PDA

View Full Version : Md. Woman Cited for Driving Too Slowly in Left Lane

TywinLannister
03-12-2013, 02:45 PM
A Maryland woman was shocked after she received a traffic ticket on Interstate 95 -- because it wasn't for speeding.

In fact, she was driving two mph under the speed limit.

The driver, who didn't want her name used, told News4 she was driving in the left lane of I-95 on Laurel last Friday when she was pulled over and cited for failing to move right.

According to the citation, she had been driving 63 mph in a 65 mph zone.

"[I was] really shocked," she said. "I thought, 'Oh my God, you've got to be kidding me'."

This was the first time she'd ever gotten a ticket -- but on Friday, she said, the area was experiencing heavy winds and she had slowed down to be safe.

"Sometimes when it's dangerous, you have to do what you can to stay safe," she said.

StormTeam 4 Meteorologist Doug Kammerer said winds were gusting at around 40 mph that day.

"The reason [the ticket] is silly is because it's sending the wrong message," said John Townsend of AAA Mid-Atlantic. "And that is, 'We will tolerate you driving at more than the speed limit, but it you drive below the speed limit, then you're penalized for that'."

The driver has filed a complaint with Maryland State Police and plans to fight the ticket.

While police said they can't comment on this specific ticket, they said that driving too slowly can impede traffic, and that anyone who wants to fight a citation can do so in court.

http://www.nbcwashington.com/news/local/Laurel-Maryland-Ticket-Driving-Too-Slow-197285901.html

ZENemy
03-12-2013, 02:45 PM
"Sometimes when it's dangerous, you have to do what you can to stay safe," she said.

That may be true, no reason to be in the "Fast lane" if you feel the need to be safer.

I don't agree with a ticket though, someone will high beam her till she moves :)

unknown
03-12-2013, 03:03 PM
Arbitrary enforcement.

Now you can get a ticket for driving too slow... dafuq?

Christian Liberty
03-12-2013, 03:12 PM
Isn't the minimum normally 40 on the interstate? I'm not a big fan of speed limit laws in any case, but if the speed limit is 65 and she's driving 63... yeah, 2 MPH. Seems reasonable. Ridiculous that this is an issue.

Fox McCloud
03-12-2013, 03:16 PM
The driver, who didn't want her name used, told News4 she was driving in the left lane of I-95 on Laurel last Friday when she was pulled over and cited for failing to move right.

This is likely the primary thing she was cited for not her speed (I realize her speed is mentioned, but I'd be willing to guess it's incidental, though I could be wrong).. If this is the case, there's a legitimate cause to ticket her; the left lane is only supposed to be used for passing (or general travel in ultra heavy congestion); if you stay in the left lane for more than one mile (at least in Ohio anyway), you can get legally ticketed (unless, of course, you're attempting to pass someone).

This prevents people from slowing down traffic flow, preventing passing (or making it dangerous), and keeps things running smoothly. As much as I detest the government, this is a logical and fair rule that would likely still persist on even a fully private road system.

Brian4Liberty
03-12-2013, 03:22 PM
"Slower traffic stay to the right." This is a law in many States. It's actually enforced in some States, like Texas, and it's a good thing. People going slow in the fast lanes create log jams and it crowds vehicles together. This increases the risk of accidents and multi-vehicle pile ups.

AFPVet
03-12-2013, 03:30 PM
Yes, you can be ticketed for driving too slow... especially in the fast lane. People can actually cause crashes by going too slow. In fact, as a former cop, I would much rather have people going 'too fast' rather than driving too slow—so long as they are in control of things and staying in the left lane. In many countries, it is illegal to drive in the left lane except to pass.

This being said, I don't like tickets... never have. I can get the point across by simply giving them a warning in most cases.

Maximus
03-12-2013, 03:33 PM
Good. She's a terrible driver, the left lane is for passing, not cruising around (even at high speed).

jdmyprez_deo_vindice
03-12-2013, 03:36 PM
This is not the first time this has happened.. The MDSP get really bored and think of stuff to pull people over for.

AFPVet
03-12-2013, 03:37 PM
Good. She's a terrible driver, the left lane is for passing, not cruising around (even at high speed).

Yep... which is why you don't want to be in the left lane to pass on the Autobahn with anything less than 400hp and long gears :) If you think 160 is fast, try that in the left lane over there... you will be pissing off a 180-200mph Lambo who will be flashing his HIDs two miles behind you lol.

