PDA

View Full Version : Political thriller . . . with a Rand Paul-looking President ?

rubioneocon
03-12-2013, 02:21 PM
Correct me if I am wrong for posting this . . .
but really, after seeing the trailer for Olympus Has Fallen
I have to admit President Benjamin Asher played by Aaron Eckhart
does a pretty good imitation of a could-be President Rand Paul, imho.

Olympus Has Fallen synopsis . . .

Disgraced former Presidential guard Mike Banning finds himself trapped inside the White House
in the wake of a terrorist attack; using his inside knowledge, Banning works with national security
to rescue the President from his kidnappers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vwx1f0kyNwI

Article V
03-12-2013, 02:47 PM
Olympus Has Fallen synopsis . . .

Disgraced former Presidential guard Mike Banning finds himself trapped inside the White House
in the wake of a terrorist attack; using his inside knowledge, Banning works with national security
to rescue the President from his kidnappers.Why is it always a "disgraced" and/or "former" officer/guard in these stories? Talk about cliche.

Can no one write a screenplay about titans at the top of their game? About a guy who's always the best and always prepared until the unthinkable happens and he must be even better than he ever thought he could be if he hopes to succeed. Geez, this disgraced, retired, one-last-attempt-at-redemption chestnut is far too overplayed. (I'll wait till after the first week, then check the reviews... if they're good I'll go, if not... then not.)

TokenLibertarianGuy
03-12-2013, 02:51 PM
Is that Ashley Judd?

Article V
03-12-2013, 02:57 PM
Is that Ashley Judd?Do we really need to provide info you can learn from an IMDB search? http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2302755/?ref_=sr_1 and http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000171/?ref_=sr_3

TokenLibertarianGuy
03-12-2013, 02:58 PM
Do we really need to provide info you can learn from an IMDB search? http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2302755/?ref_=sr_1

Yes. Is it her?

Article V
03-12-2013, 03:05 PM
Yes. Is it her?
Stop wasting resources of the liberty movement by sending us on silly fishing expeditions where the answers are already in front your face. Whether you're on our side or a mole, this is a troll tactic. If you're not interested in looking it up for yourself when the answer is so easy to find, then you're not really interested in the answer as much as you are in being a lazy-bones who wastes the time and energy of others. Leaches shouldn't be fed, so re-read my other post because that's as far as I'm willing to go.

TokenLibertarianGuy
03-12-2013, 03:06 PM
Stop wasting resources of the liberty movement by sending us on silly fishing expeditions where the answers are already in front your face. Whether you're on our side or a mole, this is a troll tactic. If you're not interested in looking it up for yourself when the answer is so easy to find, then you're not really interested in the answer as much as you are in being a lazy-bones who wastes the time and energy of others. Leaches shouldn't be fed, so re-read my other post because that's as far as I'm willing to go.

So it's not Ashley Judd?

Article V
03-12-2013, 03:07 PM
So it's not Ashley Judd?No. It's Nell Carter.

TokenLibertarianGuy
03-12-2013, 03:09 PM
No. It's Nell Carter.

You sure? The chick in the limo looked a lot like Ashley Judd. Can you check for me? I haven't seen Nell Carter in anything in quite a few years.

Christian Liberty
03-12-2013, 03:13 PM

That was just rude. -1.

Article V
03-12-2013, 03:14 PM
You sure? The chick in the limo looked a lot like Ashley Judd. Can you check for me? I haven't seen Nell Carter in anything in quite a few years.I did. I ran it through some facial recognition software. The computer confirms: it's Nell Carter. There's also a slight possibility it could be Angela Lansbury, but the she usually has an English accent; so I'm going with Nell Carter for sure..

Article V
03-12-2013, 03:15 PM
That was just rude. -1.It was accurate. And I had already provided a link to his answer. You were rude. -1.

rubioneocon
03-12-2013, 03:15 PM
Why is it always a "disgraced" and/or "former" officer/guard in these stories? Talk about cliche.
. . .

Well, as the trailer shows . . . when the sheeet hits the fan so to speak,
the Military is gonna ask "But can we trust him . . .?"
sorta like a Jason Bourne or Robert Redford in "Three Days of the Condor" ( Oh no, now I see what you mean about cliche - sigh)

Is that Ashley Judd?

