PDA

View Full Version : Senate Dems offer $1 trillion in new taxes

green73
03-12-2013, 12:27 PM
The first budget from Senate Democrats in four years includes nearly $1 trillion in new taxes but would not balance the budget.

The blueprint unveiled by Senate Budget Committee Chairwoman Patty Murray (D-Wash.) on Tuesday to her Democratic colleagues would also turn off the next nine years of the sequester and replace those spending cuts with a 50-50 mix of tax increases and spending cuts.

The budget would dedicate $100 billion to economic stimulus in the form of infrastructure spending and job training.

Murray argues that her budget cuts $1.85 trilion from deficits over ten years. But once the sequester cuts are turned off, Murray’s budget appears to reduce deficits by about $800 billion, using the Congressional Budget Office’s baseline. The Murray budget does not contain net spending cuts with the sequester turned off.

The details of Murray’s budget came hours after House Budget Committee Chairman Paul Ryan (R-Wis.) released his budget, which reduces tax rates and slashes spending much more deeply that Murray’s budget.

The Ryan budget would balance in 10 years without raising taxes and by reducing spending over the next decade by $5.7 trillion compared to the CBO baseline.

While Ryan’s budget would reduce the highest tax rate from 39.6 percent to 25 percent, providing a significant tax cut to the wealthiest households, Murray’s budget would raise $975 billion in tax revenue by closing corporate and individual tax loopholes.

More details on the tax plan were expected Wednesday when the committee begins its formal markup of the budget.

Murray’s budget also will contain reconciliation instructions on tax reform, a move that could allow the budget, which cannot be filibustered in the Senate, to become the legislative vehicle for a tax reform bill. This would also allow a tax bill to move through the Senate under a majority vote, since reconciliation bills cannot be filibustered.

Senate Finance Committee Chairman Max Baucus (D-Mont.) has opposed including the instructions in the budget, arguing it would tie his hands in tax reform.

The $975 billion in spending cuts include $240 billion in savings from the end of the Afghanistan war and $242 billion in reduced interest payments, according to a source.

Republicans have criticized Democrats in the past for counting these as spending cuts, and Ryan made a point in his budget of producing a different baseline that did not count CBO’s projected savings from war and disaster spending.

The Murray budget will include $493 billion in other spending cuts, including $275 billion in health savings that do not cut entitlement benefits, a source said.

Ryan’s budget, in contrast, includes a Medicare reform proposal that would give future beneficiaries the option of getting subsidies to buy private insurance, which would cut the program’s costs.

Murray is presenting her budget as addressing weak economic growth first and foremost, and as protecting Medicare in contrast to the House GOP plan, which she calls a voucher system.

Murray argues that when $2.4 trillion in deficit reduction from the last Congress are counted, her budget presents the kind of $4 trillion balanced deficit reduction plan called for by Obama fiscal commission chairmen Sen. Alan Simpson (R-Wyo.) and former White House Chief of Staff Erskine Bowles.

http://thehill.com/blogs/on-the-money/budget/287625-senate-dem-budget-includes-nearly-1-trillion-in-new-taxes

shane77m
03-12-2013, 12:44 PM
Murray’s budget would raise $975 billion in tax revenue by closing corporate and individual tax loopholes.

Will be interested to see what the individual loopholes are. I imagine charitable contributions would be on the chopping block.

Christian Liberty
03-12-2013, 12:51 PM
I used to sympathize with the loophole argument but then I learned they will never EVER actually cut the taxes along with the loopholes. Once the income tax rate is down to 5% in the top bracket, I'll be willing to discuss it.

TokenLibertarianGuy
03-12-2013, 01:03 PM
The $975 billion in spending cuts include $240 billion in savings from the end of the Afghanistan war and $242 billion in reduced interest payments, according to a source.

I love how those count as spending cuts.

thequietkid10
03-12-2013, 03:20 PM
I think I'm the only one on this board who thinks this way....but if I could cut the 115 trillion in unfunded liabilities, in like, half. I would support this....

Fox McCloud
03-12-2013, 03:30 PM
$1.85 trillion cuts from the deficit....over 10 years. Translation? It means that instead of the deficit kicking in at roughly July 31 it will kick in the 3rd week of August; big freaking deal; it's definitely a cut, but, like the sequester, it's quite negligible in the long run.

sailingaway
03-12-2013, 05:22 PM
Senate Democrats, including Senate Budget Committee chairwoman Sen. Patty Murray, are hiding their budget from their Republican colleagues, Breitbart News has learned exclusively. Murray did share her budget plan with her Democratic colleagues on Tuesday.
The budget is scheduled for markup on Wednesday morning in committee, and senators are only expected to read opening statements at the hearing. It will not be until later on Wednesday that Republicans will be allowed to read the full budget proposal.
House Budget Committee chairman Rep. Paul Ryan, on the other hand, shared his budget with his Democratic colleagues ahead of its release. It is unclear why Murray will not show the budget to Republicans ahead of the Wednesday morning markup hearing. A Murray spokesman has not immediately returned Breitbart News’ request for comment.
A Senate Republican aide told Breitbart News it is possible Senate Democrats will not share their budget ahead of its public release with their colleagues across the aisle because it embarrasses them.
“I think it speaks volumes about Senate Democrats’ fear of the American people that they must hide their plan until they’ve first had a chance to mislead the media about it,” the Senate GOP aide said in an email. “If they had courage and confidence their plan would be popular, they would have been on the Sunday shows and holding press conferences bragging about it, as did Chairman Ryan. Instead, it’s leaks and crickets.”
What is known about Murray’s budget is already proving problematic for the Democrats. The Hill reports the budget includes $1 trillion in tax hikes; Murray claims it contains about $1.85 trillion in deficit reduction between spending cuts and tax hikes. Murray’s budget also voids sequester cuts for the next nine years.
The Hill’s Erik Wasson notes that “once the sequester cuts are turned off, Murray’s budget appears to reduce deficits by about $800 billion, using the Congressional Budget Office’s baseline.” He adds that Murray’s budget “does not contain net spending cuts with the sequester turned off.”
http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Government/2013/03/12/Problems-already-Senate-Democrats-hiding-budget-from-Republicans

green73
03-12-2013, 06:52 PM
Dear, I already posted this.

oyarde
03-12-2013, 11:25 PM
I have an offer for Senate Dems , I will buy them all a rope, with my own money, not taken from others if only half of them use it to hang themselves.I am hoping for the best , I know how they cannot resist " free" shit...

oyarde
03-12-2013, 11:28 PM
I consider them to be one of the foulest collections of wasted humanity ever collected at one time in the same place in the history of the Americas.

TheTexan
03-12-2013, 11:33 PM
Talking about balancing the budget has nothing to do with balancing the budget and everything to do with making the world think you're balancing the budget.

The budget cannot be balanced at this point. But can't let people know that.

Keith and stuff
03-12-2013, 11:42 PM
Does anyone know where the tar and feathers are?

Occam's Banana
03-12-2013, 11:45 PM
http://www.brobible.com/files/uploads/made/files/archive/images/buzz/thankyousir1_640_451_s_c1_center_top_0_0.jpg

HOLLYWOOD
03-13-2013, 01:36 AM
The FY2013 deficit will be $1 Trillion between overspending and the interest on the debt.