Some cars feel pretty much at home in the left lane since they are passing people on a constant basis.

acptulsa
03-12-2013, 03:43 PM
That may be true, no reason to be in the "Fast lane" if you feel the need to be safer.

I don't agree with a ticket though, someone will high beam her till she moves :)

Thing is, the world is full of a**holes that refuse to ##!+ or get off the pot, and they'll sit in the passing lane until there's a huge knot of vehicles moving in incredibly tight formation and everyone's blood pressure is through the roof. They will also happily drive side by side with you, thereby depriving both you and himself/herself with an option for evasive maneuvers in case of the unexpected--apparently just because playing follow-the-leader in the same lane like a sentient being isn't democratic enough for them.

Requiring someone to use some lane other than the passing lane to do something other than passing really isn't a major hardship. It's a shame some people aren't polite enough to prevent rudeness being legislated against. But this does have a safety component to it.

CPUd
03-12-2013, 03:46 PM
Whether or not she gets the ticket thrown out, I bet she stops cruising in the passing lane now...

Brian4Liberty
03-12-2013, 03:48 PM
Thing is, the world is full of a**holes ...

I may add that to my sig line!

And how about the a-holes on a two lane road who go really slow for miles creating a huge backup, then when a passing lane comes up, they hit the gas to stay in front. There has to be a politically relevant analogy there somewhere.

robert9712000
03-12-2013, 03:50 PM
Im one of those that stays in the left lane almost all the time.It seems stupid to me to get in the left lane then get over to the right when in about 30 seconds ill need to get back in the left lane again to pass.If someone is riding my tail ill get over for them too pass me,but i see no reason to get in the next lane over if im going faster than the lane beside me

KCIndy
03-12-2013, 04:03 PM
Thing is, the world is full of a**holes that refuse to ##!+ or get off the pot, and they'll sit in the passing lane until there's a huge knot of vehicles moving in incredibly tight formation and everyone's blood pressure is through the roof. They will also happily drive side by side with you, thereby depriving both you and himself/herself with an option for evasive maneuvers in case of the unexpected--apparently just because playing follow-the-leader in the same lane like a sentient being isn't democratic enough for them.

Requiring someone to use some lane other than the passing lane to do something other than passing really isn't a major hardship. It's a shame some people aren't polite enough to prevent rudeness being legislated against. But this does have a safety component to it.

You hit it right on the head.

I'm not a fan of ticketing and traffic laws, but you're right: people who don't know when to get out of the left lane can be a big problem, especially in high traffic areas.

I drive a truck, and I can't begin to count the number of times I've been cruising along in the right lane and watched as a car pulls sloooowwly alongside me, and then..... stays there! Worse, if I speed up... they speed up. I slow down and they slow down.

Folks, short of having sex or sleeping, there aren't very many more dangerous things to do when behind the wheel than run right alongside a semi truck. We have great big blind spots there, and if we have to move over quickly for some reason, we'll scarcely notice the bump as we run over your little Kia.

Frankly, in my opinion, most people don't even know they aren't supposed to run constantly in the left lane. It's an education problem, not an attitude problem. Even after receiving the ticket, the woman in the story didn't really understand why she had been given the citation.

I'm not aware of ANY portion of the I-95 corridor where driving constantly in the left lane is legal. I've known many truckers who have been cited for exactly the same thing.

Red Green
03-12-2013, 04:03 PM
I hate BS tickets as well, but if you want to look for a real safety issue, this is one of them. I see it all the time here in AZ. People honestly don't know how to drive. I have had people get road rage over me flashing them the high beams after drafting their ass in the passing lane for 2 or 3 miles. Not to mention the people who just sit there an ignore the fact their getting flashed and a steady stream of cars is passing them on the right. I make a point to give these assholes the finger as I go by.

Brian4Liberty
03-12-2013, 04:11 PM
I drive a truck, and I can't begin to count the number of times I've been cruising along in the right lane and watched as a car pulls sloooowwly alongside me, and then..... stays there! Worse, if I speed up... they speed up. I slow down and they slow down.

Folks, short of having sex or sleeping, there aren't very many more dangerous things to do when behind the wheel than run right alongside a semi truck. We have great big blind spots there, and if we have to move over quickly for some reason, we'll scarcely notice the bump as we run over your little Kia.

Don't get me started! There are people who drive like sheep, and there are those who are actively driving. The people whose brains turn off and just follow the pack are dangerous. Why is it that they only feel comfortable right next to other cars? It should be the opposite.

