PDA

View Full Version : The Detroit uprising

shane77m
03-14-2013, 02:50 PM
http://motorcitymuckraker.com/2013/03/13/detroiters-pledge-uprising-during-state-takeover-make-sure-you-are-prepared-and-you-will-survive/

Councilman Kwame Kenyatta and a packed room of Detroiters warned today of an impending revolt against state intervention, urging residents to stock up on canned food and supplies.

“Even the Bloods in the hood fight for their territory,” Kenyatta said during a 20-minute monologue on the civil rights struggle at today’s city council meeting. “You are going to have to drag me out of here for me to leave.”

Kenyatta cited Frederick Douglass, a former slave who became an intellectual and civil rights icon, because of his position that black people must sacrifice their lives, if necessary, to win freedom and the right to vote. Many in the audience stood up and applauded.

One by one, Detroiters pledged to take to the streets once Gov. Rick Snyder appoints an emergency manager, which is expected Thursday or Friday. Others threatened to block the entrance of city hall.

“Save up and purchase food, canned goods and water because you are going to see a new civil rights movement,” pledged Marie Thornton, a former Detroit Public Schools Board member. “I won’t give up my right to vote. We are going to shut down freeways and we are going to disrupt the economic system.”

Added Valerie Glenn, a community activist: “Make sure you are prepared and you will survive.”

Protests so far have been nonviolent. Demonstrators slowed traffic to a few miles per hour on I-75 and I-94 in the past week. But that’s mild for what’s to come, some warned.

What about black Detroiters who aren’t prepared to fight?

“We have fought for everything we have; how do you sit on the sidelines?” Kenyatta asked.

Got tips or suggestions? Contact Steve at sneavling@gmail.com.

Steve Neavling is an investigative journalist, a freelance reporter for Reuters and former city hall reporter for the Detroit Free Press. Neavling explores corruption, the unsung heroes and the underbelly of an oft-misunderstood city.

Should be interesting to see people further destroy their home.

jkr
03-14-2013, 02:55 PM
do ebt credits roll over?

tod evans
03-14-2013, 02:56 PM
I say give 'em exactly what they claim to want..

Leave 'em alone.

No state or federal dollars in or out of Detroit.

See how well they actually do with freedom...

Hell I personally would love such an environment!

angelatc
03-14-2013, 03:02 PM
Kenyatta is a loudmouth council member who is probably living in fear that the EM will discover how corrupt the city council actually is.

Not that they won't have a tantrum, but if you look at the comments on the Facebook pages of the Detroit News stations, nobody except the council and apparently the news stations are upset about this. Most Detroiters seem to want someone...anyone....to come up with solutions.

I love how these people are screaming about Democracy, when that's exactly what they're getting. The majority ruling over the minority.

tod evans
03-14-2013, 03:05 PM
Most Detroiters seem to want someone...anyone....to come up with solutions.

"Solutions" is poli-speak for way to extract tax dollars from working Americans...

angelatc
03-14-2013, 03:08 PM
"Solutions" is poli-speak for way to extract tax dollars from working Americans...

Well. not many working people left in Detroit. But a lot of them do want state and federal money, but they certainly don't want to be accountable for it.

On a side note, Monica Conyers is out of jail and working at an autobody shop. Seriously, if my husband was in the US House, I'd stay the hell home when I got out of prison.

MoneyWhereMyMouthIs2
03-14-2013, 04:02 PM
“Even the Bloods in the hood fight for their territory,” Kenyatta said during a 20-minute monologue on the civil rights struggle at today’s city council meeting.

Seems inner city gangs, if nothing else, have done more to preserve their 2nd amendment rights than any of the patriot groups and such. They are mostly prohibited persons who refuse to disarm.

I'm not a fan of violence or gangs or drug prohibition, etc, but it is what it is. If everything breaks loose, they'll be much safer than the average suburbian with a single handgun and no allies.

Cowlesy
03-14-2013, 04:21 PM
Kenyatta said during a 20-minute monologue on the civil rights struggle at today’s city council meeting.

Stop RIGHT there.

Do not compare your inability to manage the city's checkbook, with the civil rights struggle.

QWDC
03-14-2013, 04:25 PM
So these people are going to be on the next Southern Poverty Law Center Extremist Watchdog List, right?

tod evans
03-14-2013, 04:30 PM
Stop RIGHT there.

Do not compare your inability to manage the city's checkbook, with the civil rights struggle.

Oh come on man!

