PDA

View Full Version : Rand Paul Cool on Breaking Up Big Banks, Open to Starving Them

supermario21
03-12-2013, 09:51 AM
What to think of this? I read something somewhere that said Ron was opposed to repealing Glass-Steagal, so this doesn't seem to be a much different stance, does it?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/03/12/rand-paul-banks_n_2860242.html?1363102773

WASHINGTON -- Following on the breakout success of his anti-drone filibuster, expect Sen. Rand Paul (R-Ky.) to be on the lookout for other populist-themed issues that have the same potential to generate flash mob-type energy in the political and social media arenas.

On the domestic and economic front, breaking up the big banks would be a natural candidate. It's an idea that has begun to gather some supporters on the right, chief among them Sen. David Vitter (R-La.) and pundit George Will.

But Paul, during a 45-minute breakfast with reporters hosted by the National Review on Tuesday morning, said he is not comfortable with the concept as it has been discussed to date, because the current proposals are too government-centered in their responses. And Paul made clear he feels little kinship with Teddy Roosevelt's brand of aggressive government trust-busting.

"I still struggle with the idea," Paul said. "It reminds me too much of Teddy Roosevelt with the big stick breaking up trusts."

Paul did, however, say he would like to limit the size of the big banks through alternative methods.

"What I've been thinking about -- and I've met with several people, I don't know that they have a solution yet -- is a way to do something like Glass-Steagal, to do something like what George Will is talking about, but not with the heavy hand of government, but withholding government insurance," Paul said. "Maybe there's a limit to how much government insurance. I mean, some of that we've had. We've had it on deposits: I think we were at $100,000 and we went up to $250,000. Limiting to $100,000 helps to limit the size of banks."

Glass-Steagal was a 1933 law that erected a wall between commercial banking and investment banking within financial institutions. It was repealed in 1999 by the Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act.

Paul was hazy on the details beyond that, however. The only thing he added is that he would like to explore "whether or not there's a way to limit anything that government gives that encourages bigness, the banks being too big to fail, basically."

Paul also riffed on the origins of the Tea Party and Occupy Wall Street as reactions to the Wall Street bailout of 2008 under President George W. Bush.

"The Tea Party, I always say, is more like the American Revolution, and Occupy Wall Street is more the French Revolution," Paul said. "We hearken back to sort of rules. We weren't unhappy with people just because they were rich; we weren't happy with you if you were making money off of our taxes and we were bailing you out. If you were making $100 million, your bank goes bankrupt and all of a sudden we bail you out and you're still making $100 million -- that upset us. Whereas I think Occupy Wall Street was more of a generic sort of, 'We just hate people who have any money, and why can't they give it to us?' kind of thing."

Varin
03-12-2013, 10:01 AM
He wants to solve the problem with big banks by cutting of the government subsidies that created them. Personally I think it is the right thing and probably popular to.

supermario21
03-12-2013, 10:03 AM
Yeah, no sense in funneling taxpayer money to huge banks and then bailing them out. I live in a very Dem area and this would actually win him lots of votes here. People always call in and complain about the same things Rand addresses here.

itshappening
03-12-2013, 10:10 AM
They need to stop them making commissions on the bond purchases. That's a massive subsidy.

AuH20
03-12-2013, 10:17 AM
What about raising their reserve requirements so they overleverage themselves??

Slutter McGee
03-12-2013, 10:35 AM

The problem with that is that it would kill most smaller banks.

Slutter McGee

TokenLibertarianGuy
03-12-2013, 10:57 AM

No, more government mandates is not the answer. Get rid of the FDIC and make it illegal for any financial institution to receive any bailout, loan from the Treasury or credit from the Fed at below-market rates. That's a first step, then obviously legalize competing currencies.

Dianne
03-12-2013, 11:10 AM
They actually need to throw some bank executives like Brian Moynihan in prison for the rest of their lives.. The banks are not at fault, the mobsters who run them are.

Brian4Liberty
03-12-2013, 11:15 AM
They need to stop them making commissions on the bond purchases. That's a massive subsidy.

"Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts."

surf
03-12-2013, 11:17 AM

good call. concessions (commissions) from the gov't (or GSEs) are huge, particularly the more "complex" a bond is.

TonySutton
03-12-2013, 11:19 AM
No, more government mandates is not the answer. Get rid of the FDIC and make it illegal for any financial institution to receive any bailout, loan from the Treasury or credit from the Fed at below-market rates. That's a first step, then obviously legalize competing currencies.

and PROSECUTE FRAUD!

Brian4Liberty
03-12-2013, 11:20 AM
They actually need to throw some bank executives like Brian Moynihan in prison for the rest of their lives.. The banks are not at fault, the mobsters who run them are.

Absolutely. We need aggressive prosecution of fraud and other financial crime when it occurs at the biggest banks. We prosecute shoplifters to the full extent of the law, yet white-collar financial criminals and con-men might receive a fine which is a small fraction of their ill-gotten gains, if and only if they are actually prosecuted (which is rare).

Brian4Liberty
03-12-2013, 11:23 AM
He wants to solve the problem with big banks by cutting of the government subsidies that created them. Personally I think it is the right thing and probably popular to.

We need to eliminate subsidies, loopholes, and any other crony benefit that the big banks and brokers get from the government. We also need to eliminate any unreasonable barriers to small and new banks. Banking and finance is complex and prone to fraud, yet laws and rules should not exist for no other reason than to be a barrier to competition.

supermario21
03-12-2013, 11:34 AM
Rand might have some unique bipartisanship here. First with Wyden, and maybe now with Warren, who might agree with Rand here.

TokenLibertarianGuy
03-12-2013, 11:38 AM
Rand might have some unique bipartisanship here. First with Wyden, and maybe now with Warren, who might agree with Rand here.

I can't see Warren being on board with eliminating deposit insurance.

dancjm
03-12-2013, 02:23 PM
"The Tea Party, I always say, is more like the American Revolution, and Occupy Wall Street is more the French Revolution," Paul said. "We hearken back to sort of rules. We weren't unhappy with people just because they were rich; we weren't happy with you if you were making money off of our taxes and we were bailing you out. If you were making $100 million, your bank goes bankrupt and all of a sudden we bail you out and you're still making $100 million -- that upset us. Whereas I think Occupy Wall Street was more of a generic sort of, 'We just hate people who have any money, and why can't they give it to us?' kind of thing."

Well said :D