Brian4Liberty
03-12-2013, 04:12 PM
Im one of those that stays in the left lane almost all the time.It seems stupid to me to get in the left lane then get over to the right when in about 30 seconds ill need to get back in the left lane again to pass.If someone is riding my tail ill get over for them too pass me,but i see no reason to get in the next lane over if im going faster than the lane beside me

If someone is riding your tail, you have already been in the left lane too long.

jkr
03-12-2013, 04:15 PM
super troopers?

"fight it in court"
plus those court costs...these are hiway men just like in Tennessee...im about to say fuck it and stay my ass home before some tax feeder tries to milk me.

working for a living and pretending im protected by my government are becoming incompatable

see if you can get blood from a turnip.

ive had just about enough

dannno
03-12-2013, 04:20 PM
"Slower traffic stay to the right." This is a law in many States. It's actually enforced in some States, like Texas, and it's a good thing. People going slow in the fast lanes create log jams and it crowds vehicles together. This increases the risk of accidents and multi-vehicle pile ups.

Ya seriously, people driving the speed limit should not be in the fast lane unless everybody else is driving the speed limit.

They should have let her off with a warning probably, though.

KCIndy
03-12-2013, 04:26 PM
super troopers?

"fight it in court"
plus those court costs...these are hiway men just like in Tennessee...im about to say fuck it and stay my ass home before some tax feeder tries to milk me.

I notice you're from Ohio. We truckers used to hate driving across the Buckeye state because trucks were rigorously held to a 55mph speed limit even on the most rural stretches of empty interstate.

Ohio was the only state where it was entirely likely to get a ticket for doing 57 in a 55 zone.

I'm not trying to pick on you, jkr, just noting that "highwayman" thing is prevalent all over the place, sadly. And Ohio *is* better than it used to be now that the speed limit has been bumped up to 65. :)

dannno
03-12-2013, 04:26 PM
I hate BS tickets as well, but if you want to look for a real safety issue, this is one of them. I see it all the time here in AZ. People honestly don't know how to drive. I have had people get road rage over me flashing them the high beams after drafting their ass in the passing lane for 2 or 3 miles. Not to mention the people who just sit there an ignore the fact their getting flashed and a steady stream of cars is passing them on the right. I make a point to give these assholes the finger as I go by.

Move to Arizona, they said...

The people aren't as crazy as California, they said..

RockEnds
03-12-2013, 04:27 PM
Yep... which is why you don't want to be in the left lane to pass on the Autobahn with anything less than 400hp and long gears :) If you think 160 is fast, try that in the left lane over there... you will be pissing off a 180-200mph Lambo who will be flashing his HIDs two miles behind you lol.

Some cars feel pretty much at home in the left lane since they are passing people on a constant basis.

Yep. One of my kids moved to Germany last year, and I don't know how many times I told him to stay in the right lane on the autobahn unless he had to pass. And if he had to pass, not to act as if it's Sunday afternoon in the countryside. Do it quickly, and get back in the right lane. And still, I got the call, "Omg, mom, you wouldn't believe it. I mean, I was passing this truck when out of nowhere this car was behind me...." He was fine. There was no accident, but I guess he had to learn for himself. The left lane is not for doddling and holding up traffic.

acptulsa
03-12-2013, 04:28 PM

Ha!

As much whining as she has done since, you can just imagine how much grief she gave that cop at the time for depriving her of the right to be rude and utterly brainless.

'Are you crazy? That's not a law! You can't write me a ticket for that! I wasn't doing anything wrong! I don't want to hear you explain to me how rude and dangerous it is to drive right beside someone in their blind spot like I want to hold their hand 'til doomsday! I don't care how much I spent on this Prius--I'm not concerned enough with the environment to care that vehicles are also more aerodynamic when they're rolling single file! I don't think anyone else has the right to drive at some speed other than two under the limit when I'm around! I don't care how much revenue your department misses out on when I don't let people speed! I figure if I gave seventeen people road rage, that's their problem! Is that a real ticket?! It's not a warning?! Are you crazy?!

What's your badge number?

