PDA

View Full Version : Tough new gun law in New York state nets first arrest

Anti Federalist
03-15-2013, 12:03 PM
Tough new gun law in New York state nets first arrest

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2013/03/15/new-york-state-gun-law-arrested/1990899/

Kelly Dudzik and Douglas Stanglin, USA TODAY1:54p.m. EDT March 15, 2013

A 33-year-old man from western New York state is the first person to be charged under the state's strict new gun law that was passed in the wake of the Newtown, Conn., school shootings.

Prosecutors said Benjamin Wassell, of Silver Creek, N.Y., was charged with illegally selling assault and semi-automatic assault weapons to an undercover state police investigator, WGRZ-TV reported.

"By selling these illegal firearms, Mr. Wassell's actions had potentially dangerous consequences for New Yorkers," said State Attorney General Eric Schneiderman. "We have seen far too much gun violence in our state in recent months, and the sale of illegal semi-automatic weapons will not go unpunished."

The New York Secure Ammunition and Firearms Enforcement Act was passed by the legislature in mid-January following the killing of 20 children and six adults at the Sandy Hook school in Newtown, Conn., in December.

According to court documents, the sale included an AR-15, nearly 300 rounds of ammo and six magazines and an AR-10 semi-automatic rifle along with 31 rounds of ammo and one magazine.

During the investigation, prosecutors say, the undercover officer told Wassell that he or she was a convicted felon. Under the SAFE Act, it is illegal to sell an AR-10 to a felon.

READ: The new N.Y. gun control law

Prosecutors said they have an audio recording of Wassell allegedly telling the investigator, "this whole felony banned for life thing, it's stupid."

The AR-10 was treated as an assault weapon covered by the new gun law because it allegedly had a specific type of pistol grip.

The Observer newspaper said the alleged sale, which totaled $1,900, took place in two meetings in Hanover, N.Y., one at an Aunt Millie's Restaurant and the second outside a bowling alley.

The SAFE Act, among other provisions, requires gun registration, bans high-capacity magazines, tracks ammunitions sales, and requires a mental health evaluation by a prospective purchaser.

If convicted Wassell could face up to seven years in prison.

Christian Liberty
03-15-2013, 12:10 PM
Wait so... he didn't sell to a felon, he sold to a cop... Who maybe ought to be a felon, but isn't.

I can't even believe my state. I'm ticked off. Ugh...

This is unconstitutional. I am amazed that its legal for cops to bait people into breaking the law like this...

jkr
03-15-2013, 12:12 PM
"Mr. Wassell's actions had potentially dangerous consequences for New Yorkers"

YOU MEAN, OTHER THAN "LIVING" IN NEW YORK?

"We have seen far too much gun violence in our state in recent months, and the sale of illegal semi-automatic weapons will not go unpunished."

YOU MEAN LIKE WHEN THOSE COPS SHOT 9 INNOCENT PEOPLE IN THE STREET?

"the undercover officer told Wassell that he or she was a convicted felon"

YOU MEAN COPS ARE ALLOWED TO LIE?

"Under the SAFE Act, it is illegal to sell an AR-10 to a felon."

YOU MEAN LIKE LYING "COPS" WHO SHOOT INNOCENT MUNDANES IN THE STREETS?

"this whole felony banned for life thing, it's stupid."

YOU MEAN, UNCONSTITUTIONAL?

"The AR-10 was treated as an assault weapon covered by the new gun law because it allegedly had a specific type of pistol grip."

YOU MEAN THE HANDLE

THE FUCKING HANDLE GEOMETRY MAKES IT A WORSE "CRIME"?

WORSE THAN SAY, OH, I DONT KNOW:

LYING "COPS" WHO SHOOT INNOCENT MUNDANES IN THE STREETS?

FUCK
NEW
YORK

Anti Federalist
03-15-2013, 12:12 PM
Wait so... he didn't sell to a felon, he sold to a cop... Who maybe ought to be a felon, but isn't.

I can't even believe my state. I'm ticked off. Ugh...

This is unconstitutional. I am amazed that its legal for cops to bait people into breaking the law like this...

He thought he was selling to a felon, comrade.

James Madison
03-15-2013, 12:15 PM
He thought he was selling to a felon, comrade.

But he wasn't, so how did he break the law?