I didn't notice but you are right . . .
as the President's wife Margaret Asher (and she doesn't look anything like Mrs. Rand Paul)

Article V
03-12-2013, 03:18 PM
Well, as the trailer shows . . . when the sheeet hits the fan so to speak,
the Military is gonna ask "But can we trust him . . .?"
sorta like a Jason Bourne or Robert Redford in "Three Days of the Condor" ( Oh no, now I see what you mean about cliche - sigh)Ha. :p

"With all due respect, I'm the best hope you've got." Haha. I'm pretty sure even DIE HARD steered away from that line when terrorists seized the Nakatomi Tower and left John McClain trapped inside with the Feds stuck outside. Then again, the original DIE HARD wasn't cliche, which sadly wasn't the case for its most recent sequel A GOOD DAY TO DIE HARD (bleh!).

Oh, wait, OLYMPUS HAS FALLEN is a simple DIE HARD meets IN THE LINE OF FIRE. Those are some big shoes to fill.

Aeroneous
03-12-2013, 03:31 PM

No one told you to go look it up. Did it interrupt a grassroots rally that you were hosting at the time? Perhaps you were in the middle of some cold calls to gain momentum for Justin Amash's possible Senate run?

It was a little rude. Not going to bother neg repping, because I've been rude myself on numerous occasions (like the first three sentences of this reply). It would also be a little arrogant for a some of us on this forum to consider ourselves "resources" of the liberty movement.

Inkblots
03-12-2013, 03:39 PM
Is that Ashley Judd?

Yes, yes it is.

Article V
03-12-2013, 03:44 PM
No one told you to go look it up. Did it interrupt a grassroots rally that you were hosting at the time? Perhaps you were in the middle of some cold calls to gain momentum for Justin Amash's possible Senate run?

It was a little rude. Not going to bother neg repping, because I've been rude myself on numerous occasions (like the first three sentences of this reply). It would also be a little arrogant for a some of us on this forum to consider ourselves "resources" of the liberty movement.There's nothing more valuable than humans. Whether we're utilizing our talents properly or not is another story, but we're all the most valuable resources on earth.

The point is: I looked it up for the dude and showed him IMDB proof if his eyes and ears weren't enough when watching the trailer. Then he still kept it up because that's what trolls do: they start with small things, then just needle till a fight breaks out, which winds up warping the thread so that it's no longer about its original topic.

What did you want me to do? Say "yes" and then wait for the guy to ask me his next time-waster? Attacking the laziness of his question guides people into improving themselves. Attacking me for my brusk style when I did what no one else was willing to do for the guy is just wrong-headed.

rubioneocon
03-12-2013, 04:02 PM
"With all due respect, I'm the best hope you've got." . . .

OK already . . . the President is kidnapped (cliche) and terrorists have commandeered the White House.

Oh, wait, OLYMPUS HAS FALLEN is a simple DIE HARD meets IN THE LINE OF FIRE. Those are some big shoes to fill.

OK, maybe very fair . . . but I can't tell until I have seen a bit more than the trailer.

I have picked up though that the Speaker of the House Trumbull (the third in the line of succession) played by Morgan Freeman takes over.

Hmmm. That would be like Boehner as the head of government temporarily if
Obama got kidnapped and Biden was ? . . .
(ohhh in Olympus has Fallen maybe Vice-President Charlie Rodriguez was born in Mexico
so like a Canadian born VP Cruz in a Paul/Cruz administration. . . a VP who could not assume the Presidency)
(and this scenario should have happened with another Canadian born VP - Chester Arthur btw - but they didn't know Arthur was born just across the Vermont border.)

economics102
03-12-2013, 04:35 PM
There was a 24 episode exactly like this, but starring Jack Bauer as the "can we trust him" agent. Looks like a fun movie though.

Aeroneous
03-12-2013, 04:46 PM
There's nothing more valuable than humans. Whether we're utilizing our talents properly or not is another story, but we're all the most valuable resources on earth.

The point is: I looked it up for the dude and showed him IMDB proof if his eyes and ears weren't enough when watching the trailer. Then he still kept it up because that's what trolls do: they start with small things, then just needle till a fight breaks out, which winds up warping the thread so that it's no longer about its original topic.

What did you want me to do? Say "yes" and then wait for the guy to ask me his next time-waster? Attacking the laziness of his question guides people into improving themselves. Attacking me for my brusk style when I did what no one else was willing to do for the guy is just wrong-headed.

