PDA

View Full Version : Bill curbing surveillance drones passes committee

sailingaway
03-13-2013, 12:13 PM
Not sure if this is the FLorida bill or national-- I'm thinking Florida:

TALLAHASSEE — A bill that would restrict the use of surveillance drones was unanimously approved by the Senate Judiciary Committee Tuesday, amid signs that law-enforcement objections to it may be easing.

The bill (SB 92) would allow law enforcement to use the small, quiet unmanned drones only if they obtain a warrant from a judge, if a person's life or property is believed to be in danger, or if the Department of Homeland Security declares a terrorist threat. Citizens who feel they have been wrongfully spied upon can file a civil action lawsuit against law enforcement.

http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/2013-03-12/news/os-surveillance-drone-limits-20130312_1_small-drones-surveillance-drones-unwarranted-surveillance-act

Boeing is trying to kill a similar bill right now in Washington state, as I understand it.

MoneyWhereMyMouthIs2
03-13-2013, 12:24 PM
The bill (SB 92) would allow law enforcement to use the small, quiet unmanned drones only if they obtain a warrant from a judge

I'm encouraged, but judges hand out warrants like candy. We know where they always side.

if a person's life or property is believed to be in danger

According to whom?

or if the Department of Homeland Security declares a terrorist threat

They think EVERYTHING is a threat, especially citizens.

Citizens who feel they have been wrongfully spied upon can file a civil action lawsuit against law enforcement.

That sounds like something, but I imagine that will happen after the police clear themselves of wrongdoing. Not to mention, I'm pretty sure police will testify on behalf of the police department.

I have mixed feelings. Really, this sounds like fake concern, and fake action.