PDA

View Full Version : UT - Cop who wrote a false warrant resulting in a SWAT raid gets 20 HOUR suspension.

Anti Federalist
03-13-2013, 04:15 PM
Explanation?

WTF is there to explain, Mundanes?

Your gibbering fear of "druggies" and "Moos-lims" combined with an utter and total compliance with and obedience toward "authority", have turned a once (semi) free nation into a prison/police state.

You were just some collateral damage in the War on Us that rages every day.

Salt Lake City police discipline detective for raid on wrong house

By nate carlisle

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/news/55875924-78/lake-salt-landvatter-police.html.csp

The Salt Lake City police detective responsible for a SWAT team ramming the door of a wrong house last year and pointing guns at the elderly woman inside also misled the judge who issued the search warrant, according to documents released by the city.

The narcotics detective, Cooper Landvatter, received a 20-hour suspension for violating search-and-seizure policies, committing conduct unbecoming an officer, and violating what the Salt Lake City Police Department refers to as its "Core Values."

"The damage to your reputation as a professional and the collective reputation of the department is not easily repaired," Salt Lake City Police Chief Chris Burbank wrote in the discipline letter to Landvatter.

Landvatter apparently confused the home where he suspected residents were selling cocaine with the house next door, according to a report by the Salt Lake City Civilian Review Board. The search warrant had the correct address. But Landvatter conducted surveillance and took photographs of the house next door.

The photographs of the wrong house were shown to the SWAT team in a briefing before the raid. No one noticed the house number visible in the photos did not match the address listed on the search warrant.

When police forced their way into the home in the 200 East block of Hubbard Avenue (935 South) and found only a 76-year-old woman inside, they quickly realized their mistake. The woman was not injured.

But the woman’s attorney, Stephen Clark, said she has been afraid to return to her home. The city offered to fix the door, Clark said, but has made no other offers and has not answered his requests for information about what went wrong.

"The family doesn’t want to have to sue the city," Clark said. "The family doesn’t want to have to sue these officers. The family wants an explanation."

An agent from the U.S. Drug Enforcement Administration was present on the raid. Clark said he also has made requests to the U.S. attorney for Utah about the episode but has received no response. No lawsuits have been filed.

Internal-affairs investigators also found a problem with what Landvatter told the judge who issued the search warrant. Landvatter wrote in an affidavit to the judge that he watched an informant buy drugs from the suspect’s home.

tod evans
03-13-2013, 04:20 PM
There must be a way to stop these "no-knock" home invasions...

Claymores built into all front doors?

amy31416
03-13-2013, 04:35 PM
There must be a way to stop these "no-knock" home invasions...

Claymores built into all front doors?

Not a good idea if you have kids or anyone who's absent-minded living with you.

tod evans
03-13-2013, 04:38 PM
Not a good idea if you have kids or anyone who's absent-minded living with you.

'Twas satire...:o

phill4paul
03-13-2013, 04:45 PM
Christ, another idiot that just wants an explanation and apology. Would I have grounds for a lawsuit against someone that doesn't exercise their rights thus putting me in jeopardy by encouraging this behavior?

cheapseats
03-13-2013, 04:46 PM
By contrast, Christopher Dorner was fired...his law enforcement career ruined...for allegedly filing a false report (which a beaten boy's dad corroborated, it always bears mentioning).

anaconda
03-13-2013, 04:50 PM
Explanation?

WTF is there to explain, Mundanes?

Your gibbering fear of "druggies" and "Moos-lims" combined with an utter and total compliance with and obedience toward "authority", have turned a once (semi) free nation into a prison/police state.

You were just some collateral damage in the War on Us that rages every day.

I still think we should have an activist group to address selected incidences like these. Why doesn't the ACLU make a business of going after a few of these? It would probably help their annual donations significantly.

amy31416
03-13-2013, 05:01 PM
'Twas satire...:o

:p I know. It's just that I've thought about how to give myself enough time to protect myself against raids while not injuring myself or anyone else. The best I can come up with is hardcore doors--bank vault-style.

tod evans
03-13-2013, 05:09 PM
I still think we should have an activist group to address selected incidences like these. Why doesn't the ACLU make a business of going after a few of these? It would probably help their annual donations significantly.

Fuck the ACLU, and NORML too!

Neither group wants to be associated with folks who have been accused of "drug" crimes...[Although NORMAL will sometimes help if it's only weed and if there are headlines involved]

I'd like to see a group of lawyers licensed to practice in federal court start filing on every single one of these "no-knock", BS, home invasions...A group with enough clout to financially ruin every town, every mayor, every judge and every cop involved...

I'd donate time and money to further that cause..

EBounding
03-13-2013, 05:31 PM
If I as an individual, 'accidentally' busted this family's door down looking for drugs and pointed my gun at grandma, would the family simply want an explanation from me?

phill4paul
03-13-2013, 05:35 PM
Fuck the ACLU, and NORML too!

Neither group wants to be associated with folks who have been accused of "drug" crimes...[Although NORMAL will sometimes help if it's only weed and if there are headlines involved]

I'd like to see a group of lawyers licensed to practice in federal court start filing on every single one of these "no-knock", BS, home invasions...A group with enough clout to financially ruin every town, every mayor, every judge and every cop involved...

Indeed.

jkr
03-13-2013, 05:40 PM
vaCCation DAYZ!

loOong w33kEnd!

anaconda
03-13-2013, 06:21 PM

OK. This is good. How can we do this? Do we need to persuade a leader to help us? Ron Paul? Tom Woods? Etc.

tod evans
03-13-2013, 06:33 PM
OK. This is good. How can we do this? Do we need to persuade a leader to help us? Ron Paul? Tom Woods? Etc.

It's pretty much career suicide for any lawyer to take on so old and ornery would be a good start...

Yes getting Ron Paul to back this would hands down be the cats ass!

Obviously big money would be required, anybody caught investigating can count on being locked up at best...

anaconda
03-13-2013, 08:34 PM
Obviously big money would be required, anybody caught investigating can count on being locked up at best...

Couldn't these local yokles be taken down for a few tens of thousands per incident assuming pro bono lawyer work?

tod evans
03-14-2013, 05:25 AM
Couldn't these local yokles be taken down for a few tens of thousands per incident assuming pro bono lawyer work?

Possible?

I have no idea what type of bond would be required to free an investigator who investigated "outrageous government misconduct" or the like.....[I]just [/B]got arrested]

The tricksters in the "Just-Us" department have more aces up their sleeves than I can fathom..