PDA

View Full Version : McCain Says He, Not Rand Paul, Represents ‘Party Of Ronald Reagan’

RonPaulFanInGA
03-09-2013, 02:54 AM
http://livewire.talkingpointsmemo.com/entry/mccain-says-he-not-paul-represents-party-of

compromise
03-09-2013, 03:05 AM
McCain represents the party of George Bush.

CaptLouAlbano
03-09-2013, 05:49 AM

He should be so lucky. McCain represents the party of JFK on economics and the party of Wilson on foreign policy - i.e. the textbook definition of a neo-conservative.

acptulsa
03-09-2013, 05:54 AM
Actually, Reagan famously rebuilt the party and brought it back to electoral success after the Nixon Debacle by building coalitions and bringing the libertarians and paleoconservative sympathizers back into the fold with sweet talk, (mostly empty) promises and outward shows of respect.

Which pretty much makes McCain the anti-Reagan.

robert68
03-09-2013, 08:46 AM

Kotin
03-09-2013, 09:52 AM
he does represent the party of reagan.. reagan was a big government, debt-creating, interventionist and was no conservative at all. anyone who says they are a reagan republican is suspect to me. I am sick and tired of the reagan worship.. the guy was a huge interventionist tool.

tod evans
03-09-2013, 09:57 AM
he does represent the party of reagan.. reagan was a big government, .

Reagan declares 'War on Drugs,' October 14, 1982

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/1010/43552.html

On this day in 1982, President Ronald Reagan declared illicit drugs to be a threat to U.S. national security.

Richard M. Nixon, the president who popularized the term “war on drugs,” first used the words in 1971. However, the policies that his administration implemented as part of the Comprehensive Drug Abuse Prevention and Control Act of 1970 dated to Woodrow Wilson’s presidency and the Harrison Narcotics Tax Act of 1914. This was followed by the creation of the Federal Bureau of Narcotics in 1930.

Speaking at the Justice Department, Reagan likened his administration’s determination to discourage the flow and use of banned substances to the obstinacy of the French army at the Battle of Verdun in World War I — with a literal spin on the “war on drugs.” The president quoted a French soldier who said, “There are no impossible situations. There are only people who think they’re impossible.”

Spreading the anti-drug message, first lady Nancy Reagan toured elementary schools, warning students about the danger of illicit drugs. When a fourth grader at Longfellow Elementary School in Oakland, Calif., asked her what to do if approached by someone offering drugs, the first lady responded: “Just say no.”

In 1988, Reagan created the Office of National Drug Control Policy to coordinate drug-related legislative, security, diplomatic, research and health policy throughout the government. Successive agency directors were dubbed “drug czars” by the media. In 1993, President Bill Clinton raised the post to Cabinet-level status.

Christian Liberty
03-09-2013, 09:57 AM
Who cares exactly what the party of Reagan is? I certainly hope that Rand Paul will be better than Reagan, and even with my skepticism of him I think he will be better than Reagan by a long shot if he gets in. Reagan may have been the best since '29 but that REALLY ain't saying much.

Christian Liberty
03-09-2013, 09:59 AM
Reagan declares 'War on Drugs,' October 14, 1982

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/1010/43552.html

On this day in 1982, President Ronald Reagan declared illicit drugs to be a threat to U.S. national security.

Richard M. Nixon, the president who popularized the term “war on drugs,” first used the words in 1971. However, the policies that his administration implemented as part of the Comprehensive Drug Abuse Prevention and Control Act of 1970 dated to Woodrow Wilson’s presidency and the Harrison Narcotics Tax Act of 1914. This was followed by the creation of the Federal Bureau of Narcotics in 1930.

Speaking at the Justice Department, Reagan likened his administration’s determination to discourage the flow and use of banned substances to the obstinacy of the French army at the Battle of Verdun in World War I — with a literal spin on the “war on drugs.” The president quoted a French soldier who said, “There are no impossible situations. There are only people who think they’re impossible.”

Spreading the anti-drug message, first lady Nancy Reagan toured elementary schools, warning students about the danger of illicit drugs. When a fourth grader at Longfellow Elementary School in Oakland, Calif., asked her what to do if approached by someone offering drugs, the first lady responded: “Just say no.”

In 1988, Reagan created the Office of National Drug Control Policy to coordinate drug-related legislative, security, diplomatic, research and health policy throughout the government. Successive agency directors were dubbed “drug czars” by the media. In 1993, President Bill Clinton raised the post to Cabinet-level status.

