PDA

View Full Version : Holy Smokes, Batman! McCain just got called an 'interventionist' on Fox!

radiofriendly
03-08-2013, 04:35 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d4zFi2TvRQ0

On Fox’s Studio B this afternoon, Shepard Smith put the pressure on Sen. John McCain (R-AZ) to explain his seeming disdain for Sen. Rand Paul‘s (R-KY) Wednesday filibuster regarding the executive branch’s authority to use targeted assassinations against American citizens on U.S. soil. At one point during the interview, McCain became offended at Smith’s suggestion that he is an “interventionist” when it comes to foreign policy...

http://iroots.org/2013/03/08/sen-mccain-gets-called-an-interventionist-on-fox-news/

supermario21
03-08-2013, 04:36 PM
Check out my thread about an end to GOP interventionism. Full interview there.

dannno
03-08-2013, 04:37 PM
lol *Snort*

acptulsa
03-08-2013, 04:38 PM
Tell the truth about McCain, and face his moral outrage. Some things never change.

No wonder they won't let me interview the fat old bastard. I'd ask him how he squares 'peace through strength' with his constant calls for more 'leadership' in Middle Eastern affairs...

Quark
03-08-2013, 04:45 PM
We are in a great position now in the GOP. If Rand (and other's) work continues, I think the GOP will be quite different in 2016 when he's running!

FSP-Rebel
03-08-2013, 04:47 PM
We are in a great position now in the GOP. If Rand (and other's) work continues, I think the GOP will be quite different in 2016 when he's running!
Yep, let Rand take care of the top while we take care of the bottom. Presto!

Tunink
03-08-2013, 04:47 PM
This is insane.

supermario21
03-08-2013, 05:02 PM
McCain and Graham are going to push the GOP foreign policy in our direction. Nobody likes them anymore. Now we just have to prove that Rubio is essentially a young Cheney.

Michigan11
03-08-2013, 05:15 PM
Very interesting to see happen, but really this is how trends surface. This movement has been boiling up from under for the past few years. When things looked their bleakest is when things are about to change, and I think we saw the bleakest as we fought tooth and nail over the past few years and the people were coming our way, yet the media resisted as they did, and that fillibuster event was the straw on the camel that broke the rushing water thru the dam? The media is now on our side?

Christian Liberty
03-08-2013, 05:17 PM
Wait, I thought John Mccain was a non-interventionist who supported only defensive wars. Sure fooled me.

(Saracasm.)

twomp
03-08-2013, 05:21 PM
We should all write a letter to McCain and thank him. The media could have brushed this aside by now and move back to their stupid sequester discussion but McCain keeps on opening his mouth and the hits keep on rolling....

dancjm
03-08-2013, 05:22 PM
lol *Snort*

Exactly what I did!

jmdrake
03-08-2013, 05:22 PM
LOL. Look at how McCain zeroed in on the "bomb bomb bomb" Iran "joke" but said nothing about his support for intervention in Libya and Syria.
And my jaw dropped on the floor in the first 30 seconds where a Fox News commentator said "There is a long held conservative and republican view on war...to avoid it at all cost." :eek: Pinch me. Am I dreaming? Is Fox pushing the idea that endless elective and preemptive wars are not conservative? If this keeps up, in 2016 Rand will be able to run on Ron's platform and win the GOP nomination.

Patrick Henry
03-08-2013, 05:23 PM
Now we just have to prove that Rubio is essentially a young Cheney.
LMAO

jmdrake
03-08-2013, 05:33 PM
Very interesting to see happen, but really this is how trends surface. This movement has been boiling up from under for the past few years. When things looked their bleakest is when things are about to change, and I think we saw the bleakest as we fought tooth and nail over the past few years and the people were coming our way, yet the media resisted as they did, and that fillibuster event was the straw on the camel that broke the rushing water thru the dam? The media is now on our side?

Hadn't thought of that. Sure seems like it. :confused:

bunklocoempire
03-08-2013, 05:36 PM
LOL. Look at how McCain zeroed in on the "bomb bomb bomb" Iran "joke" but said nothing about his support for intervention in Libya and Syria.
And my jaw dropped on the floor in the first 30 seconds where a Fox News commentator said "There is a long held conservative and republican view on war...to avoid it at all cost." :eek: Pinch me. Am I dreaming? Is Fox pushing the idea that endless elective and preemptive wars are not conservative? If this keeps up, in 2016 Rand will be able to run on Ron's platform and win the GOP nomination.

