PDA

View Full Version : Korean war reboot?

Original_Intent
03-09-2013, 04:41 PM
Pyongyang announced Friday that it is nullifying non-aggression pacts with South Korea and cutting the hotline with its neighbor. It comes after the UN Security Council adopted a resolution expanding sanctions against North Korea.

North Korea "abrogates all agreements on non-aggression reached between the North and the South," the state-run Committee for the Peaceful Reunification of Korea said in a statement.

"It notifies the South side that it will immediately cut off the North-South hotline," said the statement, which was carried by the official Korean Central News Agency. They are also closing the main Panmunjom border crossing inside the Demilitarized Zone

Smart3
03-09-2013, 04:56 PM
At this point, why not? As long the South strikes first.

Zippyjuan
03-09-2013, 05:07 PM
This has happend a few times before.

Pericles
03-09-2013, 05:13 PM
Only a fool would try to screw with South Korea. That is a serious military they have.

WM_in_MO
03-09-2013, 05:24 PM
Only a fool would try to screw with South Korea. That is a serious military they have. we fund and train for them
FTFY

Original_Intent
03-09-2013, 05:40 PM
This has happend a few times before.

Ah, did not know that. So this is probably just another "Israel and the U.S. are going to invade Iran within two weeks!" story.

Zippyjuan
03-09-2013, 06:18 PM
Possibly. It is true that the leadership has changed (or has it? Il Jung may be in charge or he may follow what others who have been around a long time tell him). Can't find any link right now but did hear a report that this will be the third time they shut down the hotline.

AngryCanadian
03-09-2013, 07:14 PM
Possibly. It is true that the leadership has changed (or has it? Il Jung may be in charge or he may follow what others who have been around a long time tell him). Can't find any link right now but did hear a report that this will be the third time they shut down the hotline.

What?

FSP-Rebel
03-09-2013, 08:03 PM
Kim Jong Eun is the point man but it's possible his uncle Jang Song Taek could be a strong mentor toward him as well as his aunt, Kim Jong Il's alcoholic sister. They're just trying to stir up domestic tension because the food situation there is meek, the police state clamp downs have people like wtf, plus all the money being spent on satellites and nuclear advancements are growing old on the many who are having hard times finding food thanks to the restrictions on market activity.

alucard13mmfmj
03-09-2013, 08:26 PM
south korea should just attack them before the north comes up with a way to deliver nukes.

and hope china and USA stays out of it.

ghengis86
03-09-2013, 09:23 PM
south korea should just attack them before the north comes up with a way to deliver nukes.

and hope china and USA stays out of it.

who do you think gave NK the nukes? and who do you think funds SKs military? (rhetorical, not directed at you) unfortunately for the Koreans, they are just proxies for the broader US-China power struggle.

I will agree with the above that this is par for the NK course when they need to extract a billion or so in food assistance. Having a nuke or two really does keep SK/US at bay and seems to be preventing any sort of SK/US pre-emptive strike. With the Asia pivot, NK has very good reason to be flexing its nuclear muscle and being increasingly beligerent to the west. sidebar: a pretty clear case study for Iran and how they need a nuke or two to keep Israel/US from a pre-emptive strike.

MRK
03-09-2013, 10:51 PM
Possibly. It is true that the leadership has changed

Which is why this sounds like the new kid on the block is just trying to flex his muscles a bit. He's got it real nice right now being top dog in Best Korea, and I don't think he's going to want to let that go to waste by starting a losing war with anyone.

After all, he's got so many more Globetrotters games with Dennis Rodman and Obama to watch.

Don Lapre
03-10-2013, 05:12 AM
Which is why this sounds like the new kid on the block is just trying to flex his muscles a bit. He's got it real nice right now being top dog in Best Korea, and I don't think he's going to want to let that go to waste by starting a losing war with anyone.

The question is, "WHY is the young douchebag flexing his muscles?"

I suspect it is because he thinks he is vulnerable from within his own country.

Perhaps he fears that forces within NK think he's just a clueless young @sshat who needs to be removed.

The acting out, flexing his muscles, etc., is an attempt on his part demonstrate to those within his own country that HE IS THE MAN.

That's my read on it.

You're right, any war will result in him losing his shweet gig - and very possibly his life.

So unless he's truly is just plain NUTZ, there is no upside for him to get a war stirred up.

KrokHead
03-10-2013, 05:36 AM
North Korea should worry more about not being broke rather than asking for war.

abacabb
03-10-2013, 05:44 AM
https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTRqjzUMBUbw5D5tVf61S5dDc2SH5Zyh pBFLkpK9ZXQR79-R7yC6g
Korean War Edition

ShaneEnochs
03-10-2013, 07:20 AM
It's just a bluff to get China to send them more shit.