AGRP
03-12-2013, 04:28 PM
But, speed kills. She was saving lives.

thoughtomator
03-12-2013, 04:33 PM
It is arbitrary enforcement, on the other hand these "Left Lane Lucys", as I call them, are not only very dangerous to those immediately around them, but they can cause jams and backups for miles. If they're going to hand out moving violations tickets at all, jamming up the passing lane would have to be among the most important. The dangerous conditions the driver cited make it even more important that she not do what she did. I am presuming she wasn't in the lane for 30 seconds, or to take a nearby left exit, but was there long enough to seriously affect traffic.

presence
03-12-2013, 04:34 PM
I had a girlfriend in HS who's father insisted it was his public duty to cruise control the speed limit in the fast lane. After a few "family" adventures with him behind the wheel the future of the relationship seemed dim.

TywinLannister
03-12-2013, 04:54 PM

No way. Time to make examples out of these left lane losers.

speciallyblend
03-12-2013, 05:10 PM
she should of got a ticket. If you want to go slow stay in right lane. In colorado you can only be in the left lane to pass. go traffic speed or move over. glad she got the ticket!! people who hog the left lane, deserve this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P7Bcov5SGU0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P7Bcov5SGU0

speciallyblend
03-12-2013, 05:13 PM
No way. Time to make examples out of these left lane losers.

in a free market, i would have mad max car missiles to move them over:)

MoneyWhereMyMouthIs2
03-12-2013, 05:58 PM
So, I read this whole thread, and no one mentioned the most likely scenario, imo.

She had a cop behind her who wanted to speed. 65 was way to slow. He was likely riding her ass. She was scared, doing speed limit, according to her speedometer, in an attempt to not be harassed. Whether she could safely get over or not, I don't know. I imagine not, since the people on her right would have also been scared of the cop and doing the exact speed limit.

Cop got butthurt and ticketed her for holding him up.

Had it not been a cop, who's to say she wouldn't have sped up and moved to the right lane?

P3ter_Griffin
03-12-2013, 06:08 PM
lol, only on rpf is cruising in the left lane frowned upon more than drunk driving. Doesn't she need to cause a crash or kill someone before she's done something wrong?

Brian4Liberty
03-12-2013, 07:02 PM
I had a girlfriend in HS who's father insisted it was his public duty to cruise control the speed limit in the fast lane. After a few "family" adventures with him behind the wheel the future of the relationship seemed dim.

Ah, the notorious enforcer type. A subset of the "no one should go faster than me type", which inhabits the left lane at a wide variety of speeds.

heavenlyboy34
03-12-2013, 07:05 PM
lol, only on rpf is cruising in the left lane frowned upon more than drunk driving. Doesn't she need to cause a crash or kill someone before she's done something wrong?
I doubt it's the only place, but so what? Nobody said either should be a crime (in this thread)-just that cruising in the fast lane is fucking stupid and annoying. Making cruising or drunk driving illegal is a type of "pre-crime" law, and should make any "liberty" person concerned.

heavenlyboy34
03-12-2013, 07:08 PM
Move to Arizona, they said...

The people aren't as crazy as California, they said..
The crazy ones are usually ex-pats from Cali and the midwest. ;)

VBRonPaulFan
03-12-2013, 07:26 PM
This is likely the primary thing she was cited for not her speed (I realize her speed is mentioned, but I'd be willing to guess it's incidental, though I could be wrong).. If this is the case, there's a legitimate cause to ticket her; the left lane is only supposed to be used for passing (or general travel in ultra heavy congestion); if you stay in the left lane for more than one mile (at least in Ohio anyway), you can get legally ticketed (unless, of course, you're attempting to pass someone).

This prevents people from slowing down traffic flow, preventing passing (or making it dangerous), and keeps things running smoothly. As much as I detest the government, this is a logical and fair rule that would likely still persist on even a fully private road system.

+10000000. i don't understand why people can't grasp this simple concept here in VA. Pass on the left, and get the hell over.

TheGrinch
03-12-2013, 07:34 PM
Just getting back from a road trip, I cannot say I sympathize with her plight. Those left lane losers are infuriating.

It also baffles me the ones who don't go a constant speed, but instead will go slow, really fast, really slow, to where you have to constantly fight with them for position so they won't force you to slow down. Hey assholes, you know you can get there just as fast without such a risk of a ticket if you drive a constant speed, and make us all be happier.

And then of course there are those that will speed up just because they see that you're going to have to get over. I hate people sometimes.

Flugel89
03-12-2013, 07:47 PM
So, I read this whole thread, and no one mentioned the most likely scenario, imo.

