PDA

View Full Version : McCain Apologizes For Calling Rand Paul, Ted Cruz 'Wacko Birds': 'That Was Inappropriate'

jct74
03-15-2013, 03:42 PM
McCain Apologizes For Calling Rand Paul, Ted Cruz ‘Wacko Birds’ On Fox News: ‘That Was Inappropriate’

by Matt Wilstein | 5:02 pm, March 15th, 2013

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_IJ8dDkWWIo

Friday afternoon on Fox News, Sen. John McCain (R-AZ) delivered his first on-camera apology to his Senate colleagues Rand Paul (R-KY) and Ted Cruz (R-TX) for calling them “wacko birds” in an interview with The Huffington Post following Paul’s filibuster.

Responding to a question from Neil Cavuto about his recent confrontations with the younger generation of his party, McCain offered a humble and sincere apology. “In an interview I said that Senator Paul and Senator Cruz were ‘wacko birds,’” he said. “That was inappropriate. I apologize to them for saying that because I respect them both. I respect what they stand for and what they believe in.”

Tying the spat into the larger issues of national security and military spending, McCain added, “but I believe we live in a very dangerous world. And I think the sequestration is outrageous.” He said he sees Paul and Cruz as having a “very different view” of those threats.

read more
http://www.mediaite.com/tv/mccain-apologizes-for-calling-rand-paul-ted-cruz-wacko-birds-on-fox-news-that-was-inappropriate/

TheGrinch
03-15-2013, 03:46 PM
“That was inappropriate. I apologize to them for saying that because I respect them both. I respect what they stand for and what they believe in.”

The first sentence was correct, it was inappropriate (but it was clearly how he really feels). The latter is a bunch of bullshit. He doesn't respect them or he would have never called them wackos. Cheney probably told him he had to apologize :D

But glad to see he's feeling the heat from even Limbaugh. Neocons are:

http://www.reactiongifs.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/oz-omg1.gif

jkr
03-15-2013, 04:02 PM
BusteD!

thoughtomator
03-15-2013, 04:03 PM
wow he must really be feeling the heat

bunklocoempire
03-15-2013, 04:03 PM
“but I believe we live in a very dangerous world. And I think the sequestration is outrageous.”

Gee, when the 76 year old Senator finds out that nobody gets out alive he's probably really gonna freak... I wouldn't mention it to him.

brushfire
03-15-2013, 04:06 PM
You dont need to apologize McCain... You're no longer relevant, and I expect you and your sweetheart Lindsay to be politically extinct soon.

Varin
03-15-2013, 04:08 PM
Check his facebook page like 20 k of negative comments under different posts think we ca assume thousands of phone calls

Varin
03-15-2013, 04:11 PM
https://www.facebook.com/johnmccain?ref=ts&fref=ts check out the comments under
"Having a little fun at the State of the Union last night with Senators Schumer and Graham. Photo credit: AP" and
"I joined Candy Crowley on CNN yesterday to discuss the dangerous looming cuts to the defense budget, immigration reform, the Hagel nomination and other issues"
Hilarious

example:
"I stand with Rand. I'm sure you think I'm a "Wacko Bird." I think you're an idiot..."

phill4paul
03-15-2013, 04:12 PM
LOLOlololol! There is real heat when you get this dinosaur to back up. But, he won't forget it. And he will seethe and plot over it.

Lucille
03-15-2013, 04:18 PM
Is anyone else sick of these public apologies? These clowns just shoot off their irresponsible mouths, and then pretend they didn't mean it.

McCain offered a humble and sincere apology.

Nice editorializing.

Tying the spat into the larger issues of national security and military spending, McCain added, “but I believe we live in a very [very] dangerous world.

Thanks, in part, to you neo-Trots.

From the vid:

Ronald Reagan believed in peace through strength.

Once again (http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?407149-A-Battle-for-the-Soul-of-the-Party-The-GOP-Divide-on-Militarism), that doesn't mean what you neo-Trots like to think it means.

The most preposterous thing...is McCain’s insistence that he believes in “peace through strength,” which is what every hawkish interventionist says when he won’t or can’t defend his real policy views. If he believed in “peace through strength,” he wouldn’t be constantly trying to find reasons for the U.S. to start or join wars. The reality is that his preferred foreign policy is one of exhausting strength through constant warfare (http://www.theamericanconservative.com/larison/mccain-who-are-you-calling-an-interventionist/comment-page-1/).

