PDA

View Full Version : Rand's meeting the president this week...

itshappening
03-11-2013, 07:31 PM
Wolf said Obama is meeting Senate GOP caucus this week.

What should Rand ask him? Bear in mind he'll only get a limited time and Obama will probably be meeting with 40 of the senators.

I would definitely push him on Audit the Fed and ask him to get Reid to bring it up in the Senate. That would pass easy and the House and would be a victory. He needs to shame Obama to his face when he meets him to get him to bring it up.

Christian Liberty
03-11-2013, 07:33 PM
Obama wouldn't audit the Fed... Honestly if I could counsel Rand I would tell him to just call Obama a mass murderer who deserves to be Nuremberg Trialed and given a legal death penalty to his face... Granted, that wouldn't be good strategy politically but I just wanted to say it. Rand isn't going to get anywhere with one of the most evil men in the world.

itshappening
03-11-2013, 07:34 PM
Also ask him about the Hemp bill..

"would you support reclassifying it? It would mean jobs in my state".

I dont think he should waste time on suggesting anything to do with entitlements or grand bargains. That's just a trap for higher taxes.

He should press him on those two pieces of legislation and try and get a promise that they will come up in the Senate over the next 12 months.

Then Obama can move on and meet the next senator. Your 5 minutes is up.

Christian Liberty
03-11-2013, 07:36 PM
Also ask him about the Hemp bill..

"would you support reclassifying it? It would mean jobs in my state".

I dont think he should waste time on suggesting anything to do with entitlements or grand bargains. That's just a trap for higher taxes.

He should press him on those two pieces of legislation and try and get a promise that they will come up in the Senate over the next 12 months.

Then Obama can move on and meet the next senator. Your 5 minutes is up.

You must have missed my post... That wasn't serious advice for Rand. But I don't see him actually getting Obama to do anything. Not because Rand is ineffective, far from it, Rand just shook up the senate. But because Obama is a pure, unadulterated evil murderer who's got nothing to lose.

itshappening
03-11-2013, 07:40 PM
You must have missed my post... That wasn't serious advice for Rand. But I don't see him actually getting Obama to do anything. Not because Rand is ineffective, far from it, Rand just shook up the senate. But because Obama is a pure, unadulterated evil murderer who's got nothing to lose.

Don't underestimate persuasion. Rand should use his 5 minutes with Obama to secure promises that his bills will come up in the Senate and he should be blunt and to the point and see what he says.

That's an effective use of the limited time I think. Getting into a debate or suggesting "fixes" to entitlement programs like Wolf wants him to is just pointless. Secure a promise from him and get something out of the 5 minutes.

anaconda
03-11-2013, 07:45 PM
Ask Obama, as a professor of constitutional law, to take his best shot at reciting the 5th Amendment word for word, and then briefly discuss two or three supreme court decisions that have most meaningfully clarified it's place in U.S. law.

fr33
03-11-2013, 07:56 PM
Yeah... talk to him about the 5th amendment and also the 10th amendment (Not using DOJ on CO and WA).

itshappening
03-11-2013, 08:01 PM
If i was a senator i'd want to secure promises my bills come up this year. That gives Rand a tangible victory and I would be blunt to the president and press him hard for that promise and ask him for a name of someone in the WH who my staff can keep in contact with. That puts pressure on him to fulfil the promise and order Reid to bring them up.

The 5th/10th is a waste of time. He made his point the other night although im sure Obama will be curious and talk to him about it but Rand should not indulge him and press him hard for promises on Audit the Fed and Hemp and keep pressing until he secures a promise.

Christian Liberty
03-11-2013, 08:01 PM
Don't underestimate persuasion. Rand should use his 5 minutes with Obama to secure promises that his bills will come up in the Senate and he should be blunt and to the point and see what he says.

That's an effective use of the limited time I think. Getting into a debate or suggesting "fixes" to entitlement programs like Wolf wants him to is just pointless. Secure a promise from him and get something out of the 5 minutes.

