitful environment for that to happen is in a free society. So liberty in general (not just isolated religious liberty) makes a perfect front seat travel companion.
People can't be forced into a faith. Can't be forced in to certain morals. etc.