PDA

View Full Version : Google fined $7 million for collecting personal data with Street View

sailingaway
03-12-2013, 03:32 PM
Google struck a deal with US authorities Tuesday to pay a $7 million fine for collecting people’s personal data without authorization as it combed neighborhoods for its Street View service.

In a legal settlement with 38 states, the Internet giant agreed to destroy emails, passwords, and web histories it harvested from home wireless networks as Street View cars photographed neighborhoods between 2008 and 2010.

so do the people actually harmed get any of this or just the government?

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2013/03/12/google-fined-7-million-for-collecting-personal-data-for-street-view/#.UT-eN8XuKSM.twitter

jllundqu
03-12-2013, 03:33 PM
Wow... a WHOLE 7 mil??? How will they ever survive?

MoneyWhereMyMouthIs2
03-12-2013, 03:33 PM
so do the people actually harmed get any of this or just the government?

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2013/03/12/google-fined-7-million-for-collecting-personal-data-for-street-view/#.UT-eN8XuKSM.twitter

I don't know, but it usually goes to gov.

Fox McCloud
03-12-2013, 03:36 PM
This is one reason, amongst many, you should always use encryption on your wireless network.

sailingaway
03-12-2013, 03:41 PM
This is one reason, amongst many, you should always use encryption on your wireless network.

Yeah, but this was years ago when people (including I, myself) were niave... and clueless about trapping wireless. Google glass is just a way to farm out their spying to innocents who think it is 'cool', imho.

Fox McCloud
03-12-2013, 05:38 PM
Yeah, but this was years ago when people (including I, myself) were niave... and clueless about trapping wireless. Google glass is just a way to farm out their spying to innocents who think it is 'cool', imho.

You consider 2008-2010 "years ago" and legitimacy to be naive? Securing your wireless network has been harped on and preached about since before 2004, and WEP has been spoken out against and told to many users "do not use" since 2003-2004.

I don't know why people get up tight over glass, to be honest; it's just an alternative way of integrating certain cellphone and GPS features into a HUD with voice recognition...not really a big deal.

TheTexan
03-12-2013, 05:41 PM
Don't be evil [unless its profitable]

Natural Citizen
03-12-2013, 06:16 PM
I imagine the drones probably sync up to yer glass. Heh.

TokenLibertarianGuy
03-12-2013, 06:28 PM
pocket change

sailingaway
03-12-2013, 07:19 PM
You consider 2008-2010 "years ago" and legitimacy to be naive? Securing your wireless network has been harped on and preached about since before 2004, and WEP has been spoken out against and told to many users "do not use" since 2003-2004.

I don't know why people get up tight over glass, to be honest; it's just an alternative way of integrating certain cellphone and GPS features into a HUD with voice recognition...not really a big deal.

I take it you know tech. A lot more use it than know anything about it. For example, I have no idea what "WEP" means.

I was being somewhat tongue in cheek but thought the concern was more someone stealing my internet (didn't care) than stealing my passwords. For a corporation to intentionally and comprehensively try to eavesdrop on personal information never once occurred to me.

TokenLibertarianGuy
03-12-2013, 07:23 PM

I haven't seen a router come factory configured with WEP in...actually I can't remember the last time I saw that.

DamianTV
03-12-2013, 08:42 PM

When you browse the interwebs and allow every cookie from every website on the planet, that is your choice of what you can do with your own Privacy.

When you use your Google GlASSes and do a Background Check on every person you even look at, you are making a choice of what I can do with MY Privacy.

That is the difference and why there is even a discussion on Google Glass at all. You become the tool by which Google collects and harvests data on me, and since I did not give explicit permission, they are denied the priviledge. I do not offer "implied concent" or any purposeful misinterpretation in any of the numerous ways that the phrase can be construed.

Privacy is one of several necessary tools for Liberty. If people do not have Privacy, they can not first discuss what is wrong, second, they can not discuss a solution to fix the problem, and third, they will be cut down well before they can enact any form of meaningful solution. There is a time for Privacy, and there is a time to not have Privacy, and just because someone sees me in the bar talking about Ron Paul or Politics in general does not mean that I have given any form of concent to have any personal information provided or distributed to any Data Harvester.

The End of Privacy is the End of Liberty.