PDA

View Full Version : TX-Garland cops figure it's "policy" to rummage around in people's stuff.

Anti Federalist
03-13-2013, 04:03 PM
Videos are supposed to be embedded at the link, but they did not come up for me, maybe somebody else can view them...

Surveillance cameras capture Garland police rummaging through homeowner's bag, searching car

http://www.dallasnews.com/news/crime/headlines/20130307-surveillance-cameras-capture-garland-police-rummaging-through-homeowner-s-bag-searching-car.ece

By TANYA EISERER

Staff Writer

Published: 07 March 2013 02:46 PM

The surveillance cameras at a Garland home captured something unexpected: Police officers rummaging through duffle bags, searching a car parked in the front driveway and turning a surveillance camera in his back yard.

In early February, the officers were looking for Jon Locke’s brother, Christopher, a convicted felon with an arrest warrant accusing him of fraud. Jon Locke says his brother doesn’t live with him and he and his wife are upset that police officers took it upon themselves to conduct searches on his property without permission.

“I just want an apology,” said Jon Locke, 32.

Joe Harn, a Garland police spokesman, declined to comment, citing the ongoing internal affairs investigation. But a Garland police internal affairs investigator who met with the family told the Locke’s that he did not have a problem with the actions the officers took and also acknowledged that he thought one of the officers had opened an unlocked back door to look into the house.

George Dix, a University of Texas at Austin law professor and authority on criminal procedure, said the actions of the Garland officers appears to run afoul of the Constitution’s Fourth Amendment’s protections.

“I continue to think the officers unreasonably searched the vehicle[s] and duffle bags,” Dix said. “The manipulation of and damage to the camera was, in my view, an unreasonable seizure.”

Dix also said he believed that opening the door would also be a search and might be reasonable if there was reason to believe a dangerous person inside, “but nothing in the facts suggest this was the case.”

“Whatever Garland ‘policy’ may be, I think the Fourth Amendment was violated,” Dix said.

According to video surveillance footage, one Garland police officer walks up to the door about 12:15 p.m. on February 5. No one answers and the officer then walks over duffle bags sitting in front of the home. The officers opens up the duffle bags and examines documents he finds inside of them.

Afterward, the officer knocks on the front door again before walking over to the car parked in the driveway. He goes back up the front door and then walks around the side of the house.

Other footage shows the second officer checking out the back of the house. About 12:19 p.m., he walks over to one of Locke’s cameras and turns it to face the wall, breaking the fixed mount.

About 12:22 p.m. the first officer returns to the car and opens up the driver’s side of the car. He checks out the interior of the truck and examines papers he finds in the car before shutting the door.

The officer then examines the contents of the duffle bag, writing down information he finds on paperwork inside one of the bags.

Around that time, Locke’s wife arrived home. The footage then shows her talking to the two officers and even allowing them inside the house to look around.

The Locke’s also provided The Dallas Morning News recordings of their meetings with Garland police internal investigators.

The investigator told the Lockes during that subsequent meeting that he believed the officer opened the door because he thought someone might be inside.

He said he didn’t think the officer entered the house.

“If he opened the door enough just to stick his head in and make a real quick cursory look to make sure somebody wasn’t in here and then shut the door, then he’s perfectly within policy,” the investigator said. “He’s perfectly within what officer safety would tell him to do.”

It is unclear why the officer would need to open the door to look inside when he could see through a window into the home.

“I still find the argument for opening the door at all very weak. Why would officer safety justify a limited entry to check the kitchen but not to check other places in the house where dangerous persons might be?” Dix said.

For their part, the Locke’s remain convinced that the officer went inside.

Dix the said the U.S. Supreme Court Court has rejected the notion that there are minor searches that don’t really count. The court concluded that a search is a search.

“The basis of Fourth Amendment law is that officers are not entitled invade citizens interests and rights on the basis of purely fishing expeditions,” Dix said.

Locke, whose family has lived on that street since 1993, has now decided to sell the house and plan to move outside of Garland.

His brother has since been arrested and been released on bond.

belian78
03-13-2013, 04:06 PM
I just want an apology!?!?!? OMFG!!!!! I'd be after that cop's job!!

phill4paul
03-13-2013, 04:09 PM
I'd like him to stick his head in through my door unannounced. Officer safety indeed.

Expatriate
03-13-2013, 04:23 PM
"Officer safety" says cops should enter private homes illegally without announcing themselves? That's idiotic.

