PDA

View Full Version : Wow, look at the raging stupidity that Ron Paul faced in 1988

rp08orbust
03-15-2013, 08:55 AM
I hadn't seen this clip before (it contains much more than the fat kid clip that's been posted many times before). Part of the stupidity is a reflection of the show itself, but still, I don't remember Ron Paul ever facing anywhere near this level of stupidity and disrespect from 2007 to 2012. I guess that's kind of encouraging.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zeViJPKr8mw&feature=youtu.be

Sola_Fide
03-15-2013, 08:57 AM
Haha...that hand gesture that Ron did in the last second of that clip had me rolling.

fr33
03-15-2013, 10:26 AM
There aren't any shows like Downey Jr today. I guess the closest thing is Bill Maher but even that show wasn't as confrontational as Downey's show.

Bruno
03-15-2013, 10:28 AM
That was my first exposure to Ron. I had forgotten all about it until 2007.

satchelmcqueen
03-15-2013, 10:52 AM
same here and i thought he was stupid. i was only a child of 8. wow how times have changed and how my mind has changed since becoming a responsible adult.
That was my first exposure to Ron. I had forgotten all about it until 2007.

sailingaway
03-15-2013, 10:58 AM
There's a much better video of Ron doing a debrief of his campaign in 1989 -- he mentions that Morton Downey Jr wanted him on again to discuss some proposed Texas law to cut off people's fingers for theft or something. His face was priceless. He said he told them no, thank you.

sailingaway
03-15-2013, 11:11 AM
here's the 1989 video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GewLKQU7XSs

The part where he mentions the Downey show asking him on again starts around 9:30.... I had misremembered the bill, it was to chop fingers off drug dealers, one for every time they were caught.

RockEnds
03-15-2013, 11:33 AM
I had already quit watching TV by 1988, so I never saw this program, although I did hear of MDJ. I don't see how it's that much different than the criticism today, though. It's sensationalized, but it's still the same criticism. I hadn't heard of Ron Paul then, but I was definitely aware of Bush's affiliation with the CIA and the CIA's involvement in drugs. It wasn't exactly a well-kept secret. It was just a matter of which side of the fence you sat on. If Bush would have run against someone--anyone--other than Dukakis, he would have had a much more difficult time getting elected.

sailingaway
03-15-2013, 11:52 AM
I had already quit watching TV by 1988, so I never saw this program, although I did hear of MDJ. I don't see how it's that much different than the criticism today, though. It's sensationalized, but it's still the same criticism. I hadn't heard of Ron Paul then, but I was definitely aware of Bush's affiliation with the CIA and the CIA's involvement in drugs. It wasn't exactly a well-kept secret. It was just a matter of which side of the fence you sat on. If Bush would have run against someone--anyone--other than Dukakis, he would have had a much more difficult time getting elected.

I like how this old stuff keeps turning up, though.

Christian Liberty
03-15-2013, 11:52 AM
I wasn't born until 1995 and didn't know who Ron Paul was until 2010, so I obviously didn't ever see that clip until just now. I can't imagine Ron Paul shouting at people like that anymore. Not that there was anything wrong with it, but his style definitely seems to have changed. He's calmed down. The substance is the same but he's definitely learned to speak more softly. Or at least that's the impression I get.

I'm also a little surprised he didn't mention the states at all. While it is completely obvious that Ron Paul supports individual drug freedom, he also supports the tenth amendment. I remember him being asked that question in one of the GOP Primary debates and although he did say something off handedly about "If a state legalized heroin, well we don't need the government to tell us not to use heroin" but he has generally framed it as a state's rights thing. I'm just surprised he didn't mention it at all in 1988.

RockEnds
03-15-2013, 11:53 AM
I like how this old stuff keeps turning up, though.

It is cool to watch, especially since I missed the first time! I don't remember much about MDJ, but wasn't he into drugs? Or am I remembering that wrong?

eta: Google says it was Robert Downey Jr.

sailingaway
03-15-2013, 09:48 PM
I don't remember him, really.

supermario21
03-16-2013, 12:07 AM
The chick in that 88 video looks and sounds so much like Michele Bachmann.

CaptUSA
03-16-2013, 12:32 AM
Aren't you guys glad Ron changed his delivery style? Many of us could learn a lesson here. Antagonism never brings people your way. The Ron Paul that drew millions to the cause did so by staying true to his principles, but removing the hostility for those who don't get it yet.

anaconda
03-16-2013, 12:42 AM
And then there was the much doubted "hate crime" incident:

http://www.bogushatecrimes.com/89_MortonDowneySwastika.php

kcchiefs6465
03-16-2013, 12:45 AM
And then there was the much doubted "hate crime" incident:

http://www.bogushatecrimes.com/89_MortonDowneySwastika.php
Lmao. I had not heard about that one. I actually hadn't heard of him, either, until this thread.

affa
03-16-2013, 01:53 AM
we're still up against those mindsets. most people think of laws as winning/losing propositions. that is, they want law that support their beliefs and customs. so if a law is being debated, they aren't thinking about it at the meta-level of 'do we need a law about this at all', but rather 'oh, i don't like x so i want a law against it'.

oh, the humanity.

unknown
03-16-2013, 05:51 AM
I've watched the entire segment in the past and I have mixed feelings.

