PDA

View Full Version : So, Who Is Lying, Rand Paul or Jesse Benton?

ctiger2
03-08-2013, 02:36 PM
http://www.economicpolicyjournal.com/2013/03/who-is-lying-rand-paul-or-jesse-benton.html

I'd love to know the truth. It will directly impact my future decision making.

WSJ reports:

Sen. Rand Paul (R., Ky.) said he didn't start his day with a plan to mount a filibuster, and hadn't even worn his most comfortable shoes to work.

But when opportunity knocked on Wednesday, the Kentucky Republican started talking and didn't stop until nearly 13 hours later, logging a historic, old-time Senate filibuster.

But Jesse Benton, adviser to Mitch McConnell and who is married to one of Ron Paul's granddaughters, told National Journal:

Eleven days before he spent nearly 13 hours filibustering on the Senate floor, Sen. Rand Paul floated his idea to block the president’s pick for CIA director to one of Sen. Mitch McConnell’s top political strategists over a Saturday night dinner of lasagna and red wine at his home in Bowling Green, Ky.[...]After the dinner, Benton reached out to McConnell’s office, detailing Paul’s plans and his hopes for support. An important line of communications had been opened.

ItsTime
03-08-2013, 02:38 PM
Sounds like both can be true...

Cowlesy
03-08-2013, 02:38 PM
How is it lying? I am sure that Paul discussed doing the filibuster with McConnell before doing it. He probably didn't make the decision to go through with it until the day of. Why must everything be a forensic conspiracy.

Tunink
03-08-2013, 02:39 PM
McConnells just trying to hitch on to the re-election train. He know's Rand is the future, so does Benton.

acptulsa
03-08-2013, 02:40 PM
Why does one of them have to be lying?

No, I don't believe Rand Paul would have, or could have, just up and filibustered without thinking it out before hand. That said, there's no reason to believe that, as he arrived at the Capitol building that morning, he knew that would be the day he'd do it.

Sometimes you come up with the idea of striking while the iron's hot. But that doesn't mean you know exactly when the iron's going to be hot...

TheGrinch
03-08-2013, 02:40 PM
I'd love to know the truth. It will directly impact my future decision making.

Seriously? Man, we have some drama queens here. Don't mean that as an ad-hominem, but who cares if it was premeditated, spontaneous, or like the articles suggest, that he had the idea to fillibuster (after all he's done it before recently), but didn't have a concrete plan to until it happened.

Even if it didn't go down exactly as either said, does not make it a lie worth anything at all. It would be a total white lie embleeishment. Let me know if you have any policy discrepencies, because this is just silly...

FSP-Rebel
03-08-2013, 02:42 PM
:eek:

:rolleyes:

libertyplz
03-08-2013, 02:46 PM
Like others have said, I'm not seeing the problem here. Rand has said that they had discussed filibustering, but they weren't sure when they were going to do it. It just so happened that the opportunity to do so presented itself the other day.

radiofriendly
03-08-2013, 02:48 PM
Ultimate way to start a freakout amongst the drama-creators (I'll be nice). Mention, gasp, Benton...Dun, dun dun! (dramatic music!)

If you listen to Rand Paul's full statement, he said he knew he was going to do it in the coming days---just not sure when because it's like stealing the ball from the majority party...he got a chance (didn't have his comfortable shoes) and he went with it. They are both correct. Let's keep the drama focused on Lindsey and McCain, not trying to divide the already small and fractured liberty movement.

Eyes on the ball!