She had a cop behind her who wanted to speed. 65 was way to slow. He was likely riding her ass. She was scared, doing speed limit, according to her speedometer, in an attempt to not be harassed. Whether she could safely get over or not, I don't know. I imagine not, since the people on her right would have also been scared of the cop and doing the exact speed limit.

Cop got butthurt and ticketed her for holding him up.

Had it not been a cop, who's to say she wouldn't have sped up and moved to the right lane?

That very well could be what happened. Around here when there is a cop on the road he/she is usually accompanied by a bunch of cars in every lane boxed together matching his speed. I've seen it with cops going 10 MPH under the limit in the slow lane and there's no room for me to pass as all four lanes are blocked by idiots.

DamianTV
03-12-2013, 07:50 PM
A Maryland woman was shocked after she received a traffic ticket on Interstate 95 -- because it wasn't for speeding.

In fact, she was driving two mph under the speed limit.

According to the citation, she had been driving 63 mph in a 65 mph zone.

"[I was] really shocked," she said. "I thought, 'Oh my God, you've got to be kidding me'."

This was the first time she'd ever gotten a ticket -- but on Friday, she said, the area was experiencing heavy winds and she had slowed down to be safe.

StormTeam 4 Meteorologist Doug Kammerer said winds were gusting at around 40 mph that day.

"The reason [the ticket] is silly is because it's sending the wrong message," said John Townsend of AAA Mid-Atlantic. "And that is, 'We will tolerate you driving at more than the speed limit, but it you drive below the speed limit, then you're penalized for that'."

The driver has filed a complaint with Maryland State Police and plans to fight the ticket.

While police said they can't comment on this specific ticket, they said that driving too slowly can impede traffic, and that anyone who wants to fight a citation can do so in court.

http://www.nbcwashington.com/news/local/Laurel-Maryland-Ticket-Driving-Too-Slow-197285901.html

As much as I hate to say it, but fucking good. Assholes that get in the fast lane and go 25 miles per hour cause accidents, even if they are not involved in the accident. I know this perspective is not exactly conducive with Liberty, but that is just the way I feel about it. You wanna go slow? Good for you. Move to the right or stay the fuck off the freeway and take the back streets.

heavenlyboy34
03-12-2013, 07:57 PM
Just getting back from a road trip, I cannot say I sympathize with her plight. Those left lane losers are infuriating.

It also baffles me the ones who don't go a constant speed, but instead will go slow, really fast, really slow, to where you have to constantly fight with them for position so they won't force you to slow down. Hey assholes, you know you can get there just as fast without such a risk of a ticket if you drive a constant speed, and make us all be happier.

And then of course there are those that will speed up just because they see that you're going to have to get over. I hate people sometimes.
I cannot prove it, but I'm sure those people are distracted with radios, phones, kids, etc.

acptulsa
03-12-2013, 08:12 PM
I cannot prove it, but I'm sure those people are distracted with radios, phones, kids, etc.

Generally. In any case, there is a certain subset of people who cannot under any circumstance hold a constant speed without either their cruise control set or someone to follow. The are among the most irritating when they're also the Democratic type--can't lead, won't follow, insists on driving the same speed in the other lane so we can all be perfectly equal. They drive right beside you so you can't move over, come up beside someone going more slowly in your lane, then match their speed, so you must slow down. And then they just can't for the life of them understand why you're road raging all of the sudden.

It's a pity no one in the U.S. is allowed by the insurance lobby to teach people how to drive. There would be a lot less of that if I were in charge of the curriculum. But there are still people who cannot for the life of them keep a constant speed without cruise or guidance.

One time several years ago I was on my way to work early on a Sunday morning. I passed--I encountered--exactly two cars at that hour. One was a gentleman of African descent, seemingly also on his way to work. The other was a white woman talking a mile a minute on her cell phone, and sitting exactly three feet off his rear bumper. Two cars on the road, and they're three feet apart.

It was fortunate that neither he nor I were armed that morning.

DamianTV
03-12-2013, 08:35 PM
I doubt it's the only place, but so what? Nobody said either should be a crime (in this thread)-just that cruising in the fast lane is fucking stupid and annoying. Making cruising or drunk driving illegal is a type of "pre-crime" law, and should make any "liberty" person concerned.

I've already vented that people like this severely piss me off, and expressed that I knew that my opinion was not Liberty oriented. But that was just me ranting on the stupidity of people that do this.