I like the fired up Ron Paul. I hate how they're disrespectful towards him.

"Let me go to loudmouth number 2, Mr. Orstrosky...", hahahah.

fr33
03-16-2013, 08:46 AM
Aren't you guys glad Ron changed his delivery style? Many of us could learn a lesson here. Antagonism never brings people your way. The Ron Paul that drew millions to the cause did so by staying true to his principles, but removing the hostility for those who don't get it yet.

That wasn't ever Ron's style. He was acting like everybody else did on that show. If I weren't on my mobile I'd go find the episode where Al Sharpton got shoved out of his chair.

liveandletlive
03-16-2013, 09:56 AM
i kinda like this Young Ron. An AR-15 carryin, takes no prisoners, pulls no punches kinda guy.

wish we had this guy to beat up Romney. You got fragments of it when he was thumping Newt, Santorum and ridiculing Bachmann

but then again the media would have portrayed him as more of a kook than they already did.

NCGOPer_for_Paul
03-16-2013, 10:31 AM
The chick in that 88 video looks and sounds so much like Michele Bachmann.

She's Lisa Sliwa. Curtis Sliwa's ex-wife. Curtis Sliwa was the founder of the Guardian Angels. They were a vigilante organization that actually weren't all that bad. If they saw a crime in process or saw someone being attacked, they stepped in and defended the victim.

sailingaway
03-16-2013, 10:34 AM

This wasn't Ron's style, look at the other video I posted on the first page, less than a year later. It was when he was being completely sandbagged and felt the need to present a different view of it because that was why he was there. Seriously, watch the second video, and particularly the part at 9:30 on where he discusses being on that show.

kcchiefs6465
03-16-2013, 10:44 AM
She's Lisa Sliwa. Curtis Sliwa's ex-wife. Curtis Sliwa was the founder of the Guardian Angels. They were a vigilante organization that actually weren't all that bad. If they saw a crime in process or saw someone being attacked, they stepped in and defended the victim.
That explains a lot, actually.

Btw, the guardian angels are a joke. A bad joke at that.

CaptUSA
03-16-2013, 10:45 AM
This wasn't Ron's style, look at the other video I posted on the first page, less than a year later. It was when he was being completely sandbagged and felt the need to present a different view of it because that was why he was there. Seriously, watch the second video, and particularly the part at 9:30 on where he discusses being on that show.Style was a perhaps a bad word. I remember that show. I used to watch it all the time back then. It was very antagonistic.

However, the Ron Paul of today would never allow himself to respond in that manner. We all know he has been pushed by different media personalities and even protesters at his events, but he doesn't respond like that. He has come to realize the fruitlessness of that kind of arguing when you are dealing with people who don't understand.

fr33
03-16-2013, 10:50 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YcOgOWLCWxw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tqjIN4MTDzg

sailingaway
03-16-2013, 10:54 AM
Style was a perhaps a bad word. I remember that show. I used to watch it all the time back then. It was very antagonistic.

However, the Ron Paul of today would never allow himself to respond in that manner. We all know he has been pushed by different media personalities and even protesters at his events, but he doesn't respond like that. He has come to realize the fruitlessness of that kind of arguing when you are dealing with people who don't understand.

I think it was the shtick of the show though. I think he knew it when he got on, but as the LP candidate didn't have many interviews in those days. In his discussion in the second video he refers to it as if it were the biggest interview of the entire campaign.

Yeah, he learned not to do it, but he doesn't have to now, either. He seems to have done what he had to to get the message out. But I don't think it was ever his style.

Czolgosz
03-16-2013, 10:54 AM
The Morton Downey Jr. show was over the top, for ratings. Nothing more. Ron was acting.

Humans are no different today than they were in the 1980's or the 1780's.

You can deliver knowledge in every fashion possible, but people won't come to knowledge until *they* are ready...i.e., almost never. This "movement" has always existed and is perpetually an exception to the rule of Human behavior.

I believe for the Constitution to have come into existence, when it did, required the "perfect storm." An anomaly.

emazur
03-16-2013, 12:28 PM
Here's another one from 1988 in stark contrast to Downey's show:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0I2fRcFPzu4

It's been awhile since I've watched it - I should probably give it another view

sailingaway
03-16-2013, 07:20 PM
^^thanks!