They're much more likely to end up in situations dangerous to them and everyone else in the area if they do this.

satchelmcqueen
03-13-2013, 04:48 PM
so if i stick my head in someones door its ok?

satchelmcqueen
03-13-2013, 04:49 PM
i say we should be able to do what the cops do in our private lives towards them...ya know, like it should be? maybe some of this shit would stop. but itll never happen.

camp_steveo
03-13-2013, 04:51 PM
'Officer safety' is a coward's argument for failing to uphold the oath to protect the US Constitution.

jkr
03-13-2013, 05:43 PM
that IS the "POLICEy" of most theives

enjerth
03-13-2013, 05:51 PM
We just want to make it easy on them. Being a cop is an unforgiving job, sometimes. But we know it's easier for them to ask for forgiveness than for permission.

So all we want is a little apology.

Anti Federalist
03-14-2013, 02:50 PM
Bump for Mrs. AF

heavenlyboy34
03-14-2013, 03:01 PM
so if i stick my head in someones door its ok?
Only if you put on a cop costume first.

AFPVet
03-14-2013, 03:28 PM
When I was a cop, officer safety was also paramount... but that just meant that you shouldn't be doing things that will place you or other officers in jeopardy. It is not an excuse to do whatever you wish—including using deadly force whenever you please.

Officer safety is about risk perception, subject action, and officer response. If he heard someone say 'help' or something like that, it would be a different story; however, you can't just barge into a domicile without a warrant or the necessary components for a warrantless search. My guess is that he wanted to sniff around for pot.

Bern
03-14-2013, 03:47 PM
Did they have a search warrant?

aGameOfThrones
03-14-2013, 03:54 PM
"Though the police are honest and their aims worthy, history shows they are not appropriate guardians of the privacy which the Fourth Amendment protects."~Jones v. United States, 362 U.S. 257, 273(1959)

Haha!

devil21
03-14-2013, 04:21 PM
I saw the video. The cop even goes so far as to turn the man's front door surveillance camera to point at the wall so it couldn't record what they were doing at the front door.

aGameOfThrones
03-14-2013, 04:47 PM
I saw the video. The cop even goes so far as to turn the man's front door surveillance camera to point at the wall so it couldn't record what they were doing at the front door.

It was for the officer's...

•_•)

( •_•)>⌐■-■

(⌐■_■)

Safety!

angelatc
03-14-2013, 05:41 PM
When I was a cop, officer safety was also paramount...

So let me ask you about this:

“If he opened the door enough just to stick his head in and make a real quick cursory look to make sure somebody wasn’t in here and then shut the door, then he’s perfectly within policy,” the investigator said. “He’s perfectly within what officer safety would tell him to do.”

I am pretty sure that just sticking your head in a door isn't the approved way to safely enter a residence, is it? Seems like a good way to get your head blown off.

AFPVet
03-14-2013, 06:48 PM
So let me ask you about this:

I am pretty sure that just sticking your head in a door isn't the approved way to safely enter a residence, is it? Seems like a good way to get your head blown off.

Indeed... and that is the point I was making. Officer safety is about avoiding situations that would endanger yourself or other officers. A peace officer would avoid getting into something unless someone else's life was in danger and he/she had to act. Officer safety is no different than what an armed citizen would do. You wouldn't jump into shit if you didn't have to; however, you would jump into action if someone was beating the shit out of a woman or raping her.

Peaking your head in where it doesn't belong is not officer safety.

When I was a cop, officer safety was also paramount... but that just meant that you shouldn't be doing things that will place you or other officers in jeopardy. It is not an excuse to do whatever you wish—including using deadly force whenever you please.

Officer safety is about risk perception, subject action, and officer response. If he heard someone say 'help' or something like that, it would be a different story; however, you can't just barge into a domicile without a warrant or the necessary components for a warrantless search. My guess is that he wanted to sniff around for pot.

donnay
03-14-2013, 08:21 PM
'Officer safety' is a coward's argument for failing to uphold the oath to protect the US Constitution.

Yes it is like the two words government uses; "National Security". So they do not have to inform the people or do what they will and damn the Constitution.

I am just waiting for the people to say enough is enough?

donnay
03-14-2013, 08:24 PM
Bump for Mrs. AF

Sweetie I beat you to it. http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?407370-4th-Amendment-We-Don%E2%80%99t-Need-No-Stinkin%E2%80%99-4th-Amendment

;)

AGRP
03-14-2013, 08:24 PM
Officer safety.

donnay
03-14-2013, 10:00 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pq28qCklEHc

:D

timosman
10-25-2017, 09:19 PM
West Side Story was ahead of its time. :cool:

Weston White
10-25-2017, 10:12 PM
What is this? Do these morans view their oath similarly to a prom date promise?

Anti Federalist
10-25-2017, 10:34 PM
And four years later, the band plays on....