PDA

View Full Version : John Yoo to Rand Paul: Leave Barack Obama Alone on Targeted Killing!

jct74
03-09-2013, 09:52 PM
John Yoo to Rand Paul: Leave Barack Obama Alone on Targeted Killing!

By Adam Serwer| Thu Mar. 7, 2013 1:23 PM PST

John Yoo, the author of the Bush administration legal memos justifying the use of torture, thinks President Obama is really getting too much grief over targeted killing. And he wants Sen. Rand Paul (R-Ky.)—who filibustered Obama's nominee to head the CIA for 13 hours on Wednesday—to lay off.

"I admire libertarians but I think Rand Paul's filibuster in many ways is very much what libertarians do, they make these very symbolic gestures, standing for some extreme position," said Yoo, now a UC Berkeley law professor, who once suggested it was okay for the president to order a child's testicles be crushed. Referring to Paul's marathon filibuster, an attempt to force the Obama administration to clarify its views on the use of military force against terror suspects in the United States, Yoo said "It sort of reminds me of young kids when they first read The Fountainhead or Atlas Shrugged and they suddenly think that federal taxation equals slavery and they're not going to pay any federal taxes anymore." Yoo's statements were made on a conference call Thursday held by the Federalist Society, an influential conservative legal organization.

Yoo said that he thought the administration's problems stemmed from its belief that it needed to provide "due process" to terror suspects abroad—or even in the United States, referring to a recently leaked white paper outlining the Obama administration's legal views on targeted killings of US citizen terror suspects. Indicative of how the debate over Obama's counterterrorism policies has scrambled the usual partisan divides, Yoo said he agreed with the conclusion reached in Attorney General Eric Holder's letter to Paul earlier in the week suggesting that the president could order the use of military force on US soil under certain extreme circumstances. "I think it's right if an American joins an enemy with which we are at war he is or she is a valid target as an enemy combatant. That's been the rule throughout our history," Yoo said. "People in the Civil War were all American citizens, but the ones who took up arms were members of the enemy."

read more:
http://www.motherjones.com/mojo/2013/03/john-yoo-rand-paul-andrew-mccarthy-obama-holder-drones

Cowlesy
03-09-2013, 09:53 PM
"I admire libertarians but

lol

matt0611
03-09-2013, 09:58 PM
http://images.sodahead.com/polls/000680799/polls_leave_Obama_alone_2011_989325_answer_5_xlarg e.jpeg

RickyJ
03-09-2013, 10:29 PM
If Obama decides to target Yoo, you can bet he will change his mind fast, but it will be too late.

surf
03-09-2013, 11:02 PM
what a miserable f#cking prick Yoo is.

Berkeley lost all credibility with this hire (not that they had much from a Husky's perspective)

he'll rot in hell with Cheyney

T.hill
03-09-2013, 11:05 PM
I didn't realize being critical of a President who's only assurance on the issue is that he doesn't intend to use drones In America to kill American citizens and whilst doing so still assumes the authority to American citizens was 'extreme.'

amy31416
03-09-2013, 11:11 PM
what a miserable f#cking prick Yoo is.

Berkeley lost all credibility with this hire (not that they had much from a Husky's perspective)

he'll rot in hell with Cheyney

It's totally insane to me that Berkeley students didn't lose their minds when they hired him--bunch of fucking hypocrites.

amy31416
03-09-2013, 11:13 PM
Doesn't it make things so obvious when Berkeley hires John Yoo? What else do you need to clue yourself in?

Christian Liberty
03-09-2013, 11:23 PM
He'd sooner target Rand Paul. Why target his allies? If the House of Satan makes war on itself, it will not stand...

Matthew5
03-09-2013, 11:32 PM
"People in the Civil War were all American citizens, but the ones who took up arms were members of the enemy."

Um, come again?? :confused: