PDA

View Full Version : Millions of Young Girls Forced Into Marriage

tangent4ronpaul
03-15-2013, 08:04 AM
http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2013/13/130313-child-brides-marriage-women-sinclair-photography/

How many children and teenage girls are ready for marriage? Yet the practice is shockingly prevalent: One out of nine girls in developing countries will be married by age 15, according to the United Nations. An estimated 14.2 million girls a year will become child brides by 2020 if nothing changes.

Driven largely by poverty and cultural traditions, such marriages are usually arranged by family members. The physical and emotional consequences can be life shattering, even fatal.

Pulitzer Prize-winning photographer Stephanie Sinclair has been documenting child marriage all over the world for more than a decade. Her work, which was featured in a National Geographic magazine feature in 2011, has raised awareness and helped educate both citizens and world leaders. She spoke to us after attending a recent United Nations' Commission on the Status of Women (CSW) event focused on addressing the problem of child marriage. (Pictures: The secret world of child brides.)

What do you find most disturbing about child marriage?

I think the thing that we must acknowledge is that in most cases these young children do not want to be married. They want normal lives. They want to play with their friends, they want to be educated, and they want to have a full adolescence. These marriages rob many girls of their innocence, many times before puberty, and this is something that as a global society we cannot tolerate. The bottom line is that child marriage isn't just harmful to the girls involved. It's at the root of so many other societal ills: poverty, disease, maternal mortality, infant mortality, violence against women. All of those are symptoms connected to the same problem. If you solve the child marriage problem, these other issues benefit as well. And as the speaker at last week's CSW event put it: Let's be honest, when an eight-year-old has sex with a 20-something-year old, that's rape. It is child rape. It's something we cannot be okay with.
(...)

OH GOODY! - WE MUST spit in the face of Islam and invade a bunch of countries so we can FORCE our morality on different cultures and religions! What could possibly go wrong? :rolleyes:

Egypt Islamists say UN women’s rights declaration is threat to society

Egypt’s Muslim Brotherhood has warned that a UN document demanding global standards to prevent violence against women is un-Islamic and would lead to the “complete degradation of society.”

Governments and NGOs from around the world are to wrap up two weeks of discussions in New York on ways to end violence against women and children with the aim of reaching a consensus by Friday.

But the Muslim Brotherhood, from which President Mohamed Morsi hails, said the document includes articles “that contradict established principles of Islam, undermine Islamic ethics” and, if ratified, “would lead to the complete disintegration of society.”

The movement argued against imposing universal standards to fight violence against women and called on women’s organisations “to commit to their religion and the morals of their communities… and not be deceived with misleading calls for decadent modernisation and the path of subversive immorality.”

The Brotherhood’s statement is its clearest yet on women and their role in society — an issue the group had tried to skirt around since being thrust into power following a popular uprising in 2011.

The Brotherhood warned that “decadence awaits our world” should the UN document be signed.

It said it opposed 10 key points of the text, including “full equality in marriage legislation” and “cancelling the need for a husband’s consent in matters like travel, work or use of contraception.”

It slammed “granting wives full rights to file legal complaints against husbands accusing them of rape or sexual harassment” as well as “removing the authority of divorce from husbands and placing it in the hands of judges.”

The Brotherhood said the document provided society with “destructive tools to undermine the family,” including “granting girls full sexual freedom” and “providing contraceptives to adolescent girls and training them in their use.”

It also opposed the “full sharing of roles within the family between men and women, such as spending, childcare and domestic chores.”

It said the document’s provisions would “subvert society as a whole and drag it into pre-Islamic ignorance.”

Diplomats at the conference have said the Vatican, Iran and Russia are leading attempts to remove language from the final statement that says religion, custom or tradition must not be used as an excuse to avoid a government’s obligation to eliminate violence.

-t

Acala
03-15-2013, 08:51 AM
I have been told, but have no independent backing, that the percentage of people reporting happy marriages is about the same for arranged marriages as it is for "free" marriages. From which I conclude that nobody has it figured out.

RickyJ
03-15-2013, 08:57 AM
Millions of young men forced to marry these girls, oh the horror. Please, let's live and let live, leave people alone!

libertyjam
03-15-2013, 09:06 AM
this is something that as a global society we cannot tolerate.

Pushing more globalism from National Geographic, I shocked, shocked I tell you.

BAllen
03-15-2013, 09:09 AM
Global VAWA!

What happened to the wonders of diversity, and respecting other cultures?

erowe1
03-15-2013, 09:11 AM
How many children and teenage girls are ready for marriage? Yet the practice is shockingly prevalent:
Oh, it's "shockingly" prevalent. I guess that means we're supposed to be against it and think something has to be done about it. Looking forward to the rest of this unbiased article NG.

Driven largely by poverty and cultural traditions, such marriages are usually arranged by family members. The physical and emotional consequences can be life shattering, even fatal.
This is true of marriages in America too. In fact, I'd like to see the numbers. It might well be worse here.