Now for the Liberty oriented point of view. There can only be a Crime if there is a Victim. When people drive slow and stupid, or drunk as fuck, they tend to cause problems. What I believe we should be doing is holding people accountable when there is a Victim. For example, just driving like a moron and causing an accident. Those people need to be held accountable. Drive drunk and wreck your own car, whooptie fucking do. Drive drunk and end someone elses life? Involuntary Manslaughter. Drive stupid (on a cell phone, slow in the fast lane, etc) and cause no problems, then no tickets. Drive stupid and cause damage to someone else? They need to get the whole fucking bill, not just pass it along to their Insurance Company. Drive stupid and cause your own death? Not my problem. Drive stupid and hurt someone else is the precursor to the Office of Pre Crime.

Many of our Traffic Laws have removed the Civil aspects of Injury and Damage and have been replaced with Misdemeanor and Felony Offenses. For example, there are no laws (well, as far as I know) about borrowing a tool. When the tool is not returned, it isnt considered a Criminal offense, but because there is Damage / Loss of Property, there is a Victim, and things like this is exactly what Civil Court was intended for. By considering certain types of Damage / Inury / Loss of Property to be Criminal instead of Civil, it only opens the door to Government Profiteering through Taxation by Citation. Now, about those Seat Belt Laws, why do you think we have so many of them? Your benefit? Or maybe it is a Cash Cow for the Police Dept...

Southron
03-12-2013, 08:36 PM
2mph under speed limit is more deserving of a warning imo, unless she had traffic backed up very badly. At the same time, you have to be pretty self-centered to cruise in the hammer lane when you have faster traffic behind you. The more lanes you have, the less excuse you have to ride there as well.

MoneyWhereMyMouthIs2
03-12-2013, 08:44 PM
That very well could be what happened. Around here when there is a cop on the road he/she is usually accompanied by a bunch of cars in every lane boxed together matching his speed. I've seen it with cops going 10 MPH under the limit in the slow lane and there's no room for me to pass as all four lanes are blocked by idiots.

Well, I will personally not match a cop's speed if he's under the speed limit. In fact, from a dead stop, I'll beat them to the speed limit by a large margin just for fun. Not that I'm racing anyone, but I'm just not aware of any acceleration statutes. They can try me if they want, but never do.

MoneyWhereMyMouthIs2
03-12-2013, 08:47 PM
2mph under speed limit is more deserving of a warning imo, unless she had traffic backed up very badly. At the same time, you have to be pretty self-centered to cruise in the hammer lane when you have faster traffic behind you. The more lanes you have, the less excuse you have to ride there as well.

As I pointed out earlier... it was likely the cop behind her causing the traffic back up. He was upset because he couldn't speed, and probably couldn't pass her on the right either. (as there were possibly more people there terrified of the cop, doing the speed limit.)

acptulsa
03-12-2013, 08:51 PM

The people behind you are beneath contempt.

Seriously. That's how way too many people think. In Chicago, you come to a four-way stop and no one stops. You roll at idle speed up to the stop sign, the person from your right is already in the intersection, you tap your brake pedal just enough to make your brake lights flash and make the cops happy, and you proceed through right behind that driver. And you don't slow down because the car from your left has just tapped his brake pedal and is rolling right at you. This is the very definition of politeness. You aren't pretending to be polite, you aren't trying to look polite, you are keeping traffic flowing and reducing delays for everyone there, and doing what is right and expected of you with skill. That's driving politely.

An Oklahoma four way stop consists of seventeen people sitting behind someone so concerned with appearing to be polite that they're holding up the whole world so they can wave everyone coming from their right or left on through. This is not polite. If you don't believe me, just ask the seventeen 'beneath contempt' people behind this distressingly 'polite' individual. Because when someone is on your left, and just got there when you've been there a while, you have to wave at them for at least twenty seconds before they roll their eyes and go. That can add up.

When I'm riding my bicycle, and I've timed my launch to go behind approaching cross traffic, and they stop in the middle of traffic so I can go in front of them, I go around behind them anyway.

Competence is polite. If you want to be perceived as polite, learn how to drive and do what's expected of you. Smart drivers surprise no one.

MoneyWhereMyMouthIs2
03-12-2013, 08:54 PM
Competence is polite. If you want to be perceived as polite, learn how to drive and do what's expected of you. Smart drivers surprise no one.

yep. +rep

Brian4Liberty
03-12-2013, 11:39 PM

I worked with a guy that said that he liked to speed up when people tried to pass him just so he could see how fast he could force them to go.

2mph under speed limit is more deserving of a warning imo, unless she had traffic backed up very badly.

