PDA

View Full Version : Source: Paul has sights set on 2016

green73
03-08-2013, 06:21 PM
http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2013/03/08/source-paul-has-sights-set-on-2016/comment-page-1/

Sen. Rand Paul, R-Kentucky, is so serious about running for president, he is actively taking all the steps "that someone in his position should be making," a GOP source familiar with Paul's activities told CNN.

His activities and travel plans indicate he wants to be a serious candidate with a real path to victory, the source said. He would be running to win-not to make a statement, an approach that his father, former Rep. Ron Paul, embraced in the most recent presidential election.

The first-term senator, who dominated national headlines this week with his nearly-13 hour filibuster, is staying in touch with grassroots activists who supported him and his father. Both Pauls are known for their libertarian leanings-though the younger Paul has notably struggled to woo some of his father's most ardent supporters.

According to the GOP source, Paul has a robust email list with more than two million addresses. He's been trying to build new relationships among grassroots supporters, by signing letters and sending emails for groups.

He's also been active in establishing relationships and building an informal finance committee. His team has been working to find donors with big pockets to supplement the small donor component of his and his father's political operation.

He plans to travel to South Carolina, which holds the first-in-the-nation primary, in the not too distant future, the source said. Paul made "soft promises" to people in other early voting states, including New Hampshire, Iowa and Nevada. The senator, however, doesn't think those trips are all that critical at this early stage, the source said.

In January, Paul also stoked speculation of a 2016 bid when he went to the Middle East and met with leaders in Jordan, Israel and the Palestinian leadership.

But how does the son differentiate himself from his father, who ran for president three times, on the national political stage?

"At the end of the day, Ron saw himself as a truth teller but he hated politics. He didn't want to think about how to message things. He wanted to travel around and speak truth and let chips fall where they may," the source said. "Rand wants to be honest and truthful and principled, but he is very conscious of his messaging and language. He wants to make a winning political argument."

Rand Paul is also trying to stake out his own claim in terms of foreign policy. While Ron is very much a non-interventionist, Rand is trying to forge a "third way" – comparing himself to George W. Bush circa 1999. He doesn't want to nation-build and he wants to be less bellicose and less aggressive than other Republicans, but still be aggressive and engaged in the world.

With the help of Senate Minority Leader and fellow Kentucky Sen. Mitch McConnell, Rand Paul was put on the foreign relations committee (over the objections of some more traditional Republicans). That position gives him more credible experience on foreign policy–a topic many struggle with on the campaign trail.

TokenLibertarianGuy
03-08-2013, 06:25 PM
Source: Paul has sights set on 2016

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-VtJuqE2bXGg/T_BrAz-BDpI/AAAAAAAAAsg/Xf70EXbFQPE/s1600/captain-obvious.jpg

supermario21
03-08-2013, 06:26 PM
Lol, he doesn't want to be like Ron, but rather George W. Bush of 1999, who Ron always said his foreign policy was similar to in presidential debates. Rand is such a great strategist lol.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oVoFkL20HGU

AuH20
03-08-2013, 06:27 PM
Rand Paul's meteoric rise is eerily reminscient of Obama's. But Obama had the MSM in his back pocket, which makes Paul's recent surge even more remarkable. I'm not sure how they're going to stop this train, but 3 and half years is a long way off.

Matt Collins
03-08-2013, 06:27 PM
There is nothing there that the causal observer would consider "news".

eleganz
03-08-2013, 06:29 PM
fuck dana bash

TaftFan
03-08-2013, 06:32 PM
Funny how they declare Ron wasn't in it to win it-at first he certainly was.

green73
03-08-2013, 06:41 PM

Not everybody is an insider like you. I'm not sure you have the perspective to make that comment.

p.s
Can I have an autograph?