Marriages can also be wonderful things. I wonder if this article is going to talk about all the good parts of these arranged marriages, like how much these women grow to love their husbands, who take good care of them, how much they love their kids, and how thankful they are not to be living well into their adulthood as single women not knowing if they'll ever be married.

I think the thing that we must acknowledge is that in most cases these young children do not want to be married. They want normal lives.
Show us the proof of what they want. And what does "normal" mean here? 21st century American? Because over human history, I think these kinds of marriages are pretty normal.

I'm not going to bother with the rest.

BAllen
03-15-2013, 09:20 AM
Show us the proof of what they want. And what does "normal" mean here? 21st century American? Because over human history, I think these kinds of marriages are pretty normal.

I'm not going to bother with the rest.

What they want will be dictated to them, as it is to the 'victims', here. They will tell the peasants what to be offended by, what to be pleased with, and who the perpetrators of their misery are.......namely, men.

Matt Collins
03-15-2013, 02:20 PM
Millions of young men forced to marry these girls, oh the horror. Please, let's live and let live, leave people alone!
The problem is that many of the girls are per-pubescent :(

James Madison
03-15-2013, 02:35 PM
For 200,000 years this was the norm. Now these idiots think they can undo all that instinct within a generation. Kids will keep having sex and they will keep having kids because that's how they're programmed. Only now those kids will grow up in single parent homes and the state can be the daddy. Woo! Freedom!

UWDude
03-15-2013, 02:55 PM
I have been told, but have no independent backing, that the percentage of people reporting happy marriages is about the same for arranged marriages as it is for "free" marriages. From which I conclude that nobody has it figured out.

Actually, it is much higher for arranged marriages.

Crazy huh? At first I thought this article must be about forced Lesbian marriages. ;)

What do you find most disturbing about child marriage?

Not a whole lot, honestly. Different culture and different traditions.
In America, 15 year olds with babies go on welfare and are doomed to poverty for the rest of their lives.
In India, 15 year olds with babies have had them in wedlock, and babies are great joys. The woman is considered more valuable if she can have children.

mad cow
03-15-2013, 03:26 PM
We could alleviate this problem with five or ten thousand drones and 50,000 boots on the ground.
Maybe 100,000 boots tops,I promise.

Or perhaps send them DVD's of the Maury Povich show so they could see what they are missing in their backward countries.

UWDude
03-15-2013, 04:55 PM
I keep seeing the push to make Muslim countries backwards and oppressive for their views on womens rights, and this makes me think the next chosen president is going to be a woman, maybe in eight years after a Republican is put in place for four years to disquiet the growing conspiracy and anti-government hysteria of the right.

This coincides with the story pushed for days about the girl shot by the Taleban for advocating schooling for girls. Tens of thousands have been brutally killed in Afghanistan, yet this girl got more coverage then all of them combined, and then some, in the MSM.

Warrior_of_Freedom
03-15-2013, 05:25 PM
HAHAHAHA. The UN has a problem with how other cultures deal with women. But the UN kills women and children with bombs. I guess it's worse to arrange a marriage than to blow somebody up.

alucard13mmfmj
03-15-2013, 08:24 PM
Question is.. what do you want us to do about it?... Cant intervene.

As sick and disgusting it may be to us, but it seems to be the norm for thousands of years for some cultures. It is up to them to change on their own.

awake
03-15-2013, 08:27 PM
Slavery parading as marriage. Evil always hides behind the mask of good.

alucard13mmfmj
03-15-2013, 08:53 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKAusMNTNnk

Apparently in Kyrgystan... They kidnap women to be brides. Like the guy and his friends kidnap a woman and force her to marry him. The guy's family help out too.

Christian Liberty
03-15-2013, 08:56 PM
I don't like the idea of arranged marriage, I think its morally wrong simply on freedom grounds. I think invading a country over it is even more wrong.

Tod
03-15-2013, 09:03 PM
Loretta Lynn got some good song material out of it, having gotten married at the ripe old age of 13. :rolleyes:

talkingpointes
03-15-2013, 09:06 PM
Who cares? Is Egypt the 51st state or our next target in the game of military adventurism.

green73
03-15-2013, 09:08 PM
Pushing more globalism from National Geographic, I shocked, shocked I tell you.
Yeah, Stopped reading at http://news.nationalgeographic

alucard13mmfmj
03-15-2013, 09:28 PM
I don't like the idea of arranged marriage, I think its morally wrong simply on freedom grounds. I think invading a country over it is even more wrong.

Yeah. Instead of having people being forced into marriage.. you have a lot of dead people ;(

heavenlyboy34
03-15-2013, 09:37 PM
Who cares? Is Egypt the 51st state or our next target in the game of military adventurism.
Israel is the 51st. ;) :(

heavenlyboy34
03-15-2013, 09:39 PM
Curiously missing from the article and the discussion here is the problem of Mormon children being forced to marry men (often multiple girls to the same husband). It seems to me the US regime needs to bugger out of this stupid cause as well. There are more than enough problems that have to be solved here.