Yeah, this. Reagan isn't really what we want here. He was good at rhetoric but kinda sucked at actually being a good President. Then again, hasn't everyone after Coolidge sucked? Reagan might have sucked the least out of that limited group. At least he slashed taxes.

rubioneocon
03-09-2013, 10:03 AM
actually not even that . . .
McCain was very nearly Kerrys 2004 running mate . . .
because Bush43 and everyone in the great state of Texas
knows all about the McCain lie

supermario21
03-09-2013, 01:03 PM
http://www.mediaite.com/tv/mccain-to-piers-morgan-when-i-buck-gop-leadership-im-a-maverick-but-for-slamming-rand-paul-im-an-angry-old-man/

You guys should watch this, McCain was on Piers Morgan last night talking about Rand Paul.

Christian Liberty
03-09-2013, 01:05 PM
actually not even that . . .
McCain was very nearly Kerrys 2004 running mate . . .
because Bush43 and everyone in the great state of Texas
knows all about the McCain lie

Would Kerry have really been any worse than Bush?

heavenlyboy34
03-09-2013, 01:05 PM
he does represent the party of reagan.. reagan was a big government, debt-creating, interventionist and was no conservative at all. anyone who says they are a reagan republican is suspect to me. I am sick and tired of the reagan worship.. the guy was a huge interventionist tool.
this ^^

cajuncocoa
03-09-2013, 01:06 PM
All of the things Reagan did that seemed out of character for a conservative came after the assassination attempt...I believe he was threatened by his VP's henchmen.

itshappening
03-09-2013, 01:09 PM
Reagan did some good things which he had to do namely STOP the inflation and slash taxes.

As a result the economy boomed and I mean the real economy and millions of manufacturing jobs.

He did lots of bad stuff and got away with it because the economy was so good.

In fact it was so good his dumbass vice president rode to victory on it

kcchiefs6465
03-09-2013, 01:11 PM
Yeah, this. Reagan isn't really what we want here. He was good at rhetoric but kinda sucked at actually being a good President. Then again, hasn't everyone after Coolidge sucked? Reagan might have sucked the least out of that limited group. At least he slashed taxes.
What exactly did he slash?

IIRC taxes and spending both went up under Reagan.

itshappening
03-09-2013, 01:13 PM
What exactly did he slash?

IIRC taxes and spending both went up under Reagan.

The marginal tax rates came down under Reagan to 27% I think.

This is why the economy took off.

Christian Liberty
03-09-2013, 01:14 PM
IIRC Reagan did raise some taxes but I think he cut others which IIRC more than made up for it. It was spending where he wasn't so good.

sailingaway
03-09-2013, 01:16 PM
bs, McCain stands for the party of McKinley/Wilson

kcchiefs6465
03-09-2013, 01:16 PM
I believe McCain would illegally circumvent Congress and authorize whatever CIA black ops he could to fund terrorists in an unrelated country too.

Or declare war on inanimate objects..

I'd concede that they do have their similarities.

William R
03-09-2013, 01:23 PM
Ronald Reagan is America’s most beloved president of recent years. We remember how he restored prosperity while ending the Cold War without getting us all nuked. The affection for Reagan was shown when his death two years ago was followed by a national outpouring of grief and affection.

It’s worth looking back on Reagan’s policy on involving U.S. troops in the quarrels and hatreds of the Middle East. In 1983, he committed U.S. Marines to Lebanon. On Oct. 23, a terrorist truck bomb blew up the troops’ barracks, killing 220 Marines and 21 other troops.

At first, Reagan insisted that he wouldn’t cave in to the terrorist threat. Then he realized the best policy was to pull out the troops. Here’s how he explained it in his autobiography:

Perhaps we didn’t appreciate fully enough the depth of the hatred and the complexity of the problems that made the Middle East such a jungle. Perhaps the idea of a suicide car bomber committing mass murder to gain instant entry to Paradise was so foreign to our own values and consciousness that it did not create in us the concern for the marines’ safety that it should have.

In the weeks immediately after the bombing, I believe the last thing that we should do was turn tail and leave. Yet the irrationality of Middle Eastern politics forced us to rethink our policy there. If there would be some rethinking of policy before our men die, we would be a lot better off. If that policy had changed towards more of a neutral position and neutrality, those 241 marines would be alive today.

