PDA

View Full Version : RNC Chairman: Rand Paul’s filibuster ‘completely awesome’

compromise
03-08-2013, 10:25 AM
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/post-politics/wp/2013/03/08/rnc-chairman-rand-pauls-filibuster-completely-awesome/

Republican National Committee Chairman Reince Priebus weighed in with enthusiasm on Sen. Rand Paul’s 13-hour filibuster over the possibility of drone strikes on U.S. soil.

“Listen, I think it was completely awesome,” he told the Des Moines Register during a visit to Iowa. “I was excited about it myself, I couldn’t go to bed. I’m still excited about it.”

He said in the Thursday interview that it was the sight of Republicans coming together that cheered him.

“You know what I’m excited about? I think our party needs some unity sometimes,” Priebus said. “[I]t’s not easy not having the White House. And sometimes you’ve got to scrap and claw for issues that can unify a party. Now, and that’s not totally unity, but this was a great issue in standing up against the president, asking some simple, important questions, and I was happy to see so many other Republican senators support Sen. Paul.”

While several GOP senators did rally to Paul’s side – including Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) — as Priebus acknowledged, the whole caucus was not on board. Sens. Lindsey O. Graham (R-S.C.) and John McCain (R-Ariz.) strongly condemned the filibuster.

Paul dropped his block on the nomination of John O. Brennan as director of the Central Intelligence Agency after receiving a letter Thursday from Attorney General Eric H. Holder Jr., who said definitively that an American not in combat could not be killed by a drone on U.S. soil. Brennan has since been confirmed by the Senate.

CaptLouAlbano
03-08-2013, 10:29 AM
Interesting way that article is written. It really pushes McCain and Graham to the fringe of the party, and Paul becomes mainstream.

Bern
03-08-2013, 10:31 AM
McCain and Graham are domestic extremists.

CaptLouAlbano
03-08-2013, 10:33 AM
McCain and Graham are domestic extremists.

Drudge had a really bad picture of McCain on the headline yesterday with some statement about the Old Guard criticizing Rand. Definitely intentional on Drudge's part and well played.

kathy88
03-08-2013, 10:40 AM
PRieBuS

ctiger2
03-08-2013, 10:49 AM
PPP - Priebus Pro Panderer

compromise
03-08-2013, 10:53 AM
Why are you guys hating on Priebus when he's complimenting Rand Paul? If this thread was "Priebus slams Rand Paul's filibuster", then I'd understand, but right now I'm not really seeing your point.

jmdrake
03-08-2013, 10:57 AM
http://twitpic.com/show/large/8vlfco

enjerth
03-08-2013, 10:58 AM
Paul dropped his block on the nomination of John O. Brennan as director of the Central Intelligence Agency after receiving a letter Thursday from Attorney General Eric H. Holder Jr., who said definitively that an American not in combat could not be killed by a drone on U.S. soil. Brennan has since been confirmed by the Senate.

So, I could still be "eliminated" while visiting my wife's family in Indonesia?

This was a great step, but it's still only a step.

Thanks, Senator Paul. Keep it up. Take it to the next level, please!

surf
03-08-2013, 11:03 AM
+rep for messi picture (can't wait to see him in rave green in Seattle)
+rep for enjert hoping he and family are not on a "list"

FSP-Rebel
03-08-2013, 11:26 AM
Ya gotta actually give Preebs some props here because even if he didn't mean it, he by default, pretty much gave the impression that the RNC chair disowned the sentiments of John and Lindsey. I swear, Lindsey is letting John drag him down into the gutter more than evar.