Pericles
03-10-2013, 03:47 PM
FTFY

Know what you are talking about much? The mere mention of any military related topic on this board can bring forth the most ignorant commentary on a level with the most ignorant liberal with mental retardation.

South Korea builds its own military equipment for the most part, having learned long ago that the US Government is not to be trusted. If the S Koreans, buy foreign, it goes out to bid and they pay cash.

http://blogs.wsj.com/korearealtime/2012/05/11/south-koreas-military-shopping-list-is-long/

IN the 5 sided rat cage, more than once it has been remarked the purpose of US - S Korea defense ties is not to restrain N Korea, but to keep S Korea from kicking some butt. In the Vietnam War, even the Viet Cong were afraid of the S Koreans.

angelatc
03-10-2013, 03:58 PM
Kim Jong Eun is the point man but it's possible his uncle Jang Song Taek could be a strong mentor toward him as well as his aunt, Kim Jong Il's alcoholic sister. They're just trying to stir up domestic tension because the food situation there is meek, the police state clamp downs have people like wtf, plus all the money being spent on satellites and nuclear advancements are growing old on the many who are having hard times finding food thanks to the restrictions on market activity.

Listening to the McLaughlin Group discuss it this morning was a lesson in "Why A Country Might Want A Nuclear Weapon." With all the saber rattling and threats of war from a crazy dictator that mistreats his people, the conversation was limited to "Should Obama talk to them or not?" The answer was a definite yes from almost all sides. Eleanor was the non-committal. She obviously has to wait to see what Obama thinks before she develops an opinion. <rolls eyes>.

(And he wants to watch NFL football with Obama, which could be a problem since the season doesn't start until fall.)

american.swan
03-10-2013, 04:13 PM
I haven't noticed any change here. South Koreans are immune to the North's rhetoric. (Some in the South somewhat sympathize with the North) I've also noticed something very odd to me happening. Some South Koreans are openly hostile and racist to anyone from the North. I read in the newspaper here that a North Korean in a taxi was told "Why do you all keep coming here," in a rude manner.

kcchiefs6465
03-10-2013, 04:17 PM
I haven't noticed any change here. South Koreans are immune to the North's rhetoric. (Some in the South somewhat sympathize with the North) I've also noticed something very odd to me happening. Some South Koreans are openly hostile and racist to anyone from the North. I read in the newspaper here that a North Korean in a taxi was told "Why do you all keep coming here," in a rude manner.
What's your thoughts on the North Korea propaganda film they sent out? I wasn't sure if the tone was more of simply stating that the American empire would crash because we are everywhere or if it was impying that they would nuke us. The animation was incredibly shitty. I figured it was more of a way to rally North Koreans together than it was an actual threat. I read the translation but wasn't sure if it was accurate or not or what the tone was. Or maybe other phrases that could be misinterpreted? [such as the 'wiping Israel off the map' statement by Ahmadinejad]

03-10-2013, 04:22 PM
I think the upcoming exercises will end with both sides lobbing shells over the dmz at each other. Both will point fingers and blame each other, then the world will send food and oil to the north so it doesn't happen again until the next time it does. That's how this works, it's a never ending cycle.

Slutter McGee
03-10-2013, 04:32 PM
The big question is how much power does their oh great leader have over the military.

Slutter McGee

Todd
03-10-2013, 05:01 PM
Only a fool would try to screw with South Korea. That is a serious military they have.

No joke.

COpatriot
03-11-2013, 06:23 AM
Up on drudge now. North voids '53 armistice.

BAllen
03-11-2013, 09:27 AM
Who cares? Leave em alone to settle their own affairs.

COpatriot
03-11-2013, 11:55 AM
Who cares? Leave em alone to settle their own affairs.

I wish we would but we have just under 30,000 troops there. If this goes down, we're at war. Again.

ravedown
03-11-2013, 12:35 PM
im still a little concerned about what the UN (and the west) actually wants from N. Korea. Is it influence? what if the n koreans want to retain their sovereignty and culture. its suspicious when so much pressure is applied to a country who has said publicly that they want to avoid war- want direct talks with the US-saw what happened to iraq an would like to avoid a similar conflict etc. the rest of the world is more concerned about n. koreans than the damn s. koreans. i guess we need bad guys to keep the people afraid and the war machine on stand by.

KingRobbStark
03-11-2013, 12:39 PM
Exit terrorist, enter ninjas. The fear remains constant.