I don't even think Obama thinks he's doing anything good at this point. I think he's just evil. The mainstream Republicans too. Of course, Rand kinda has to play within the system to influence the system, but I do think he means well. I don't think that the anti-liberty people mean well. I honestly would just relish hearing someone tell him he deserves execution. He'd probably go into shock.

economics102
03-11-2013, 09:03 PM
In all honesty, if I were Rand, I'd simply try to have a good joke.

Remember folks, Dennis Rodman is hangin' with Kim Jong Il. Maybe Rand could hang with the President :)

P3ter_Griffin
03-11-2013, 09:08 PM
audit the fed sounds good to me.

Christian Liberty
03-11-2013, 09:12 PM

Remember folks, Dennis Rodman is hangin' with Kim Jong Il. Maybe Rand could hang with the President :)

I don't quite consider this equivalent. I call Obama a dictator all the time. In a just world, he'd face trial for capital murder alongside both Bushes, Clinton, and Carter. Still, its pretty hard to be as bad as the Kims. There's no country worse than NK.

Matt Collins
03-11-2013, 09:26 PM

After this, Rand told me he's not going to try comedy again LULz... :p

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YfaqTXJWbQ0

economics102
03-11-2013, 09:28 PM

Ouch, I forgot about that...

Christian Liberty
03-11-2013, 09:31 PM
If he wanted to be serious he'd tell Obama what I said. Any actual policy proposals he gives to the President would be comedic. I mean, its not like Obama is going to do anything that the son of Paul says anyway. Call him a freaking murderer and get it done with.

(That's a pundits job, oh well. I also probably would not actually do this in Rand's position. But this is an excuse to rant.)

economics102
03-11-2013, 09:31 PM
I don't quite consider this equivalent. I call Obama a dictator all the time. In a just world, he'd face trial for capital murder alongside both Bushes, Clinton, and Carter. Still, its pretty hard to be as bad as the Kims. There's no country worse than NK.

It was just a joke, I wasn't trying to equate the two. Though, like in every good joke, there's a small grain of truth... :)

american.swan
03-11-2013, 09:38 PM
I'd just say something like, "you aren't going to make me filibuster again are you?, cause it wasn't fun."

Brian4Liberty
03-11-2013, 09:43 PM
Ask Obama, as a professor of constitutional law, to take his best shot at reciting the 5th Amendment word for word, and then briefly discuss two or three supreme court decisions that have most meaningfully clarified it's place in U.S. law.

There's a good one.

And maybe a discussion of the war on drugs and it's cost to society, the budget and to the Bill of Rights.

Or maybe ask him what Homeland security needs with all of the hollow point bullets, that are banned by the Geneva Convention.

economics102
03-11-2013, 09:43 PM
I'd just say something like, "you aren't going to make me filibuster again are you?, cause it wasn't fun."

(grips hand tightly) "I rise today to begin to filibuster the handshake of President Barack Obama. I will shake, until I am no longer able to shake."

Cowlesy
03-11-2013, 09:51 PM
They'll probably make Rand sit in the back and he'll have to yell out "Don't drone strike me bro!"

MaxPower
03-11-2013, 10:11 PM

Ouch, I forgot about that...
The funny thing is, I thought Rand was good, at least in places; the audience of Washington D.C. insiders didn't like his jokes because he pointed out certain ugly truths that reflected poorly on them. People are less likely to enjoy humor at their own expense, and especially when the things they're being lampooned for are, at base, very serious.

itshappening
03-12-2013, 01:54 AM
There's a good one.

And maybe a discussion of the war on drugs and it's cost to society, the budget and to the Bill of Rights.

Or maybe ask him what Homeland security needs with all of the hollow point bullets, that are banned by the Geneva Convention.

+1 that's a good one Brian on the bullets. Rand should ask this question since he's on Homeland committee.