Kregisen
03-15-2013, 04:21 PM
The first sentence was correct, it was inappropriate (but it was clearly how he really feels). The latter is a bunch of bullshit. He doesn't respect them or he would have never called them wackos.

Exactly. The apology was good until he flat out lied. In his apology he says he respects them and their views. That's complete bs. Way too make everyone hate you even more McCain. Can't even tell the truth in an apology.

jmdrake
03-15-2013, 04:32 PM
LOL. John McCain't just dug himself in deeper.

Tying the spat into the larger issues of national security and military spending, McCain added, “but I believe we live in a very dangerous world. And I think the sequestration is outrageous.” He said he sees Paul and Cruz as having a “very different view” of those threats.

If there's one thing that rank and file republicans agree on it's that spending must be cut by any means necessary. That includes sequestration if it comes to that.

jmdrake
03-15-2013, 04:33 PM
LOLOlololol! There is real heat when you get this dinosaur to back up. But, he won't forget it. And he will seethe and plot over it.

The only bad thing is John McCain't isn't up for re-election. There's no way he'd survive 2014 otherwise. Not after this.

itshappening
03-15-2013, 04:34 PM
The only bad thing is John McCain't isn't up for re-election. There's no way he'd survive 2014 otherwise. Not after this.

His buddy may not survive 2014. That's how we'll get him.

phill4paul
03-15-2013, 04:45 PM

Yeah, but he still will have a certain amount of influence. The ability to generate money for PACs. It's not like I'm worried, but, he seems as if he would be a vindictive old fart.

eleganz
03-15-2013, 05:15 PM
This says a lot about what he is thinking behind the scenes, he is known for crazy outbursts and tirades in the office. If we keep up the pressure, he might not even want to run for re-election. Ding dong the bitch'll be dead.

Every true leader knows when his time is up and if he is smart, he will bow out gracefully and those under him will take his place. McCain is showing the complete opposite...what do we say about repeating history?

JJ2
03-15-2013, 05:21 PM
There was one other person that McCain named as a "wacko bird": Justin Amash. Did he forget to apologize to him? Or is he only apologizing to the Senators because he has to work with them in the Senate?

anaconda
03-15-2013, 05:22 PM
The latter is a bunch of bullshit. He doesn't respect them or he would have never called them wackos. Cheney probably told him he had to apologize :D

Maybe we can spin this to a positive win instead of just insulting the poster boy for the old and dying welfare/warfare GOP.

itshappening
03-15-2013, 05:25 PM
HotAir's Allahpundit shares his wisdom on this... interesting comments about Cruz which links to this article (http://www.theamericanconservative.com/larison/ted-cruzs-foreign-policy-and-the-paul-demint-caucus/)

-
The key bit comes at 2:00. We all knew McCain was taking a lot of heat politically for dumping on Paul after his filibuster but I never would have guessed it was enough to squeeze an apology out of him. Good lord. How many times in his life, do you suppose, has Maverick apologized to a libertarian? Either he’s planning to run again for Senate in 2016 and wants to hedge his bets against a Paulian primary uprising in Arizona or he’s come to his senses and realized that his nastiness is doing the interventionist cause more harm than good. Either way, it’s time for a tactical retreat.

By the way, am I misunderstanding or does he seem to think Ted Cruz, like Paul, is some sort of isolationist? I’m … not sure why. There was no one in the Senate, McCain included, who was tougher on Chuck Hagel than Cruz. When the Washington Free Beacon asked him to explain, Cruz said it’s because Hagel “has repeatedly been soft on our enemies.” Paleocons have also noticed that Cruz, despite often being lumped in with Paul on foreign policy, sounds plenty hawkish on Iran. Maverick’s likely concluded that because Cruz and Paul both speak frequently about the tea party and the Constitution and because Cruz was, after all, Paul’s wingman during the drone filibuster that they’re simpatico on foreign policy, but I suspect that’s untrue. In fact, Cruz and Paul seem to me to represent the two sides of the tea-party coin. From the beginning, Ron Paul fans have insisted that he’s the “godfather” of the movement; there are certainly tea partiers, especially the younger set, who are doctrinaire libertarians and whom Rand is trying to mobilize. But there’s another wing, which skews a bit older, that’s composed of more traditional conservatives — hawkish, concerned about “values” — who are disaffected with the GOP leadership’s squishiness and looking to rebrand themselves. The two wings overlap on spending, the core tea-party concern, and on stricter observance of constitutional limits on government, but they diverge on social issues and on foreign policy. Cruz was an ally of Paul’s during the drone debate because of that constitutional overlap, and of course because it was a chance to rebuke Obama. If a bill hit the floor tomorrow authorizing military action against Iran, though, I’m a lot less confident than Maverick that Cruz would end up on Paul’s side rather than on McCain’s and Rubio’s. We’ll find out…