My point was that he did not commit the resources... you committed your own resources. Basically, you were berating him for something you did.

You didn't have to do anything. You could have just not cared and moved on to some significant liberty topic that could have received some benefit from your knowledge.

misean
03-12-2013, 05:53 PM
Is that Ashley Judd?

Yes. Now quit wasting valuable resources on such a question. More importantly, is this Mitch McConnell?

http://www.factzoo.com/sites/all/img/reptiles/turtle/green-turtle-head.jpg

TokenLibertarianGuy
03-12-2013, 05:58 PM
Yes. Now quit wasting valuable resources on such a question. More importantly, is this Mitch McConnell?

This is him back in high school:

http://static.ddmcdn.com/gif/lizard-man.jpg

rubioneocon
03-12-2013, 06:10 PM

http://www.factzoo.com/sites/all/img/reptiles/turtle/green-turtle-head.jpg

LOL

so that's what Ashley wants to pit herself against . . . that might not be so pretty !

No Free Beer
03-12-2013, 06:36 PM
No, Mitch McConnell is Franklin, the turtle.

Look it up.

Article V
03-12-2013, 06:39 PM
My point was that he did not commit the resources... you committed your own resources. Basically, you were berating him for something you did.

You didn't have to do anything. You could have just not cared and moved on to some significant liberty topic that could have received some benefit from your knowledge.Your point is erroneous. I committed my resources to assist the troll while proving a point that I hoped might alter his future behavior into more productivity. Altering his future behavior and greater productivity were my goals, and I feel that's a noble goal which is why I chose my tools toward accomplishment carefully: public embarrassment, acknowledgment of the obvious, and proof of the ease of information acquisition.

If you don't understand what I was doing and why, then you should keep out of my dispute.
...After all, Miss Manners, minding one's own business is the polite thing to do. :p

newbitech
03-12-2013, 06:42 PM
propaganda film

i'll never see more than this trailer.

Article V
03-12-2013, 06:45 PM
OK already . . . the President is kidnapped (cliche) and terrorists have commandeered the White House.

OK, maybe very fair . . . but I can't tell until I have seen a bit more than the trailer.

I have picked up though that the Speaker of the House Trumbull (the third in the line of succession) played by Morgan Freeman takes over.

Hmmm. That would be like Boehner as the head of government temporarily if
Obama got kidnapped and Biden was ? . . .
(ohhh in Olympus has Fallen maybe Vice-President Charlie Rodriguez was born in Mexico
so like a Canadian born VP Cruz in a Paul/Cruz administration. . . a VP who could not assume the Presidency)
(and this scenario should have happened with another Canadian born VP - Chester Arthur btw - but they didn't know Arthur was born just across the Vermont border.)It could turn out to be a great movie. It's certainly a favorite genre of mine and an interesting premise. But what little dialogue we've been given is concerning, even in the hands of the brilliant actors in the cast. I'm reserving final judgement until I see the film, but I won't be seeing it on opening weekend; it may turn out to be a rental, tv-view, or download unless movie-goers laud it as a "must see!"

kathy88
03-12-2013, 06:55 PM
Stop wasting resources of the liberty movement by sending us on silly fishing expeditions where the answers are already in front your face. Whether you're on our side or a mole, this is a troll tactic. If you're not interested in looking it up for yourself when the answer is so easy to find, then you're not really interested in the answer as much as you are in being a lazy-bones who wastes the time and energy of others. Leaches shouldn't be fed, so re-read my other post because that's as far as I'm willing to go.lighten the fuck up.

rubioneocon
03-12-2013, 08:26 PM
No, Mitch McConnell is Franklin, the turtle.

Look it up.

never heard of Franklin the turtle, but he does look like McConnell.

While we are at it, Cheney has been likened to what animal-like arch-villain ? (I think I just gave it away)

http://i372.photobucket.com/albums/oo161/sunblush/penguinhead004b_zpsd036945c.jpg

Aeroneous
03-12-2013, 08:26 PM
Stop wasting resources of the liberty movement by sending us on silly fishing expeditions where the answers are already in front your face. Whether you're on our side or a mole, this is a troll tactic.

I committed my resources to assist the troll while proving a point that I hoped might alter his future behavior into more productivity. Altering his future behavior and greater productivity were my goals, and I feel that's a noble goal which is why I chose my tools toward accomplishment carefully: public embarrassment, acknowledgment of the obvious, and proof of the ease of information acquisition.