But i'm not sure if rehashing circular arguments about the war on drugs when you get a few mins with the president is a good idea. We're chipping away at it and putting the Feds in a tough spot with nullification in WA and CO. I would still press him hard for a promise on his own bills to come up this year especially since it's likely he has the votes to pass them and ask for someone in the WH who he can keep in contact with so he can keep up the pressure to deliver on the promise. I wonder if he'll just said "that's up to Harry Reid but i'll see" or something like that?

I wonder if we can get an insider like Collins to let us know what he actually is able to say to him and report back here.

thoughtomator
03-12-2013, 02:02 AM
If he wants to pick something Obama can relate to, he should try to discuss pot legalization

itshappening
03-12-2013, 02:09 AM
He could also warn him to stay out of Syria:

"Assad's a bad man but is replacing him with radical islamics a good idea?"

T.hill
03-12-2013, 03:08 AM
If he wants to pick something Obama can relate to, he should try to discuss pot legalization

Or lessening federal punishments of all drug-related crimes like he's been trying to do.

Tinnuhana
03-12-2013, 03:12 AM
So, he talks with Obama about legalizing hemp and auditing the fed, and then Obama tells Harry Reid to getting those bills to the floor? Is that how it works?
As a senator representing his state's interests, the legalization of hemp would help Rand on the home front.
It may be, however, that Obama has questions of his own and doesn't want input beyond that.

itshappening
03-12-2013, 03:22 AM
So, he talks with Obama about legalizing hemp and auditing the fed, and then Obama tells Harry Reid to getting those bills to the floor? Is that how it works?
As a senator representing his state's interests, the legalization of hemp would help Rand on the home front.
It may be, however, that Obama has questions of his own and doesn't want input beyond that.

I think it's up to Harry Reid but Reid is a stubborn old fool who is reluctant to allow votes on Republican bills so if the president said something he might be nudged to bring them up.

Rand has the votes on these two bills I'm pretty sure of it. The audit the Fed has Democrat co-sponsors and the Hemp one does too.. That's a good indication of a majority in the senate. The problem is Reid controls the floor and so won't bring them up. Rand can try and get the WH to pressure Reid. Obama is the president and de facto party leader of the Democrats. Reid listens to him.

If Rand gets these two bills passed this Congress it will be a major political victory and it's probably the only thing he can get passed as 51 votes looks likely on at least one of them if not both.

anaconda
03-12-2013, 04:48 PM

I had not seen this before and I found it genuinely funny. Not sure what was up with the audience.

No Free Beer
03-12-2013, 04:58 PM
Obama wouldn't audit the Fed... Honestly if I could counsel Rand I would tell him to just call Obama a mass murderer who deserves to be Nuremberg Trialed and given a legal death penalty to his face... Granted, that wouldn't be good strategy politically but I just wanted to say it. Rand isn't going to get anywhere with one of the most evil men in the world.

http://static.tumblr.com/nqiyquo/iwWm8wmy9/anniesideeye.gif

Napolitanic Wars
03-12-2013, 05:03 PM
Not sure what was up with the audience.

It wasn't the first time:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BSE_saVX_2A

rubioneocon
03-12-2013, 05:11 PM
Wolf said Obama is meeting Senate GOP caucus this week.

What should Rand ask him? Bear in mind he'll only get a limited time and Obama will probably be meeting with 40 of the senators.

. . .

really , Rand will probably only need to listen . . .

but should Rand actually get to ask President BO anything on a personal level,
maybe he can ask about their future 2017 meeting to discuss the transition of government.

http://i372.photobucket.com/albums/oo161/sunblush/giveusbackourdesk01.jpg

It should be seamless, unlike the Bill Clinton staffers stealing WH typewriter keys
all the while guys are learning to fly - and not take off or land - jumbo jets at their Florida flight school.

Damn right Condi Rice was pissed off at the Dimocrats.

thoughtomator
03-12-2013, 05:19 PM
It wasn't the first time:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BSE_saVX_2A

Wow that's incredibly not funny.

itshappening
03-14-2013, 03:56 PM
Rand snubbed the president to go to CPAC...

Sadly because the president is a petty moron it'll mean it's going to be tougher to get those bills to come up out of spite and payback if nothing else.