http://hotair.com/archives/2013/03/15/mccain-i-apologize-to-rand-paul-and-ted-cruz-for-calling-them-wacko-birds/

-

it's a little worrying how nonchalant Allahpundit throws around a bill authorizing War with Iran like hey, it's no big deal Cruz will probably vote for it. They never learn these people. A war and occupation of Iran would be an absolute unmitigated disaster.

JK/SEA
03-15-2013, 05:26 PM
hey McCain, i apologize for calling you a fuckin' drool donkey with no brains. But i respect you.

anaconda
03-15-2013, 05:29 PM
Well, McCain's probably right when he says we are in great danger of some type of armed conflict. Thanks to the the policies of military-industrial complex errand boys like him.

TheGrinch
03-15-2013, 05:30 PM
I was thinking about doing an Angry birds themed pic, but I knew you guys wouldn't let me down :D:

https://www.nationalreview.com/sites/default/files/nfs/uploaded/u814/2013/03/Wacko%20Birds.jpg

http://reason.com/assets/mc/_external/2013_03/-courtesy-benjamin-lee.jpg

eleganz
03-15-2013, 05:32 PM
Take a second to remember the past where MSM treated Ron Paul like Cavuto treated McCain in the video...almost like he was senile.

We are now the 'cool' crew...lmao.

Paul used to be synonymous with extreme and fringe. Now the Paul name is synonymous with fresh ideas and the future of the party.

#winning

anaconda
03-15-2013, 05:36 PM
http://www.internetweekly.org/images/chicken.jpg

anaconda
03-15-2013, 05:44 PM
Kudos to Cavuto for saying (with respect to McCain's intolerance of other people's maverickness): "It just seems weird." And then McSame says "Life's not fair?" WTF?

phill4paul
03-15-2013, 05:48 PM
There was one other person that McCain named as a "wacko bird": Justin Amash. Did he forget to apologize to him? Or is he only apologizing to the Senators because he has to work with them in the Senate?

Good question.

T.hill
03-15-2013, 05:58 PM
HotAir's Allahpundit shares his wisdom on this... interesting comments about Cruz which links to this article (http://www.theamericanconservative.com/larison/ted-cruzs-foreign-policy-and-the-paul-demint-caucus/)

-
The key bit comes at 2:00. We all knew McCain was taking a lot of heat politically for dumping on Paul after his filibuster but I never would have guessed it was enough to squeeze an apology out of him. Good lord. How many times in his life, do you suppose, has Maverick apologized to a libertarian? Either he’s planning to run again for Senate in 2016 and wants to hedge his bets against a Paulian primary uprising in Arizona or he’s come to his senses and realized that his nastiness is doing the interventionist cause more harm than good. Either way, it’s time for a tactical retreat.

