PDA

View Full Version : Humor as a counterattack strategy

vertesc
05-18-2007, 10:55 AM
Remember that one of the most powerful currencies is emotional currency. One of the best ways you can advocate for Dr. Paul is to make light of his opponents.

Remember the story of the KKK - post WWII, they were an octopus of an organization, with tentacles in everything. Stetson Kennedy was an activist against them, but he couldn't do any damage! He infiltrated the organization, and tried sending information about criminal activities to attorney-generals, to governors, and newspapers. Nothing worked, until he sat at a dinner party, across the table from a writer for the Superman radio show. He started feeding the Superman writers all of the KKK's secret code names, handshakes etc, and in weeks everyone under 12 was playing "superman and KKK"... using real klan secrets! This action is often credited with decimating the KKK in the 1940s, to the marginal place it holds today. After all, who could take themselves seriously when their kids dressed up in bedsheets and played the same game?

Now, I'm not suggesting we call up Ninja Turtles to see if they'll fight Giuliani (though AWESOME if they would lol). But disdain and humor are powerful conversational tools, especially against larger organizations. Remember: Fox isn't frightening and biased, it's HILARIOUS.

"Did you see their skit about Ron Paul the other day? Maybe the funniest thing I've ever seen. Do you think they hire real newscasters for that stuff?"

Next time you want to tease someone for going on a rant on a favorite subject, call them "fair and balanced".

When someone BSes their way out of a situation, tell them they were "a better liar than Fox!"

Any other suggestions?

tnvoter
05-18-2007, 11:58 AM
don't worry guiliani isn't being supported by christian right, he can only go so far, and will not get the nomination.

romney probably won't get the support of the christian right either... not for a very long time unless he's about to win - anyways..

and mccain can't even give a straight answer in the debates, and his polls and finances are dropping dramatically.

Keep informing people of the defender of the Constitution. Heres some laughs for ya.

http://img408.imageshack.us/img408/1408/n28117377355656737267er5.jpg

winston_blade
05-18-2007, 12:38 PM
I love this idea. I think it could work very well.

aravoth
05-18-2007, 12:54 PM
I made a nice little rudy vid late last night, Like I said it isn't polished or anything, I just did it for fun.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vSk4SUpWVuY

Korey Kaczynski
05-18-2007, 12:59 PM
http://photos-802.ak.facebook.com/ip002/v71/10/90/514870610/n514870610_446802_4460.jpg

Anne
05-18-2007, 02:58 PM
I agree completely.

Unfortunately, a sense of humor is sorely lacking from many people on this forum. I humorously suggested starting an anti-Giuliani petition and got bitch-slapped by a few do-gooders who don't want to "stoop to their level."

Where is the humor, folks? Why so much fear about offending people?

Satire is where it's at. Humor will help win the election, not dour seriousness.

qednick
05-18-2007, 03:02 PM
Anne, don't get disheartened. I agree some humor helps. I think some people are just maybe concerned about giving the enemy camp any ammunition to use against us.

qednick
05-18-2007, 03:05 PM
I made a nice little rudy vid late last night, Like I said it isn't polished or anything, I just did it for fun.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vSk4SUpWVuY

Ahhh that is so funny. I just love the bit at the end where they're all throwing their money at him. :D

Anne
05-18-2007, 03:11 PM
Anne, don't get disheartened. I agree some humor helps. I think some people are just maybe concerned about giving the enemy camp any ammunition to use against us.

They don't need any ammunition. They are just making up lies at this point. If we can make the people making up the lies look like jokes and expose them with humor, then we win.

Sending letters to the editor isn't going to cut it IMO.

We aren't giving anyone ammunition. We are playing the game. It's all a game, folks. If we take ourselves too seriously and say that we will never "stoop to their level" then we will never be participants in the game at all.

vertesc
05-18-2007, 05:45 PM
There is merit to the "stoop to their level" comment. We have to be careful with the humor we use. It must be subtle, and not mass broadcasted, or else the law of unintended consequences (AKA blowback lol) will bite us in the ass.

An example is the reputation Paulites are getting as flamers. One person saying "giuliani's the terrorist!" can be satire and even funny. 16000 of us beating that over the head is another matter. 16,000 is enough to make anything serious... a petition that large to ban rudy would be taken seriously by some, no matter what. Furthermore, it would dilute the significance of the REAL petitions we are using as weapons.

What I mean is more subtle. Things entering into conversation, or posted on blogs. Things that cannot be traced any better than one of Fox's famous "I've heard people say that..." statements. If a "giuliani" enters the vernacular as meaning "a slimey SOB who takes advantage of people's emotions to use them indiscriminately", that's a very powerful weapon that CANNOT be turned around on us. If 16,000 people sign a document making that assertion, ron paul supporters look like assholes. See the difference?

For the record, I thought the petition was funny, though. I've always been a fan of irony. :)