Intervention? You mean "strong America" to prevent war. Let's keep the terms straight here. Senator McCain clearly explained it for you. :toady:

Y U WANT WEAK AMERICA AND WAR!?

It's really sad that a TARP voter would still be around spewing the stuff McCain spews. :(

mad cow
03-08-2013, 05:54 PM
You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.

The Northbreather
03-08-2013, 06:02 PM
wonders never cease

rubioneocon
03-08-2013, 06:05 PM
WOW

Thanks for posting this !

I am going to have someone here youtubed for you McCain that will damn straight call you as you are . . .
and how we should be warned against you and your type . . .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_II0H7X5O4

mosquitobite
03-08-2013, 06:10 PM

I keep saying this - it's now suddenly become cool to dance!
http://iroots.org/2013/03/07/lessons-from-rand-paul-the-shirtless-dancing-guy/

jkob
03-08-2013, 06:24 PM
Keep talking John, we'll make a champion of liberty out of you yet!

rubioneocon
03-08-2013, 06:37 PM
Keep talking John, we'll make a champion of liberty out of you yet!

Rejecting McCain . . .
from 2008 CNN talks to RP . . .
"I want to change the system
. . . I want a debate instead of a ritual, instead of a charade" very good walk down memory lane with Rand's Dad

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&v=UcVkbPfXs1k&NR=1

MrGoose
03-08-2013, 06:58 PM
itshappening.jpg

Shift in the right direction. The Fed was once a taboo subject for crazies until Ron brought it to light. Non interventionism was the same way. The way is clearing for Rand....

seapilot
03-08-2013, 07:04 PM
McCain's eyes are blinking like crazy. Either he is on some serious meds or he is lying his ass off.

jct74
03-09-2013, 12:35 AM
McCain was also on CNN w/ Piers and discussed Rand's filibuster:
http://www.mediaite.com/tv/mccain-to-piers-morgan-when-i-buck-gop-leadership-im-a-maverick-but-for-slamming-rand-paul-im-an-angry-old-man/

here's the full video in OP by the way:
http://www.mediaite.com/tv/shep-smith-grills-mccain-over-his-rand-paul-criticism-offends-him-by-calling-him-interventionist/

thoughtomator
03-09-2013, 12:37 AM
It's groundbreaking. I wonder if the command will be given from on high that the word "interventionist" is forbidden henceforth?

dskalkowski
03-09-2013, 01:29 AM
Isn't it just astonishing there was a time when McCain would go on FOX and it would be a sin to try to question him? This is seriously incredible..

CaptLouAlbano
03-09-2013, 06:49 AM
McCain and Graham are going to push the GOP foreign policy in our direction. Nobody likes them anymore. Now we just have to prove that Rubio is essentially a young Cheney.

I don't think we will need to do anything about Rubio. He really is not all that polished. I think too many folks got their hopes up that a young, handsome, Hispanic would be able to be a sort of JFK for the GOP and bring in the youth and Hispanic vote. But, I think people are starting to realize that he just isn't that good from the podium. I have been trying to keep an open mind when watching him at his big moments (the RNC and the State of the Union response), and honestly he isn't that impressive.

Working Poor
03-09-2013, 07:23 AM
All we need to do about Rubio is make it clear he is owned by Bush/Cheney.

AlexAmore
03-09-2013, 07:29 AM
I don't think we will need to do anything about Rubio. He really is not all that polished. I think too many folks got their hopes up that a young, handsome, Hispanic would be able to be a sort of JFK for the GOP and bring in the youth and Hispanic vote. But, I think people are starting to realize that he just isn't that good from the podium. I have been trying to keep an open mind when watching him at his big moments (the RNC and the State of the Union response), and honestly he isn't that impressive.

That's exactly it. He seems young and awkward. In fact, if you watch him during the filibuster he's very similar to Ron Paul in that he talks fast and high pitched. Unfortunately it hurt Ron during his election. Then watch Rand Paul, very calm but stern. Think about this, Obama is very polished and ultimately became president and he talks so f'ing slowly....ummmm....uhhhhhh....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=roQy7iKaHo8

CaptLouAlbano
03-09-2013, 07:47 AM
All we need to do about Rubio is make it clear he is owned by Bush/Cheney.