By the way, am I misunderstanding or does he seem to think Ted Cruz, like Paul, is some sort of isolationist? I’m … not sure why. There was no one in the Senate, McCain included, who was tougher on Chuck Hagel than Cruz. When the Washington Free Beacon asked him to explain, Cruz said it’s because Hagel “has repeatedly been soft on our enemies.” Paleocons have also noticed that Cruz, despite often being lumped in with Paul on foreign policy, sounds plenty hawkish on Iran. Maverick’s likely concluded that because Cruz and Paul both speak frequently about the tea party and the Constitution and because Cruz was, after all, Paul’s wingman during the drone filibuster that they’re simpatico on foreign policy, but I suspect that’s untrue. In fact, Cruz and Paul seem to me to represent the two sides of the tea-party coin. From the beginning, Ron Paul fans have insisted that he’s the “godfather” of the movement; there are certainly tea partiers, especially the younger set, who are doctrinaire libertarians and whom Rand is trying to mobilize. But there’s another wing, which skews a bit older, that’s composed of more traditional conservatives — hawkish, concerned about “values” — who are disaffected with the GOP leadership’s squishiness and looking to rebrand themselves. The two wings overlap on spending, the core tea-party concern, and on stricter observance of constitutional limits on government, but they diverge on social issues and on foreign policy. Cruz was an ally of Paul’s during the drone debate because of that constitutional overlap, and of course because it was a chance to rebuke Obama. If a bill hit the floor tomorrow authorizing military action against Iran, though, I’m a lot less confident than Maverick that Cruz would end up on Paul’s side rather than on McCain’s and Rubio’s. We’ll find out…

http://hotair.com/archives/2013/03/15/mccain-i-apologize-to-rand-paul-and-ted-cruz-for-calling-them-wacko-birds/

-

it's a little worrying how nonchalant Allahpundit throws around a bill authorizing War with Iran like hey, it's no big deal Cruz will probably vote for it. They never learn these people. A war and occupation of Iran would be an absolute unmitigated disaster.

It's weird how good Ted Cruz is on civil liberties, but espouses hawkish rhetoric on foreign policy. There's probably no doubt that Cruz has more hawkish views than Rand and Ron, Mike Lee, but I really doubt he's a complete interventionist.

rubioneocon
03-15-2013, 06:32 PM

How hot ? USS Forrestal heat hot yet McShame ?

'Wet-starts', done either deliberately
(the starter motor switch allowed kerosene to pool in the engine and give a wet start)
or accidentally, shoot a large flame from the tail of the aircraft.

In McCain's case, the 'wet-start' 'cooked off' and launched the M34 Zuni rocket from the rear F-4 that punctured the Skyhawk's fuel tank, knocked the M-65 1000 lb. bomb off it's 500 lb. rated mount, and touched off the explosions and massive fire of the USS Forrestal on 29 July 1967

jpg editted in soon heres caption
Description: XA4D-1 Skyhawk BuNo 137812 experiencing a wet start
(note the pool of JP4 on the ground and the tongue of flame from the tailpipe).

'Wet starting' was a common practice among young 'hot-dog' pilots.
McCain was quickly transferred to the USS Oriskany - they were still counting the Forrestal dead . . .
John McCain was the only Forrestal crewman to be immediately transferred.

a coverup McCain . . . damn straight !

JJ2
03-15-2013, 06:35 PM
Kudos to Cavuto for saying (with respect to McCain's intolerance of other people's maverickness): "It just seems weird." And then McSame says "Life's not fair?" WTF?

LOL, I thought that was hilarious! McCain thought Cavuto was defending him from attack, when Cavuto was actually questioning his change of stance! He didn't have a clue!

radiofriendly
03-15-2013, 06:54 PM
That was a sweet victory!

http://iroots.org/2013/03/15/mccain-apologizes-to-rand-paul-for-wacko-bird-name-calling/

Dianne
03-15-2013, 07:49 PM
McCain's entire life is inappropriate...

But somehow the jacked up state he represents... continues to re-elect him... The rest of the USA bears the price for their ignorance... much as we bear the price for the ignorance of South Carolina in Lindsey Graham.

anaconda
03-15-2013, 08:18 PM

But somehow the jacked up state he represents... continues to re-elect him... The rest of the USA bears the price for their ignorance... much as we bear the price for the ignorance of South Carolina in Lindsey Graham.

And here in CA, we give you all Dianne Feinstein and Barbara Boxer.

