PDA

View Full Version : Daily Caller: Rand Paul 2016 pick for conservatives according to online poll

T.hill
03-12-2013, 02:28 AM
Rand Paul was in first place, Scott Walker 2nd, and Marco Rubio 3rd.

Out of 190,000 votes cast.

http://dailycaller.com/2013/03/12/online-poll-rand-paul-the-conservative-pick-for-president-in-2016/

eleganz
03-12-2013, 02:40 AM
Rand Paul won a poll without us knowing about it? amazingly mainstream.

I say we didn't know about it because I didn't see it here on RPF or on FB.

kathy88
03-12-2013, 03:22 AM
Christie and Bush are last.

compromise
03-12-2013, 03:41 AM
Great news. Rand is the only electable 2016 candidate.

FriedChicken
03-12-2013, 07:11 AM
The way this poll was conducted (head to head match offs, choose your favorite) IMHO only determines the top tier, not the front runner. It also seems like they put a bunch of people in the poll that have no intention of running which would muck up the results as well.

Still good news, but honestly I expected a wider lead margin considering the past week. This week dwarfs the Santorum Surge in publicity so I would have thought Paul would be completely untouchable for the time being.

Hoping for a huge landslide at CPAC - fliliblizard came in perfect timing for that.
Hopefully Paul will get to respond to the state of the union next time as well to keep the image of "the new/improved GOP" posterboy.

Varin
03-12-2013, 07:33 AM
The way this poll was conducted (head to head match offs, choose your favorite) IMHO only determines the top tier, not the front runner. It also seems like they put a bunch of people in the poll that have no intention of running which would muck up the results as well.

Still good news, but honestly I expected a wider lead margin considering the past week. This week dwarfs the Santorum Surge in publicity so I would have thought Paul would be completely untouchable for the time being.

Hoping for a huge landslide at CPAC - fliliblizard came in perfect timing for that.
Hopefully Paul will get to respond to the state of the union next time as well to keep the image of "the new/improved GOP" posterboy.

The Poll was conducted before the filabuster.

supermario21
03-12-2013, 08:41 AM
There's my ticket: Paul-Walker!

SneakyFrenchSpy
03-12-2013, 12:03 PM
Paul-Amash after Justin becomes Senator in '14.

Christian Liberty
03-12-2013, 12:07 PM
Paul-Amash ticket would be awesome.

T.hill
03-12-2013, 12:22 PM

Hecker said that Rand Paul was the clear favorite from day one of the poll, even before the senator’s dramatic filibuster last week, but “given Rand Paul’s passionate performance … it’s understandable that the base is so supportive of him.”

What that says to me is that Rand Paul has a much higher ceiling [of support] than his father did,” Hecker said.

economics102
03-12-2013, 12:41 PM
Great news. Rand is the only electable 2016 candidate.

Ron Paul was the only electable candidate in 2012. Didn't seem to help him :)

FSP-Rebel
03-12-2013, 01:09 PM
Ron Paul was the only electable candidate in 2012.
To us and reality but not to those that tell the rest of the bunch how to think.

Christian Liberty
03-12-2013, 01:10 PM
No, I'm sure the GOP leadership knew RP had a better shot than Romney... the thing is, the GOP leadership preferred Obama over Romney.

Lucille
03-12-2013, 01:10 PM
Rand Paul won a poll without us knowing about it? amazingly mainstream.

I say we didn't know about it because I didn't see it here on RPF or on FB.

I know, right? LOL

I wanted a Paul-Sanford ticket in '08, and '12. I guess I'll stick with that for '16.

FSP-Rebel
03-12-2013, 01:15 PM
No, I'm sure the GOP leadership knew RP had a better shot than Romney... the thing is, the GOP leadership preferred Obama over Romney.
I was thinking more of the media but, yeah, either way they may have seen the obvious and decided the unelectable meme was their shield thinking if they repeated it at length it would serve its purpose. There's no way possible way this could apply to Rand.