My point was that he did not commit the resources... you committed your own resources.

Your point is erroneous.

Judging from what you said, my point is the exact opposite of erroneous. Also, if the resources you committed were in pursuit of a noble goal of generating greater productivity, how could that be a waste of resources? I mean was it noble, or a waste?

Article V
03-12-2013, 09:58 PM
Judging from what you said, my point is the exact opposite of erroneous. Also, if the resources you committed were in pursuit of a noble goal of generating greater productivity, how could that be a waste of resources? I mean was it noble, or a waste?My resources weren't wasted because I wasn't using them for the purpose the guy was requesting. If someone had used their resources for the purpose the guy was requesting, then that would (in my view) have been a waste of resources. If you can't understand that nuance, then you're not worthy of your avatar.

Since you seem insistent on manipulating my comments to mean something other than what they do, I'll disengage with you. No point in my feeding more trolls; you seem to be multiplying.

Article V
03-12-2013, 10:00 PM
lighten the fuck up.Bad dialogue always puts me in a bad mood. I see it as laziness (in writing), so I become hypersensitive to laziness (elsewhere). Deal with that personality trait of mine... or you too will need to "lighten the fuck up" like me.

Article V
03-12-2013, 10:10 PM
never heard of Franklin the turtle, but he does look like McConnell.

While we are at it, Cheney has been likened to what animal-like arch-villain ? (I think I just gave it away)

http://i372.photobucket.com/albums/oo161/sunblush/penguinhead004b_zpsd036945c.jpgLots-o'-Huggin' Bear from Toy Story 3?

Aeroneous
03-12-2013, 10:10 PM
My resources weren't wasted because I wasn't using them for the purpose the guy was requesting. If someone had used their resources for the purpose the guy was requesting, then that would (in my view) have been a waste of resources. If you can't understand that nuance, then you're not worthy of your avatar.

Since you seem insistent on manipulating my comments to mean something other than what they do, I'll disengage with you. No point in my feeding more trolls; you seem to be multiplying.

Disengage all you want. My reply just showed you what you said and how you contradicted yourself. There was no manipulation.. all I did was quote you.

EDIT: I do need to point out, though, that you are once again blaming someone else for something you are doing.

Indy Vidual
03-12-2013, 10:16 PM
propaganda film

i'll never see more than this trailer.

Agreed, crappy film and the guy does not look like Rand, imo.

HOLLYWOOD
03-12-2013, 10:24 PM
The CGI in the trailer is awful... so 1990ish

Article V
03-12-2013, 10:59 PM
Disengage all you want. My reply just showed you what you said and how you contradicted yourself. There was no manipulation.. all I did was quote you.

EDIT: I do need to point out, though, that you are once again blaming someone else for something you are doing.I never blamed him for wasting MY resources. My resources weren't wasted, so I wouldn't have claimed that. You're an idiot. I claimed that he was wasting the resources of anyone who went on his silly fishing expedition--but that's not what I did! I did something entirely different while also just-so-happening to bring back the fish he wanted (though not in the manner he wanted) to make him appear pathetically small in an effort to induce change in his character.

I've explained the nuance to you several times. If you don't understand it, then I repeat: you're an idiot.

I'll not waste any more resources with an idiot. (And if you think I am one, then I advise you to do the same. ...though, being an idiot yourself, I doubt you will accept that advice.)

Aeroneous
03-12-2013, 11:06 PM
I never blamed him for wasting MY resources. My resources weren't wasted, so I wouldn't have claimed that. You're an idiot.

Well then why didn't you say that a while ago? I mean really you went on with this discussion as if that were the assumption. Seems like you would have pointed that out after I mentioned that you committed your own resources.

If you're going to generalize me as an idiot based off of a couple forum replies, I'm going to hop on the bandwagon and generalize you as an asshole for the rude comment you made in the beginning. You're also quite arrogant for running around thinking that it's your job to change the personal characteristics of others, a task which you have referred to as being noble.

I thought you disengaged from this?

Article V
03-12-2013, 11:08 PM
I am an arrogant asshole. But I can also be right.

Aeroneous
03-12-2013, 11:24 PM
I am an arrogant asshole. But I can also be right.

We have reached an accord!

LOL

Occam's Banana
03-12-2013, 11:38 PM
Holy thread derailment, Batman! Someone sure be trollin' here - and it ain't TLG ...