Bruno
03-15-2013, 08:23 PM
After 7 decades in the Senate he is just now realizing what comments are inappropriate?

brandon
03-15-2013, 08:33 PM
This whole thing has made me respect McCain a lot more. He truly is a Maverick, and I don't think he needed to apologize.He's still completely wrong about nearly everything, but his fortitude makes him much more respectable than a slimeball politician like McConnell or Rubio.

nasaal
03-15-2013, 09:47 PM
I would have had more respect for Mccain if he stuck by what he said. I don't really agree with anything he says, but I respect someone standing by their words more than spouting fake apologies. If he thinks Rand is a wacko, then he should stand by it.

heavenlyboy34
03-15-2013, 10:03 PM
You dont need to apologize McCain... You're no longer relevant, and I expect you and your sweetheart Lindsay to be politically extinct soon.
Meh. He's an old warhorse they'll prop up for speeches and appearances until he's dead. Then they'll mummify him and put him somewhere where the Party Faithful can worship him. :P

Brett85
03-15-2013, 10:04 PM
I give McCain credit for apologizing. He didn't have to do that. I've never had a problem with him as a person.

supermario21
03-15-2013, 10:06 PM
No. He's an honorable man. Just with a bunch of wrong convictions.

heavenlyboy34
03-15-2013, 10:07 PM

Yeah, but to be fair, there usually aren't many alternatives. Plus, the McShame crew has a lot more money, influence, and fundraising power than any of his opponents that I've seen. There are always several viable alternatives, but you know how it goes. :P If Constitutionalists would get serious and strike out direct election of senators, I reckon McCain would have been de-elected quite a while ago. Popular election of Senators has made SUCH a mess of things. :P

Jeremy
03-15-2013, 10:21 PM
A very polite and humble interview from Mossy McCain.

pacelli
03-15-2013, 10:40 PM
Fuck you, McSTAIN.

My friends, it is time to retire.

It is too late to apologize. That kind of RHETORIC, SIR, is what got people like YOU elected, asshole.

Rudeman
03-15-2013, 10:43 PM
I would have had more respect for Mccain if he stuck by what he said. I don't really agree with anything he says, but I respect someone standing by their words more than spouting fake apologies. If he thinks Rand is a wacko, then he should stand by it.

Eh, he probably still thinks Rand is a wacko, just that it wasn't appropriate to say (especially to media).

Brett85
03-15-2013, 10:45 PM
What exactly was the point of McCain apologizing when he's still just going to receive a bunch of hateful comments from people here? Maybe he should've just stuck with his original remarks.

TheTexan
03-15-2013, 10:58 PM
What exactly was the point of McCain apologizing when he's still just going to receive a bunch of hateful comments from people here? Maybe he should've just stuck with his original remarks.

Maybe he should have. His apology was politically motivated BS. If he had stuck by his statement -- the statement he truly believes -- I for one would have .0000001 more respect for him.

As it stands he's just a hypocritical warmongering bottom of the barrel neocon who's too pussy to even stand firm by his own fucking opinion

thoughtomator
03-15-2013, 10:59 PM

Well, he's going to get those remarks because he has earned them. Does anybody here actually believe he apologized because it was the right thing to do and not because of the blowback?

Matt Collins
03-15-2013, 11:11 PM
If we keep up the pressure, he might not even want to run for re-election. Ding dong the bitch'll be dead.Exactly. If you cause them enough pain, the older ones lose the will to run again many times because they just don't want to do what is needed to win.

As a liberty activist, if you're not feared, then you're not respected.

anaconda
03-15-2013, 11:19 PM
No. He's an honorable man.

Honor among thieves?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HAzDEbVFcg8

Cleaner44
03-16-2013, 12:14 AM
McCain talks up peace through strength and yet he pushes for weakness from war.

TheTexan
03-16-2013, 12:21 AM

Y u no like ridonculously gigantic military

Michigan11
03-16-2013, 12:59 AM
McLame sounded like he was hittin the whiskey again

Cap
03-16-2013, 04:07 AM
Exactly. If you cause them enough pain, the older ones lose the will to run again many times because they just don't want to do what is needed to win.

As a liberty activist, if you're not feared, then you're not respected.Fear the Collins!

LibertyEagle
03-16-2013, 04:33 AM
Peace through strength means you have a strong national DEFENSE as a deterrent to anyone thinking about attacking our own country, you wanker, McCain. It doesn't mean going around the world killing people who have not attacked the U.S., nor have posed any immediate threat.

itshappening
03-16-2013, 06:22 AM
Exactly. If you cause them enough pain, the older ones lose the will to run again many times because they just don't want to do what is needed to win.

