PDA

View Full Version : National Review: Rand Paul’s Big Fight for Soul of GOP on Foreign Policy

tsai3904
03-12-2013, 04:09 PM
Rand Paul’s Big Fight

Paul says McCain is “too personal,” and America is ready to come home.

Senator Rand Paul chuckles at the recent attacks on him by Senator John McCain. “I try to not make it personal, and sometimes [McCain] makes it too personal,” he says in a candid interview in National Review’s Washington office, fresh off his star-turn in a filibuster last week.

McCain and Lindsey Graham, the foreign-policy grandees in the Senate Republican conference, have dismissed Paul’s libertarian views on national security as the “ill informed” posture of one of the party’s “wacko birds.”

Paul has no problem with McCain engaging in debate, “but I think if you’re going to debate, it’s better to leave names out,” he says. “I spoke for 13 hours and never mentioned his name or Lindsey Graham’s name. They spoke for about 20 minutes and decided to use my name quite a bit, including some synonyms I wasn’t aware of, like different types of animals.”

Paul thinks his more senior colleagues miss the point of his efforts. He doesn’t see his filibuster as grandstanding, or his politics as out of the mainstream. Rather, he says, he speaks for a growing coalition of conservatives and independents who have grown weary of war and an increasingly powerful executive branch.

More:
http://www.nationalreview.com/articles/342813/rand-paul-s-big-fight-robert-costa

dancjm
03-12-2013, 04:36 PM
He is very good at rising above the BS. I like. :D

supermario21
03-12-2013, 04:43 PM
I like his stance on gay marriage, which is to remove discrimination from the tax code so there is no need to fight over it.