Carson
03-16-2013, 09:17 PM
Wow for some reason when I saw this thread I was thinking 2008. I wasn't ready for a step back in time like that.

It kind of hurt to see Ron Paul cornered into defending drug freedom because of his principles. I never have thought of him as a man that endorsed drug use. It seems to have always been more of an area that the government shouldn't be taxing us to control it. Trampling over the innocents rights of some to impose one idiots idea of happiness over the rights of another idiots idea.

With or without the government involved I think we all should know by now if your trapped by something like drugs your going to need to reach out for help yourself. Without the war it might be safer to reach.

Being trapped like that sort of reminds me of a story;

The fruit on his island can be compared to the lotus flowers in the Odyssey (IX, 92-96). They are both fruits that have flowers on them, but the lotus flowers in the Odyssey are meant to make Odysseus and his men forget about home, hindering his journey.

Life is to short to spend it all trapped. I think the best commercial about pot was the one where the guy still living in his mom's basement(?) says, "Nothings ever happened."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fy_knXF_G6c

Some things in life just fly by. The time for college. Marriage. Be a shame to miss out on them.

Carson
03-16-2013, 09:54 PM
My oh my how times have changed.

Kang: Abortions for all.
[crowd boos]

Kang: Very well, no abortions for anyone.
[crowd boos]

Kang: Hmm... Abortions for some, miniature American flags for others.
[crowd cheers and waves miniature flags]

Schools get $400 kickback for every kid on Ritalin. Read more:

http://campaignfortruth.com/Eclub/280203/USschoolsgetpaidforADHD.htm

P.S. There was a Ron Paul forums thread with something about this. I think ADHD was one of the key words and the other thing I remembered was the drug dealers success was over 10% of the students. I don't remember the word ritalin in it though.

Sayzak
03-16-2013, 09:57 PM
I've seen Ron JUST as excited as he was there. Only difference is he's older now, his voice is older, and he doesn't have the energy and strength to be quite as loud.

sailingaway
03-16-2013, 09:59 PM
I've seen Ron JUST as excited as he was there. Only difference is he's older now, his voice is older, and he doesn't have the energy and strength to be quite as loud.

He gets fairly loud at times, pretty recently.

sailingaway
03-16-2013, 10:00 PM
My oh my how times have changed.

Kang: Abortions for all.
[crowd boos]

Kang: Very well, no abortions for anyone.
[crowd boos]

Kang: Hmm... Abortions for some, miniature American flags for others.
[crowd cheers and waves miniature flags]

Schools get $400 kickback for every kid on Ritalin. Read more:

http://campaignfortruth.com/Eclub/280203/USschoolsgetpaidforADHD.htm

P.S. There was a Ron Paul forums thread with something about this. I think ADHD was one of the key words and the other thing I remembered was the drug dealers success was over 10% of the students. I don't remember the word ritalin in it though.

I posted a picture on that on the picture thread about a week back.

Carson
03-16-2013, 10:05 PM
Here's another one from 1988 in stark contrast to Downey's show:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0I2fRcFPzu4

It's been awhile since I've watched it - I should probably give it another view

Good video.

Should be required watching after the Downy clip.

Even if you just skip around long enough to find your sanity again.

Careful though!!!! I tried just a little of it now I'm hoOked.

This isn't a cry for help...it is much more devious.

Misery loves company!

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?326859-1988-A-Must-See-interview-of-Ron-Paul

Carson
03-16-2013, 10:06 PM
I posted a picture on that on the picture thread about a week back.

I think that was what made it come to mind.

I always check out the new stuff there. Well the stuff I can see.

eleganz
03-16-2013, 11:42 PM
I don't get it, was that girl at the mic with the red beret thing a liberal/hippie? Why would a liberal attack drug choice?

fr33
03-16-2013, 11:45 PM
I don't get it, was that girl at the mic with the red beret thing a liberal/hippie? Why would a liberal attack drug choice?

No, she was a right wing militant. The red beret is the costume of the Guardian Angels. (http://www.guardianangels.org/). They run around preventing crimes with and without victims.

sailingaway
03-16-2013, 11:47 PM
No, she was a right wing militant. The red beret is the costume of the Guardian Angels. (http://www.guardianangels.org/). They run around preventing crimes with and without victims.

Some did some good things, but they were vigilantes.

kcchiefs6465
03-17-2013, 01:08 AM
No, she was a right wing militant. The red beret is the costume of the Guardian Angels. (http://www.guardianangels.org/). They run around harrassing people in their own neighborhoods with and without victims.
FTFY.

sailingaway
03-17-2013, 10:55 AM
FTFY.

Huh, I wasn't aware of that. their PR was pretty good in Los Angeles.