PDA

View Full Version : How to Influence Congressmen (Senator Moran KS)

american.swan
03-10-2013, 04:30 PM
TechCrunch Interview:

How To Influence A Congressman

While Moran admitted that lobbyist money does influence politicians, he argued that it was quid pro quo. Rather, Senators are most influenced by personal conversations, which money often buys through fancy dinners. “I think this is true of almost all humans: we kind of crave the connection with people. And if you get to know somebody, you can influence the way they think based upon that connection,” he said.

To equal the playing field between average citizens, Moran advises activists to use social media to get on policymakers’ or their staffs’ radar, which then peaks enough interest to begin personal conversations with the small guy. “The best way to connect with people still today, despite the value of social media, is human relations.

The massive online protest against the Stop Online Piracy Act (SOPA) was especially important to Moran. “It was very appealing to me to find that there is an issue and a medium of communication that gives me the opportunity to have a relationship with a whole new set of Kansans that otherwise would not have been involved in my life.

The upshot from Moran’s talk seems to be that the influence is as much about education as politicking, if not more so. Both the public and policymakers are drowning in information. Those who can get face time, no matter the size of their bank accounts, have the opportunity to be the most important source of information upon which everyone bases their decisions.

Krzysztof Lesiak
03-10-2013, 04:33 PM
I don't think Moran is a friend of liberty. Honestly, Rand's only real allies in the Senate are Mike Lee and to a lesser extent Ted Cruz. That's it, unfortunately.

compromise
03-10-2013, 05:14 PM
Good read. Thanks for linking.

The way I look at it, there are many tiers within the GOP.

First the top tier, true defenders of liberty like us such as Amash, Miller, Rand or Massie.
The second tier (libertarian-leaning) is Lee, Cruz, Mack, Schweikert and Labrador.
The third tier (libertarian-influenced) is Flake, DeMint, Walsh, Mulvaney, Heller, Gosar and Gowdy.
The fourth tier (conservative with a touch of liberty) is Toomey, Ron Johnson, Steve King, Coburn, Scott, Palin, Mourdock, Akin and Moran.
The fifth tier (one night liberty stand) is McConnell, Cornyn, Risch, Crapo, Enzi, Barrasso, possibly Rubio too.

I'm willing to vote for or donate to anyone up to the fourth tier in a close race, although I obviously contribute more to top tier candidates.

Fivezeroes
03-10-2013, 05:16 PM
Here is how you really influence a congressman..

http://blog.ovrdrv.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/MoneyStack-300x199.jpg

Adrock
03-10-2013, 05:17 PM
Good read. Thanks for linking.

The way I look at it, there are many tiers within the GOP.

First the top tier, true defenders of liberty like us such as Amash, Miller, Rand or Massie.
The second tier (libertarian-leaning) is Lee, Cruz, Mack, Schweikert and Labrador.
The third tier (libertarian-influenced) is Flake, DeMint, Mulvaney, Heller, Gosar and Gowdy.
The fourth tier (conservative with a touch of liberty) is Toomey, Johnson, Coburn, Scott, Palin, Mourdock, Akin and Moran.
The fifth tier (one night liberty stand) is McConnell, Risch, Crapo, Enzi, Barrasso, possibly Rubio too.

I'm willing to vote for or donate to anyone up to the fourth tier in a close race, although I obviously contribute more to top tier candidates.

I really hope that Miller runs again this cycle. I also hope he has learned to run a tighter ship with his campaign and message control.

itshappening
03-10-2013, 05:21 PM
Maybe we can get TC to take Moran out for a fancy dinner in Kansas if that's all it costs to buy this senator it might be worthwhile.