PDA

View Full Version : Someone already cybersquatting on "StandWithRand.com"

jmdrake
03-07-2013, 05:31 PM
And no this isn't a fan site or even a critic site. It's an opportunist pure and simple.

Edit: IstandWithRand.com is also taken by a site that just says "Your website is ready".

"http://WeStandWithRand.com" is taken by Freedom Works. At least they have a webpage there that says "Tell your senator to stand with Rand Paul."

RonPaulFanInGA
03-07-2013, 05:31 PM
To the U.N.!

VoluntaryAmerican
03-07-2013, 05:33 PM
And no this isn't a fan site or even a critic site. It's an opportunist pure and simple.

Even under the conditions of Copyright... Rand has no claim to 'Stand with Rand.' He didn't invent the phrase.

dannno
03-07-2013, 05:34 PM
I can't believe YAL created a hashtag without purchasing the domain!!

cajuncocoa
03-07-2013, 05:34 PM
Even under the conditions of Copyright... Rand has no claim to 'Stand with Rand.' He didn't invent the term, my guess is a supporter did.
My guess is, FreedomWorks did....that's why they grabbed a website.

VoluntaryAmerican
03-07-2013, 05:35 PM

Yeah, that's surprising.

My guess is, FreedomWorks did....that's why they grabbed a website.

We'll see... it will be hard to prove.

ItsTime
03-07-2013, 05:36 PM
//

Kregisen
03-07-2013, 05:38 PM
Yeah not gonna lie, if Rand wins the nomination and goes for the presidency, a website like standwithrand.com would be worth quite a bit of money.

dannno
Yeah, that's surprising.

Meh, I was kinda joking, but wouldn't have been a horrible idea.

heavenlyboy34
I see no problem with this. Just buy a variation of that domain name.

donkefant
03-07-2013, 05:39 PM
We bought http://www.imstandingwithrand.com/ for Human Action Super PAC!

jmdrake
03-07-2013, 05:49 PM
Even under the conditions of Copyright... Rand has no claim to 'Stand with Rand.' He didn't invent the phrase.

Point of clarification. I'm this is worth a legal fight. Just that in this case the owner clearly isn't trying to do anything other than get free traffic to what is otherwise a pretty pathetic website. (I'm not even sure how this benefits him as I don't think anyone who finds his site this way will actually hang around and look at it.)

I see no problem with this. Just buy a variation of that domain name.

True. I mainly put this out as an FYI. If any liberty people are thinking of making a real site based on the theme, move fast.

We bought http://www.imstandingwithrand.com/ for Human Action Super PAC!

Good site! Thanks for sharing.

mport1
03-07-2013, 06:09 PM

Edit: IstandWithRand.com is also taken by a site that just says "Your website is ready".

"http://WeStandWithRand.com" is taken by Freedom Works. At least they have a webpage there that says "Tell your senator to stand with Rand Paul."

Good for them. Maybe they can make a profit off their foresight of buying that property.

angelatc
03-07-2013, 06:16 PM
Good for them. Maybe they can make a profit off their foresight of buying that property.

Absolutely. Opportunism isn't a bad thing. The whole RonPaul.com thing has muddied the water, but there's nothing wrong with buying a domain to make money from it. The concept that the UN has the power to grant rights in that respect is contra everything libertarians purport to believe in.

The Gold Standard
03-07-2013, 06:20 PM
What a pig. Let's get some state firepower over to this guy's place this instant.

PatriotOne
03-07-2013, 06:32 PM
Looks around for Newbie :toady:.

Anti-Neocon
03-07-2013, 06:33 PM
It's been in my signature before for weeks before this filibuster thing. I want the rights to it ;)

itshappening
03-07-2013, 06:58 PM
Rand needs to worry more about getting Randpaul.com from an asshole who thinks he can squat his name

RonPaulFanInGA
03-07-2013, 07:05 PM
What a pig. Let's get some state firepower over to this guy's place this instant.

A drone strike?

heavenlyboy34
03-07-2013, 07:12 PM
It's been in my signature before for weeks before this filibuster thing. I want the rights to it ;)
Too damn bad. :P

thoughtomator
03-07-2013, 07:14 PM
I got americanrandstand.com

VoluntaryAmerican
03-07-2013, 07:15 PM

I know you're joking, but you have more of a claim to it than most people. Only problem is you didn't file a request at the Copyright Office.

But there have been copyright cases that people have won based off napkin doodles... your signature is as good as that. If you're willing to involve the State to take from someone else..

heavenlyboy34
03-07-2013, 07:15 PM
Rand needs to worry more about getting Randpaul.com from an asshole who thinks he can squat his name
What's wrong with the current owner? He's using it to promote Rand. Even if he weren't, he is the rightful owner of the domain. Like Ron, Rand and his staff should've had the common sense and foresight to buy that domain first. Finders keepers, losers weepers.

jct74
03-13-2013, 05:11 AM
wackobirds.com (http://wackobirds.com/) is also now taken BTW.

opal
03-13-2013, 06:23 AM
ok.. can someone enlighten me on who gets the funds from purchasing a domain name? Who controls that?