Well, "slower traffic must stay right" is just as much a law as "drive on the right side of the road". The laws that are enforced and ticketed the most are speed laws and stop sign/light laws. People tend to think of those as the only laws or rules for driving, due to enforcement.

Keith and stuff
03-12-2013, 11:59 PM
Warn the person that gave her the ticket. Was she wrong? Yes. She should have received a warning. Maybe. A ticket? Of course not. Should the police officer get in trouble? Yes.

BarryDonegan
03-13-2013, 12:02 AM
So are they now contending we have to drive the exact speed limit?

Keith and stuff
03-13-2013, 12:07 AM

It is crazy, right? If you o 1 mile an hour over, you are a bad person. Plus, most cars aren't designed to tell you the exact speed you are going so...

CPUd
03-13-2013, 12:13 AM
If you're in the passing lane, at least in TN, you can go over the speed limit until you are a safe distance from the car you're supposed to be passing. We're talking about 5-10 MPH over. It should especially be done when you're trying to pass a truck. I passed a State Trooper like this before. No doubt he ran my plates though.

speciallyblend
03-13-2013, 12:31 AM

no what they are saying is if your in the left lane and holding up traffic and will not move over. YOU WILL GET A TICKET! In colorado you can only be in the left lane if your passing someone on the interstate.

acptulsa
03-13-2013, 07:14 AM
I worked with a guy that said that he liked to speed up when people tried to pass him just so he could see how fast he could force them to go.

He wouldn't have told me that crap twice. I'd have lectured him for twenty minutes about endangering the world just to be an ass.

Well, "slower traffic must stay right" is just as much a law as "drive on the right side of the road". The laws that are enforced and ticketed the most are speed laws and stop sign/light laws. People tend to think of those as the only laws or rules for driving, due to enforcement.

no what they are saying is if your in the left lane and holding up traffic and will not move over. YOU WILL GET A TICKET! In colorado you can only be in the left lane if your passing someone on the interstate.

This. Yes, it's a safety issue, and saves more lives than speed limits do. In fact, it's the exact same thing as demanding people drive on the right on a two-lane road taken one logical step further. We allow people to drive on the left to overtake, even on a two lane road. It's a concession to the fact that different traffic will want to move different speeds. Giving people a passing lane that has no oncoming traffic at all in it is an extension of the same logic. One 'keep right' rule makes it possible for traffic to move two different directions safely on the same road. The other makes it possible for traffic to move different speeds safely on the same road.

Saying 'keep right except to pass' isn't totalitarian. Saying 'no one should be able to go faster than me' is totalitarian. And if there's any kind of law I'm liable to get behind, it's a law that reigns in totalitarians.

belian78
03-13-2013, 11:51 AM
I may add that to my sig line!

And how about the a-holes on a two lane road who go really slow for miles creating a huge backup, then when a passing lane comes up, they hit the gas to stay in front. There has to be a politically relevant analogy there somewhere.
I deal with that every morning. LOL

Southron
03-13-2013, 07:16 PM

I'm not opposed to enforcing it. I drive 2500 miles a week and I see stuff like this all the time. I've only seen someone pulled over once for blocking traffic in the left lane. The main thing we don't know is how long she was in the hammer lane. I have pulled out and tried to pass before, only to have the car or truck beside me speed up and then have cars start to pass me on the right hand side.

TywinLannister
03-13-2013, 11:46 PM
I'm not opposed to enforcing it. I drive 2500 miles a week and I see stuff like this all the time. I've only seen someone pulled over once for blocking traffic in the left lane. The main thing we don't know is how long she was in the hammer lane. I have pulled out and tried to pass before, only to have the car or truck beside me speed up and then have cars start to pass me on the right hand side.

lol, hammer lane. I call it the grownup's lane.

anaconda
03-14-2013, 12:59 AM
Isn't the minimum normally 40 on the interstate? I'm not a big fan of speed limit laws in any case, but if the speed limit is 65 and she's driving 63... yeah, 2 MPH. Seems reasonable. Ridiculous that this is an issue.

You can drive so slow as to be unsafe. This is not one of those times. I'll bet the judge tosses this. Theoretically, cars in the left lane must also adhere to the speed limit. Would the cop have ticketed her if she was driving 65 MPH? Her assertion that the weather conditions warranted a slower speed is also highly relevant.

anaconda
03-14-2013, 01:05 AM

People tail gating others are magnitudes more dangerous than the person driving 2 MPH under the maximum speed limit.

