PDA

View Full Version : How are things going in Iowa?

Perry
11-23-2007, 08:31 PM
I've been thinking a great deal about Iowa recently. Do any of you that have been active in Iowa have any Idea about the numbers of people that are out knocking on doors and such? Maybe a few of you can share what you are seeing and experiencing on the streets of Iowa and on Television & Radio and perhaps any shortcomings you feel are present.

Any input is appreciated.

adpierce
11-23-2007, 08:44 PM
I've been thinking a great deal about Iowa recently. Do any of you that have been active in Iowa have any Idea about the numbers of people that are out knocking on doors and such? Maybe a few of you can share what you are seeing and experiencing on the streets of Iowa and on Television & Radio and perhaps any shortcomings you feel are present.

Any input is appreciated.

Television ads are going out at a great clip. I saw as many ads for ron paul over turkey day with my folks as all the candidates combined, but maybe I was just lucky to tune in just to see Ron Paul on TV all the time.

AlexMerced
11-23-2007, 08:46 PM
Television ads are going out at a great clip. I saw as many ads for ron paul over turkey day with my folks as all the candidates combined, but maybe I was just lucky to tune in just to see Ron Paul on TV all the time.

if only we were all so lucky :)

Psyclone
11-23-2007, 08:49 PM
I don't know the number of people knocking on doors, but there are very active groups in Ames, Des Moines, Cedar Rapids, and Iowa City. The problem is the entire western half of the state has very few activists, and that's the Republican half of the state. Sioux City has a small meetup, but my communications with them are that they aren't very active. As far as I know, there isn't a single campus Ron Paul group in the entire western half of the state.

There are TV and radio spots, but all media are completely saturated with political ads from all the candidates and, to be honest, Ron Paul's don't really appear to stand out from the pack. I'm a little bit pessimistic about how the results are going to come out. Obama and Hillary are in a real fight on the Democratic side, and I think many of the college students who might be interested in Ron Paul if we were only having a Republican caucus are going to be voting for Obama (who is by far the most popular candidate on campuses).

People in the state who don't like Rudy or Mitt are going for Huckabee right now, so my best bet at this point for the finish in Iowa is 1) Romney 2) Huckabee and then a fight for #3 between Giuliani, Thompson, and Ron Paul (and maybe McCain, but I think he is pulling up stakes in Iowa). My best bet is the Dr. Paul will finish fifth, but he might make it to fourth. Hope for a snow storm on caucus night because we have the most committed supporters!

AlexMerced
11-23-2007, 08:50 PM
are numbers are slowly growing in IA arn't they, he's catching on I'm telling ya

deedles
11-23-2007, 08:50 PM
Our meetup is having a letter writing campaign tomorrow, thanks to the LA meetup group purchasing the names/addys of 700,00 Iowa voters. I urge everyone else to get involved in that effort if they want to help out with Iowa.

tiznow
11-23-2007, 08:55 PM
I don't know the number of people knocking on doors, but there are very active groups in Ames, Des Moines, Cedar Rapids, and Iowa City. The problem is the entire western half of the state has very few activists, and that's the Republican half of the state. Sioux City has a small meetup, but my communications with them are that they aren't very active. As far as I know, there isn't a single campus Ron Paul group in the entire western half of the state.

There are TV and radio spots, but all media are completely saturated with political ads from all the candidates and, to be honest, Ron Paul's don't really appear to stand out from the pack. I'm a little bit pessimistic about how the results are going to come out. Obama and Hillary are in a real fight on the Democratic side, and I think many of the college students who might be interested in Ron Paul if we were only having a Republican caucus are going to be voting for Obama (who is by far the most popular candidate on campuses).

People in the state who don't like Rudy or Mitt are going for Huckabee right now, so my best bet at this point for the finish in Iowa is 1) Romney 2) Huckabee and then a fight for #3 between Giuliani, Thompson, and Ron Paul (and maybe McCain, but I think he is pulling up stakes in Iowa). My best bet is the Dr. Paul will finish fifth, but he might make it to fourth. Hope for a snow storm on caucus night because we have the most committed supporters!

i wouldn't be so pessimistic its a numbers game in iowa

bush won with 40% of the republican vote in 2000 or only 35,000 votes

25,000 probably takes the state this go round and 15,000 should take 3rd pretty easily

just be sure whoever you come across that likes ron paul knows how important their vote is, make sure they know the date and time all that stuff

at this point in the game its important for iowans to identify those that support ron paul and make sure they get to the caucus.

also the campaign knows this numbers game and via the phone lines etc, them using the state number they keep promoting here in iowa 1-888-828-PAUL to get people plugged into the the campagn and push them to attend the caucus, they are in the process of building a competitve caucus team

and drew iver's (the iowa chair's) track record is good 20%+ with both buchanan and robertson

it doesn't take a majority to get this done

if we get 1% of the iowa population to vote ron paul caucus night (20,000) we will be doing great moving to NH

austin356
11-23-2007, 09:00 PM
The campaign has 3-4,000 people "signed up" as supporters in Iowa right now. If each of those get 4-5 to vote for Ron we are in good shape (at least 3rd).

forsmant
11-23-2007, 09:04 PM
I am in the Omaha/ Council Bluffs meetup group that has 179 members. A lot of them joining recently.

I actually live in Nebraska but there is a weekly canvassing of the Council Bluffs area on Saturday mornings. I am new to the group and tomorrow will be my first outing. Four to Six people are consistently participating in the canvassing.

I have seen a few Ron Paul signs in Omaha, and no other candidate. I am sure they will come. I heard one radio ad on an AM station but the local morning show on www.Z92.com, one of the hosts(Todd) is a libertarian and supports Ron Paul. They are syndicated on three stations. One in Springfield, MO and one in Wichita, KS. They have a significant amount of listeners.

me3
11-23-2007, 09:07 PM
I am in the Omaha/ Council Bluffs meetup group that has 179 members. A lot of them joining recently.

I actually live in Nebraska but there is a weekly canvassing of the Council Bluffs area on Saturday mornings. I am new to the group and tomorrow will be my first outing. Four to Six people are consistently participating in the canvassing.

I have seen a few Ron Paul signs in Omaha, and no other candidate. I am sure they will come. I heard one radio ad on an AM station but the local morning show on www.Z92.com, one of the hosts(Todd) is a libertarian and supports Ron Paul. They are syndicated on three stations. One in Springfield, MO and one in Wichita, KS. They have a significant amount of listeners.
Thanks for this update.