MrGoose
03-08-2013, 06:47 PM
Rand Paul's meteoric rise is eerily reminscient of Obama's. But Obama had the MSM in his back pocket, which makes Paul's recent surge even more remarkable. I'm not sure how they're going to stop this train, but 3 and half years is a long way off. More like 2 years. That's when the rumblings of who will officially announce start. These elections are long. Imagine how much attention he's getting at this thing at such an off time. I expect more attention during the mid term elections as well.

I was about to say this is a 4 year effort, but then I though about how Ron built up this liberty following for years. Rands election is the culmination of a lot of effort...

Matt Collins
03-08-2013, 06:58 PM
Can I have an autograph?Maybe.

green73
03-08-2013, 06:59 PM
Maybe.

Of Jesse.

TokenLibertarianGuy
03-08-2013, 07:04 PM
p.s
Can I have an autograph?

Matt autographed my chest on New Years in Miami.

green73
03-08-2013, 07:07 PM

Followed later by body shots no doubt.

ronpaulfollower999
03-08-2013, 07:44 PM

Wha? You and teh Collinz were in Miami on New Years and didn't invite me? Glad I didn't send my birthday invites out yet. :mad:

Matt Collins
03-08-2013, 07:52 PM
Matt autographed my chest on New Years in Miami.Must've been a great party, I don't remember that part at all!

RickyJ
03-08-2013, 07:56 PM
Both Pauls are known for their libertarian leanings-though the younger Paul has notably struggled to woo some of his father's most ardent supporters.

After Rand Paul's defense of the Constitution for over 12 hours, I am now for the first time a supporter of Rand Paul!

He isn't perfect, but nobody is and I respect the heck out of what he did there on the Senate floor, that took some guts taking on the president like that.

green73
03-08-2013, 07:59 PM
Wha? You and teh Collinz were in Miami on New Years and didn't invite me? Glad I didn't send my birthday invites out yet. :mad:

You weren't invited? *awkward*

green73
03-08-2013, 08:00 PM
and you live in Miami *double awkward*

FSP-Rebel
03-08-2013, 08:01 PM
Must've been a great party, I don't remember that part at all!
That's because this was the condition you were in when we found you
http://i46.tinypic.com/205p7on.jpg

green73
03-08-2013, 08:01 PM
Don't sweat it, follower, it sounds like a wiener roast. Glad I had "the flu".

ronpaulfollower999
03-08-2013, 08:04 PM
Indeed green. If I want a good libertarian party with chicks, I hang out with Jack Hunter.

green73
03-08-2013, 08:06 PM
Indeed green. If I want a good libertarian party with chicks, I hang out with Jack Hunter.

https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQRet6hgVoIOTrjcIMxHdsxa2_JggEzb Bz60NiZEP57pbyAOAdv

His Halloween party was epic.

anaconda
03-08-2013, 08:15 PM

But the casual observer looks to the T.V. to find out who their choices for President are. This piece contributed to that end. Many people saw this who may have been still unfamiliar with Rand. They may not have even heard about the filibuster.

green73
03-08-2013, 08:23 PM
But the casual observer looks to the T.V. to find out who their choices for President are. This piece contributed to that end. Many people saw this who may have been still unfamiliar with Rand. They may not have even heard about the filibuster.

Exactly. That's why I pointed out that Matt's perspective has been distorted by being on "the inside".

Matt Collins
03-08-2013, 09:29 PM
That's because this was the condition you were in when we found you
http://i46.tinypic.com/205p7on.jpg
No, that picture is highly inaccurate. The hotel I was at had golden commodes. This was Collins Ave on South Beach ya know...

Matt Collins
03-08-2013, 09:31 PM
Indeed green. If I want a good libertarian party with chicks, I hang out with Jack Hunter.Correction. Jack Hunter hangs out with me, and for the same reason

heavenlyboy34
03-08-2013, 09:58 PM
Nice bread and circuses! ;)

alucard13mmfmj
03-08-2013, 11:07 PM
fuck dana bash

indeed.

Christian Liberty
03-08-2013, 11:34 PM
Good for Rand, and good for America.