Reagan’s sensible policy — ” neutral position and neutrality” — should be followed today. Aside from helping Americans escape Lebanon, U.S. troops should not be involved in the war there. And troops now in Iraq should be brought home immediately. Almost 2,600 have been killed in Iraq, 10 times the number killed in Lebanon when Reagan decided to leave.

kcchiefs6465
03-09-2013, 01:25 PM
Wow, he did cut the highest income tax rate from 70% to 28%. That is great. I couldn't even imagine being taxed 70% on earnings. I wouldn't work.

Average accross the board was 23% I see. [in reduction of income tax. I applaud that]

But,

In 1983, for example, he signed off on Social Security reform legislation that, among other things, accelerated an increase in the payroll tax rate, required that higher-income beneficiaries pay income tax on part of their benefits, and required the self-employed to pay the full payroll tax rate, rather than just the portion normally paid by employees.

http://money.cnn.com/2010/09/08/news/economy/reagan_years_taxes/index.htm

http://i.imgur.com/C5BrLD0.gif?1

This was just a quick search. If any of this is wrong or misinterpreted, I'm open for corrections.

supermario21
03-09-2013, 01:26 PM
Why does nobody talk about Reagan post-Lebanon in terms of foreign policy (other than Ron Paul)? All I see is people on the hawkish right using Reagan to bolster their arguments, when if they look at history, Reagan had a moment which really made him think (and change) how we should be active in the world.

jkr
03-09-2013, 01:26 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OqC1kuOnL_s

sailingaway
03-09-2013, 01:27 PM
Ronald Reagan wanted a gold standard but told Ron 'they won't let me'. The guy was shot, so I hold onto my sentimentalism about him, in any event. McCain doesn't know economics. Remember?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKO7BxNNhMk

AuH20
03-09-2013, 01:30 PM
Barry Goldwater was very suspicious of his young colleague on the account that he felt that the younger McCain was too smitten with power. Looks like Barry Goldwater was proved right again for like the 1000th time. LOL

sailingaway
03-09-2013, 01:31 PM
Barry Goldwater was very suspicious of his young colleague on the account that he was too smitten with power. Looks like Barry Goldwater was proved right again for like the 1000th time. LOL

Yeah, there are good instincts, and then there is sticking to it when your path to power goes in a different direction.

kcchiefs6465
03-09-2013, 01:31 PM
And yet McCain was out to dinner with Barack Obama to reportedly speak about economics. :rolleyes:

T.hill
03-09-2013, 01:35 PM
Reagan was great pre-presidency, some libertarians really liked reagan for the good he did overall including before his presidency and some really dislike him for his empty promises as a libertarian-leaning candidate. Also, through a libertarian point of view, Reagan was not the best since Hoover, Eisenhower was a really good president. He did a whole lot more for the conservative branch of the republicans than Reagan ever did. Ron Paul himself has said Eisenhower was a really good president, he wasn't perfect, but really good. The historical perception that Eisenhower was a 'moderate' is relative to the times of course and really his legacy as a moderate comes almost solely from the fact he primaried Robert Taft anyway. Yet, they actually became good friends afterwards and Taft ended up having a pretty significant impact on him before he died.

itshappening
03-09-2013, 01:37 PM
McCain doesn't care about anything other than an increasing defense budget so the lobbyist cash keeps flowing and he stays in power forever.

If that means higher taxes then he'll support it.

Christian Liberty
03-09-2013, 01:47 PM
Reagan was great pre-presidency, some libertarians really liked reagan for the good he did overall including before his presidency and some really dislike him for his empty promises as a libertarian-leaning candidate. Also, through a libertarian point of view, Reagan was not the best since Hoover, Eisenhower was a really good president. He did a whole lot more for the conservative branch of the republicans than Reagan ever did. Ron Paul himself has said Eisenhower was a really good president, he wasn't perfect, but really good. The historical perception that Eisenhower was a 'moderate' is relative to the times of course and really his legacy as a moderate comes almost solely from the fact he primaried Robert Taft anyway. Yet, they actually became good friends afterwards and Taft ended up having a pretty significant impact on him before he died.

Ron Paul liked Eisenhower? Hmm... I don't terribly dislike Eisenhower but I don't see why I should be such a big fan. Eisenhower did balance the budget but he balanced it with a 91% top rate. He started Vietnam (Although LBJ made it worse). He called the idea of killing entitlements "Ridiculous" And wanted to make social democracy work "More efficiently" rather than killing it.