XTreat
03-14-2013, 02:57 AM
She wasn't driving slow in left lane. She was driving the maximum legal speed.

NCGOPer_for_Paul
03-14-2013, 05:08 AM
Didn't read the whole thread, but this is one of the few cases where the law makes sense from a safety perspective.

If you get in the left lane, you better be passing.

JorgeStevenson
03-14-2013, 06:38 AM
So she was supposed to move to the right lane so somebody could go 2mph faster than her?

acptulsa
03-14-2013, 07:19 AM
So she was supposed to move to the right lane so somebody could go 2mph faster than her?

Yes. Yes she was. Or so someone could go seventeen mph faster than her without road rage and get that cop's attention instead of her. Or so the cop could get by her to go bust someone. Or so that someone with a more accurate speedometer than hers could go seven mph faster than her legally, because almost everyone's speedometer reads 'hot'.

Yes. Yes, she was. She wasn't overtaking anyone, and the reasonable, civilized, respectful thing to do at that point is to get the hell out of the passing lane. Absolutely. Beyond a shadow of a doubt. To do anything else is to be a bitch. Period.

tod evans
03-14-2013, 07:25 AM
She wasn't overtaking anyone, and the reasonable, civilized, respectful thing to do at that point is to get the hell out of the passing lane. Absolutely. Beyond a shadow of a doubt. To do anything else is to be a bitch. Period.

^^^^^^^^^^^This^^^^^^^^^^^^

Manners, learn 'em or suffer....[although I don't think cops need to be teaching manners!]

jtap
03-14-2013, 07:35 AM
When I'm riding my bicycle, and I've timed my launch to go behind approaching cross traffic, and they stop in the middle of traffic so I can go in front of them, I go around behind them anyway.

hahaha. I do the same on my bike or when walking. Stupid people. Do they think I'm going to jump out and try to make them kill me?

It's nice to see so many people that think like I do (on these forums) but it's sad we don't cross paths in real life and have to deal with these "special" folks.

speciallyblend
03-14-2013, 08:23 AM

yes

speciallyblend
03-14-2013, 08:28 AM
a good time for this, http://www.leftlanedrivers.org/ :)

phill4paul
03-14-2013, 08:33 AM
a good time for this, http://www.leftlanedrivers.org/ :)

Lol....... love their window decals.

https://paytrace.com/download.pay?type=getimage&imagetype=C&imageid=211

XTreat
03-14-2013, 08:57 AM
yes

I bet 2 mph is within the margin of error of both the speedometer and speed detection device.

XTreat
03-14-2013, 08:59 AM
Yes. Yes she was. Or so someone could go seventeen mph faster than her without road rage and get that cop's attention instead of her. Or so the cop could get by her to go bust someone. Or so that someone with a more accurate speedometer than hers could go seven mph faster than her legally, because almost everyone's speedometer reads 'hot'.

Yes. Yes, she was. She wasn't overtaking anyone, and the reasonable, civilized, respectful thing to do at that point is to get the hell out of the passing lane. Absolutely. Beyond a shadow of a doubt. To do anything else is to be a bitch. Period.

we should give tickets to everyone who isn;t reasonable, civilized, and respectful in my opinion and especially to people who are bitches

speciallyblend
03-14-2013, 09:26 AM
I bet 2 mph is within the margin of error of both the speedometer and speed detection device.

i use the speed detection signs as a way to see where about my speedometer is. When i am going 75 i am actually going 69. Either way i see a car coming up behind me i move over no matter what my speedometer says. tire size can dictate what your speedometer says as well.

the point for folks crying over 1-3 mph is if you have a car behind you in the left lane . Then you move over, doesn't matter if your going 65,66,76,86 in a 65 or 45 in a 65, move it on over, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MvarLqTNr1M
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MvarLqTNr1M

bottom line if your not going traffic speed or passing, then move over or ride the damn bus.

tod evans
03-14-2013, 09:35 AM
we should give tickets to everyone who isn;t reasonable, civilized, and respectful in my opinion and especially to people who are bitches

No tickets should not be written for folks who fail to use proper rode etiquette.

Neither should they be written to those who teach the unmannerly..

phill4paul
03-14-2013, 09:39 AM
Move it on over.........

http://www.wildforwednesdays.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/hyundai-300x199.jpg

DamianTV
03-14-2013, 11:07 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PmXAsfeQ_4E