As a liberty activist, if you're not feared, then you're not respected.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7GL6LH6ufhM

acptulsa
03-16-2013, 07:02 AM
McCain offered a humble and sincere apology.

When did 'mediate' become a code word for 'shamelessly spin'?

What's good for the Military Industrial Complex is good for America. And, if it isn't (like violating the Constitution with drones), well, it's still good for McCain. And no doubt the psycho thinks that's more important anyway.

Brett85
03-16-2013, 07:06 AM
Maybe he should have. His apology was politically motivated BS. If he had stuck by his statement -- the statement he truly believes -- I for one would have .0000001 more respect for him.

As it stands he's just a hypocritical warmongering bottom of the barrel neocon who's too pussy to even stand firm by his own fucking opinion

Politically motivated? The guy is like 80 years old. He doesn't have a political future. The odds are that he won't even run for re-election to the Senate.

itshappening
03-16-2013, 07:10 AM
Politically motivated? The guy is like 80 years old. He doesn't have a political future. The odds are that he won't even run for re-election to the Senate.

Th odds are McCain will not leave the Senate because he loves the power and attention. If Pat Roberts doesn't retire what makes you think McCain would?

acptulsa
03-16-2013, 07:14 AM

Politically motivated. He will enjoy his power as long as he has it, he will spend money as long as he breathes, he will collect from the MIC as long as he can do their bidding. And I doubt he'll retire any more than Robert Byrd did. They'll cart him out of the Senate chamber in a box.

And the only thing he's sorry about is that he's too obnoxious to spin stuff like this well.

Brett85
03-16-2013, 07:15 AM
Th odds are McCain will not leave the Senate because he loves the power and attention. If Pat Roberts doesn't retire what makes you think McCain would?

Yeah, I don't know for sure. It just seems like McCain will be too old by then to mount much of a campaign and also may have to worry about another primary challenge.

itshappening
03-16-2013, 07:17 AM
Yeah, I don't know for sure. It just seems like McCain will be too old by then to mount much of a campaign and also may have to worry about another primary challenge.

McCain doesn't have to worry about a primary. Like Roberts he has that seat for as long as he wants it and gives the impression he does indeed want it forever.

July
03-16-2013, 07:25 AM

Yeah, I noticed he was talking about himself and his career in the past tense.

He still clearly doesn't like or agree with Rand's views. But it was a good apology... I appreciate he brought up the Taft wing and how this is a long debate that's been going on since WWI, and that it is a debate that will likely continue, and is about America's role in the world. In saying this, he conceded it's not just about drones, but part of a larger issue and debate.

JK/SEA
03-16-2013, 09:20 AM
hey McWarstain, i apologize for calling you a bloody dingle berry hanging off Stalins hairy ass. But i respect you.

satchelmcqueen
03-16-2013, 02:45 PM
what ever mccain. you laughed at ron paul in the debates with the others, so i surely didnt expect anymore from you than disrespect you put out toward rand. soooo, go fuck yourself.

edit: see now i feel bad even though i shouldnt. mccain, with politics aside, seems like a very funny guy to me. hes always joking and acting retarded. i do that! but i just cant get his laugh out of my mind from the 07-08 debates, AND his lack of remorse since then with the way he cuts down ron and the message he brings. now hes doing it to rand. i just dont get why freedom is so bad to these guys like him. it looks like he would embrace it.

now back to my raman noodles....

satchelmcqueen
03-16-2013, 02:51 PM
maybe us gun owning free citizens should contact mossy oak and see if they will pursue mccain for endorsement. i seriously might shoot them an email would be funny to see that.
A very polite and humble interview from Mossy McCain.

abacabb
03-16-2013, 02:52 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Bk_nqUQ0fc

Occam's Banana
03-16-2013, 07:35 PM
What exactly was the point of McCain apologizing when he's still just going to receive a bunch of hateful comments from people here?

The point is (the political theater of) damage control.

Maybe he should've just stuck with his original remarks.

He should have. That, at least, would have been honest. (But McCain is not an honest man.)

His apology was bullshit. It is not worth the spit behind it.

The only thing he's sorry about is all the full-in-the-face blowback he's caught over his remarks.

His "apology" was no more sincere than Janet Reno's "taking of responsibility" for Waco ...