Tod
03-13-2013, 06:27 AM
RandStand? lol

angelatc
03-13-2013, 07:57 AM

If we can get Barry Manilow on board again, maybe he can rewrite the lyrics to American Bandstand just for us. :)

angelatc
03-13-2013, 08:10 AM
ok.. can someone enlighten me on who gets the funds from purchasing a domain name? Who controls that?

I'm the last person in the world who should be answering this, so I will tell you the way I think it works and then someone else will come in and correct me.

You do not actually own your domain name. You sort of pay for the right to have the various name-servers all over the world send traffic to it when people type that name into their browser bar.

Domains actually have numbers, and the name is just an easy way for people to remember those numbers. I think of it like a phone memory. You can choose "Mom" on your cell phone list, and your phone knows to dial the number that is associated with your Mom. However, if I dial "Mom" on my phone, a different Mom get a call. But on the internet, everybody shares the same memory (sort of - they're actually called "Domain Name Servers). So when we type "Mom.com" into our browser, we both end up at the same place.

So the money probably gets split up between the people that own the official DNSs and the omnipotent overlords that control the process.

libertyplz
03-13-2013, 09:32 AM

IstandwithRand.com now says at the bottom "Paid for and authorized by Rand Paul for US Senate". So at least they got a variation of it. I think simply "standwithrand" is best, so I wish they could have gotten that domain, but this works too.

jtstellar
03-13-2013, 09:51 AM
you don't -blame- opportunism but you don't compliment people on their 'foresight' per se.. how many other fronts of society with people displaying virtue could take priority before you descend that low you stupid idiots.. it's like saying the person who happened to own a generator in hurricane katrina deserved praise because without especially transporting additional generators into the area or actually doing anything useful people predict free market and price movement would bring, he simply tried to get the highest price he could get while other people actually drove a truck and unloaded more generators into the area to help relieve the need.. there is nothing legally wrong with the price gouger's opportunism because it is the same that propels others to do things much greater, but how fucking stupid/pathetic must you be to praise these 1 or 2 individuals, you have no life, nothing else to focus on? choke on a dick

this domain name shit will have to be reformed sooner or later.. there are only so many alphabetical combination that makes sense.. it's not like technology where things can continuously evolve.. there are only so many johns and jacks and other names. it's like saying if born today you can start a john.com but born 100 years later, you have to use j0hn.com or 200 years later, mix a chinese letter after j and before 0.. why can't i be the first person to purchase the name john and kick everybody off, forcing them to rename themselves, how's that? website explosion is kind of a recent decade thing, trust me there will be some kind of resolution to this 'domain name' issue down the road because unlike digital combinations, common-sensical english words run out that much quicker and you idiots calling this to be a free market issue like your depth of libertarianism understanding is ||-----|| this deep and you have nothing else to talk about will look like complete idiots

it's also funny to think there can be two 'john's but not two 'john.com'.. what, the first person who named himself john gets to decide who can or can't be named john afterwards now? or do they owe a royalty fee? wtf is this free market concept

The concept that the UN has the power to grant rights in that respect is contra everything libertarians purport to believe in.

So the money probably gets split up between the people that own the official DNSs and the omnipotent overlords that control the process.

SO some 'overlord' or some one has and should have the ability to dictate how this whole thing works and actually collect fees but no, not UN, because there's too much demagoguery in that and ron paul is at fault for 'going to UN' instead of some other 'overlord' i guess. quite frankly some of you guys are less and less bearable to listen to since 08. libertarian understanding takes literally this long to get, not everybody continues to study or even get a degree like tom woods, not everybody spends his half day in senate to filibuster a nomination like rand paul, there's fewer than a dozen that would spend 30 years like ron paul with no expectation of thanks but some fucking 30 year old sitting in front of computer hammering on some IP issue on ron paul's head, like she knows everything else ron doesn't, and all the rest of you+her just prefer to comment on shit you don't really know about, really, where do you find these people

AuH20
03-13-2013, 10:07 AM
If we can get Barry Manilow on board again, maybe he can rewrite the lyrics to American Bandstand just for us. :)

Randy instead of Mandy. Imagine the possibilities???

liveandletlive
03-13-2013, 01:47 PM
icantstandrand.com still available somebody better grab that to prevent an anti-rand site lol

GregSarnowski
03-13-2013, 01:52 PM
standwithrand.com was registered 03-Nov-12 by Michael Trapier of Louisville, Kentucky

This is public WHOIS information. networksolutions.com/whois

eleganz
03-13-2013, 02:21 PM
All they need to do is rand2016.com/standwithrand.

We don't need a domain of everything guys...sure it'd be nice but its not do or die.

newbitech
03-13-2013, 02:30 PM
Looks around for Newbie :toady:.

http://raleighmortgagegals.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/2011.04.29-Bored-Child.jpg

thoughtomator
03-16-2013, 07:20 PM

I was just joking but someone actually registered it yesterday LOL

http://who.is/whois/americanrandstand.com

Holly, if you're listening, I'll help you develop a website for it.

angelatc
03-16-2013, 07:26 PM
Randy instead of Mandy. Imagine the possibilities???

Weekend In New Hampshire !