UWDude
03-15-2013, 10:37 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKAusMNTNnk

Apparently in Kyrgystan... They kidnap women to be brides. Like the guy and his friends kidnap a woman and force her to marry him. The guy's family help out too.

I'm assuming you watched the whole thing?
First of all, the bride has to agree to marriage. Secondly, it looks like the family knew well she was going to be "kidnapped", since the families got together before the marriage for a feast.

The "kidnapping" is a traditional way for kids to let their parents know they want to get married.

tangent4ronpaul
03-16-2013, 12:47 AM
Loretta Lynn got some good song material out of it, having gotten married at the ripe old age of 13. :rolleyes:

That was pretty much the norm a century ago in THIS country... But they implemented child labor laws to keep kids in school and away from their family farms. It was the dawn of the industrial age, after all and we needed smarter workers.

Now that most of the countries manufacturing and industrial equipment has moved overseas due to "Free Trade"(sic) agreements, REGULATIONS, REGULATIONS, REGULATIONS and TAXES and UNIONS society has taken another major shift into a service economy. Surely that doesn't take as much schooling, maybe a 5th or 6th grade education? Basic reading, ability to make change...

Would you like some fries with that burger?

Maybe it would make more sense to roll back marriage being acceptable to the 11-15 range again? As recently as a couple of decades ago, there were states where the age of consent was 12-14, a handful of states, and that included getting married with parental consent.

Wouldn't it make more sense for kids to get knocked up and kick out some kittens BEFORE their asses get drafted to fight these endless wars? We need that cannon fodder!

Agricultural age
Industrial age
Service age
Systemic collapse

Weze on a perfect trajectory to become that new, backwards third world country!

-t

Philhelm
03-16-2013, 01:25 AM
The problem is that many of the girls are per-pubescent :(

But only 1/3 per-pubescent.

KrokHead
03-16-2013, 05:56 AM
Looks like those Degrassi kids are populating like mice!

abacabb
03-16-2013, 06:14 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDnO_yV_8mo
A more biased video I watched on TV in Vegas.

In the documentary posted previously, what we are seeing is a nomadic marital rite.

The girl and her friend were dressed real well and their hair was done up, anticipating the events that were about to occur. Ditto for the bride's parents preparing a feast.

The dramatic crying caught me off guard, but many Asians can be very dramatic when the situation calls for it, even when otherwise many are emotionally austere.

This marital rite is very strange and aggressive, but so is:
- Getting hammered in different bars and sleeping with a ton of different people
- Living with a bunch of different people and banging them.
- After going through birthdays, anniversaries, Valentine's Day and Xmas, meeting family, a 1.5 year engagement begins.
- Groom goes to Vegas and bangs prostitutes and snorts coke
- Get married at a church and have a lavish dinner at a golf club

That one was always weird with me to. Apparently, the kidnapping began years back where nomads were part of extended family clans and kidnapping was a means to avoid inbreeding and to enforce peace between peoples competing for lands. Now, it's just an odd way of courting that preserves the woman's honor, as any woman that gives herself too easily in that society is not considered "pure."

tangent4ronpaul
03-16-2013, 06:33 AM
Curiously missing from the article and the discussion here is the problem of Mormon children being forced to marry men (often multiple girls to the same husband). It seems to me the US regime needs to bugger out of this stupid cause as well. There are more than enough problems that have to be solved here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDnO_yV_8mo
A more biased video I watched on TV in Vegas.

In the documentary posted previously, what we are seeing is a nomadic marital rite.

The girl and her friend were dressed real well and their hair was done up, anticipating the events that were about to occur. Ditto for the bride's parents preparing a feast.

The dramatic crying caught me off guard, but many Asians can be very dramatic when the situation calls for it, even when otherwise many are emotionally austere.

This marital rite is very strange and aggressive, but so is:
- Getting hammered in different bars and sleeping with a ton of different people
- Living with a bunch of different people and banging them.
- After going through birthdays, anniversaries, Valentine's Day and Xmas, meeting family, a 1.5 year engagement begins.
- Groom goes to Vegas and bangs prostitutes and snorts coke
- Get married at a church and have a lavish dinner at a golf club

That one was always weird with me to. Apparently, the kidnapping began years back where nomads were part of extended family clans and kidnapping was a means to avoid inbreeding and to enforce peace between peoples competing for lands. Now, it's just an odd way of courting that preserves the woman's honor, as any woman that gives herself too easily in that society is not considered "pure."

-rep 37 POST "wonder" :rolleyes:

-t

UWDude
03-16-2013, 10:54 AM
It's amazing, the girls are held by a belief in a curse. They can leave, but they believe a curse will befall them if they do.