PDA

View Full Version : Koch Brothers eye L.A. Times, other Tribune newspapers

eating_nachos
03-13-2013, 08:58 AM
Charles and David Koch, two of the world's richest men, are interested in Tribune's newspaper assets, which include the Los Angeles Times and the Chicago Tribune, according to sources familiar with situation. Earlier on Tuesday, L.A. Weekly reported that the Koch brothers were rumored to be interested in either all of the Tribune company, which includes 23 TV stations and national cable network WGN American, or the Tribune newspapers. The report also cited "another rumor" from a Los Angeles Times editorial board member that the Koch brothers are helping U-T San Diego newspaper owner Doug Manchester finance a bid.

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2013-03-12/business/sns-rt-us-tribune-kochbrothersbre92c031-20130312_1_koch-brothers-koch-industries-aaron-kushner

FrankRep
03-13-2013, 09:14 AM
Koch Industries donated money to Rand Paul

http://www.opensecrets.org/politicians/summary.php?cid=N00030836&cycle=Career

itshappening
03-13-2013, 09:30 AM
Charles and David Koch should have dinner with Rand Paul and Rand should make it clear that as president he intends to gut the EPA allowing Koch industries to be even more profitable.

eating_nachos
03-13-2013, 09:32 AM
It would be pretty cool if this happens. The media is pretty much dominated by liberals, this move would tilt it slightly to our side.

compromise
03-13-2013, 10:54 AM
Great news. Hopefully they pick one of these up.

brushfire
03-13-2013, 11:08 AM
Chicago papers are going for a song... Chicago is the epicenter of the political evil we see today. I may regret saying this, but hopefully Koch's will take a big bite out of the Chicago media machine. We had a gun owner rally of nearly 8000 people and the media hasnt said a word. Workers/staffers in Springfield say its, hands down, the largest rally they've seen - every year. Father Pfleger has 50 kids pretend they're dead in the street and the media covers it for days...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pSEUQHmSv9U

angelatc
03-13-2013, 03:43 PM
That would be awesome.

VoluntaryAmerican
03-13-2013, 11:41 PM
Looking forward to this... it would be interesting to see a libertarian-ish news media preaching to the California audiences. Hell, I might even try to get a job out there, if that were the case.

anaconda
03-14-2013, 12:50 AM
Charles and David Koch should have dinner with Rand Paul and Rand should make it clear that as president he intends to gut the EPA allowing Koch industries to be even more profitable.

After one gets past the top "1%" type companies/industries lobbying congress for favors, wouldn't that leave a vast quantity of small to medium to even large companies that would prefer a level playing field that a President Paul could help bring about? and that could conceivably contribute vast sums collectively to the campaign?

cindy25
03-14-2013, 01:15 AM
a good move but newspapers have far less influence than before

hope they also buy the papers of Obama croney Buffett

PatriotOne
03-14-2013, 07:17 AM
What do they know that we don't? Isn't that kind of like buying a typewriter manufacturing company in the 80's?

FrankRep
03-14-2013, 07:23 AM
a good move but newspapers have far less influence than before

What do they know that we don't? Isn't that kind of like buying a typewriter manufacturing company in the 80's?

The website also comes with the newspaper

brushfire
03-14-2013, 07:50 AM

It is significant - believe me. I see the papers as dinosaurs, but they control other media outlets as well (including online content). Also, many of the older voters (read most voters) still rely on these dinosaurs for their political "decision support".

PatriotOne
03-14-2013, 07:59 AM
The website also comes with the newspaper

I guess there would be value in buying up the name recognition. Just seems cheaper to start their own websites but then if I was smarter than Koch's I would be a trillionaire :p.

eating_nachos
03-14-2013, 08:20 AM

It's not just newspapers. These companies also own websites and ,I believe, 20+ TV stations.

I guess you haven't noticed but liberals dominate the television and newspaper industry and work to undermine libertarians and conservative. Tilting some these outlets in our favor would make it easier to get our message across.

T.hill
04-02-2013, 11:54 PM
In Wisconsin the Koch Brother's are demonized, they were especially demonized during the 2011 Teacher Union protests and during the re-call effort against Scott Walker. I had no idea at that time they had libertarian-leanings, are they considered allies?

messana
04-03-2013, 01:29 AM

I wonder how 'libertarian' they really are when it comes to environment and energy policy.

Koch industries aren't in bed with big government? I find that hard to believe.