PDA

View Full Version : Army Suspending Tuition Assistance Program Due to Evil Sequester

AuH20
03-08-2013, 09:02 PM
You're telling me they couldn't make cuts someplace else? REALLY?

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2013/mar/8/army-suspending-tuition-assistance-program-active-/?utm_source=RSS_Feed&utm_medium=RSS

Zippyjuan
03-08-2013, 09:14 PM
The targets for sequester were carefully chosen so that people would oppose them- and be against further cuts in things.

Keith and stuff
03-08-2013, 09:16 PM
It wasn't a reliable program anyway. When I was in, you made to make sure and apply ASAP as the semester was starting, because the funds always ran out near the start of the semester.

Mini-Me
03-08-2013, 09:17 PM
The targets for sequester were carefully chosen so that people would oppose them- and be against further cuts in things.

Indeed, although that viewpoint's awfully conspiratorial for you, Zippy. ;) There was even a memo sent to agencies to ensure the cuts had the announced impact, i.e. forbidding them from taking steps to lessen the impact.

tttppp
03-08-2013, 09:40 PM
You're telling me they couldn't make cuts someplace else? REALLY?

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2013/mar/8/army-suspending-tuition-assistance-program-active-/?utm_source=RSS_Feed&utm_medium=RSS

So they cut the only legit reason to join the army?

Keith and stuff
03-08-2013, 09:44 PM
So they cut the only legit reason to join the army?
This isn't the GI Bill or a bonus. It is a program that is known to be unreliable. It isn't (or not by even remotely honest recruiters) a guaranteed program promised when people join.

tttppp
03-08-2013, 09:46 PM
This isn't the GI Bill or a bonus. It is a program that is known to be unreliable. It isn't (or not by even remotely honest recruiters) a guaranteed program promised when people join.

I have met retired Army vets who got their education for free. This isnt that program?

Keith and stuff
03-08-2013, 09:48 PM
I have met retired Army vets who got their education for free. This isnt that program?
That would likely be GI Bill. When I was in, this wasn't enough to cover community college costs. I don't know, TA might be a little more now but it isn't going to cover someone's education. Combined with the Army GI Bill, it might be able to, depending on where someone went to college.

MoneyWhereMyMouthIs2
03-08-2013, 09:56 PM
Indeed, although that viewpoint's awfully conspiratorial for you, Zippy. ;) There was even a memo sent to agencies to ensure the cuts had the announced impact, i.e. forbidding them from taking steps to lessen the impact.

lol. I thought the same thing.

hmmm. Maybe Zippy has a stat for that.