PDA

View Full Version : Law Enforcement conducting traps/stings attempting to purchase guns from you...

Reason
03-13-2013, 02:36 AM
Just wow...

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2013/03/foghorn/rumors-of-cook-county-sherriff-setting-up-private-party-firearm-sales-stings/

From ARFCOM (http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_8_23/519611_BEWARE_OF_THE_COOK_COUNRY_SHERIFF_The_Games _Have_Begun.html):
I had a rifle on armslist that I was looking to dump, nothing important. When I received a email from a buyer telling me they wanted to purchase the rifle. We exchanged phone numbers. I received a text last friday asking me to meet the buyer. I was working, but wasn’t busy.
They wanted to meet in Oak Park, I said NO WAY.
They recommended a different spot. I agreed, the Portillos on Roosevelt and DesPlanes. There is a gun range a couple of blocks from there that I thought would be a better place but, it was Friday and I was more afraid of rush hour then I was of the location.
Long story short, it smelled and looked wrong. the car was a pick up with black windows. I’m thinking gangbanger. When I pull up two guys get out of the car, but they are both older white guys. They didn’t match the car. They look over the rifle, but when it comes time to sign the paper work, the guy doesn’t have a FOID card. He tells me he has a domestic arrest.
I tell him I can’t sell him the rifle, he offers more money, I reject his offer. He keeps try. I keep saying NO.
Next thing I know, there are 50 cops surrounding me, they are searching my car, and handcuffing me and toss me in the back of a car.
Within 15 minutes I’m in the Maywood sheriff station. They are asking where I live, how many guns do I own, how many I’ve sold. The experience was rough and distressing. I didn’t want to answer any questions.
All I can think is that I’m in handcuffs for some reason, did I break a law I wasn’t aware of. If I answer a question wrong I end up in a jump suit.
Turns out, I didn’t break any laws. They want me to give them information that I didn’t have. I almost had a heart attack. I walked out an hour later with my rifle.
What the bloody hell was that. Is this how we threat citizens when political fortunes are on the line. It took me a week before I had the nerve to post on this site. I use be mad at people who refused to sell to cook county residents. Now I understand, its not worth it.
How native was I, be-careful. FTF is hard enough without having to worry about bogus stings.

Kotin
03-13-2013, 02:47 AM
Wow.

tod evans
03-13-2013, 05:14 AM
Replace "gun" with "drugs".............Same ol' shit by the same ol' cops..

Apparently the prisons aren't full enough and there must be a new class of "criminal"..:mad:

mrsat_98
03-13-2013, 05:35 AM
I think I would copy all the emails and write a narrative in affidavit form with a judical notice of the computer fraud law in your state and drop a copy at the DA's office, the clerks office and hand deliver a copy to the judges office. Then add one for malfeasence of office ( omitting to do their duty ) adding that you have read and understand that one, then be damm careful for the next few months. Also CC it to your state supreme court and the USSC.

Kotin
03-13-2013, 05:42 AM
I know many people who buy guns on places like Armslist and Texas Gun Trader.. I wonder how prevalent this is if at all in TX??

tod evans
03-13-2013, 05:43 AM
It's been affirmed time and again that cops can commit crimes in order to pressure or lure a suspect into prosecutable behavior..

"Just-Us"...........

tod evans
03-13-2013, 05:45 AM
I know many people who buy guns on places like Armslist and Texas Gun Trader.. I wonder how prevalent this is if at all in TX??

:eek:

Any and all transactions done leaving digital evidence must be completely above board..

Take no chance!

dancjm
03-13-2013, 06:11 AM
Just wow...

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2013/03/foghorn/rumors-of-cook-county-sherriff-setting-up-private-party-firearm-sales-stings/

