PDA

View Full Version : Univ. of Iowa engineering student shot and killed by police

rubioneocon
03-15-2013, 06:29 AM
I do not believe this has been reported in the forums yet, but it is the sort of thing
that regular contributors to the forum like Anti-Federalist would be reporting on when known.

Taleb Salameb, a 28 year old mechanical engineering student at the University of Iowa was shot
and killed by North Liberty, Iowa police after they responded to a domestic disturbance involving the
couple's child according to the morning Daily Iowan campus newspaper.

We are a bit surprised that this police shooting is not making a blip anywhere outside this campus
or it's campus newspaper, for surely we would have a major news story nationally if it was the other way around - i.e. guy with Arab sounding name shoots police instead of what occurred -
police shoot and kill UIowa engineering student . . . he was alone at the time as the child and mother had left the couple's residence before police arrived.

Aware of the over the top police response to everything in the Iowa City/Coralville/North Liberty
"metropolitan area" that is nestled around the University of Iowa campuses . . . which includes the North Libery Research Institute campus - it is perhaps easy to want to keep the national media away from this eastern Iowa University community.

We will try to give an update with further info as the morning edition of the student paper comes out,
surely a big win for the men's basketball team in the Big Ten tournament last night at the United Center venue in Chicago, and the Hawks will meet Michigan State tonight in the late quarterfinals game with an 8pm tipoff, hoping for the certain March Madness invite with a 22nd win.

But what about Taleb ? I wonder . . .

rubioneocon
03-15-2013, 09:07 AM
The Daily Iowan morning print edition Friday 03.15.2013 page 2

Mechanical engineering graduate student Taleb Salameh died after police responded
to a domestic-argument report at the Holiday Mobile Home Park in North liberty.

According to his obituary, family members said Salameh was a passionate and active young man.

"Taleb was a man who loved life, believed with strong conviction on much in this world, and acted with passion in his beliefs,"
the obituary said. "... He was extremely gifted with knowledge and was like a sponge soaking up more and more.
It would be hard to find someone that was more animated as an activist about civil and human rights.
He could figure out, fix it, and move on to the next challenge with anything mechanical.
But most of all, he was a man that loved his family, and was there for anyone of them anytime."

Salameh's former lab partner and friend Majid Emadi, recalled travelling to a number of conferences
with the 28-year old Salameh to present their research findings, including the
seventh-annual National Combustion Conference at Georgia Tech in 2010.

"I'm so happy that I had this chance to work with him. He was a great guy, and he was very kind," Emadi said.
"Honestly, if he hadn't been there with me, I wouldn't have been able to accomplish these (research) papers by 2012.
He was someone who was caring about his research. When I heard about the news, I was really shovcked. I still cannot believe it."