That actually only works for the online libertarian blog reading crowd, who already do not like Rubio. Like I said earlier, Rubio will shoot himself in the foot. I don't think he has the charisma or speaking ability to go far. I think we need to keep an eye on Jeb, but I think the stench of the Bush name will hurt him more than anything else.

Lucille
03-10-2013, 10:22 AM
McCain: Who Are You Calling an Interventionist?
http://www.theamericanconservative.com/larison/mccain-who-are-you-calling-an-interventionist/

It’s a bit odd that someone who incessantly calls for military intervention is offended when he is described as a reliable supporter of military interventions. John McCain was talking to Shepard Smith last week, and took issue with being called an interventionist, which he said was “absolutely false”:
[...]
It’s true that advocates of military intervention overseas don’t usually call themselves by this name, but it seems to me to be as close to a neutral term to describe their position as one can hope to have. There are many more pejorative and abusive names that could be used to describe McCain’s foreign policy views that would be comparable to the isolationist label that he flings at the end of the clip. It might be understandable if he objected to one of those, but an interventionist is undeniably what McCain is. This is someone who has called for or supported some form of U.S.-led military intervention in at least five countries in the last fifteen years*, not counting missile strikes in various countries and his “we are all Georgians” folly. His first instinct is typically to demand or threaten U.S. military action in response to a crisis or conflict. Would he prefer militarist or jingoist instead? Perhaps warmonger is more to his liking?
[...]
It’s impossible to miss that McCain’s career since the mid-’90s has been defined by his eagerness for the U.S. to project power, use force to “transform” and “shape” the politics of other countries, and to intervene militarily in the internal affairs of other nations. There may be occasions when even McCain recognizes that military intervention would be ineffective or impractical (apparently Zimbabwe is a bridge too far even for him), but he starts from the assumption that the U.S. should intervene militarily all over the world and only then (and only some of the time) does he consider whether it could achieve anything.

The most preposterous thing in this clip is McCain’s insistence that he believes in “peace through strength,” which is what every hawkish interventionist says when he won’t or can’t defend his real policy views. If he believed in “peace through strength,” he wouldn’t be constantly trying to find reasons for the U.S. to start or join wars. The reality is that his preferred foreign policy is one of exhausting strength through constant warfare.

supermario21
03-10-2013, 10:28 AM
That actually only works for the online libertarian blog reading crowd, who already do not like Rubio. Like I said earlier, Rubio will shoot himself in the foot. I don't think he has the charisma or speaking ability to go far. I think we need to keep an eye on Jeb, but I think the stench of the Bush name will hurt him more than anything else.

Jeb Bush I guess said today he was "in line with Lindsey Graham." Even though it was on a different issue, this is not the time you want to associate yourself with Lindsey Graham.

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/politics/2013/03/jeb-bush-im-in-sync-with-lindsey-graham-on-immigration-reform/?cid=ESPNheadline

affa
03-10-2013, 01:34 PM
The media is now on our side?

Never.

Michigan11
03-10-2013, 01:39 PM
Never.

:D

Article V
03-10-2013, 03:29 PM
At one point during the interview, McCain became offended at Smith’s suggestion that he is an “interventionist” when it comes to foreign policy...Shephard Smith is in the news section of Fox; so, unlike the Fox opinion shows (F&F, O'Reilly, Hannity, Greta, etc.), Shep doesn't give away too many clues as to his political views. That said, watching Shep all these years, I've always suspected he's actually a libertarian or at least libertarian-leaning. He basically always agrees with Judge Nap and isn't afraid to say so (which is refreshing on Fox).

alucard13mmfmj
03-10-2013, 04:46 PM
hope we dont get co-oped... seems too perfect for things to be going Rand's way.

Michigan11
03-10-2013, 05:49 PM
hope we dont get co-oped... seems too perfect for things to be going Rand's way.

I don't think it's possible to co-opt a Ron Paul supporter lmao, we all have a hard enough time agreeing on something as it is. The more you learn about liberty and freedom, the more your mind begins to de-program from the falsehoods we have all learned. Somewhere along the way we become the past definition of what an American is.

Something interesting is Ron would throw rocks, and the media threw rocks back. Rand sort of massages the message into others, while the media I suspect is going to react similarly. Two different methods, and two different responses. Although I would take the second approach because the average viewer is ready for the media responses to that.