From ARFCOM (http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_8_23/519611_BEWARE_OF_THE_COOK_COUNRY_SHERIFF_The_Games _Have_Begun.html):
I had a rifle on armslist that I was looking to dump, nothing important. When I received a email from a buyer telling me they wanted to purchase the rifle. We exchanged phone numbers. I received a text last friday asking me to meet the buyer. I was working, but wasn’t busy.
They wanted to meet in Oak Park, I said NO WAY.
They recommended a different spot. I agreed, the Portillos on Roosevelt and DesPlanes. There is a gun range a couple of blocks from there that I thought would be a better place but, it was Friday and I was more afraid of rush hour then I was of the location.
Long story short, it smelled and looked wrong. the car was a pick up with black windows. I’m thinking gangbanger. When I pull up two guys get out of the car, but they are both older white guys. They didn’t match the car. They look over the rifle, but when it comes time to sign the paper work, the guy doesn’t have a FOID card. He tells me he has a domestic arrest.
I tell him I can’t sell him the rifle, he offers more money, I reject his offer. He keeps try. I keep saying NO.
Next thing I know, there are 50 cops surrounding me, they are searching my car, and handcuffing me and toss me in the back of a car.
Within 15 minutes I’m in the Maywood sheriff station. They are asking where I live, how many guns do I own, how many I’ve sold. The experience was rough and distressing. I didn’t want to answer any questions.
All I can think is that I’m in handcuffs for some reason, did I break a law I wasn’t aware of. If I answer a question wrong I end up in a jump suit.
Turns out, I didn’t break any laws. They want me to give them information that I didn’t have. I almost had a heart attack. I walked out an hour later with my rifle.
What the bloody hell was that. Is this how we threat citizens when political fortunes are on the line. It took me a week before I had the nerve to post on this site. I use be mad at people who refused to sell to cook county residents. Now I understand, its not worth it.
How native was I, be-careful. FTF is hard enough without having to worry about bogus stings.

Well done for a) Not breaking the law, and b) not speaking to the police.

Must have been intimidating, but you did everything right.

MoneyWhereMyMouthIs2
03-13-2013, 07:22 AM
1. Stay out of Illinois

2. When this happens...

Long story short, it smelled and looked wrong. the car was a pick up with black windows. I’m thinking gangbanger. When I pull up two guys get out of the car, but they are both older white guys. They didn’t match the car.

Keep on driving. If something smells funny, don't even hand them your firearm to start with.

Pericles
03-13-2013, 10:00 AM
My policy is to buy guns. I don't sell guns.

seapilot
03-13-2013, 10:08 AM
Replace "gun" with "drugs".............Same ol' shit by the same ol' cops..

Apparently the prisons aren't full enough and there must be a new class of "criminal"..:mad:

Now MJ is getting legal in some states, expect the focus going from busting drug pushers to private firearms sellers.

tod evans
03-13-2013, 10:10 AM
Now MJ is getting legal in some states, expect the focus going from busting drug pushers to private firearms sellers.

I have a feeling "they'll" prosecute both just as often as possible...:mad:

libertyjam
03-13-2013, 10:17 AM

Number one there is no such BS as a "FOID". Number two no registration of any kind, no paperwork, private one-off sales are private. You cannot knowingly sell to someone who is not allowed to possess, sell more than a certain amount you could be labeled a 'dealer, etc. yada.

And if you want it any other way then stuff it.

ninepointfive
03-13-2013, 10:18 AM
So the guy does the "right thing", and doesn't sell it - and he's still arrested and brought in. What a waste.

Shall Not Be Infringed

belian78
03-13-2013, 10:20 AM
Number one there is no such BS as a "FOID". Number two no registration of any kind, no paperwork, private one-off sales are private. You cannot knowingly sell to someone who is not allowed to possess, sell more than a certain amount you could be labeled a 'dealer, etc. yada.

And if you want it any other way then stuff it.
In IL there most certainly is a FOID card that you have to have in order to buy/own guns/ammo. As wrong as it is, it's the way it is in the lovely land of lincoln.

Grubb556
03-13-2013, 10:21 AM
Why are sting operations like this even legal ?

ninepointfive
03-13-2013, 10:25 AM
Why are sting operations like this even legal ?

I was watching TV and saw on cops, a sting set up to sell any drug the user wanted.

For even dime bags of weed, the cops said they were going to be arrested, their property seized (in this case their vehicle) and that the driver could purchase it back from the cops if they wanted to, because the department now owns their vehicle.

bolil
03-13-2013, 10:34 AM

If anything legalization (actually requires a recreational use license) will result in more drug users seeing cages. If your state legalizes stipulating the acquisition of a license don't get involved. You will see, DWI in Colorado are going to go through the roof. Having the license gives the cops probable cause to take your blood. If you have even a very small amount of thc in your system, your getting a DWI or public intoxication charge.

I know where that portillos is, and where that gun range is. This happened practically in my backyard. Berwyn or North Riverside IL. The truck the pigs were in was probably a seizure.

libertyjam
03-13-2013, 10:41 AM
In IL there most certainly is a FOID card that you have to have in order to buy/own guns/ammo. As wrong as it is, it's the way it is in the lovely land of lincoln.

He was asking about TX. not IL, we all know how bad it is in that state.
PS. the You in the last sentence was directed not at the asker but a generic all encompassing you.

belian78
03-13-2013, 10:56 AM
Ah.. now I see. I'll show myself out now. LOL