It's folks like you who don't understand how hard it is for those folks...:rolleyes:

shane77m
03-14-2013, 04:39 PM
Maybe Eric Holder will ship some guns up there to help out.

amy31416
03-14-2013, 04:53 PM
Maybe they'll set the city on fire, force 100% evacuation and every one of them will leave the state.

P3ter_Griffin
03-14-2013, 06:45 PM
Why are they mad? Something the state or federal legislature did?

FSP-Rebel
03-14-2013, 07:05 PM
Yep, it was crickets on the biggest local talk station here when the host asking the opposition what their proposals were and if they were going to hold the people they voted for in the past, accountable. In other news, there were a dozen black hawk choppers flying over most of western Wayne Co (Detroit is on the east side) this afternoon and people were wondering wtf. In fact, earlier today I was posting from the pad and something was flying so low above the house that it shook. I couldn't see what it was but then I heard callers on the radio in the evening talking about the choppers going over Plymouth and then I was like, no way.. as I thought back to earlier.

seraphson
03-14-2013, 07:35 PM
Kenyatta is a loudmouth council member who is probably living in fear that the EM will discover how corrupt the city council actually is.

Not that they won't have a tantrum, but if you look at the comments on the Facebook pages of the Detroit News stations, nobody except the council and apparently the news stations are upset about this. Most Detroiters seem to want someone...anyone....to come up with solutions.

I love how these people are screaming about Democracy, when that's exactly what they're getting. The majority ruling over the minority.

It's only "Democracy" when it goes their way. If not they're more revealing of their seemingly inherent hypocritical way.

Mani
03-14-2013, 07:52 PM
Emergency management huh......so let's say there's a dollar crisis.....wouldn't it be a nice way for the state to take over every city since sooo many cities will be in a financial mess.....interesting.....

AGRP
03-14-2013, 08:04 PM
http://www.examiner.com/article/nearly-260-ghost-workers-on-the-detroit-public-schools-payroll

FSP-Rebel
03-14-2013, 08:11 PM
Just heard from someone down in this area that these protestors took to the streets by driving their cars real slow on highways going in and out of Detroit and this might even lead to riots coming up here depending on how things turn out. Perhaps this has something to do with the ratcheting up of the policing around here.

AGRP
03-14-2013, 08:19 PM
http://motorcitymuckraker.com/2013/03/13/detroiters-pledge-uprising-during-state-takeover-make-sure-you-are-prepared-and-you-will-survive/
Councilman Kwame Kenyatta and a packed room of Detroiters warned today of an impending revolt against state intervention, urging residents to stock up on canned food and supplies.

“Even the Bloods in the hood fight for their territory,” Kenyatta said during a 20-minute monologue on the civil rights struggle at today’s city council meeting. “You are going to have to drag me out of here for me to leave.”

Kenyatta cited Frederick Douglass, a former slave who became an intellectual and civil rights icon, because of his position that black people must sacrifice their lives, if necessary, to win freedom and the right to vote. Many in the audience stood up and applauded.

One by one, Detroiters pledged to take to the streets once Gov. Rick Snyder appoints an emergency manager, which is expected Thursday or Friday. Others threatened to block the entrance of city hall.

“Save up and purchase food, canned goods and water because you are going to see a new civil rights movement,” pledged Marie Thornton, a former Detroit Public Schools Board member. “I won’t give up my right to vote. We are going to shut down freeways and we are going to disrupt the economic system.”

Added Valerie Glenn, a community activist: “Make sure you are prepared and you will survive.”

Protests so far have been nonviolent. Demonstrators slowed traffic to a few miles per hour on I-75 and I-94 in the past week. But that’s mild for what’s to come, some warned.

What about black Detroiters who aren’t prepared to fight?

“We have fought for everything we have; how do you sit on the sidelines?” Kenyatta asked.

Got tips or suggestions? Contact Steve at sneavling@gmail.com.

Steve Neavling is an investigative journalist, a freelance reporter for Reuters and former city hall reporter for the Detroit Free Press. Neavling explores corruption, the unsung heroes and the underbelly of an oft-misunderstood city.

So these people are going to be on the next Southern Poverty Law Center Extremist Watchdog List, right?

Seems like they are preparing to go to war. Youre right. How on earth could the SPLC miss an entire city? Everyone else is on their list.

TywinLannister
03-14-2013, 08:54 PM
Flamethrowers are the best way to deal with these animals.

Pericles
03-14-2013, 09:36 PM

HAHA you funny!

tod evans
03-16-2013, 06:05 AM
So was this all just more blather?