PDA

View Full Version : Arizona assault rifle purchase by Giffords' husband triggers outcry

aGameOfThrones
03-12-2013, 08:39 PM
PHOENIX (Reuters) - The husband of Gabrielle Giffords, who with his wife is a top campaigner for curbs to military-style weapon ownership, has drawn criticism for buying an assault rifle in Arizona, a purchase he said meant to highlight the need for gun control.

Former astronaut Mark Kelly, who with Giffords founded a new lobbying group this year to curb gun violence, said it took only "a matter of minutes" to complete the background check for the AR-15 assault weapon he purchased at a gun shop in Tucson.

"Scary to think of people buying guns like these without a background check at a gun show or the Internet," he wrote in a posting on his Facebook account. "We really need to close the gun show and private seller loop hole."

News of his purchase was quickly met with stinging rebukes from gun rights supporters on social media, who called Kelly a hypocrite for buying the gun in the first place.

"What a two faced coward you are Kelly - it's ok for you to own one and protect your family but not the rest of us?" one Facebook poster wrote.

The group founded by Kelly and Giffords, Americans for Responsible Solutions, is pushing for a ban on high-powered semiautomatic weapons like the AR-15 rifle that he bought, as well as high-capacity magazines.

http://news.yahoo.com/arizona-assault-rifle-purchase-giffords-husband-triggers-outcry-014934095.html

cjm
03-12-2013, 09:59 PM
I guess a headline that says, "Man in Arizona Buys Rifle" wouldn't sell many papers.

phx420
03-12-2013, 10:01 PM
deep down in his heart he knows the politics doesn't mean shit if his wife faces a gun threat again, he's going to put that ar 15 to work

Cleaner44
03-12-2013, 10:06 PM
I suspect he is too much of a pussy to tell his wife that he is pro-guns.

kcchiefs6465
03-12-2013, 10:07 PM
deep down in his heart he knows the politics doesn't mean shit if his wife faces a gun threat again, he's going to put that ar 15 to work
Then why the fuck doesn't he say as much?

I couldn't care less about the fact he bought it; Let the people know why you bought it. 'Oh, it's to show how easy it is'- gtfoh. You are one of the most well known people of the state. Send in a felon if that's the publicity you were aiming for. No, he bought the rifle for himself and got caught. Can't even admit that much, probably even to himself.

Carson
03-12-2013, 10:22 PM
Wouldn't it be something if Brady was still able to defend himself.

amy31416
03-13-2013, 03:41 AM
I recall reading that Giffords was pro-2nd Amendment prior to her brain damage. Now she's just being used as a pawn, as far as I can tell.