I'd much rather have had Robert Taft. I'd say Eisenhower was one of the better Presidents considering how many downright horrible ones that we've had. Eisenhower may be better than Reagan though, not sure. Between Vietnam and the massive tax rate that seems like a hard sell. Reagan at least cut taxes.

None of them should be mentioned in the same sentence as John Tyler, Grover Cleveland or Calvin Coolidge, however.

sailingaway
03-09-2013, 01:49 PM
Ron Paul liked Eisenhower? Hmm... I don't terribly dislike Eisenhower but I don't see why I should be such a big fan. Eisenhower did balance the budget but he balanced it with a 91% top rate. He started Vietnam (Although LBJ made it worse). He called the idea of killing entitlements "Ridiculous" And wanted to make social democracy work "More efficiently" rather than killing it.

I'd much rather have had Robert Taft. I'd say Eisenhower was one of the better Presidents considering how many downright horrible ones that we've had. Eisenhower may be better than Reagan though, not sure. Between Vietnam and the massive tax rate that seems like a hard sell. Reagan at least cut taxes.

None of them should be mentioned in the same sentence as John Tyler, Grover Cleveland or Calvin Coolidge, however.

Ron has said his favorites were Cleveland and Coolidge. when he has spoken of Eisenhower it has been on his warning about the MIC, and his statement that despite his expansion of federal funding to put in highways, 'nobody wants a revolution because of the highways'. I hadn't heard Ron say that overall Eisenhower was good, just better in some ways. Since presidents have gotten almost progressively worse, that would likely be true of most, barring Wilson and FDR....

acptulsa
03-09-2013, 01:53 PM
Ronald Reagan is America’s most beloved president of recent years. We remember how he restored prosperity while ending the Cold War without getting us all nuked. The affection for Reagan was shown when his death two years ago...

I don't know who you're quoting here, but the honorable thing to do would be to attribute this properly.

I want to respect Reagan for disbanding the ICC. But he could have nipped the ED in the bud, and didn't. Which left him as a pretender in my mind.

I'm inclined to consider Eisenhower and Kennedy as the only two postwar presidents I can stand, with an honorable mention for Carter who I think tried to be anti-establishment (and that's why they made him look incompetent and ineffective, which he should have seen coming).

Nearly a hundred horrible years since the Harding/Coolidge Administration kicked off the Roaring Twenties. We could really, really do with another Roaring Twenties. I wouldn't even complain about kicking it off a bit early...

T.hill
03-09-2013, 01:56 PM
Ron has said his favorites were Cleveland and Coolidge. when he has spoken of Eisenhower it has been on his warning about the MIC, and his statement that despite his expansion of federal funding to put in highways, 'nobody wants a revolution because of the highways'. I hadn't heard Ron say that overall Eisenhower was good, just better in some ways. Since presidents have gotten almost progressively worse, that would likely be true of most, barring Wilson and FDR....
The first time Ron ever voted for President, he actually voted for Eisenhower.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yjpPuJWL5G8

Edit: I don't think that's the video where Ron says Eisenhower was a very good president and he voted for him for President, but it exists, I've watched of many times.

CaptainAmerica
03-09-2013, 01:56 PM
McCain represents the party of George Bush. over9000

William R
03-09-2013, 01:59 PM
Reagan's Wisdom on the Middle East: Leave

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?386119-Reagan%92s-wisdom-on-the-Middle-East-LEAVE!

Feeding the Abscess
03-09-2013, 07:22 PM
All of the things Reagan did that seemed out of character for a conservative came after the assassination attempt...I believe he was threatened by his VP's henchmen.

Reagan was horrible as governor of California, too. Raised taxes and spending at record levels. His presidency was entirely in line with his record as governor.

anaconda
03-09-2013, 07:45 PM
Considering that the neocons overran the Reagan administration, the national debt swelled, FEMA sprouted its continuity of government legs, the military-industrial complex got filthy rich, the Savings & Loans were bailed out, and that Reagan blew off monster peace inspired concessions from Gorbachev, Senator McCain may be quite correct in his assessment.

presence
03-09-2013, 07:49 PM
http://www.darkgovernment.com/news/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/dick-cheney.jpg

satchelmcqueen
03-09-2013, 07:50 PM
awwe. mccain is asshurt :(