Christian Liberty
03-12-2013, 01:28 PM
Why wouldn't it? I don't see why the GOP establishment would like him much better.

FSP-Rebel
03-12-2013, 01:31 PM
Why wouldn't it? I don't see why the GOP establishment would like him much better.
Because there's no track record of him being labeled [fill in blank] for that meme to make any sense, not to mention the sensation he's become. I can see him being labeled extreme or dangerous only to have Rand throw it back in their face like he did to Trey back in the primary.

Christian Liberty
03-12-2013, 01:46 PM
Because there's no track record of him being labeled [fill in blank] for that meme to make any sense, not to mention the sensation he's become. I can see him being labeled extreme or dangerous only to have Rand throw it back in their face like he did to Trey back in the primary.

That's true. I still think the mainsteam GOP would scheme against him though. Then again, does it really matter if they can just rig the rules the way they did last time to prevent Ron from having a shot? Or are there ways around that?

Uriah
03-12-2013, 03:26 PM
Where are the results?

jllundqu
03-12-2013, 03:44 PM
All this crazy 2016 talk is makin my head hurt ;)

RPfan1992
03-12-2013, 04:00 PM
Kentucky Sen. Rand Paul is leading an online poll being conducted by Contract From America as the conservative pick for president in 2016.

With 190,000 votes cast as of Monday morning, Paul leads, with Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker and Florida Sen. Marco Rubio rounding out the top three. New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie and former Florida Gov. Jeb Bush are running in last place, ranked 32 and 31 respectively.

Contract From America (CFA) is a nonprofit conservative organization that promotes the “Contract From America” that was first drafted and embraced in 2010 by tea party Republicans.

CFA distributed the poll to tea party chapters and leaders, and conservative organizations across the country, and asked voters to choose their favorite candidate in 12 to 15 head-to-head match-ups featuring 32 possible candidates.

Rand Paul leads the poll, winning 80 percent of his match-ups, with Walker winning 76 percent and Rubio winning 73 percent. (RELATED AUDIO: Paul says McCain, other opponents are “on the wrong side of history”)

“I haven’t seen it online before, the kind of polling we do. … It’s kind of unique, but it’s also within an historical preference voting model,” said Ryan Hecker, who heads Contract from America.

“We based it off of the preference voting model, where you try to show every single variation of the candidates against each other, and from that try to get a full set of preferences,” he continued.

Hecker said that in 2012, the CFA poll had then-Rep. Ron Paul running in the lower third of the Republican primary field, which, while generally accurate with primary results, was “atypical for online polls” that usually gave Paul landslide victories.

Hecker said that Rand Paul was the clear favorite from day one of the poll, even before the senator’s dramatic filibuster last week, but “given Rand Paul’s passionate performance … it’s understandable that the base is so supportive of him.”

“What that says to me is that Rand Paul has a much higher ceiling [of support] than his father did,” Hecker said.

Read more: http://dailycaller.com/2013/03/12/online-poll-rand-paul-the-conservative-pick-for-president-in-2016/#ixzz2NMiVm7V1

http://dailycaller.com/2013/03/12/online-poll-rand-paul-the-conservative-pick-for-president-in-2016/

whoisjohngalt
03-12-2013, 04:15 PM

So as has been pointed out, this poll started before the filibuster. We don't know how many samples were gathered before and after so it's difficult to attribute anything to that.

I would like to add that i don't understand your point about how putting people who have no intention of running would muck up the results. That's why they do head to head because it avoids this effect. If you put someone who isn't running but is popular in a traditional, pick one poll than you might skew the results. This gives you evidence of who peoples second third fourth choice is etc. Instead of allowing them to rank the candidates themselves, you do it much more accurately by pitting every single pairing head-to-head.

anaconda
03-12-2013, 04:55 PM
He's catchin' on, I'm tellin' ya!

RonPaulFanInGA
03-13-2013, 09:41 AM
http://redalertpolitics.com/2013/03/12/sen-rand-paul-leads-poll-for-2016-gop-presidential-pick/